It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

ATS Mastery :D

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 1 2013 @ 10:55 AM
link   
I would love to see ATS take on an RPG style... experience level so to speak...

Something to replace boarders, but doesn't alienate any members... so everything is dependent on your contributions... or however they work the stats

Lets say 1000 Levels... (so Slayer69 has something to shoot for too
)

Every level should have a title.. maybe some stars or "badges"?

theres been a few "boarder" discussions lately... perhaps they just need to revamp the whole idea?

What say you?

posted on Sep, 1 2013 @ 11:12 AM
link   
reply to post by Akragon

Well i think it's a good idea. But personally i would like to see free beer every 1000 posts. And live rap battles between members. And maybe we could have dwarf throwing games in summer. But seeing as summer has nearly gone, What about naked ice river swimming. And drum and bass dance offs, Then of course we could have the famous Father Christmas look alike challenge at the end of the year. That would liven things up a bit

posted on Sep, 1 2013 @ 11:14 AM
link   
reply to post by Akragon

I have been a little doubtful of even the current star (though not the flag) system as it could potentially promote putting forth opinions that someone might believe will be agreed with rather than one's own actual opinion.

I have no alternate solution, it is just a nagging thought.

I would ask you this, who would award these credibility promotions (who is the GM?) and by what standards?

How can the free exchange of ideas be standardized?
edit on 1-9-2013 by greencmp because: (no reason given)

edit on 1-9-2013 by greencmp because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 1 2013 @ 11:22 AM
link   
reply to post by greencmp

The same way they're doing it now... by whatever stats they use...

but with more "ranks"... LOTS more!

Not just silver and gold...

edit on 1-9-2013 by Akragon because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 1 2013 @ 11:28 AM
link   
reply to post by Akragon

Essentially, you are proposing a veteranization scale in addition to karma and wats?

posted on Sep, 1 2013 @ 12:17 PM
link   
** UnPopular Opinion Warning

I may be speaking only for myself in this opinion, but I think it's an opinion worthy of adding to the discussion.

I'm fine with the de-emphasis on borders and the status symbols of seniority, if that's the right word. I think seeing someone's start date is essential for knowing they are established and basic activity stats are also helpful, when taken with other things, to determine credibility. (That can prove to be spectacularly wrong sometimes, too.. lol )

However, I wouldn't mind some of it being taken clear off the Mini- and just in profile view, for how it seems to be a focus at times.

I think it becomes a practical issue too. As the numbers start growing into the levels of nearly absurd (look at the stars Beezzer and I both have right now, as examples, and tell me there is any practical meaning anymore), I believe it comes to have a real and negative effect. I believe it brings unintended intimidation of new users and opinions.

For example, If a fairly new user posts a thread or controversial opinion and 3 or 4 or 5 of the gold border people just happen to respond at around the same time and are critical? I wonder if that is the same to the OP as 5 new/average people...or more like a 500lb gorilla just stomped through and belched as they went across the thread?

Now it's perfectly fair to say people need to be able to swim in the deep water and learn fast if they can't already. At the same time, If something may be discouraging new folks? Well...do we want a robust, open community or an elitist intellectual enclave? That's the extreme...but it's a tough time for websites and online activity, too.

We all help form the environment and whether it's friendly or stand off'ish, IMO. (Mods just make sure we don't kill each other...lol) De-emphasis makes it more friendly. Just my 2 carrot's worth.

posted on Sep, 1 2013 @ 12:43 PM
link   
So instead of telling people in conversation that I'm a moderator on ATS I will get to tell them that I'm a seventeenth level conspiracy sword spell with a permanent post removal buff.
I'm gonna be literally drowning in women

posted on Sep, 1 2013 @ 08:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by davespanners
So instead of telling people in conversation that I'm a moderator on ATS I will get to tell them that I'm a seventeenth level conspiracy sword spell with a permanent post removal buff.
I'm gonna be literally drowning in women

Geez...

I hope that's not your pick up line...

essentially this is what another member described... a veteranization scale/reward system...

Nothing spectacular... Just something to replace the boarders... perhaps with a little more fun...

Something that all members can enjoy, not just the top tier of membership

edit on 1-9-2013 by Akragon because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 1 2013 @ 08:41 PM
link   
reply to post by wrabbit2000

Hey, I don't always stomp through and belch when I post in a thread.

Sometimes I pass gas instead.

top topics

join