It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Radiation in Hawaii

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 2 2013 @ 05:22 PM
link   
Its time that citizens purchase a Geiger counter and use it when they shop not only for good but clothing and household goods. Scan the item before you pick it up..If its hot Leave it and maybe make the store manager aware
If it seems ok..pick up and scan it a few more times.

I wonder how much fish is really from the pacific thats contaminated already and being sold in stores now.

I really dont see any other point it not scanning things that we consume or live with in our homes daily.

Please be sure to self educate what is a normal reading an anything above normal.

Here are some pocket models tho I dont know if they will work after an EMP or Solar Flare that takes out the grid.

www.geigercounters.com...

posted on Sep, 2 2013 @ 06:26 PM
link   
I hope there is a special place in hell for people that destroy not only life but the earth which grants it.

posted on Sep, 2 2013 @ 06:26 PM
link   
reply to post by lynxpilot

This is what I've found. If it was so radioactive, the troops loading/handling the bullets would all get sick. You can't say it only get "hot" when it's broken up as it's a solid, very hard element so it can pass through regular steel.

posted on Sep, 2 2013 @ 06:31 PM
link   
reply to post by wrkn4livn

It's the tiny dust particles that they've found are the real problem with DU. When it hits, it shatters. It's a shelf sharpening penetrator, so it fractures and sharpens itself. But it also starts to burn, and come apart as it goes through the armor, so you end up with dust. If you are nearby that dust can get into your body, and become dangerous. That's when it becomes dangerous, not when you're handling it.

posted on Sep, 2 2013 @ 07:25 PM
link   
reply to post by Zaphod58

Zaphod, You seem to be very educated about this subject my friend, I have followed what you have had to say in various threads concerning it. Would you recommend a Geiger counter for anyone who lives on The West coast of the United States of America? Also, Do you own one yourself? ~$heopleNation

posted on Sep, 2 2013 @ 07:57 PM
link   
reply to post by SheopleNation

I would, but just so that you can get your own measurements, and verify for yourself what the levels are, without having to hunt for them, and find questionable sources, or sources that you aren't sure of. We're going to see an increase, but I don't think it's going to be the ELE or major die off event that it's being made out to be.

posted on Sep, 2 2013 @ 08:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by Zaphod58
I would, but just so that you can get your own measurements, and verify for yourself what the levels are, without having to hunt for them, and find questionable sources, or sources that you aren't sure of. We're going to see an increase, but I don't think it's going to be the ELE or major die off event that it's being made out to be.

Zap, I appreciate the advice, and Yeah I understand what you're saying. I myself believe that it will be really, really bad, but not ELE either. Yet it will be bad over a stretch of decades and maybe further. I don't understand the science behind it all, so those are just assumptions and that is why I was asking you because it seems like you're pretty well educated concerning the subject.

Michio Kaku, Who I have personally been honored enough to meet, told me at Chabot Space & Science Center during dinner after his brilliant presentation that eventually this could lead to the end of The Japanese Islands being inhabited whatsoever by mankind.

Publically he holds his tongue when speaking about Japan itself. Probably to avoid any imperial entanglements with the Japanese Government. He also says that we still don't know what the end result will be because we have never had a disaster such as this leaking into water, let alone the Pacific Ocean.

Anyway, I appreciate the response my friend. ~$heopleNation

posted on Sep, 2 2013 @ 09:37 PM
link   

Uranium is a rare substance in the crust. It has no utility in human body.

U-238 is absolutely dangerous for humans, despite whatever US government says.

Particle of U-238 cannot be digested or excreted from human body. It will get lodged like a bullet, and a tumor will start to cover the particle. If you have any doubt, you can try it on your own body.

Any soldier who is close enough to DU dust will suffer. If a tank is attacked by DU round, the resulting dust will persist in the soil and air for weeks, and other passing vehicles and humans in the area will pick up that dust. It gets worse in dry areas (like Iraq and Afghanistan) where dust is not washed away by water.

posted on Sep, 2 2013 @ 09:39 PM
link   

Fukushima is indeed bad. Imagine a day when hundreds of nuke plants become Fukushima in a global war.

posted on Sep, 2 2013 @ 10:22 PM
link   
The current background count in Kailua-Kona is 24 CPM. Very very low. To accumulate one Sievert of exposure would take several lifetimes--hundreds of years.
www.radiationnetwork.com...

To convert CPM to Sievert dosage:
108 CPM is about 1 uSv/hr for C060, and for Cs137 it is around 120 CPM per 1 uSv/hr.

So exposure to a background count of 120 CPM due to Cs137 would take 1 million hours to accumulate a dose of 1 Sievert. That's 120 years.
edit on 2-9-2013 by MuzzleBreak because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 2 2013 @ 10:27 PM
link   

edit on 9/2/2013 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 2 2013 @ 10:30 PM
link   
reply to post by GargIndia

Hence the comment that it becomes dangerous when used, and it becomes dust. You can handle DU all day with no long term effects at all. But when it becomes dust, and is taken into the body it becomes more dangerous although studies have interestingly shown that pieces of DU in the body aren't necessarily a rapid death sentence.

posted on Sep, 2 2013 @ 10:32 PM
link   

That I can actually see happening. Something is going to come about from this, but not the doom pron that everyone says it is going to be. But if something is not done that works, I can see the Japanese islands becoming uninhabitable. The problem is doing something that is going to work, and isn't being done just to do something.

posted on Sep, 2 2013 @ 11:19 PM
link   
People really need to calm down with this radiation stuff - especially if they don't have a basic understanding of physics. Yes it's a mess in Japan. Any heavy metal is bad for the human body so obviously direct ingestion of (depleted) Uranium is going to be harmful. But to go as far to say that a vacation in Hawaii is suicide is just plain dumb.

Heck you can actually go visit Chernobyl and as long as you don't disturb the dust on the ground you will be OK. Radiation is only harmful if accumulated inside your body over a long period of time. If you're just passing by an area with slightly higher radiation you will not suffer any consequences. A CAT scan is probably more dangerous than vacationing in Hawaii!

Astronauts who live in space for months absorb more radiation than most humans on Earth and still don't suffer from higher rates of diseases or shorter life spans.

It's as simple as that.

posted on Sep, 3 2013 @ 05:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by GargIndia
Fukushima is indeed bad. Imagine a day when hundreds of nuke plants become Fukushima in a global war.

I hear what you're saying because I have thought about that myself. However, That would be suicidal if the Nation that was attacked had Nuclear weapons like America, Europe, Russia, China, India, Pakistan ect. I believe hitting those targets would be viewed the same as being attacked with Nukes.

If it turned out to be a conventional mutual agreed war without Nukes (kind of like war without chemical weapons), I doubt any Nation would be foolish enough to use them unless it was their last desperate card of defense.

To me, Natural disasters are the largest threat to world wide Nuclear facilities. I don't know, crazy times we live in. ~$heopleNation

posted on Sep, 5 2013 @ 03:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by tsurfer2000h
reply to post by signalfire

Oddly, they seem to find it dangerous. It completely contradicts whatshisname's contention that DU is safe...of course, his information seems to be anonymous and second or third-hand so it's hardly anything I'd want to bet my life or the life of the entire planet on...

So if your talking about me please explain to me how the Hawaii Department of Health, and the Department of Veterans Affairs are third party or anonymous and second or third hand information?

Here you go do a little research before calling something anonymous or second hand information..

www.va.gov...

BTW they are the second largest department behind the DoD.

Who do you think makes sure things are safe for the people of Hawaii?

health.hawaii.gov...

Do some research, because you are wrong and have been proven wrong many times in this thread already.

And if you want to talk about using third party information then you need to look at your own link...

gulfwarvets.com...

At least the links I provided are from official departments and not some person linking to those sites.
edit on 2-9-2013 by tsurfer2000h because: (no reason given)

I wasn't talking to you.

I was talking to the 'fighter plane kanji' poster who quoted some friend of his who hangs out in Hawaii, as well as his year's prior Hawaii residency as proof that everything's okie dokie.

I posted the initial video for the sake of educational purposes, it's not 'my information', it's the opinion of Leuren Moret and given her status in the field, deserved a hearing.

The reason I picked on the above poster was because he jumped on the thread so quickly, he had no way of even actually considering the initial information. That's what disinfo agents do. His self-proclaimed 'thread killer' avatar doesn't help his case. Why would someone want to 'kill a thread' rather than rationally discuss the possible educational value?

And for the few utterly idiotic posters who seem to think that depleted uranium babies are hoaxes, I hope you never have to find out personally. Feel free to prove it's a hoax rather than cite your own unschooled beliefs.

posted on Sep, 5 2013 @ 07:08 AM
link   
reply to post by signalfire

Oh yes, my friend just hands out in Hawaii. He's hung out there his entire life.

And I just live to kill threads. I get paid good money to do it.

There is nothing really to discuss as the source of this information is clearly wrong and sensationalized. There was no possible cause to her other than DU. If the DU had been there since the 1960s (which small amounts have been), and since radiation is cumulative, I should have been seeing an increase when I lived there already. She took some readings and instead of considering other causes, she screamed DU.

posted on Sep, 5 2013 @ 08:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by SheopleNation

Zaphod, You seem to be very educated about this subject my friend, I have followed what you have had to say in various threads concerning it. Would you recommend a Geiger counter for anyone who lives on The West coast of the United States of America? Also, Do you own one yourself? ~$heopleNation

I grabbed one of Ebay was a cheap unit around $150, good investment for your own piece of mind due to the ongoing Fukushima saga.

posted on Sep, 5 2013 @ 09:12 PM
link   
reply to post by racebyu

Hey thank you my friend, I appreciate that. ~$heopleNation

posted on Sep, 9 2013 @ 01:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by Zaphod58
reply to post by akalepos

The last survey I know of done at Pohakaloa, done by helicopter, couldn't tell how much DU was on the ground because the growth was so thick they couldn't see the ground. There is zero evidence based on plant and animal life in the area the DU was found that radiation is causing any problems with the plant or animal life around it.

That's interesting. Sorry I haven't replied for a bit. Been doing other things.

It could be that the OP was just putting out some histrionic drama stuff, I do not know.

I don't live out there and know absolutely nothing about that all.

<< 2  3  4    6 >>

join