It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Radiation in Hawaii

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 1 2013 @ 10:48 AM
link   

Radiation in Hawaii

www.earth-heal.com

The radiation levels in Hawaii have been extremely high for a long time, not just because of Fukushima, but also because of the US military firing test missiles in the islands, which Leuren Moret says contain uranium.
(visit the link for the full news article)

edit on 9/1/2013 by semperfortis because: Copy the EXACT Headline

posted on Sep, 1 2013 @ 10:48 AM
link   
Taking paradise and putting up a (radioactive) parking lot...

Depleted uranium military testing ranges (denied) plus Fukushima plus residuals from 60+ years of atomic testing results in radiation levels 9 times expected background. Locals are reporting extreme damage to the coral reefs and severely deformed produce as well as obvious lesions on local fish and marine mammals.

www.earth-heal.com

+12 more 
posted on Sep, 1 2013 @ 10:50 AM
link   
I never understood why the tested their nukes in tropical paradises. It's like they hate pretty things.

posted on Sep, 1 2013 @ 10:55 AM
link   
A premise based on depleted uranium rounds causing a radiation issue is a HOAX.

Depleted uranium is used because of its density (more than lead) so it is more penetrating against armor. It has nothing to do with radiation. Depleted uranium is almost pure U-238 (vice other isotopes), has a very long half life, therefore it's nuclear activity is very low, and decays in low energy radiation. It came out of the ground, and using it for bullets just puts it right back into the ground. It is very chemically stable, so it's not like leaching would be a hazard either.

posted on Sep, 1 2013 @ 11:02 AM
link   
reply to post by lynxpilot

You're so incredibly misinformed I have to wonder if you're here from the government to cover for war crimes.

Feel free to google 'depleted uranium babies in Iraq' and then tell me it's a hoax.

Warning to the faint of heart; I have never in my life been closer to vomiting after seeing a photograph. Women in Iraq have been told just to not have children anymore due to the percentage of babies being born with horrific birth defects. The US government has knowingly permanently poisoned the cradle of civilization and that dust is on the winds of the planet, world wide. It was detected in Great Britain years ago.

posted on Sep, 1 2013 @ 11:03 AM
link   
Here is some info on the set limits of radiation exposure.

www.e-radiography.net...

+7 more 
posted on Sep, 1 2013 @ 11:05 AM
link   
reply to post by signalfire

I lived in Hawaii for years, and I used to have to test x-ray machine radiation levels (including machines that were in areas that were open air. And you know what the background levels were? Almost nothing. We're talking 0.002 readings. This person is an idiot and has no idea what they're talking about.

The missiles that are fired at Barking Sands are dummies, they have no warhead, no depleted uranium, nothing that could increase radioactivity, not to mention the fact that I could count yearly test firings on one hand, and have most of my fingers left over afterwards.

"Hawaii trips are suicide because of radiation levels". Jesus what a freaking joke. All of my friends, and some of my family still live there, and not one of them has even begun to get sick, nothing unusual is happening there due to radiation levels.

posted on Sep, 1 2013 @ 11:06 AM
link   
reply to post by Marsupilami

The enviroment was even a consideration during testing. They just thought the island targets were ideal because they were far away from everything. Growing up in the 50's and 60's....they had the thought generally that everything would go back to normal.

And opponents (like you n me) were saying..." Yeah. But what about the enviroment in 50's years (us-now)?". The enviroment and long term effects wasnt a consideration to them then. It was a non-issue.

Remember too, we put live troops underneath the fallout and near the bombs...to see what effects they would have....

posted on Sep, 1 2013 @ 11:08 AM
link   

You're so incredibly naïve if you believe the Iraq DU babies hoax.

posted on Sep, 1 2013 @ 11:08 AM
link   
reply to post by Zaphod58

Your previous experience (what years?) in Hawaii don't count for recent exposures. You *do* realize that radiation exposure is cumulative and the damage can take years to show up right?

She doesn't say that you'll drop dead immediately, only that the levels appear far higher than normal background should be.

posted on Sep, 1 2013 @ 11:09 AM
link   
reply to post by lynxpilot

Hoax? So I presume you think the pictures are faked?

+2 more 
posted on Sep, 1 2013 @ 11:14 AM
link   

That was within the last 7 years. The military has been firing into Barking Sands for decades. Radiation levels don't just suddenly go from 0.002 to "suicide" levels overnight. Even a massive release such as Fukushima doesn't drive levels up to dangerous levels immediately. As you said "radiation is cumulative".

I've sent a request to my friend that still lives and works there that will put an end to this once and for all. He will take background levels for me by early in the week and send me the numbers. Or isn't that going to be good enough? Let me guess, there's no way to prove that he is really there, right? I'll have him take pics of the rad meter sitting there getting a reading with something that proves that he's in Hawaii as well.

posted on Sep, 1 2013 @ 11:19 AM
link   

Naturally occurring background radiation is the main source of exposure for most people, and provides some perspective on radiation exposure from nuclear energy. The average dose received by all of us from background radiation is around 2.4 mSv/yr, which can vary depending on the geology and altitude where people live – ranging between 1 and 10 mSv/yr, but can be more than 50 mSv/yr. The highest known level of background radiation affecting a substantial population is in Kerala and Madras states in India where some 140,000 people receive doses which average over 15 millisievert per year from gamma radiation, in addition to a similar dose from radon. Comparable levels occur in Brazil and Sudan, with average exposures up to about 40 mSv/yr to many people. (The highest level of natural background radiation recorded is on a Brazilian beach: 800 mSv/yr, but people don’t live there.) Several places are known in Iran, India and Europe where natural background radiation gives an annual dose of more than 100 mSv to people and up to 260 mSv (at Ramsar in Iran, where some 200,000 people are exposed to more than 10 mSv/yr). Lifetime doses from natural radiation range up to several thousand millisievert. However, there is no evidence of increased cancers or other health problems arising from these high natural levels. The millions of nuclear workers that have been monitored closely for 50 years have no higher cancer mortality than the general population but have had up to ten times the average dose. People living in Colorado and Wyoming have twice the annual dose as those in Los Angeles, but have lower cancer rates.

www.world-nuclear.org...-2q_I

posted on Sep, 1 2013 @ 11:24 AM
link   
reply to post by NeoParadigm

One of the nice things about Hawaii being made up almost entirely of lava rock is that the background levels are really low to begin with. Some types of bedrock, and rocks (granite and I believe marble to an extent), emit natural radiation (albeit at very low levels). Lava rock is so porous that it's not easy for it to hold or emit radiation.

posted on Sep, 1 2013 @ 11:25 AM
link   

results in radiation levels 9 times expected background.

Can we see these results?

posted on Sep, 1 2013 @ 11:28 AM
link   
The government is so two faced in its policies concerning the environment. When they, or their big corporate buddies, want to pollute or negatively alter the the environment for their profit, it's all good, it's a green light for go, but the private citizen, or even federal services for the general public, are "regulated" to death.

Here's an example. A buddy of mine was a "host camper" managing a federal camp ground on a small lake. The lake has a beach, boat launch and docks, however, because no one has been maintaining the beach and boat launch, the cat tails, reeds and rushes had been growing and taking over. So, when they decided they needed to clear the area for the public's use, they had all these agencies involved (like the EPA, etc.) who came around and said they can't do any improvements for the public use because it was now a "natural wetland" and couldn't be altered. They threw out the whole idea of the park being a public service facility due to their environmental policies. So much for public use. Yet, it was only a few years ago, such rustic federal campgrounds were free to the public. Of course they have hired a private management company that charges people for it's use and pay a host camper to be a minimum wage slave enforcer to bring in the money.

So we can see it is OK, matter of fact, its great for the military industrial complex to get away with pollution and environmental destruction, but you'd be damned if you want to make improvements to your own private property or to the public's property managed by the feds. Obviously if you don't have clout due to money and influence, you wouldn't dare disturb the cattails or drive on a seasonal trail, etc. Screw you government.
edit on 1-9-2013 by MichiganSwampBuck because: for clarity

edit on 1-9-2013 by MichiganSwampBuck because: typo

posted on Sep, 1 2013 @ 11:29 AM
link   
reply to post by Zaphod58

Great! Have him get as many samples as possible with the prevailing wind from as many directions as possible. And stop presuming I won't believe he is in Hawaii, your scorn shows your prevailing attitude towards other people's honest opinions.

You *do* realize that radiation is cumulative, right? And that she doesn't say you're going to drop dead immediately from it, more like more is not better and at some point, cancer or other radiation-connected diseases will become more frequent or happen sooner rather than later.

Just because your fingers haven't fallen off yet doesn't mean you weren't exposed. And your exposures 7 years ago predate Fukushima's global poisoning.

If your radiation training comes from working for the U.S. Government as I presume from your avatar, you may be sadly misinformed. It's not like your employer tells the truth about much of anything.

Read the free on line pdf of 'We Almost Lost Detroit' for what happens when there's a nuclear accident at a small nuclear power test site and the results are hushed up. The three dead guys needed to be buried in lead-lined caskets. Hardly a hoax.

posted on Sep, 1 2013 @ 11:31 AM
link   
reply to post by NeoParadigm

It's in the video.

posted on Sep, 1 2013 @ 11:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by signalfire

Taking paradise and putting up a (radioactive) parking lot...

Depleted uranium military testing ranges (denied) plus Fukushima plus residuals from 60+ years of atomic testing results in radiation levels 9 times expected background. Locals are reporting extreme damage to the coral reefs and severely deformed produce as well as obvious lesions on local fish and marine mammals.

www.earth-heal.com

Do you know of health/ Cancer issues? Whats the numbers compared too... ( ?) that info would be interesting...

posted on Sep, 1 2013 @ 11:35 AM
link   

Actually, my training DOESN'T come from the government, so now who's assuming?

Yes, I'm well aware (better than most) that radiation is cumulative, but at "9 times higher than background" there should have already been a spike in illnesses at least. People with compromised immune systems, and that are predisposed to cancer and other radiation illnesses should have already shown the beginning signs of illnesses related to radiation levels.

If the radiation levels were as dangerously high as they claim (and the title of the video is "Vacation in Hawaii is suicide"), then there should already be the beginning effects from radiation poisoning.

Here's another little interesting bit for you. Radiation from Fukushima would have hit Alaska first before Hawaii, due to the winds. The Jetstream tends to go right up over Japan, and right by Alaska. So why aren't these big radiation levels being shown there as well? Someone in one of the major cities would have measured by now I'm sure.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join