It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Lose pounds to gain ounces! This is the golden diet!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 1 2013 @ 09:56 AM
link   
Well, have you ever thought to yourself, you'd get those extra pounds off if someone would just pay you to? Okay, probably not in those terms. However, to give a little light news for a change? I found some place where losing weight is making some people money. Leave it to nations with more money than they can find ways to spend.

DUBAI, United Arab Emirates (AP) — Dieters going for the gold in Dubai have hit the scales at the end of a five-week challenge — with the biggest loser dropping enough to earn him more than $3,200 worth of the precious metal.

Now that's what I call a golden diet! Of course, they do have guidelines and specific rules for their effort.

Anyone shedding more than 10 kilos (22 pounds) earns three grams of gold per kilo lost. Smaller gold payouts were given for those who lost between two and 10 kilos.
Source

How is that for a contrast? Stories in the West lately showcase new laws and fees and fines to make people lose weight. Dubai just pays them by the pound. Like a reverse take-out.

I know which approach I'd bet proves more effective. Too bad this doesn't sound like a long term thing. I could have seen Dubai becoming the retirement choice of Sumo wrestlers everywhere.

posted on Sep, 1 2013 @ 10:31 AM
link   
Is there a penalty for gaining the weight back?

What's to prevent someone from losing weight, taking the payout, and then gaining it back and losing it again for another payout?

I know I lose and find the same five pounds over and over again... frankly, I think they hide under the bed and jump back on again at some point when I get up in the morning.

posted on Sep, 1 2013 @ 10:55 AM
link   
reply to post by signalfire

Yeah, I thought about that too, as an obvious thing. Talk about a new phrase to coin. "A buffet a day, keeps poverty away". It would sure bring new meaning to eating your money's worth. The ways this gets humorous just keep on coming.

It does look like a one time P.R. campaign to raise awareness though. Not bad, even for that though is it?

(Mentally compares on scale)

Millions spent on TV air time or A huge contest, where doing the right thing pays

Dubai needs to share the details and get a trend going. It might be found to work!

join