It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How the Fukushima Ice Barrier Will Block Radioactive Groundwater

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 5 2013 @ 01:12 PM
link   
i'm confused about the groundwater. i can't see how that much groundwater is flowing into the ocean. where is it exiting? i'm not sure it's flowing through the plant as much as rising up into it. i personally think all the waste water that's going into the ocean is being dumped there by TEPCO knowingly because they never did have an end solution and they knew they'd run out of room.

at this point i see them convincing us all that dumping the water into the ocean is the best idea. they've got WAY TOO MUCH in storage now that they don't know what to do with.

and can someone direct me to information that describes exactly how they are pumping the water in.... where it comes from, and if there is any decontamination going on at all with the water at any point?

thanks

posted on Sep, 5 2013 @ 01:30 PM
link   
There are several problems to be dealt with in regards to groundwater flow. These graphics will demonstrate some, but certainly not all, of the issues to be faced:

Tepco "Water Wall" plan in Japanese,
above image translated by manicminxx in this post.

More from the same report translated by manicminxx:

Originally posted by manicminxx
J&C, no idea about the water wall, unfortunately. The literal meanings of the characters for "particles" in that picture are "grain-child," so it is, unfortunately, a very broad term. When there are things not explicitly said but likely inferred, I promise I will make notes at the bottom to convey as much as possible.

All that being said, For this next image, do you have any more context than what I could translate? Only because there's a character that could mean "tearing/severing/breaking" (as in the earth) or "analysis" (as in the document). It changes the meaning of the image considerably and there's really not enough context for me to say definitely what it is, one way or the other.

I'm on a roll... if anyone wants anything else translated.
Again, it's not native, but hopefully a bit more informative than Google translator.

Original post here

From this post Aircooled in the mega thread and further analyzed in this post by me in the same thread, to whit:

Tomioka Layer:
The Geology of Fukushima (direct link to 1.21 MB pdf)

The good news is that the radioactive water leaking from the plant will not be able to spread towards the Japanese inland and the Abukuma plateau due to the downward slope of the geological layers. The bad news is that there exists a fault which appears to be active right under the Fukushima Daiichi plant itself: this allows, and will continue to allow, radioactive pollution of aquifers over a depth of several hundreds of meters, as it runs through the different "waterproof" strata (4). This also means that the radionuclides will naturally be carried towards the sea by this underground water stream flowing through the permeable layers of sandstone. Sandstone is indeed the ideal rock for aquifers, as it is both permeable and fractured, providing easy movement of water. And finally, there is the problem of the type of rock on which the plant was built being rather "soft", meaning that an earthquake can only destabilize the buildings.

As early as March 31, 2011, Tepco announced that the groundwater was contaminated with radioactive iodine, according to an analysis of a sample taken at a depth of 15 meters under the first reactor (link ). Today, if one or more coriums have sunk into the ground, this pollution has very likely been increasing. But Tepco no longer shares any information about the pollution of groundwater. Their only concern is to present a beautiful reassuring façade, which will never solve this disastrous pollution of soil and groundwater: underground contamination is irreparable, because there is no access to it.
emphasis mine.

This has been going on for over two years now.

I'd like to make note of the reference to methane gas in regards to reactor 3 that seems to traverse into reactor 4, is it possible that the earthquake disrupted a pocket of methane beneath the site that seeped into R3 and thence into R4 building to explosive levels and that it was a methane explosion that destroyed reactor 4 rather than a hydrogen explosion?

I don't think hydrogen would do the damage that is obvious in reactor 4.

We'd have to know the volume of the building to be able to determine the explosive potential present if methane were to reach the proper air/fuel ratio and then be able to match that to the damage as presented in the pictures. No video has ever surfaced of reactor 4's explosion, that I know of.

Redneck, do you really think that the coriums have completely ablated the concrete basemats of the foundations and are now open in the environment below the reactor buildings? And, if so, how deep do you think they have dug?

posted on Sep, 5 2013 @ 09:23 PM
link   
I'm glad they finally admitted the true problem and that they're working on it, but honestly I'm still concerned.

Should we even trust the Japanese Govt. and/or TEPCO? Considering this affects the rest of the world shouldn't other govts. or the UN have a say in handing this disaster?

either way I hope it isn't too late especially considering the already leaking/lost water.

posted on Sep, 6 2013 @ 12:12 PM
link   
SO another thought hit me.

Remember that building course I did 20 years ago? and the use of ice walls.

The context was FOUNDATIONS!

As in: to build heavy foundations for buildings you need to keep the edge soil stable usually by metal piling down and then digging out the foundation in the middle.

Is that what they are planning? circle the reactor buildings with the ice wall and then dig it all inside the wall to get clear side ways access to all of the reactor buildings from the foundations up.

Advantages: Can start to pump in coolant from the bottom, find out where the hell the cores actually are!, and be in a better position to remove what is possible and entomb the rest. Also ground water cant flow through air.

posted on Sep, 7 2013 @ 12:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by jazzguy

Do they even have a clue as to the precise position of the core material ?

lol they dont know anything, remember you are talking about the same people that thought it would be a great idea to build a nuclear power plant on an active fault line, on a coast and at sea level. Massive earthquakes and tsunami assault the coast every century, yet these idiots didnt hesitate building nuclear reactors.
not too bright there

Actually you're advocating that we prepare for nonexistant scenarios and are also telling probably 75%+ of the world that they can't use nuclear power. Did you know people live on faults too??? It's crazy!!! There's this small dumb college called Berkeley and it's right on a fault. They should close that too, immediately.

posted on Sep, 7 2013 @ 12:23 PM
link   
Oh and, Fukushima survived the record earthquake and it was only the Tsunmai after that pushed things over the edge. And that was a half a century old facility.

Diablo Canyon nuclear facility in the US is based in a known seismically active area. It's only rated to withstand an earthquake up to 7.5.

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join