It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Scientists: Earth’s Core Hotter than Previously Thought

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 1 2013 @ 06:27 AM
link   

French researchers have determined that the temperature of the Earth’s core is 10,800 degrees Fahrenheit (6,000 oC) – about 1,800 oF (1,000 oC) hotter than previously thought.

www.sci-news.com...

The team determined experimentally the melting point of iron up to 8,700 degrees Fahrenheit and 2.2 million atmospheres pressure, and then used an extrapolation method to determine that at 3.3 million atmospheres, the pressure at the border between liquid and solid core, the temperature would be 10,800 degrees Fahrenheit.

"We are of course very satisfied that our experiment validated today’s best theories on heat transfer from the Earth’s core and the generation of the Earth’s magnetic field. I’m hopeful that in the not-so-distant future, we can reproduce in our laboratories, and investigate with synchrotron X-rays, every state of matter inside the Earth,” Dr Dewaele concluded.

I figured it was very hot at the center of the earth (they used to say 6000 F was the magic number?) and once it gets hotter than a few thousand degrees then it is just to darn hot...Amazing how they can work out theories and devise experiments for the theories to come up with an answer... IMO.

posted on Sep, 1 2013 @ 07:19 AM
link   
If only we could tap its rotational or even geothermal energy imagine the possibilities?

Guess we need to learn how to produce Unobtainium before any of the above prospects become a reality.
LoL

posted on Sep, 1 2013 @ 07:20 AM
link   
reply to post by 727Sky

As Ms. Hilton would say, "That's hot"

So the core is 1/6th hotter than previously measured, which is quite a bit. Thanks for this find.
edit on 1-9-2013 by Aleister because: pic

posted on Sep, 1 2013 @ 07:34 AM
link   
Makes me wonder what they based the first guess on...
Perhaps that's modern science, a guessing game

posted on Sep, 1 2013 @ 07:41 AM
link   
reply to post by Spacespider

Modern science, and I use the term modern loosely, is indeed a guessing game. Any theory is just a best guess reinforced by data that supports the conclusion until a better answer comes along.

The point is as our scientific progress gets better so our theories and guesses become more accurate.

edit on 1-9-2013 by andy06shake because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 1 2013 @ 08:30 AM
link   
Wow, instant Global warming....1000 deg C in one swoop.

posted on Sep, 1 2013 @ 11:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by gort51
Wow, instant Global warming....1000 deg C in one swoop.

Quote of the day candidate!

new topics

top topics

join