It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

New UK TV drama explores life after cyber attack on the national grid – Blackout

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 1 2013 @ 06:01 AM
link   
I posted a link to this new UK show in a thread detailing a major drill due to take place across America later this fall that will look at the emergency response to an attack on the US national grid. Blackout, the UK TV drama due to air in September, will detail life in a post cyber-attack Britain where the national grid goes down for five days. Uniquely, the show's format will be 'citizen journalism' – utilising cut-in video footage from mobile phones, video blogs etc.

Adding fuel to conspiracy flames, but an interesting coincidence that this show will air just before a major drill with the same theme in the US. I have often wondered how close people have got to causing major disruption to national grids and wonder even more how vulnerable they are to attack.

Blackout – new TV drama exploring life post cyber attack on UK national grid
edit on 1-9-2013 by LarryLove because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 1 2013 @ 06:19 AM
link   
reply to post by LarryLove

How does that work? If the grid is down, power in mobile devices wont last 5 days certainly not if theyre recording video. Blogs just won't even exist.

Good premise, I guess.

But even with power my useless devices don't even last a day with intermittent use.

As long as it's not a dawdly as Revolution... oh goodness.. started off so well too, I thought.

I rekon if we could survive the first few months and sort out the criminal elements, we would be a lot better off with no power. Says I encased in a cube of asbestos, wood, and electricity.

You know what I mean though... that feeling you get when you get away from it all, or when the power does go out and suddenly your street has life. You find you have an interest in things that don't go beep.

Mind you, when I'm really struggling to make things work, I have been known to make my own chair out of rope and lumps of wood... maybe those less inclined would simply devolve back into lesser primates and scurry up a tree never to be seen again.

Also, Win!

edit on 1-9-2013 by winofiend because: eek

posted on Sep, 1 2013 @ 06:30 AM
link   
reply to post by winofiend

You make an interesting point about how long before we miss the bleeps of things and whether community spirit would prevail after the initial anarchy. I think the programme will look at that aspect in detail – anarchy and how people revert to base instincts before, if at all, adapting their lives.

posted on Sep, 1 2013 @ 06:45 AM
link   
If the grid goes we are all stuffed, even for 5 days:

You won't unless its cash in your pocket be able to buy or sell.
Your toilet won't flush,
your fridge/freezer will defrost as will all the supermarkets
you won't be able to get fuel for your drive
the country will be put under the army/police.
In short nothing electrical will work unless you have a generator.
Imagine the hue and cry when the tv goes off and after batteries can't be recharged on computers etc.
all financial markets will be relying on generators if they have them
But you won't get a pint at the local unless its bottled, so bad luck Brits
It will take time to get the lines back up and repaired
But if the attack is designed to damage by overload parts of the grid
and it gets damaged and vital parts have to be replaced, the industries in the UK that use to make parts for the grid, (I did hear) have all gone so getting parts, and getting repairs carried out could take a very, very long time.
the Health Service will be over run
you will worry like mad about loved ones.
so you need not worry about your paying your bills and taxes.

posted on Sep, 1 2013 @ 06:52 AM
link   
reply to post by Shiloh7

All very good points and it will be interesting to see how this TV drama plays them out. It is the human interest aspect that I find curious. Although with each day that goes by it is hard not to see humans as a plague, events that affect everyone usually offer most opportunity for change.

posted on Sep, 1 2013 @ 07:26 AM
link   
reply to post by LarryLove

Perhaps its because we are focused on the worst of those humans because they have slithered their way to the top. I could make a list of those that Icke's 'reptilian type' suit and its all for the same linked objective money=power.

I always have the deepest faith in humanity because of the way we try to help each other if we can. But humanity under threat of starvation and too many mouths to feed with undoubtedly cause blood to flow.

top topics

join