More Proof that Titan has an ocean.!.Kinda neat how they figured this one out..

page: 1

join

posted on Sep, 1 2013 @ 05:23 AM
link   

The scientists used new data from NASA’s Cassini spacecraft. They were surprised to find a negative correlation between the gravity and topography signals on Titan.

“Normally, if you fly over a mountain, you expect to see an increase in gravity due to the extra mass of the mountain. On Titan, when you fly over a mountain the gravity gets lower. That’s a very odd observation,” said study co-author Prof Francis Nimmo, also from the University of California, Santa Cruz

“Because ice is lower density than water, you get less gravity when you have a big chunk of ice there than when you have water,” Prof Nimmo said.

An iceberg floating in water is in equilibrium, its buoyancy balancing out its weight. In this model of Titan, however, the roots extending below the ice sheet are so much bigger than the bumps on the surface that their buoyancy is pushing them up against the ice sheet.

www.sci-news.com...

Cassini is once again bringing us great Science.. Most of us who have looked at Titan to include scientist have believed due to tidal forces produces by Jupiter there is an actual ocean under the ice...Just one more element of the theory to make it a scientific fact.
edit on 1-9-2013 by 727Sky because: ....

posted on Sep, 1 2013 @ 05:26 AM
link   
Are we talking ocean like the Pacific or ocean like the Atlantic, because, the pacific has great beaches but the Atlantic is just plain dreary. I'm not booking vacation time if it's the latter...

posted on Sep, 1 2013 @ 05:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by boncho
Are we talking ocean like the Pacific or ocean like the Atlantic, because, the pacific has great beaches but the Atlantic is just plain dreary. I'm not booking vacation time if it's the latter...

Actually more like an Ocean of Titan and so far, no beach front property is for sale......They haven't found the beach yet??

posted on Sep, 1 2013 @ 12:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by 727Sky

Originally posted by boncho

Actually more like an Ocean of Titan and so far, no beach front property is for sale......They haven't found the beach yet??

I don't think they found a beach of Titan's underground water ocean yet -- but they HAVE found beaches (or at least a shoreline) along the liquid methane lakes on Titan's surface:

A Methane Lake on Titan

However, considering that the lake is liquid methane, I'm thinking it is a bit too cold there to sun bathe or take a dip in the lake.

edit on 9/1/2013 by Soylent Green Is People because: Link fomatting

posted on Sep, 1 2013 @ 12:35 PM
link   
reply to post by boncho

I moved from Florida to California and I disggree. The beaches in. LA county all the way to SD are filthy and cold.
Miami is a tropical paradise by comparison.
Id venture both are better than a Methane lake beach on Titan, tho...:-)

join