It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Syria 'human shields': President Assad moves inmates from prisons to military targets ahead of pos

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 1 2013 @ 02:39 PM
link   
reply to post by Honor93

I wouldn't recommend eating crow, it can steal your soul.

Eat pigeon instead.

Reuters

Officials in Washington, rejecting comparisons with the 2003 U.S.-led invasion of Iraq, say any campaign would likely include cruise missiles from U.S. ships in the Mediterranean, last only days and target military installations including air defenses.

They may, however, involve casualties among the Sunni Muslim majority that has led the revolt against Assad.

Some military and security bases are used as prisons for civilian detainees, human rights groups say, and rebels who have fled their posts say many soldiers of a low rank are imprisoned on military sites because they are Sunnis.

Most of the commanding officers are from Assad's Alawite sect, an off-shoot of Shi'ite Islam, and fear their subordinates will defect, flee their posts or coordinate with rebel units, defectors say.

Also found here
Jpost

There are also various stories floating about of Assad continuing to move forces and equipment before the bombing begins...this would make a lot of sense as he has the time and has ample reason to want to protect his investment in Chem Weapons.

NDTV

Opposition activists say that in anticipation of US strikes, the army has started moving personnel and military equipment, including Scud missiles, to protect supplies.

Many of those working in secret police compounds that dominate the capital have also moved - into schools and civilian buildings, residents, diplomats and opposition activists said.

A woman living in the western Kfar Souseh district, which is home to Military Intelligence and other security compounds, said security personnel armed with AK-47s rifles and carrying radios had taken up residence in the basement of her apartment bloc.

"They are loudly playing the song 'We Are Your Army Bashar,'" she said. "Imagine if you are living somewhere for years and 60 gunmen you don't know suddenly barge into your building and live there," she said.

Activist Moaz al-Shami, who is compiling a list of schools where security and pro-Assad militia have moved in, said they concentrated in Baramkeh, Tishreen Park, Sha'lan, Abu Rummaneh, Mezze and Malki, among the most heavily fortified districts of the capital and home to many top army and intelligence officers

posted on Sep, 1 2013 @ 02:45 PM
link   
hmmm
we show the world our plan of attack..where we will strike.
Assad thinks "the fools" and moves his stuff to secondary positions.
just before the missiles fly..we bring out plan B which just happens to have
the secondary positions clearly marked.
....oh, sorry..thinking out loud....

posted on Sep, 1 2013 @ 03:04 PM
link   
There is a problem that is going to make any strike via missile be very difficult.

Most of Syria's military assets are mobile, so it is feasbile that it can move them around to where it would make any strike ineffective to use. Given that and the first missile hitting, then look at the dead bodies and children being brought out for the world news to take photos and see, blaming the USA for the diseaster and misfiring.

But there is one other problem that has so far shown up, and it makes one wonder what will happen, that being Russia and Iran. While they may not make the first strike, what is to stop them from being right in the line of fire? After all Iran may back down, but Russia, if something were to strike one of their ships or military assets, they would most likely fire back. Given that Iran has no heavy equipment, but light, could even make it harder for US ships to turn around and get an accurate shot.

Russia and China were not kidding, they are not going to sit by if the US does anything without an approval by the UN Security council, to include moving military assetts to make the US back off. I wonder, what both countries are doing.

posted on Sep, 1 2013 @ 03:16 PM
link   
reply to post by Thorneblood

sorry, can't do pigeons, raised them as a kid

not a fan of crow either but i don't believe the reports regarding inmates as human shields.

what you've posted is still SOP in wartime, there's nothing shocking or new there.
military prisoners are prisoners of war ... civilian inmates are still civilians who have no control over their USE as human shields.

nothing you've shared tips the scale toward the use of 'human shields' as described in the OP.
military overtaking civilian locations should be expected.

posted on Sep, 1 2013 @ 03:37 PM
link   
Our media has lied so many times regarding Syria, I would be naive to believe anything in this run up to war.

posted on Sep, 1 2013 @ 03:40 PM
link   

Why would he need to protect his chem weapons? Obama publicly said he would not strike thwm and striking them would endanger any civilians in the area.Not to metion Russia secures most of Syrias chem weapons at the start ofthis war. One day you will realize the "rebels" are the ones using chemical weapons.
edit on 1-9-2013 by GogoVicMorrow because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 1 2013 @ 04:23 PM
link   
reply to post by GogoVicMorrow

How bout we just eat turkey, everyone likes turkey?

Look at this point i am willing to believe any of the three major interpretations of what is going on in Syria. Every time one person says it's one way another says it's completely different. At this point it doesn't really matter because whatever we perceive to be taking place isn't the whole story. That's the part that interests me now.

If the main storyline is to be considered true then this sudden stall still doesn't make sense. I like the idea that the voice of the people and the weariness of war has won out but i am too cynical to buy that anymore. The wills of finance and politics move beyond the wills of the people at times like this because they are often more well informed then we are. That is ultimately the purpose of the many intelligence gathering organizations around the world, and while many might question their effectiveness and even their loyalty, i am still at least inclined to believe that they are very good at getting information on everything.

If you believe some of the leaks you have seen online then it could made to sound like Maher Assad went rogue on his brother and fired the weapons. His history of violence is documented, he seemingly enjoys revenge and has recently suffered traumatic injuries that have left him half crippled.

But If they have recorded such conversations then would not those alone help bolster their case and fuel the drive to war even more so? Why hide those unless they have more to say then should be said?

The secondary theory of Al-Nusra being solely behind all the attacks is also off. Look, if they really wanted to start this war just to gain control of Syria and form a super-state then i can totally buy that. Except if they were that motivated and that driven for this to happen, be it solely within the organization or by the puppet mastery of greater powers, then ay least one attack would have been made on a coalition ship by this point. All those boats floating around make excellent targets, especially for a false flag chemical attack. The entire scene would be instantly contaminated by the ocean water and the rigorous process of recovering the evidence, especially if the attack managed to sink the boat.
Super State
Hell the evidence that the UK was supplying Nerve Gas to Syria ten months into the war alone should be damning enough if it was a UK ship.

This attack would be the easiest fuel to add to the fire of any country lacking in the willpower to make this attack happen. And Al-Nusra would be the perfect tool for that strike.

The final theory that both sides used chemical weapons supplied by various outside nations seems the most realistic and plausible to me, but it also leaves a very curious question that i can't quite reconcile.

It would have been obvious to everyone that these attacks were happening regardless of who struck with them, it would have drawn attention by the media and the world community because of the horrible nature of these weapons. So why use the strikes so often.

If both sides of this game were supplying the weapons to their various outlets, then how can we know what type of chemical weapon was being used.

How can we know that the advances made in biochemical weapons by all of those same governments aren't just being field tested in Syria by both sides?

Everyone is pointing to Sarin for these attacks, why would they admit that before the UN reached its verdict? If you are going to hide the evidence of something like this then wouldn't it make the most sense to hide it in plain sight. Blame one chemical weapon to keep the other hidden from the public eye?

edit on 1-9-2013 by Thorneblood because: (no reason given)

edit on 1-9-2013 by Thorneblood because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 1 2013 @ 06:00 PM
link   

They stalled because the UK backed down and most Americans are against it. The attacks will happen, but going to congress allows the exec branch to spread the blame and gives the impession of a public representes to the rest of the world. We are going regardless of what congress says. Stalling is just in hopes congress will gi along and make it less scandalous.

There is no evidence at all that Syria used the chems, but there is evidence the rebels used it. The claim is Sarin because that is what we know the rebels used earlier in the conflict.

Finally.. the ships are pretty far from syria for a reliable missile strike. The only real chance would be a naval assault and that's unlikely.

posted on Sep, 1 2013 @ 06:25 PM
link   
Oh my God! This was already in the Iraq script!!! Fire your damn writers will you!!!! Time for some new script writers with some new ideas! I got it! How about a World without fear, need,hate or violence? How about a World full of Love & Light? That's what I want to see, feel and experience. How about you?

posted on Sep, 1 2013 @ 11:02 PM
link   
There is no evidence at all that Syria used the chems, but there is evidence the rebels used it. The claim is Sarin because that is what we know the rebels used earlier in the conflict.

We? Who's "we"?
You got mice in your pocket?

As an Assad hater even I don't know for a fact who used the gas as of yet.

Don't take for granted that everything you believe, the rest of us believe as well.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join