It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Syria 'human shields': President Assad moves inmates from prisons to military targets ahead of pos

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 1 2013 @ 02:37 AM
link   
Syria 'human shields': President Assad moves inmates from prisons to military targets ahead of possible air strikes

If I had my way the USA would stay OUT of Syria - boots on the ground, planes, rockets bombs - all of it. Stay the hell out of another countries business. But - if Obama is going to do it? WHY WAIT? Surely he knows - of course he knows - this is the kind/type of action Assad would take after his announcement to strike!

So )are you) thinking this is Assad's 'fault'? And what would you do in his place? No, I'm not justifying or in accord with the actions taken by Assad either. It's just bs all the way around. Human shields. Can there be anything more deplorable. It’s evil. Obama had to know this.

Thousands of Syrian prisoners have been moved to military targets to be used as human shields against Western air strikes, it has been claimed.
The move by Syrian president Bashar al-Assad came as global tensions were mounting over the possibility of Western air strikes in response to the chemical attacks, which killed hundreds of civilians.

Does it even matter anymore who’s responsible for the chemical attacks? Now the situation has become even more atrocious. Human shields.

“Using civilians as human shields is a breach of international humanitarian law, and those responsible must be held accountable for crimes against humanity.”

My point exactly.

There’s no backing down now is there? It will be interesting (in a macabre way) how many people are going to swayed into rallying behind the President after the actions by Assad becomes household information.

I’ve been crossing my fingers like a child hoping all this would just go away but the closet door is open and the boogeyman is ready to rampage. God help us all.

peace

Added links/info =

Washington Times

National

edit on 1-9-2013 by silo13 because: added links

posted on Sep, 1 2013 @ 02:44 AM
link   
You can tell the media in general has overworked, and underpaid employees this time around.
They're hardly even changing-up the playbook, in this run-up to war.
Don't let them make "Deja fools" of us.

edit on 1-9-2013 by spacedoubt because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 1 2013 @ 02:47 AM
link   
Isn't it cute how they complain about how moving prisoners into potential targets is against international law and the Geneva conventions ?

Guess what, bombing a foreign country without a UN mandate is too !

Further more, I would love to know how multiple newspaper outlets got their hands on this information over night. Let me guess "opposition sources" told it to them.

posted on Sep, 1 2013 @ 02:55 AM
link   
reply to post by H1ght3chHippie

i was gonna suggest 'hand signals' but opposition sources works.

really, this is almost stale given recent history ... surely they could have taken a different approach with this one ?

posted on Sep, 1 2013 @ 03:16 AM
link   
reply to post by silo13

Should we believe the reports? I don't know. What I do know is that it is now the official story line so I will play off that. Now what? Does Obama still strike knowing full well he's blowing up non combatants?

This all seems like a play. I've never once told anyone where I was moving all my pieces in chess for the next 4 moves and expected to win. I remember knowing we would hit Iraq. The evils of Iraq were on the news all day every day.. What I didn't know was how and when. It just happened all the sudden. Bush popped on TV and said (by now Shock and Awe is underway. We are at war...

This is all so weird. It's actually making me nervous.

posted on Sep, 1 2013 @ 03:23 AM
link   

The claims – mostly from rebels – have terrified Damascus residents.

www.mirror.co.uk...

Tells me everything I need to know. I'm not liable to believe much coming from a rebel group that uses Sarin on the people, then plays innocent.

posted on Sep, 1 2013 @ 03:25 AM
link   
reply to post by dustytoad

Should we believe the reports? I don't know. What I do know is that it is now the official story line so I will play off that. Now what? Does Obama still strike knowing full well he's blowing up non combatants?

Believe? How the hell so we know what to believe anymore?

Will Obama ‘strike’ knowing he‘ll be taking out human shields? I guess we’ll find out huh.

This all seems like a play. I've never once told anyone where I was moving all my pieces in chess for the next 4 moves and expected to win.

Exactly. It makes NO sense to me at all. Absofrigintutely none.

I remember knowing we would hit Iraq. The evils of Iraq were on the news all day every day.. What I didn't know was how and when. It just happened all the sudden. Bush popped on TV and said (by now Shock and Awe is underway. We are at war...

So a question here. It might sound naive but I don’t mind being ignorant when it comes to war tactics. If Obama makes a ‘limited’ strike - is that war? It would seem so to me yet with words being used like ‘limited’ and ‘open ended’ in the same sentence - I get confused.

This is all so weird. It's actually making me nervous.

Me too.

peace

posted on Sep, 1 2013 @ 03:27 AM
link   
reply to post by Nyiah

Tells me everything I need to know. I'm not liable to believe much coming from a rebel group that uses Sarin on the people, then plays innocent.

Again - call me ignorant - but are you saying you don't believe they are actually moving prisoners to use as human shields - or that it's more propaganda to push the war machine into action?

peace

posted on Sep, 1 2013 @ 03:37 AM
link   

silo13

So a question here. It might sound naive but I don’t mind being ignorant when it comes to war tactics. If Obama makes a ‘limited’ strike - is that war? It would seem so to me yet with words being used like ‘limited’ and ‘open ended’ in the same sentence - I get confused.

peace

Well, they won't call it war. In fact I don't know where the line is drawn unless congress declares war. meanwhile, and I don't think they will declare war at this point, Obama has a certain amount of time to blow stuff up.

Clinton shot cruise missiles at who was it alqueda?

And wasn't the Korean War a Police action, not a war?

Makes one wonder what constitutes a war crime if you are not in a war. Guess that makes you a terrorist yea?
edit on 9/1/2013 by dustytoad because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 1 2013 @ 03:39 AM
link   
Reply to post by silo13

''Does it even matter anymore who is responsible for the chemical attacks?'

Are you serious?
I dont think so. In fact, I think you just gave yourself away.

Get out of here disinfo scum.

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Sep, 1 2013 @ 03:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by silo13
reply to post by Nyiah

Again - call me ignorant - but are you saying you don't believe they are actually moving prisoners to use as human shields - or that it's more propaganda to push the war machine into action?

peace

To be frank, neither the rebels nor the government are innocent, they've both caused a lot of death at this point. I'm not saying Assad is innocent of any accusations (they haven't exactly hidden many bombing strikes from the greater public) What I'm saying is I'm not all that willing to believe accusations from a rebel group that earlier this year used Sarin gas, and tried to get away with it. That would be like ATS members banding together and going to war with a government we don't like, then screaming fowl when that government strikes back, while expecting to be allowed a free pass at anything equally dastardly we do. Not gonna happen, no one collects $200 at Go that easily.
If anyone doesn't think there is a massive propaganda war going on from Syria, they're fools. Questioning what Assad & Co. put out is wise. Questioning what terrorism group affiliates calling themselves "rebels" put out is even wiser. I highly doubt Assad is using prisoners are human shields for one very important reason: If it were true, the internet would be exploding with people from inside talking about it, and that's not happening. If & when that does occur, I'll gladly eat a nice plate of crow.

posted on Sep, 1 2013 @ 03:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by Monkeygod333
Reply to post by silo13

Are you serious?

I don't think it does matter who did it, the fact they are being used at all should be enough for the rest of Humanity to say "That's enough!" - I've said before that if the West is going to strike, they should do so at the places these weapons are stored to put them beyond use by anybody, then enforce a ceasefire and make everyone sort this mess out like grown ups.

Originally posted by Monkeygod333

A bit harsh, no? Instead of replying with reasoned debate to counter, you resort to a tired old ad homonym attack.

posted on Sep, 1 2013 @ 03:50 AM
link   
This is at least one source i know for Syrian movements.....ISW

The regime circulated a statement that Damascus International Airport would be shut down to civilian air traffic until further notice. The last civilian outbound flight occurred at 6 p.m., and the notice took effect at 9 p.m. local.
Activists indicate that military forces have withdrawn from three bases located at the Damascus International Airport, and there are unconfirmed reports that digging and drilling have commenced in the area.
Multiple opposition activists reported that Republican Guard installations on Mount Qasioun, Assad’s military stronghold in Damascus, were atypically blacked out overnight.
Opposition media centers have indicated that a radar system was removed from the 613 Air Defense Battalion’s command center, located in the countryside to the East of Dera'a.
It seems reasonable to conclude that the Assad Regime is moving equipment, supplies, or personnel under cover of darkness.

In addition, reports have surfaced that the armed opposition has attempted to breach Aleppo prison overnight. The operation was still ongoing as of time of blog post (1:01 a.m. EDT, Sept. 1, 2013).

So i guess we will see which news outlets pick this up....seems like pretty obvious moves to me though.

posted on Sep, 1 2013 @ 03:55 AM
link   
reply to post by stumason

In a utopia yes, but hitting these sites runs the risk of releasing more chemicals, also it runs the risk of removing security meaning more rebels/army/terrorists could sift through the ruins and take left over munitions home.

also, neither side wants to play grownups, actually I've seen Assad willing to attempt to talk even inviting the rebels in for discussions and offering amnesty.. however the Israeli/Saudi backed rebels don't want to talk, they want control and no playing grownups is going to get that.

I want what you want, but realistically the people in charge behind the scenes are laughing at that option!

posted on Sep, 1 2013 @ 03:56 AM
link   

LOL @1:45

Saddam Hussein has placed Iraqi troops and equipment in civilian areas attempting to use innocent MEN, WOMEN AND CHILDREN AS SHIELDS for his own military; a final atrocity against his people...so I decided, after a LONG meeting with the lobbyists at Halliburton, that we'll bomb the shiet out of him and permanently cripple his nation...to save the people, you know...

Okay, He didn't REALLY say that last part, but still...

posted on Sep, 1 2013 @ 04:16 AM
link   
reply to post by Monkeygod333

Are you serious?

Hun, I’m no disinformation scum - I’m just up too early in the morning trying to explain something on page I have a hard time explaining to myself in my head lol.

My point is - does it matter now? Of course it matters but now - since Obama has made it clear to Syria he will take action? Nowwww thanks to the ‘warning’ the atrocities are multiplying. Using human shields is considered a crime against humanity soooo regardless of the chemicals used before the USA would feel compelled to attack over the human shields now.

If that doesn't make sense? At least I commend you on not hesitating at calling someone out. In this case you're wrong - but someday you'll be right and whoever encounters your wrath will deserve it.

peace

posted on Sep, 1 2013 @ 04:21 AM
link   
reply to post by Nyiah

I highly doubt Assad is using prisoners are human shields for one very important reason: If it were true, the internet would be exploding with people from inside talking about it, and that's not happening. If & when that does occur, I'll gladly eat a nice plate of crow.

Ok, I got your point. Not sure I agree - but I got the point.

I guess I've just a hard time believing 'people' in that area are going to be spending their time tweeting or posting on FB when they’re packing up their belongings and headed for the hills.

Yeah, that's me being slightly sarcastic - I just don't agree failing to find more info on the internet is a meter to gauge by.

Thanks for the reply - I appreciate your time and hearing another point of view explained.

peace

posted on Sep, 1 2013 @ 02:17 PM
link   
reply to post by Nyiah

I highly doubt Assad is using prisoners are human shields for one very important reason: If it were true, the internet would be exploding with people from inside talking about it, and that's not happening. If & when that does occur, I'll gladly eat a nice plate of crow.
agreed.
been waiting hours to see this 'explosion' of outcry and still yet, nothing.
if you don't mind my company, we'll dine on that crow together

posted on Sep, 1 2013 @ 02:27 PM
link   
First of all I'm against interaction.

But if Supreme Obama (cant find a rolling eyes emo) is sure the chemical attack is so advanced that the rebels (cant find a rolling eyes emo) could not have the technological privileges to have been the perpetrators I can't see why an EMP strike can solve the problems without bombs, structural damages or deaths (beside the peepz wearing pacemakers or in hospitals on life support). Evenso if the attack was done by the Rebels (cant find a rolling eyes emo) it would prevent them for doing the same.

posted on Sep, 1 2013 @ 02:31 PM
link   
reply to post by silo13

I guess I've just a hard time believing 'people' in that area are going to be spending their time tweeting or posting on FB when they’re packing up their belongings and headed for the hills.

Silo13, i understand your sarcasm but i have a question for you.

let's just say the reports are true, ok ?
(i don't believe the reports, but, for conversation's sake let's say they are spot on)

don't those prisoners have 'family' ??
if so, do you really think their family members won't speak out in their defense ?

i would bet that some of those family members are not Syrian residents, and if that's the case, they wouldn't be busy packing or evacuating, would they ?

moving assets under the cover of darkness is SOP 101, however, do you really believe a move such as placing human shields could be accomplished under the cover of silence ???

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join