It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Will you open your Mind and your Heart?

page: 7
<< 4  5  6   >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 5 2013 @ 02:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by jiggerj

What exactly are you asking of me??? I cannot by any means within this thread CAUSE, or PREVENT....WORLD PEACE, or WWIII
reply to post by shell69

I am asking YOU to open your mind and your heart to see what the belief in a god is doing to our world.

You think you are not doing any harm, but when you either support the idea of a god, OR support the idea that everyone should allow everyone to follow their own beliefs, then you are saying we should allow people to commit crimes in the name of a god that doesn't even exist.

How many people have to die of AIDS because the Catholic church frowns on condoms; how many Muslim women have to be imprisoned and stoned to death for being raped before you scream at the top of your lungs, "NO MORE! YOU PEOPLE CANNOT BELIEVE IN THESE THINGS! YOU CANNOT WORSHIP A GOD THAT CONDONES THESE THINGS!!!!"

We simply cannot allow everyone to believe and practice anything and everything they want.

Jigger if you insist on arguing you need to learn about argument.This is a straw man argument that does not hold even a drip of water.

I agree religion has done much harm and that is what the majority of folks believe in "their" religion..."their" God.. it' is 6 billion folks (including you) believing in "something" or nothing ... but it isn't God.The straw man argument is just a diversion it proves nothing and only causes animosity and more division of the 6 billion religions.

The skies are littered with the billions of steeples thinking "their" religion is higher and righter when the fact is they are all wrong.A better argument is everyone is or will be contributing to all the adverse conditions on earth . My suggestion is to leave the cherry picking and straw man out of the argument.... it proves or solves nothing.

posted on Sep, 5 2013 @ 04:32 PM
link   

Jigger if you insist on arguing you need to learn about argument.This is a straw man argument that does not hold even a drip of water. I agree religion has done much harm and that is what the majority of folks believe in "their" religion..."their" God.. it' is 6 billion folks (including you) believing in "something" or nothing ... but it isn't God.The straw man argument is just a diversion it proves nothing and only causes animosity and more division of the 6 billion religions.
reply to post by Rex282

Hi Rex. Isn't it funny how it only becomes a straw man argument when the logic is used against participating in religion.

If people stopped participating (buying and selling) in the illegal drug trade then kids couldn't get their hands on them. They couldn't O.D. on them. Young teens with a driver's license couldn't get stoned and wrap their cars around telephone poles.

We see sex on TV, in movies, in magazines, in concerts, in ads... If the mass majority of people STARTED participating in protests, screaming NO MORE EXPOSING OUR KIDS TO SEX, if people started boycotting companies that use sex to sell their products, then the sexuality in these fields would stop.

Are these straw man arguments? I don't think so.

But, you claim that the very logic in the above arguments are straw man arguments when we say that if people stopped participating in religions and the belief in some invisible friend, the religious violence will stop.

Or, if the mass majority of people started participating in protests, screaming NO MORE EXPOSING OUR KIDS TO VIOLENCE IN THE NAME OF A GOD, then again the violence would stop.

I'm tired. I hope I made my point clear.

posted on Sep, 5 2013 @ 04:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by jiggerj

Jigger if you insist on arguing you need to learn about argument.This is a straw man argument that does not hold even a drip of water. I agree religion has done much harm and that is what the majority of folks believe in "their" religion..."their" God.. it' is 6 billion folks (including you) believing in "something" or nothing ... but it isn't God.The straw man argument is just a diversion it proves nothing and only causes animosity and more division of the 6 billion religions.
reply to post by Rex282

Hi Rex. Isn't it funny how it only becomes a straw man argument when the logic is used against participating in religion.

If people stopped participating (buying and selling) in the illegal drug trade then kids couldn't get their hands on them. They couldn't O.D. on them. Young teens with a driver's license couldn't get stoned and wrap their cars around telephone poles.

We see sex on TV, in movies, in magazines, in concerts, in ads... If the mass majority of people STARTED participating in protests, screaming NO MORE EXPOSING OUR KIDS TO SEX, if people started boycotting companies that use sex to sell their products, then the sexuality in these fields would stop.

Are these straw man arguments? I don't think so.

But, you claim that the very logic in the above arguments are straw man arguments when we say that if people stopped participating in religions and the belief in some invisible friend, the religious violence will stop.

Or, if the mass majority of people started participating in protests, screaming NO MORE EXPOSING OUR KIDS TO VIOLENCE IN THE NAME OF A GOD, then again the violence would stop.

I'm tired. I hope I made my point clear.

jigger you are still grasping at 50,00 foot straw men.You have diverted the cause of an evil to a being you don't even believe exists...which you can't prove or disprove.That is the biggest strawman ever!

I understand what you are trying to say you are just doing a very poor job and are blinded by your biases. Your premise is religion is God (which couldn't be further from the Truth) so stop believing in God because religion is bad.

You couldn't convince a 5 year old with an argument that weak.The real point is there is no argument(debate) to be had.It is like me arguing aliens are the evil of this world when I don't believe in aliens at all.It's a moot point.The only way to present a credible argument is to prove there are or aren't aliens..which is impossible.

posted on Sep, 5 2013 @ 05:05 PM
link   

It is like me arguing aliens are the evil of this world when I don't believe in aliens at all.It's a moot point.The only way to present a credible argument is to prove there are or aren't aliens..which is impossible.
reply to post by Rex282

Why would it matter if a god is real or not? What too many humans are doing with that belief is BAD. Even if a god existed he doesn't seem to care that people are killing and raping and oppressing and dominating in his name. If he doesn't care enough to do something about it, then it's up to us to put a stop to it. No more teaching kids about gods. No more religions. Period.

edit on 9/5/2013 by jiggerj because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 22 2013 @ 03:04 AM
link   
reply to post by Murgatroid

You have absolutely GOT IT!!! Thanks for acknowledging what I am trying to say. Thanks for recognizing my belief in what I have PROOF of and not ANY Religion !!! Thanks, just THANKS~!

posted on Sep, 24 2013 @ 05:33 PM
link   

shell69
reply to post by Phoenix267

No, I think your are totally off topic and should be posting in the "sleep and dreams" forum???? I'm not sure, my point however was that everyone is so sure that their way is the absolute way, and I disagree. In reality, we are only responsible for our OWN choices, and we cannot possibly HATE OR PUNISH anyone for their choices.

My challenge to everyone reading this thread is to EXPERIENCE all the options... and to avoid the "My way or the highway" attitude.
Just to avoid being CLOSED MINDED!

Until you said this I had no idea what you were talking about. This paragraph should be in the OP.
I agree as well. Many people make enimies out of others without knowing where they come from on the subject. Most are so closed minded they wont even try to look at it from another angle.

I think we should not be enimies, I think we should all understand we have our beliefs, in ourselves or a higher power and DROP IT.

Then maybe we can get on to the business of living, and treating eachother right. Instead of attacking eachother over whos right and wrong...because here is the kicker....NOBODY KNOWS.

So do what true to you, and treat eachother with respect! Then maybe we can start threads about how our government is our enemy and not eachother, but that is off topc sorry.

posted on Sep, 24 2013 @ 06:04 PM
link   

Dragonfly79

Originally posted by Phoenix267
reply to post by slowisfast

Forgive me for being a butt-munch. I was just trying to be skeptical and I respect your beliefs. I'll have to take another look and read in detail your source you posted earlier.

You don't fool me and convince me you are respecting other peoples' beliefs just because you say so but at the same time call yourself an atheist. Don't call yourself anything that has to do with religion or beliefs and then you might be somewhat more convincing. Why would you want to lie about it, why are you drawn to faith when you obviously dislike it? I can only imagine you would want to convert people to atheism, by pretending and trying to fool people into liking you. I am serious, I would want to know sincerely why the contradiction exists. I mean I can understand the argument of socializing despite disagreeing about faith. But don't pretend you have any weight in the matter, or try to make the faithful look weightless and science as having some weight (as in importance).

Oh no God forbid she takes another look at the evidence, and trys to be OPEN MINDED. Get over yourself, you dont have any weight here either.

new topics

top topics

<< 4  5  6   >>

join