Help ATS with a contribution via PayPal:
learn more

Spirulina.......DIY Kit

page: 1

join

posted on Aug, 31 2013 @ 08:41 PM
link   

Spirulina is a cyanobacterium that can be consumed by humans and animals and is made primarily from two species of cyanobacteria: Arthrospira platensis and Arthrospira maxima. Arthrospira is cultivated worldwide; used as a dietary supplement as well as a whole food; and is available in tablet, flake and powder form. It is also used as a feed supplement in the aquaculture, aquarium and poultry industries.[1]

Nutrient and vitamin content Protein Dried spirulina contains about 60% (51–71%) protein. It is a complete protein containing all essential amino acids, though with reduced amounts of methionine, cysteine and lysine when compared to the proteins of meat, eggs and milk. It is, however, superior to typical plant protein, such as that from legumes.[2][7] The U.S. National Library of Medicine stated that spirulina was no better than milk or meat as a protein source, and was approximately 30 times more expensive per gram.[8] Other nutrients Spirulina's lipid content is about 7% by weight,[9] and is rich in gamma-linolenic acid (GLA), and also provides alpha-linolenic acid (ALA), linoleic acid (LA), stearidonic acid (SDA), eicosapentaenoic acid (EPA), docosahexaenoic acid (DHA) and arachidonic acid (AA).[7][10] Spirulina contains vitamins B1 (thiamine), B2 (riboflavin), B3 (nicotinamide), B6 (pyridoxine), B9 (folic acid), vitamin C, vitamin D, vitamin A and vitamin E.[7][10] It is also a source of potassium, calcium, chromium, copper, iron, magnesium, manganese, phosphorus, selenium, sodium and zinc.[7][10] Spirulina contains many pigments which may be beneficial and bioavailable, including beta-carotene, zeaxanthin, chlorophyll-a, xanthophyll, echinenone, myxoxanthophyll, canthaxanthin, diatoxanthin, 3'-hydroxyechinenone, beta-cryptoxanthin and oscillaxanthin, plus the phycobiliproteins c-phycocyanin and allophycocyanin.[1]

wikiLINK

So I decided to start growing this stuff at home. It would be a cool project for the kids and I, and it seem very beneficial health wise. Also my local market sells it for like 35 dollars a pound or something ridiculous like that. Also eating it fresh makes it even more beneficial.

I looked up a starter kit on line and this is what i got.

Spirulina Grow kit

Since i dont have three hundred bucks to drop on a brand new kit I figured i would piece it together with stuff i have laying around the house

The kit includes: Detailed, bound instructions, 1 liter bottle of live Spirulina,

high-temperature heater with thermostat,
glass thermometer,
timer for heater (to keep Spirulina cool at night),
quiet air pump,
3′ of air hose,
air bubbler/diffuser,
4 clips,
harvest hose,
15′ of narrow-range pH strips ,
50 micron harvest cloth,
1 bottle of iron juice good for 500L of culture,
2x 10-gallon packs of Starter mix,
1.6 lbs. of Make-up mix (good for about 6 lbs. of algae harvest),
and a very useful special gift,
plus a copy of “Grow Your Own Spirulina Superfood” by NASA algae scientist Dr. Aaron Wolf Baum! Kit does not include a tank.

All I need is...... Make up mix, Starter Mix, Iron Juice , and the Spirulina culture.

My first question about all this is. Have any fellow atsers done this project, if so, is there any info that you can pass on that will save me a headache later.

Second, are the nutrient packets all standard, or are the better quality ones out there, like maybe and organic version?

Third, can i just use cheesecloth to harvest?

Fourth, is there a better alternative to Iron Juice that can be used. again, like a healthier version or something?

Fifth, can artificial lighting be used efficiently or will I just be adding dollars to my bill with minimal increased harvest? I do remember reading that it can be used, but it likes only certain parts of the light spectrum.

I come to the bright minds of ATS with this project, any input is appreciated. I like links, cant run certain vids right now, and if anybody knows were to find a free source of info on the process of growing and all the specs that would be cool, but im sure if i search around a while I will find something. Thanks in advance

edit on 31-8-2013 by DocHolidaze because: (no reason given)
edit on 31-8-2013 by DocHolidaze because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 31 2013 @ 08:50 PM
link   
reply to post by DocHolidaze

Please do let us know if you have any trouble with SWAT teams, this is the right place to be!

Seriously though (not that I wasn't being serious), if the vitamin breakdown is accurate it looks like wonder food.

posted on Aug, 31 2013 @ 09:25 PM
link   
reply to post by greencmp

I wouldn't be surprised if they did kick my door in over a plant, it would be the first time the goons have kicked in someones door over a plant.

but Its not like i will be selling it i will just be eating it, they say that 5-6 grams a day is enough to make a difference with your health.

Which reminds me,

another question for all the atsers out there. Are there any good recipes that i can incorporate the spirulina into?

posted on Aug, 31 2013 @ 09:32 PM
link   

Hmm, well it's basically seaweed so I'd be holding my nose and gulping it.

Depends I guess, I used to just have it in tablet form.

I also love sushi, and pickled seaweed. They are entirely different things, though, and I'd be worried that any sort of cooking would weaken the nutritional value. Raw would be the only way I'd imagine it being super.

posted on Aug, 31 2013 @ 09:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by winofiend

Hmm, well it's basically seaweed so I'd be holding my nose and gulping it.

Depends I guess, I used to just have it in tablet form.

I also love sushi, and pickled seaweed. They are entirely different things, though, and I'd be worried that any sort of cooking would weaken the nutritional value. Raw would be the only way I'd imagine it being super.

yeah i tried the powder stuff in green tea and it takes some getting used to.

I also love sushi and picked seawead, the kind with sesame seeds. I wonder if i could pickle it? thanks for the idea i will look that up. I wonder if i could make it into some type of creamy spread i could put on some hard bread?

posted on Aug, 31 2013 @ 10:42 PM
link   
The powder and tablet stuff is disgusting .I may check this out.thanks !!

posted on Sep, 1 2013 @ 01:41 AM
link   
reply to post by PtolemyII

no prob, if you learn anything in the process put some links or info here, im actually surprised that not more people have chimed in, i thought at least the survivalists would of had some info

posted on Sep, 1 2013 @ 07:30 AM
link   

Well i brew my own kombucha .This is different,but some of the aspects are similar.
I'm betting you can out together the kit cheaper ,if you knew more about the process.
I'm going to check into it .

posted on Sep, 1 2013 @ 11:52 AM
link   
reply to post by PtolemyII

I think most of the stuff you need can be found on craigs list, and garage sales, the only stuff you have to buy new is the nutrients and spirulina.

I have an aquarium, tubing and a pump and water stones and a ph meter, i do believe the ph meter has a temp gauge on it otherwise i can pick one of those up for cheap. I dont know if i still have my heating pad, but if its with my other stuff then im set.

i would like to watch some youtube vids on the subject but my vidplayer is broke i think it has something tot do with my browser.

but yeah any thing you find put it here two heads are beter then one

posted on Sep, 2 2013 @ 07:27 AM
link   
This any use to you ?

Link

It's a bit old but may have some info

posted on Sep, 2 2013 @ 10:51 AM
link   
reply to post by Isolation

This is awesome, thank you very much!!! And I learned a interesting piece of info. I can use my own urine to supply the nutrients it needs. Im not going to do that, but it is nice to know I have options

top topics

join