Talk About A SHOCK to the system...HOLY COW!!! Open Letter to the Powers that BE @ ATS

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join

posted on Aug, 31 2013 @ 02:46 PM
link   
Please, do NOT change the way your website works...I just got used to using it the way it is. That being said, I am sure it will fall on deaf ears....oh well. What a SHOCK to my system though.

It is not very user friendly from what I can surmise from the first encounter, your original version was difficult enough to navigate at first, so I guess if you MUST change it...I will either find away to deal with it or I will just become a lurker again...creating threads is a monumental challenge for me as it is.

I do think you are in danger of biting the hand that feeds you though....the membership...I suspect there will be many that feel the same way as I do and will just decide it is not worth the hassle....maybe this belongs in the Conspiracy forum...perhaps it is your goal to weed out the useless threads and make it more difficult on purpose....so that all you get will be the dedicated thread writers that are serious minded enough to overcome the challenges.

Soul

posted on Aug, 31 2013 @ 02:58 PM
link   
reply to post by soulpowertothendegree

well that was quite a dramatic thread title.
what is the problem?

posted on Aug, 31 2013 @ 03:05 PM
link   
reply to post by Rikku

From the looks of things you do not create many threads...if you did you would understand. I spelled it out pretty clearly in my letter...did you bother to read it...or did you just look at the title and decide to respond?
edit on 31-8-2013 by soulpowertothendegree because: (no reason given)
edit on Sun Sep 1 2013 by DontTreadOnMe because: We expect civility and decorum within all topics.

posted on Aug, 31 2013 @ 03:08 PM
link   
I have been here for lets say the 3rd major change to ATS, and it took me weeks to really get used to it, and now I find myself having to do it again, but I will say this.

ATS IS THE FIRST OF ITS KIND! Always has been. Most of the changes came from members asking for an upgrade. There is no other site that generates changes like this based on member requests! NONE!!!!

So, if I may suggest that you take it in small doses at first, because believe me in a year, you wont even notice, and in 3 years if they change it, you will be asking and saying the same thing about the new layout.

Peace, NRE.

posted on Aug, 31 2013 @ 03:11 PM
link   
I have seen this site change many times since 2007...

Although I may not be that active here, I am on other boards. People will adapt, or they will not. It's that simple. If you refuse to take the time required to master a new layout, may I suggest a tip that worked well for me on other difficult forums: Write out your threads in a word processor and paste them into the forum after you are sure your work is saved. This should prevent any unhappy accidents.

EDIT: I forgot to mention that I noticed that features such as the new topics page were preserved, but simply had some sort of graphic update. Hopefully this is mostly a cosmetic update.
edit on 31-8-2013 by Negotium of Verum because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 31 2013 @ 03:17 PM
link   

you do not create many threads...if you did you would understand

what has that got to do with the price of fish?

i think NRE put it very well.
most people have only used the new ats for a few hours. waiving your arms in the air like the world is gonna end is a little unfair i think.

posted on Aug, 31 2013 @ 03:18 PM
link   
Just relax, your (our?) eyes just need to get used to the new layout

In a few days/weeks time you will see it all makes sense ( I hope )

Edit : I do agree with most members opinions about the new smiley's .. I don't like them at all, for me they look too 'childish'.
edit on 31-8-2013 by Alundra because: smileys

posted on Aug, 31 2013 @ 03:54 PM
link   
Getting used to something is fine but it doesn't mean its an improvement. It seems a bit daft when people say 'you'll get used to it'. Thats ok but lets make it as perfect as we can now. I dont want to just 'get used to it' I want to enjoy it and have the best experience possible. Now is the time for members to make suggestions to improve the new format. Just 'getting used to it' is a cop out.

It needs a bit more work in order to compete with other sites. At the moment it looks 'nothing special' in my opinion. The old/current format is much more pleasing to the eye, and you get more information on the screen at any one time without it looking cluttered. The new look looks like things are missing from the pages. I can get used to it but we should be striving for something better than that!!

What about new users. If current members have to 'get used to it' how difficult will it be for new members? I think the new design may not be very appealing to newbies as it seems you need to have a knowledge of ATS to use it. Even then current members are having difficulty. Imagine the difficulties new members will have.
edit on 31-8-2013 by greavsie1971 because: (no reason given)

Needs more colours to define the options (buttons). When only using 2 colours its just harder to locate things as it all looks the same.
edit on 31-8-2013 by greavsie1971 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 31 2013 @ 03:57 PM
link   

Actually it's just as easy for me to use as before except now when I upload pictured they come at the top instead of the bottom of my folder so that's easy too.

Oh and you did not spell anything out you only said "It's hard to create threads now." Go read your op yourself that's all you said.

What is different now?

posted on Aug, 31 2013 @ 03:57 PM
link   
Personally, if it kept the same style for New Topics+ that would be fine, some of the layout looks really cartoonish and kind of a cluster * but, not my site, not my problem.. I suppose they will change a few things up down the road hopefully...

posted on Aug, 31 2013 @ 04:00 PM
link   

eXia7
Personally, if it kept the same style for New Topics+ that would be fine, some of the layout looks really cartoonish and kind of a cluster * but, not my site, not my problem.. I suppose they will change a few things up down the road hopefully...

That is my one complaint. I stayed on that screen all day. Now I scroll down and New topics goes for 24 hours, so I just look for the flagged ones that way.. A little bit worse in that regard.

Oh and another thing is that the new topics page doesn't seem to refresh. Not a huge deal I guess, but that was one of the things that made ATS easier for me.
edit on 8/31/2013 by dustytoad because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 31 2013 @ 04:05 PM
link   
reply to post by eXia7

That is exactly my main issue too. That was my main page also.

posted on Aug, 31 2013 @ 04:22 PM
link   
I just think it looks perfect right now. I wouldn't change it except maybe giving people the possibility to switch between the different layouts at their discretion.

posted on Aug, 31 2013 @ 04:25 PM
link   
reply to post by dustytoad

I spend 99.9 percent of my time on the new topics page, from there I could keep an eye on all of the new threads, what is trending, and what threads have the most replys in them. At my job it is super convenient to be able to look at that one page on my phone and get a synopsis of whats going on at ats. I dont have the time or luxury of being able to finger scroll through endless thread titles.

posted on Aug, 31 2013 @ 04:38 PM
link   

The funny thing is that I have stayed here because the format is easy for me. I've tried other sites that are similar to the new format that ATS will soon change to and I couldn't be bothered. Didn't like them at all. So, if I get used to the new format here it will become easier for me to try other sites.

By changing the format, ATS just may LOSE most of its members instead of attracting more.

posted on Aug, 31 2013 @ 05:00 PM
link   
the new version is an actual user brain interface. they will have complete control soon. don't be so shocked we knew this day would come.

posted on Aug, 31 2013 @ 05:01 PM
link   
reply to post by jiggerj

Well maybe yea.. I'll be here. In fact I've been using the new system this whole time. Changed my avatar to match the smilys.

deadeyedick
the new version is an actual user brain interface. they will have complete control soon. don't be so shocked we knew this day would come.

Haha Nice. What does it know about me? Do I get to control it or is it the other way round?
edit on 8/31/2013 by dustytoad because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 31 2013 @ 05:03 PM
link   
One of my biggest issues with the new layout is the sheer size of the icons and whatnot. As I've stated numerous times in the other thread that I can no longer post in, to me it looks childish. hardly fitting for a site that has little to do with children.

Other issues:
+As someone else has already pointed out, on a thread with a full page of posts, it seems like something is missing. The avatar box on the old style used to extend the length of the post. It no longer does and it seems to give the impression that something is missing. Not a problem really, it's just aesthetics I guess.

+The smilies? I really don't care. They are a little strange but they don't really bother me. I do like this one though:
however it should be red.

+My biggest problem, and it has been since the last revamp is the fire hose page.
Quote from a thread I started about the issue when it changed...

It used to have headers for Topics 0-4 hours, 4-12 hours Last 24 hours, etc... Now the headers are gone, and it all looks like a confusing mess to me.

For almost a decade my browser would be open to that page 24/7 and anything new and interesting that came up, I would pop open in a new tab, then just keep looking at that page throughout the day. for me, that was the single greatest feature on this whole site.

The sheer number of forum topics on ATS makes this site a bitch to navigate through sometimes, or maybe it's just me, but the old fire hose page is the main thing I miss most.
The new topic page reminds me of face book too much. After you scroll down to the bottom it ads more topics. after you scroll down a half mile it starts to get laggy.

I seriously hope this post, or any in this thread don't fall on deaf ears. It's a fact we all love this site and I would hate to see it go into decline cause user input wasn't taken into consideration seriously enough.

posted on Aug, 31 2013 @ 05:06 PM
link   
Change is the only constant.
ATS changes all the time.
If you are going to be a member here .. ya' gotta get used to it.
If you don't like it ... just wait a while. It'll change again.

I HATE the new search function.
I have the old one bookmarked and I use that all the time.
So I DO understand what you are saying.

But don't worry ... it'll work out.

posted on Aug, 31 2013 @ 05:09 PM
link   
reply to post by dustytoad

Haha Nice. What does it know about me? Do I get to control it or is it the other way round?
short answer... there is no spoon

top topics

<<   2 >>

join

$('#skin').click(function(){ window.location.href = "http://www.abovetopsecret.com/forum/thread1008463/pg1"; });