It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

President Obama to Address the Nation on Syria

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 31 2013 @ 04:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by Nomad451
Without congressional approval he won't do a damn thing.

EITHER ...

1 - He knows the American people and his military are not behind him on this, so he's looking for a way out of the box he's put himself in. Blaming congress can help him safe face and get out of this.

or

2 - He's going to do it and help his buddies in the Muslim Brotherhood with their attacks against Syria anyways and this is just a stall tactic so he can figure a way out to get enough of America behind him so he can do it without his motives being obvious. (with a false flag ... fake terrorist attack .. something like that).

That's my opinion at this point.

posted on Aug, 31 2013 @ 04:58 PM
link   

edit on 31-8-2013 by Nomad451 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 31 2013 @ 05:00 PM
link   
reply to post by Nomad451

SNOTTY. And uncalled for. My post called for NONE of that from you

There is something about the pipelines ... I"ve read something on them and I can't place it ... the US Gov't isn't happy with the pipelines and wants to shut the flow off. Maybe because they carry illegal oil from Iraq?? Can't remember.

posted on Aug, 31 2013 @ 05:01 PM
link   
reply to post by FlyersFan

Definitely number 1. I could almost swear to you that this will fizzle out entirely and when the rebels see that the US don't have the guts and capacity to get directly involved they'll stop with their chemical attacks to try and win involvement

posted on Aug, 31 2013 @ 05:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by FlyersFan

SNOTTY. And uncalled for. My post called for NONE of that from you

There is something about the pipelines ... I"ve read something on them and I can't place it ... the US Gov't isn't happy with the pipelines and wants to shut the flow off. Maybe because they carry illegal oil from Iraq?? Can't remember.

Lol I took it down man, I was only having a laugh. I didn't even think you'd see it

posted on Aug, 31 2013 @ 05:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by Tardacus
This would have been done deal and the bombs would be falling right now except for one thing....
no WMD`s were found in Iraq.

The people are gun shy about being fooled and lied to again by their government.The government no longer has the benefit of the doubt,the people want proof above and beyond what would normally be accepted before getting involved in anymore conflicts.
Who ever made the decision to lie about WMD`s in Iraq messed it up for all future presidents who want to jump into conflicts based on evidence that doesn`t go above and beyond certainty.

Exactly. TPTB overplayed their hand when they brazenly went to war based off of lies that could have been so easily exposed. Slowly but surely, the people are waking up.

Soon, the veil will come off, and the man behind the curtain will have no choice but to show himself. The streets of the United States will see bloodshed when that happens, I imagine.
edit on 31-8-2013 by supremecommander because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 31 2013 @ 05:16 PM
link   
A strike on Syria is ridiculous,it's wrong, its illegal domestically and internationally, it is opposed by most people and nations on the planet ,I can't even believe a strike on Syria is even up for American debate!!
, dont people know they will be supporting a national enemy, and in doing so committing treason? Instead of throwing the lot in jail, American people are giving them the choice to start another war? imo the government has lost ALL moral credibility when they were caught supporting the opposition,they should have been removed from power ages ago.
edit on 31-8-2013 by all2human because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 31 2013 @ 05:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by FlyersFan

Originally posted by Nomad451
Without congressional approval he won't do a damn thing.

EITHER ...

1 - He knows the American people and his military are not behind him on this, so he's looking for a way out of the box he's put himself in. Blaming congress can help him safe face and get out of this.

or

2 - He's going to do it and help his buddies in the Muslim Brotherhood with their attacks against Syria anyways and this is just a stall tactic so he can figure a way out to get enough of America behind him so he can do it without his motives being obvious. (with a false flag ... fake terrorist attack .. something like that).

That's my opinion at this point.

Just have to ask, if he is counting on congressional disapproval what happens when they say go for it? I don't think this is it. He doesn't want it all blamed on him when things get worse. I think he really wants to do this. If Americans were backing him he would try to bypass congress altogether.
edit on 31-8-2013 by Dianec because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 31 2013 @ 05:29 PM
link   

That`s what I think too,
A no vote by congress will get Obama off the hook and allow him to save face.

" you guys are lucky that my mom won`t let me come out and play cause I was gonna kick your ass!"

posted on Aug, 31 2013 @ 05:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by Tardacus

That`s what I think too,
A no vote by congress will get Obama off the hook and allow him to save face.

" you guys are lucky that my mom won`t let me come out and play cause I was gonna kick your ass!"

However... being 'limited' and Not an actual 'declaration of war'... his 'presidential powers be damned will do just fine.

betcha....

posted on Aug, 31 2013 @ 07:32 PM
link   
Here is is:

(Media campaign of "Why so rational??!!")

BEIRUT — Syrians opposed to President Bashar al-Assad expressed anger on Saturday that President Obama had apparently decided against an imminent strike in Syria, saying that failure to act after the threats that have been made would embolden Assad’s government.

After Obama announced that he would seek congressional approval for any attack on Syria, deferring any possible military action for at least 10 days, rebel fighters predicted that Assad loyalists would seek to use the delay to escalate attacks on rebel strongholds.

Source

Media here is condemning Obama's choice to seek congressional approval. (Which, should be mandatory engaging in military action against another nation but that's besides the point. Military action and war apparently isn't the same thing
or so they say...)

In any case, here media is kind of taking a dig at Obama saying that immediate action will allow Assad to carry out more attacks on rebels etc. I guess if we see the right jump up and say "How could Obama not launch missiles ASAP?!" then we know for certain this is just a stage show to get earn public opinion points.

Normally, this kind of decision would at least get light-faint claps from any side, unless it was a direct attack on American soil (but even then, they voted on the 14th of september after 911)

...So

Here is my point:

If we see the media as well as the Conservatives take pot shots, and criticize Obama for not calling for direct action, and we see a unanimous immediately for action, it would appear that how this played out was simply to appease the "no more war" crowd and grab as many swing votes for war that they could muster.

posted on Aug, 31 2013 @ 07:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by truthseeker1984
Maybe this has already been said, but did anybody stop to think that this potential action against Syria is a proxy war with Russia? Notice how fast Obama took interest in Syria after Russia gave Snowden asylum??? Russia, from what I understand, is backing the current regime in Syria, and of course, the US is backing the rebels. This stinks of the early 80's all over again. Hell, it stinks of the early 2000's with Bush and WMD's in Iraq.

Maybe I'm completely off-base, but it makes sense to me.

-TS

Maybe it stinks since it was planed by Bush?

edit on 31-8-2013 by LittleByLittle because: Spellchecking

posted on Aug, 31 2013 @ 07:37 PM
link   
reply to post by 12m8keall2c

An act of war IS a declaration of war
edit on 31-8-2013 by all2human because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 31 2013 @ 07:46 PM
link   
How is anyone impressed by this speech? He basically said he could do this with his eyes blindfolded and hands tied behind his back, but "decides " to request permission from Congress. The day we fall as a nation is the day the President can just "Decide " to get permission to start a life - changing war. So Obama can just decide to bomb Syria to all hell, but he wants to appear "Democratic" because he runs a Democratic nation. That is disgraceful beyond all sense of the word. I'm baffled as to how anyone was impressed by our President basically turning war into a children's sandbox game.

posted on Aug, 31 2013 @ 08:13 PM
link   
reply to post by mr10k

The day we fall as a nation is the day the President can just "Decide " to get permission to start a life - changing war.

He sure made it sound that way, didn't he?

"Well I could go to war, but this time I'll wait and ask for permission."

Showed his true colors there. He's a warmonger, dictator wannabe.

Waiting for the next time he doesn't ask, like George Bush.

Sounds familiar...

posted on Aug, 31 2013 @ 08:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by mr10k
How is anyone impressed by this speech? He basically said he could do this with his eyes blindfolded and hands tied behind his back, but "decides " to request permission from Congress. The day we fall as a nation is the day the President can just "Decide " to get permission to start a life - changing war. So Obama can just decide to bomb Syria to all hell, but he wants to appear "Democratic" because he runs a Democratic nation. That is disgraceful beyond all sense of the word. I'm baffled as to how anyone was impressed by our President basically turning war into a children's sandbox game.

hey man! you logic stinks like horse gooooooo leaking from a cracked pot !!

people like you deserve george bush and dick cheney types..............

posted on Aug, 31 2013 @ 08:24 PM
link   

GrantedBail
reply to post by boncho

Well he must think he has the votes. Are they gonna vote without all the members??

votes? RLMFAO!

boncho

i feel i have the authority to take this action without congressional approval but i will seek it because its the right thing to do for our democracy

don't be silly, he's only going through with the pretense of getting congress's approval, this is just a puppet show for the asleeple, especially of the international sort
as the locals have already been sheared for the most part.

he's already got those votes for war in his back pocket
due to the selected portions of each congressperson's PRISM file
up his sleeve
edit on 31-8-2013 by TheMagus because: added edit & comment

posted on Aug, 31 2013 @ 08:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by TheMagus

GrantedBail
reply to post by boncho

Well he must think he has the votes. Are they gonna vote without all the members??

votes? RLMFAO!

boncho

i feel i have the authority to take this action without congressional approval but i will seek it because its the right thing to do for our democracy

don't be silly, he's only going through with the pretense of getting congress's approval, this is just a puppet show for the asleeple, especially of the international sort
as the locals have already been sheared for the most part.

he's already got those votes for war in his back pocket
due to the selected portions of each congressperson's PRISM file
up his sleeve
edit on 31-8-2013 by TheMagus because: added edit & comment

You're probably very right.

If he DOESN'T get congress to approve, then many in Washington and his administration are going to look mighty silly and lame. I would think he has seriously thought this out.

If he winds up not getting it, he is doing like some suggest and slinking out of his current position among his constituents and taking the public brownie points instead. It's still good it is happening. It's a stall to fueling the conflict for a short while and will give us the opportunity to see just how artificial washington is because if congress even approves it, then it's clear that NOBODY in washington listens to the people.

Each thing they do is just more exposure of what they are... no matter what.
edit on 31-8-2013 by NotAnAspie because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 31 2013 @ 08:42 PM
link   
This is my take on the President's recent change of heart. Lets take a look at his words leading up to this.

Obama threatens Syria with U.S. military action if Assad regime crosses 'RED LINE' by using chemical weapons

President Barack Obama said on Monday that his administration would rethink its opposition to military intervention in the Syrian civil war if President Bashar Assad deploys weapons of mass destruction, calling such action a ‘red line’ for the U.S.

A year almost to the date of that previous statement concerning the response by the United States in the event chemicals weapons are deployed in the Syrian conflict? In that time, it appears such weapons have been deployed. He cannot take back his words, or his intentions because they remain in the international arena. So much for speaking softly and carrying a big stick. He was taking whacks with the stick at the very beginning, and now events have arose when decisive action is forthcoming. Unfortunately for him, all of his gusto has departed with the British jumping ship and international support waning.

D avid Cameron's plans for military action in Syria shot down in dramatic Commons vote

The prospect of British involvement in military action in Syria ended dramatically last night when David Cameron suffered a surprise and humiliating Commons defeat on the issue.

In my humble opinion, I think he spoke to soon and laid his cards flat on the table before it was necessary. This is but another abstract failure in the arena of international politics.

This move to gain authorization from Congress is his way of feverishly finding a way out of this. I say that, because we all know he likes to throw around hot potatoes. In the event his proposal fails in Congress? Expect the President to pass the buck, and he can make others carry the blame for his own indecisiveness. As the insults and bickering commence? This little military incursion into Syria will be old news. Congress takes the blame, and the President gets to walk away while saving face.
edit on 31-8-2013 by Jakes51 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 31 2013 @ 08:52 PM
link   
If he doesn't get approval, we should probably look forward to some kind of "I told you so" event... and they can always keep fueling it under the table. Someone without western bias has got to keep trying to sort this out and bring this information to the public eye. It's been happening.... and it needs to keep happening because I firmly believe that has been the game changer. Had it not been for the exposure of what is really happening, I think Syria would already be done and with a newly installed puppet government in place.

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join