It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mars Reality Show Draws 165,000 Applications

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 31 2013 @ 06:51 AM
link   
7:23am UK, Saturday 31 August 2013

By Lisa Dowd, Midlands Correspondent

The application process to take part in a reality-style show and become one of the first people to land and live on Mars and never return home to Earth is drawing to a close.

More than 165,000 'wannabe astronauts' have applied for four initial places to colonise the red planet despite it only being a one-way ticket.

Melissa Ede, 52, a transsexual taxi-driver from Hull, is one of 7,000 applicants from the UK hoping to be picked.

She said: "The attraction's got to be going down in history, being remembered.

"Ever since a little child I've wanted to do something where I was going to make my mark on this Earth, this is the way of doing it.

"My parents always used to put me down. They always said I'm on cloud cuckoo-land and I live on a different planet. Well I could say actually, I do.

"On Earth I feel I've done enough now, I've completed all my challenges that I had in life. I'll be able to wave down at everybody."

As well as the UK, applicants from China, Brazil, India and Russia have paid on average £17 to cover the administration costs of the selection process for the Mars One project - the brainchild of Big Brother co-creator Paul Römer.

The applications close today.

news.sky.com...

posted on Aug, 31 2013 @ 06:57 AM
link   
I've applied.

posted on Aug, 31 2013 @ 06:59 AM
link   
All jokes aside, and in my opinion, wouldn't it be better to heavily pollute Mars before we start to colonise it, terraforming Mars could be possibly achieved in just a decade or two by burning tonnes of fossil fuels via several factory units built here on earth and then sent to different parts of Mars to do there work, they would be like those pods in the pic on SkyNews, possibly bigger though, but when one pre filled pod is empty of fossil fuel another would be sent to take over, after a few decades we could possibly go there and start to dismantle these pods because the pods would then have done there work and provided us with the atmosphere we would need to sustain life, from there plants could grow, oxygen would be made, the planet would warm up, ice would melt providing oceans, and the atmosphere would grow strong, we could all go there without fear of suffocation, we could go and live there in the open and establish new beginnings, its completely possible to do this, expensive but would be worth every penny to achieve, unfortunately under current plans it doesn't look like thats the plan so it will not happen for a very, very, very long time, instead we will go there and struggle to survive by relying on pods to sustain us, that just makes no sense to me, if your going to do it, do it properly.

If that was the plan then i would sign up straight away, but living in a pod for years is just not attractive to me.

posted on Aug, 31 2013 @ 07:05 AM
link   
I REALLY wanted to apply...then I read their sponsor-based program and realized this thing won't even reach the launch pad.

posted on Aug, 31 2013 @ 07:06 AM
link   
Don't go, it's a trap
There will be no trips to Mars.
TPTB have made a deal with the aliens to provide a certain number of subjects for medical experimentation.
Rather than the aliens abducting random people, the government will provide people with specific characteristics to meet the needs of the aliens. The purpose of this is that aliens have found that they can occupy the bodies of a certain portion of the population and need to refine their processes in order to populate the planet with
human /alien hybrids.
By entering the selection process to go to Mars, you are actually placing yourself at risk of voluntary abduction.
BEWARE

posted on Aug, 31 2013 @ 07:21 AM
link   
reply to post by Beartracker16

posted on Aug, 31 2013 @ 08:00 AM
link   
The proposed dates of "2021" for some form of human habitats on Mars..I highly doubt it.

Right now we neither have the technology, nor the money for a Mars mission. Right now, we don't even have a Space Shuttle anymore. There is no way that we have established and built liveable quarters on Mars in eight years.

While looking at Mars images etc. and following the current Mars mission is EXTREMELY interesting, so I realize that Mars is (and I say that in all honesty) a very, very boring place. It's not only incredible boring, but also incredible dangerous in addition. (Think about having to camp in...say...Death Valley...with literally nothing but rocks and sand for infinite miles..in most extreme conditions, not only heat/cold but also radiation, pressure etc.

I do NOT think this incredible desolate place is worth giving up life on Earth and going on suicide mission for a bunch of rocks.

While I consider this Mars "reality show" nonsense anyway which will never come to pass in that way...I can speculate about how such a show might go. Imagine what happens to those people in....2 months...6 months....12 months... XYZ months..when they realize there is NOTHING but sand and rocks...and they will never ever be able to go home...I think it's reasonable to predict it may drive people literally insane so I don't think the show would be pretty.
edit on 31-8-2013 by NoRulesAllowed because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 31 2013 @ 08:05 AM
link   
While I like the idea of travel to another planet I don't think we are technologically advanced enough. We crashed an exploratory craft because of a programming error. We need to get past that kind of stupidity.

Mars is a barren rock. I think the idea of colonizing it is foolish.

posted on Aug, 31 2013 @ 08:11 AM
link   
Seems like there's this new trend in scams under the vale of something real or good or valuable behind it. Kony 2012 rings a bell for these kind of scams. in that at the end of the doucmentary he sold a Activist Kit for like 40 bucks. Sold millions of them I think. So many of these scams popping up.

hmmmm Okay I got one.....

A contest or reality TV show, the winner of it gets one free ticket aboard Virgin Galactic into space. To apply fill out this application along with your application fee of 19.95. Send it to me direct so that I can pay off my debts, get rich over night, and be the next Kony 2012 ok

posted on Aug, 31 2013 @ 08:26 AM
link   
My reasoning on this would be: all the wannabe attention craving narcissistic brats who apply for reality TV shows like big brother, xfactor etc, and this Mars one project......get them to show up for an audition, put them all in a big rocket, tell them they're going Mars and blast them into space and just leave it at that.

posted on Aug, 31 2013 @ 08:43 AM
link   
Really guys... I mean you have to give theses people props.
They are willing to drop everything for a chance of a life time and mans biggest feat. Family friends and everything they have worked for in this life. I'm getting a negative vibe against these people.

They have ten years to get their financing and operations in order. We did it with the moon why not mars??
Some may say these folks are foolish, but would you be willing to give up your life and potentially die for the progression of mankind?

Go check out the videos of people that have signed up, some of these folks are the real deal. Sure some are in it for the wrong reasons but thats the case with everything.

@ Beezer, dont forget your ATS peeps. we want updates !! Make sure you send arken some photos to analyze

edit on 31-8-2013 by CitizenJack because: oops

edit on 31-8-2013 by CitizenJack because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 31 2013 @ 08:45 AM
link   
reply to post by beezzer

double post see above ^
edit on 31-8-2013 by CitizenJack because: double

posted on Sep, 3 2013 @ 11:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by xMJRx
All jokes aside, and in my opinion, wouldn't it be better to heavily pollute Mars before we start to colonise it, terraforming Mars could be possibly achieved in just a decade or two by burning tonnes of fossil fuels via several factory units built here on earth and then sent to different parts of Mars to do there work, they would be like those pods in the pic on SkyNews, possibly bigger though, but when one pre filled pod is empty of fossil fuel another would be sent to take over, after a few decades we could possibly go there and start to dismantle these pods because the pods would then have done there work and provided us with the atmosphere we would need to sustain life, from there plants could grow, oxygen would be made, the planet would warm up, ice would melt providing oceans, and the atmosphere would grow strong, we could all go there without fear of suffocation, we could go and live there in the open and establish new beginnings, its completely possible to do this, expensive but would be worth every penny to achieve, unfortunately under current plans it doesn't look like thats the plan so it will not happen for a very, very, very long time, instead we will go there and struggle to survive by relying on pods to sustain us, that just makes no sense to me, if your going to do it, do it properly.

If that was the plan then i would sign up straight away, but living in a pod for years is just not attractive to me.

Not to sound condescending, but you have no clue what you are talking about. It's 100% impossible to do what you suggested. Mars can not hold an atmosphere. The only hope would be to jumpstart the core in the hopes it would create a magnetosphere to protect any forming atmosphere.

posted on Sep, 4 2013 @ 05:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by OccamsRazor04

Originally posted by xMJRx

Not to sound condescending, but you have no clue what you are talking about. It's 100% impossible to do what you suggested. Mars can not hold an atmosphere. The only hope would be to jumpstart the core in the hopes it would create a magnetosphere to protect any forming atmosphere.

Yes it is a theory but Mars does have an atmosphere right now, its just thinner than ours on earth, If the planet Mars was polluted it would heat up, thats a fact, there is a thin atmosphere surrounding Mars which can and does hold heat just like this one does, yes its weaker than ours here on earth but it is there, the thin atmosphere would get thicker due to the proposed pollution solution, heat would get trapped and build up on the surface, the core would in turn get a lot hotter, this would create a thermal reaction, this reaction would strengthen over time releasing oxygen, Methane etc which is currently frozen on mars, this would probably help to create a Magnetosphere, not that one is needed, because if the atmosphere on Mars was as think as the earths it would protect the planet anyway, just look at Venus.

en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Sep, 4 2013 @ 05:22 AM
link   
Without the protection of the magnetosphere, the suns solar wind would blow away any atmosphere humans try to produce, magnetosphere first, then the atmosphere on Mars.

posted on Sep, 4 2013 @ 06:40 AM
link   
Am I the only one that would be fearful of forced slave labour upon arrival? I mean, it isn't like there is a human rights movement to Mars or anything... That I'm aware of.

On a different note, The Mars One Mission has had my attention for some time now. I will not be applying as I am almost positive I do not meet the requirements, but perhaps when i get old as dirt I'll take a trip over there to see what all the fuss is about.

posted on Sep, 8 2013 @ 04:08 AM
link   
Send Putin and Obama to Mars. Earth would be a lot more peaceful without them. They would be forced to cooperate and realise that Earth for them is Paradise Lost.

posted on Sep, 13 2013 @ 03:18 AM
link   
I applied !!!

ill becomes the first banker in mars ..

posted on Sep, 13 2013 @ 08:38 AM
link   
This is incredible, I just got a email from them turns out ended up being over 200k!

Over 200,000 apply to live on Mars
The first round of the Mars One application process has now closed. In the 5 month application period, Mars One received interest from 202,586 people from over 140 countries, wanting to be amongst the first human settlers on Mars. Applicants will be notified of the desicion on their application by the end of this year.
The screening of the astronaut applications will be done by the Mars One Selection Committee, led by Norbert Kraft, M.D., Chief Medical Officer of Mars One. He has over 19 years of experience in aerospace research and development. His primary area of expertise is developing physiological and psychological countermeasures to combat the negative effects of long-duration spaceflight. Recently Dr. Kraft received the "NASA Group Achievement Award 2013", one of the most prestigious awards a group can receive.

posted on Sep, 23 2013 @ 02:01 AM
link   
The second the ship blasts off from earth I will lean over to the prettiest woman on board and whisper...your my wife now, get used to it....lol

top topics

<<   2 >>

join