It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Prophecy: Gods signature on the Bible

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 1 2013 @ 10:31 PM
link   

Babylon
For many years prophecy scholars believed this prophecy to have been fulfilled. And then came the first Gulf War. People were astonished to see Babylon standing there on the Banks of the Euphrates, rebuilt by Saddam Hussein. While there’s no comparison to the great city of Nebuchadnezzar, it does exist, and though it’s population had dwindled to as low as a few thousand when the Greeks built Baghdad to become the major river port city of the region, Babylon has not yet become uninhabited. But 6 chapters of the Bible are devoted to its destruction, Isaiah 13-14, Jeremiah 50-51, and Revelation 17-18. It’s clearly a prophecy yet future to us.

This one is interesting. Not because of the answer "you" gave, but because it seems way too scripted, almost like you copied and pasted it from another website. I ran a google search, and lo and behold I found this exact same quote, word for word, on another forum called biblewheel.

Link

It's in reply #23 for those interested.

Now why would you post someone else's work and try to pass it off as your own? It says that a guy named Jack Kelly said this, is your name Jack Kelly?

I find this pretty disingenuous and ruins any chance of credibility you had with me. Post your own work, don't plagiarize it.

posted on Sep, 1 2013 @ 10:32 PM
link   
reply to post by 3NL1GHT3N3D1

Like windword said, Hitchens' "conversion" is a complete and total lie.
I don't think so.

He recognises that the Church has a place for social ritual – and that sometimes you have to go with the flow. He and his first wife were married by the Archbishop of Cyprus in St John’s Cathedral in Nicosia, and their son, Alexander, was baptised in the Greek Ortho­dox Church. ('The things one does for one’s in-laws!’) His marriage to Carol Blue was officiated by a rabbi 'in somebody’s front room. But,’ he feels the need to add, 'he was a pretty atheist rabbi.’
The Telegraph
That is one mention that I found by Googling it, but I remember news stories being broadcast a few years ago about how he became a Catholic and had his daughter (by Blue) baptized into the church. It caused quite a stir at the time but seems to be suppressed on the internet currently for some reason.
edit on 1-9-2013 by jmdewey60 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 1 2013 @ 10:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by ServantOfTheLamb
Virgin Birth

Some orthodox Jews rightly claim that the word “alma” in the Hebrew of Isaiah 7:14 can simply mean “a young woman” and that the proper word for virgin is bethulah. But when they say this they’re being deceptive and here’s why.

First, Isaiah was offering an important sign from the Lord to Israel. What kind of a sign would it be if a young woman gave birth to a son? That was an everyday occurrence.

Second, when 70 Hebrew scholars translated Isaiah 7:14 into Greek a few hundred years later in the course of developing an official Greek language Bible, they chose the Greek word parthenos, which can only refer to a person who has never had sexual intercourse, a virgin. The Greek translation was called the Septuagint and was pretty much complete by about 150 BC.

Here’s what they didn’t tell you. When the Lord had a prophet speak an important word with a fulfillment far in the future, he often had them phrase it in such a way that it could be partially fulfilled in their lifetimes. This partial fulfillment served as confirmation of the ultimate one. In Isaiah’s case, it was his own wife who bore a son and the name Immanuel was associated with him, not the Messiah (Isaiah 8).

The Lord couldn’t call Isaiah’s wife a virgin because she wasn’t one, and besides there would only ever be one virgin birth. But He could use a word that hinted of it, and so he had Isaiah use alma. After Isaiah was long gone and they only had the ultimate fulfillment to deal with, the 70 Hebrew Scholars disclosed the clear intent of the passage. The virgin will be with child and will give birth to a son.
edit on 1-9-2013 by ServantOfTheLamb because: (no reason given)

Another example of plagiarization.

Link

You're supposed to link to works you are copying and pasting. You're trying to pass this stuff off as your own. If I'm not mistaken, this is against the T&C of ATS, and it's against common courtesy for the author.

Do your own work, don't claim others.
edit on 1-9-2013 by 3NL1GHT3N3D1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 1 2013 @ 10:37 PM
link   
reply to post by jmdewey60

The quote I cited came right out of his widows mouth, who was there with him on his deathbed. I'll taker her word over some tabloids.

posted on Sep, 1 2013 @ 10:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by windword
reply to post by ServantOfTheLamb

What's the ASA? There aren't 300 prophecies fulfilled in the New Testament story of Jesus.

"Professor Emeritus of Science at Westmont College, Peter Stoner, has calculated the probability of one man fulfilling the major prophecies made concerning the Messiah. The estimates were worked out by twelve different classes representing some 600 university students. The students carefully weighed all the factors, discussed each prophecy at length, and examined the various circumstances which might indicate that men had conspired together to fulfill a particular prophecy. They made their estimates conservative enough so that there was finally unanimous agreement even among the most skeptical students.
However Professor Stoner then took their estimates, and made them even more conservative. He also encouraged other skeptics or scientists to make their own estimates to see if his conclusions were more than fair. Finally, he submitted his figures for review to a committee of the American Scientific Affiliation. Upon examination, they verified that his calculations were dependable and accurate in regard to the scientific material presented. "

posted on Sep, 1 2013 @ 10:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by 3NL1GHT3N3D1

Virgin Birth

Some orthodox Jews rightly claim that the word “alma” in the Hebrew of Isaiah 7:14 can simply mean “a young woman” and that the proper word for virgin is bethulah. But when they say this they’re being deceptive and here’s why.

First, Isaiah was offering an important sign from the Lord to Israel. What kind of a sign would it be if a young woman gave birth to a son? That was an everyday occurrence.

Second, when 70 Hebrew scholars translated Isaiah 7:14 into Greek a few hundred years later in the course of developing an official Greek language Bible, they chose the Greek word parthenos, which can only refer to a person who has never had sexual intercourse, a virgin. The Greek translation was called the Septuagint and was pretty much complete by about 150 BC.

Here’s what they didn’t tell you. When the Lord had a prophet speak an important word with a fulfillment far in the future, he often had them phrase it in such a way that it could be partially fulfilled in their lifetimes. This partial fulfillment served as confirmation of the ultimate one. In Isaiah’s case, it was his own wife who bore a son and the name Immanuel was associated with him, not the Messiah (Isaiah 8).

The Lord couldn’t call Isaiah’s wife a virgin because she wasn’t one, and besides there would only ever be one virgin birth. But He could use a word that hinted of it, and so he had Isaiah use alma. After Isaiah was long gone and they only had the ultimate fulfillment to deal with, the 70 Hebrew Scholars disclosed the clear intent of the passage. The virgin will be with child and will give birth to a son.

Another example of plagiarization.

Link

You're supposed to link to works you are copying and pasting. You're trying to pass this stuff off as your own. If I'm not mistaken, this is against the T&C of ATS, and it's against common courtesy for the author.

Do your own work, don't claim others.
edit on 1-9-2013 by 3NL1GHT3N3D1 because: (no reason given)

lol i am responding in a forum to multiple people, I never claimed to be the one writing that. I was pasting information for viewers to see

posted on Sep, 1 2013 @ 10:45 PM
link   
And i highly doubt any of the authors are gonna mind me posting information that is freely available to the public, and not to mention it is encouraging people study the word.

posted on Sep, 1 2013 @ 10:46 PM
link   

Try linking to where you got the quotes from next time. It is common courtesy and part of the T&C of ATS. If you don't, people will assume it is your work when it isn't. Every one of your responses was copied and pasted, yet you gave no hint that they were.

posted on Sep, 1 2013 @ 10:48 PM
link   

lol whine whine whine...........

What you do not get is you are asking questions I have already had. I am posting the answers from where I found them because you are to lazy to do research on your own,.so complain about me giving you the answers you asked for all you want.....

posted on Sep, 1 2013 @ 10:53 PM
link   
I also like how instead of responding to the facts you just try to "discredit me" because you cannot contend.

posted on Sep, 1 2013 @ 10:54 PM
link   

The quote I cited came right out of his widows mouth, who was there with him on his deathbed. I'll taker her word over some tabloids.
The article said that he wasn't expecting to die just then.
I had this happen to a friend of mine where her cancer seemed to be in remission, she went to the doctor for a check-up and just suddenly died right there. No one could have guessed that when she left to go to the doctor that she would not come back.
He would not have felt it was necessary to say something like, "I'm so glad that I am saved" when he didn't expect to shortly be dead.
She doesn't mention him saying something like, "I'm so glad I never foolishly thought that I was saved".
edit on 1-9-2013 by jmdewey60 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 1 2013 @ 10:55 PM
link   

Did we read the same article? Nowhere does it say that Hitchens became a Christian on his death bed.

Hitchens’s attitude to people praying for him could be described as a mixture of polite gratitude for their consideration, and a determined refusal to let it sway his opinions. A sort of thanks, but no thanks. There have been various studies, he says, on whether or not intercessionary prayer works. 'And one is not surprised to find they don’t.’ On the contrary, the most comprehensive study concluded that it could even have a detrimental effect, causing those who knew they were being prayed for to become depressed when they didn’t get better, 'because they thought they were letting the side down’.

'A lot of people, because of my contempt for the false consolations of religion, think of me as a symbolic public opponent of that in extremis. And sometimes that makes me feel a bit alarmed, to be the repository of other people’s hope.’
In this sense, it might be said that his illness has become something of a battlefield in which the forces of belief and non-belief are waging war. True up to a point, Hitchens says. Several Christians have made attempts to make him reconsider his views in light of his illness. 'I think that’s cheesy, even if it’s kindly meant or well done.’

Any suggestion that their efforts, or his malady, might have occasioned second thoughts about the existence of God – either as a dispenser of divine justice or of infinite mercy – are met with short shrift. 'Why should they?’ If such a thing were to happen, he says, it would be because his illness had rendered him demented. 'It’s considered acceptable in our culture to approach perfect strangers, as often or not who may be in extremis, and evangelise. I don’t see why that’s considered a normal thing.’ His voice rises in indignation. 'They’re allowed to roam the wards. They tried it on me.
I know people old and young who’ve been terrified by attentions of this kind.’

posted on Sep, 1 2013 @ 10:56 PM
link   

So, constantly I see atheist on here bashing Christians. I would love for you to do an in depth study of Biblical prophecy, and then come and tell me that God is not real. Lets start with a few already fulfilled prophecy.

"Unique among all books ever written, the Bible accurately foretells specific events-in detail-many years, sometimes centuries, before they occur. Approximately 2500 prophecies appear in the pages of the Bible, about 2000 of which already have been fulfilled to the letter—no errors.

The first one I will start with is Jesus Christ as the Messiah. The statistical probability of one man fulfilling or even purposely fulfilling 48 of the 300 Messianic are 1 in 10^157. The ASA confirmed the findings behind the study I pulled the the stats from so good luck arguing this one to me.

Some time before 500 B.C. the prophet Daniel proclaimed that Israel's long-awaited Messiah would begin his public ministry 483 years after the issuing of a decree to restore and rebuild Jerusalem (Daniel 9:25-26). He further predicted that the Messiah would be "cut off," killed, and that this event would take place prior to a second destruction of Jerusalem. Abundant documentation shows that these prophecies were perfectly fulfilled in the life (and crucifixion) of Jesus Christ. The decree regarding the restoration of Jerusalem was issued by Persia's King Artaxerxes to the Hebrew priest Ezra in 458 B.C., 483 years later the ministry of Jesus Christ began in Galilee. (Remember that due to calendar changes, the date for the start of Christ's ministry is set by most historians at about 26 A.D. Also note that from 1 B.C. to 1 A.D. is just one year.) Jesus' crucifixion occurred only a few years later, and about four decades later, in 70 A.D. came the destruction of Jerusalem by Titus.

(Probability of chance fulfillment = 1 in 10^5.)*

In approximately 700 B.C. the prophet Micah named the tiny village of Bethlehem as the birthplace of Israel's Messiah (Micah 5:2). The fulfillment of this prophecy in the birth of Christ is one of the most widely known and widely celebrated facts in history.

(Probability of chance fulfillment = 1 in 10^5.)

In the fifth century B.C. a prophet named Zechariah declared that the Messiah would be betrayed for the price of a slave—thirty pieces of silver, according to Jewish law-and also that this money would be used to buy a burial ground for Jerusalem's poor foreigners (Zechariah 11:12-13). Bible writers and secular historians both record thirty pieces of silver as the sum paid to Judas Iscariot for betraying Jesus, and they indicate that the money went to purchase a "potter's field," used—just as predicted—for the burial of poor aliens (Matthew 27:3-10).

(Probability of chance fulfillment = 1 in 10^11.)

Some 400 years before crucifixion was invented, both Israel's King David and the prophet Zechariah described the Messiah's death in words that perfectly depict that mode of execution. Further, they said that the body would be pierced and that none of the bones would be broken, contrary to customary procedure in cases of crucifixion (Psalm 22 and 34:20; Zechariah 12:10). Again, historians and New Testament writers confirm the fulfillment: Jesus of Nazareth died on a Roman cross, and his extraordinarily quick death eliminated the need for the usual breaking of bones. A spear was thrust into his side to verify that he was, indeed, dead.

(Probability of chance fulfillment = 1 in 10^13.)

The prophet Isaiah foretold that a conqueror named Cyrus would destroy seemingly impregnable Babylon and subdue Egypt along with most of the rest of the known world. This same man, said Isaiah, would decide to let the Jewish exiles in his territory go free without any payment of ransom (Isaiah 44:28; 45:1; and 45:13). Isaiah made this prophecy 150 years before Cyrus was born, 180 years before Cyrus performed any of these feats (and he did, eventually, perform them all), and 80 years before the Jews were taken into exile.

(Probability of chance fulfillment = 1 in 10^15.)
The prophet Moses foretold (with some additions by Jeremiah and Jesus) that the ancient Jewish nation would be conquered twice and that the people would be carried off as slaves each time, first by the Babylonians (for a period of 70 years), and then by a fourth world kingdom (which we know as Rome). The second conqueror, Moses said, would take the Jews captive to Egypt in ships, selling them or giving them away as slaves to all parts of the world. Both of these predictions were fulfilled to the letter, the first in 607 B.C. and the second in 70 A.D. God's spokesmen said, further, that the Jews would remain scattered throughout the entire world for many generations, but without becoming assimilated by the peoples or of other nations, and that the Jews would one day return to the land of Palestine to re-establish for a second time their nation (Deuteronomy 29; Isaiah 11:11-13; Jeremiah 25"

posted on Sep, 1 2013 @ 10:59 PM
link   

I did respond to them, only when I realized that you were copying and pasting others research did I start to call you out on it.

You know how to use the "ex-text" or "quote" feature don't you? Why not put them to use instead of passing off others work as your own? I can tell you aren't very original, otherwise you would use your own knowledge to rebut the failed prophecies. Anyone can google things and copy and paste them. It's a lot easier than actually putting in the effort of doing the work yourself.

posted on Sep, 1 2013 @ 11:00 PM
link   
reply to post by windword

Did we read the same article? Nowhere does it say that Hitchens became a Christian on his death bed.
I didn't say that.
My original comment was that he died a saved Christian.
He was by way of participating in the holy sacraments of the Church and never repudiating it.
His behavior was christ-like in that he exposed hypocrisy and corruption in the church institution where criticism was rightly deserved.

posted on Sep, 1 2013 @ 11:03 PM
link   

It says his "widow" said he never even mentioned God. You can try to spin it whichever way you want, but his widow says that he never even mentioned God while on his deathbed. How could he have converted if he never even mentioned God or Jesus?

posted on Sep, 1 2013 @ 11:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by 3NL1GHT3N3D1

I did respond to them, only when I realized that you were copying and pasting others research did I start to call you out on it.

You know how to use the "ex-text" or "quote" feature don't you? Why not put them to use instead of passing off others work as your own? I can tell you aren't very original, otherwise you would use your own knowledge to rebut the failed prophecies. Anyone can google things and copy and paste them. It's a lot easier than actually putting in the effort of doing the work yourself.

Actually I just got on ATS oh say about four days ago, so no i dont really know the ins and outs of it yet. Lol why would I waste my time summarizing all of that when I can just show you the answer? And I didnt just google things, These are things I have researched in the past and pulled them up to show you the answer again you are not contending the facts but my personal character...which I dont really care if you hate me or like me or whatever cause I am only here to show truth

posted on Sep, 1 2013 @ 11:08 PM
link   

How could he have been a Christian when he insisted, even while he was near death in the hospital, that he didn't believe in a God?! He affirms his atheism in the article you links.

People can politely participate in religious ceremony, a baptism, a wedding, a religious feast, etc., and still not be aligned with the religious aspect, or believe the rituals to be any more that a social construct.
edit on 1-9-2013 by windword because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 1 2013 @ 11:12 PM
link   

They're at the top of the text box when you are replying. Learn to use them because that could get you banned later on, intentional or not. Just some advice.

I found the quotes on google, so unless you went to all those different sites and forums individually without any knowledge of this thread, I'll assume you googled them. You'd use your own words if you didn't.

posted on Sep, 1 2013 @ 11:18 PM
link   

Appreciate the learning sir
so can we get back to the conversation?

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join