It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How can I protect my privacy on an ipad?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 31 2013 @ 02:57 AM
link   
This may be a stupid question.. And I'm sure this is in the wrong forum.

What I'm wondering is:
What are the best ways to protect myself from Internet surveillance?
Are there apps I can download to protect my privacy? (Email, browsing history etc.)
I'm using an ipad.. It's all I have since my computer crashed.

I'm not a tech guru. Just wondering if there is anyway I can keep my info from falling into a third party's hands.

posted on Aug, 31 2013 @ 03:02 AM
link   
ATS is probably the worst place to ask anything tech related. Look up iPad forums, Mac forums, tech forums... Google your question...

I'm betting you are going to get a ton of dumbass replies about shooting it, throwing it out, buying something else, moving to Syria, etc.

Also, you probably can't.

posted on Aug, 31 2013 @ 03:06 AM
link   
In the iTunes Store, do a search for Onion Browser. That should be at least one step to privacy.

posted on Aug, 31 2013 @ 03:07 AM
link   
reply to post by Domo1

Lol I can't, I use it for everything from leisure to college notes. But I've seen some of the minds on ATS and I know I can get an answer out of someone.

posted on Aug, 31 2013 @ 03:08 AM
link   
reply to post by Gumshoe

Thanks, ill look it up

posted on Aug, 31 2013 @ 03:12 AM
link   
Actually I meant App Store. Sorry about that.

posted on Aug, 31 2013 @ 03:13 AM
link   
Get some sandpaper

or just wear gloves and dark sunglasses

(take Domo's advice) >
edit on 31-8-2013 by 12voltz because: just a passing

posted on Aug, 31 2013 @ 03:14 AM
link   
reply to post by rockintitz

Good luck. The only advice you should ever take from an ATS member is to never take advice from an ATS member. Not even trying to be cute. If you have a real question go to a site that specializes in the problem. Don't ask ATS for anything because it's a news aggregate site, and don't ask a car site for advice on computers, don't ask a scientist how to change your brake pads and don't ask an engineer how to spell.

posted on Aug, 31 2013 @ 03:15 AM
link   

I've seen apps that protect the privacy of your internet browsing. But I doubt anything will work.. I'm no tech guru either so I'm not sure.

posted on Aug, 31 2013 @ 03:16 AM
link   
I'm not a tech person but just using some common sense after using an iPad for awhile myself now, I have concluded it doesn't matter what you do to be secure, that any Apple product is designed to do the opposite. It tracks everything. The newer the model you have and, or the latest IOS running on it, the less secure it is.
It's backing up every time it's plugged into a charge too.
edit on 31-8-2013 by violet because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 31 2013 @ 03:19 AM
link   
I think though there is a computer forum on here. No idea where in off topic I think

posted on Aug, 31 2013 @ 03:34 AM
link   
reply to post by Domo1

I'm just butthurt because no one ever helps me. I did some searching and didn't come up with anything OP. Just things to protect you if the device gets stolen.

Really, look up some Apple/iPad forums and ask there. There are a lot of smart people here, but it's hard to get the right person's attention since there is no real focus and such a large number of differing sub forums.

posted on Aug, 31 2013 @ 03:39 AM
link   
I'm thinking this would be your best bet for anonymity, if such a thing still exists.

I'm not very tech savvy but it's a Tor Browser. I know wikileaks uses Tor alot. The onion browser is what I have on my laptop.

itunes.apple.com...

posted on Aug, 31 2013 @ 03:43 AM
link   
reply to post by Domo1

Although I responded helpfully up there I'll admit my first inclination was to say "smash it". How well you know our beloved community.

posted on Aug, 31 2013 @ 03:59 AM
link   
Unfortunately you cant really protect your privacy on an ipad. Tor browser is ok but slow and you will not be able to watch youtube. As installing flash compromises the tor anonymity. Any plugins in the tor browser will collect and store information.

Apple hardware is renowned for collecting personal information, (apps use, call rates, etc) and sending it to apple. You really need a basic laptop / desktop runninjg linux. Privacy is not possible on tablets. Even windows 8 is as bad as ios.

I was a pc technician for 20 years. Although I have never owned an apple product and no longer own windows products. So my knowledge is decreasing rapidly. I just dont trust any of the latest technology.

posted on Aug, 31 2013 @ 04:01 AM
link   
With your igun obviously...
Now available in the app store.

posted on Aug, 31 2013 @ 05:13 AM
link   
It boils down to what you type into your 'must have' device, if you don't type in your bank details, in cannot store them, its so blindingly obvious I sometimes wonder at the IQ of some people.

posted on Aug, 31 2013 @ 06:03 AM
link   

You cannot protect what you do not have.

Privacy is nonexistent!

posted on Aug, 31 2013 @ 06:09 AM
link   

pikestaff
It boils down to what you type into your 'must have' device, if you don't type in your bank details, in cannot store them, its so blindingly obvious I sometimes wonder at the IQ of some people.

A lot of us need to do online banking as we live miles away from banks so privacy is very important. Simply, do not use a tablets/ iphones / smartphones if you need to use online banking or any site you put in personal details. For a lot of people this makes the devices pretty usless as we still need to do our online banking.

A bit harsh dont you think. Questioning somebodys IQ just for asking about privacy. Not in a good mood today?

posted on Aug, 31 2013 @ 07:20 AM
link   
There isn't much you can do on an ipad when it comes to privacy and anonimity. First of all you probably got a tonne of apps on it that all, or at least the majority of them, call home or ask access/permission to another service you registered to, services like facebook, google apple etc. In non-technical terms, walking with an ipad, conected to the net, is like walking with a bright torch in a dark cave. There are a couple of things like anonymous browsing, as chrome for ipad (and some other less popular browsers) offer for instance.

I too have an ipad, but I implement it a bit difrent, first of all, I use one of a couple of VPN's I have at my disposal (but you can set up one yourself, allbeit with the aid of a medium performance computer) to connect to the internet.That way, wherever I am, the traffic to and from my ipad is relatively safe and inaccessable for others, who might have the ways and means to intercept it.

There is another way of using an ipad. For instance, those who have a normal pc/mediacenter at home, can remotely access that system from an ipad with the aid of apps like teamviewer, remoter or vnc. All it needs is some minor adjustments and you're up and running. From then of you can use that mac/pc/linux box from the ipad as if you were sitting behind it. You can open your favorite texteditor and create documents, send them via email or whatever else you have on that pc, in fact, anything other then intense graphical games or watching movies, is possible. Some apps even offer the latter, however with varying performance. Combine that with a cloudservice, preferbly your own (owncloud), to wich your ipad is also connected, and everything you create on the remote system, can be on your ipad in an instant, by syncing the ipad with that service.

I use/remote several systems that way, but I have the best results with a mac mini with the resolution set to 1024 x768 (with some apps even 800x600), I've enlarged the icons a bit, wich makes remotely working on that mac almost as if it was made to be used on a tablet. But I guess you have to see it, to really get the idea.

Whatever the case may be, the word privacy is beginning to fade, as do the lines, there to protect us, that weren't supposed to be crossed. Have no illusions, where there is a will, there's usually a way, and the powers that are at work these days, are more then willing.

Lastly, I'd advice you to visit a site like engadget www.engadget.com, where people with almost no knowledge can get good advice on matters like yours.

peace!

top topics

<<   2 >>

join