It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Open Member Testing: ATS.5/3 Final Release Candidate

page: 22
<< 19  20  21    23  24  25 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 4 2013 @ 10:43 AM
link   

Krakatoa
Adding a time stamp to the post (in the "member reply" column in addition to the date) would tell me immediately once the page is refreshed, whether I had already read the last reply

The fast-moving nature of the AMA thread is rather rare. The date indicated for the post is indeed that of the specific reply -- I'll see if there's an obvious way to work-in the time.

posted on Sep, 4 2013 @ 11:00 AM
link   
Well, its me again...

I noticed that when I used the message function, there is no way to scroll down EXCEPT when I use "reply" or "forward" - otherwise, I think I'm missing the ability to see the rest of the message. It is the same if I check the Outbox or Inbox to see a message... Help! :-)

(Safari 5.1.9 - Mac)

Thank you!

- AB

posted on Sep, 4 2013 @ 02:26 PM
link   
Okay, I know this may be a done deal already, but you can't blame a girl for trying (or not too much, anyway).

I'm am begging. I am pleading. I am groveling!!!

Please please please let us be able to "follow" other members from our profile! We don't need to call it "friends," I just don't want to miss threads by certain people and then find them after the thread is dead, so to speak. (It's not as much 'social' for me as practical. Looking people up in the member search function every time I want to see if they've done something new, or digging up a thread where they have commented to get to their profile, will become tedious.)

I know that is probably a whole other set of coding, etc. to do, and may be a huge pain (what I know about site design would fit on the head of a pin. Hmmm, I exaggerate - the tip...). So I do understand if its deep-sixed,
but......Please please please please please???????? If it's possible? Ok. I'll quit whining/begging/annoying you.

Again, I really appreciate the monumental task of setting up the new format - it is very cool. The icons are more friendly to a global audience, the font is great, the light/dark choice is working for me, the new smilie creation, the content organization, etc. I am really liking it so far! I also appreciate you giving us a way to communicate with you about all of these changes and issues, even though people (like me?) may be driving you nuts.

Thank you!
-AB

[whispers: please?]
edit on 4-9-2013 by AboveBoard because: grammer gods

posted on Sep, 4 2013 @ 02:41 PM
link   
reply to post by SkepticOverlord

The complexity of a discussion board page with avatars, posts, and sidebar ads, and all the other page-types (we have 22), it's impossible to create a columnar grid that scales gracefully for the fraction of the audience that will go very narrow on a desktop computer.

I found in 5/3 that if I re-size my browser window (Firefox or IE... laptop computer) just a little, that it will change the position of a member's avatar up by several pixels in relation to the mini-profile background. Would it be possible (without too much work involved) to anchor the avatar in relation to the background for the more minor browser window adjustments?

posted on Sep, 4 2013 @ 02:59 PM
link   

AboveBoard
Please please please let us be able to "follow" other members from our profile!

The main issue that influenced the decision to remove the friend/foe features...

Drama/stalking - the tool was being abused for rapidly harassing or trolling members another didn't like. We saw distinct patterns that was contrary to the intent of the feature.

sorry

posted on Sep, 4 2013 @ 03:00 PM
link   

Zarniwoop
I found in 5/3 that if I re-size my browser window (Firefox or IE... laptop computer) just a little, that it will change the position of a member's avatar up by several pixels in relation to the mini-profile background.

What browser? I'm not seeing that.

I suppose it might happen if you're overriding the site font size, or have zoomed-in or out. But in that case, you'd notice that oddity on lots of sites.

posted on Sep, 4 2013 @ 03:56 PM
link   
Android

Using the desktop version when posting, the toolbar doesn't resize to fit the window and overlaps the posting area. This also creates "ghost buttons".

posted on Sep, 4 2013 @ 04:00 PM
link   

It does it in either FF or IE for me and it doesn't appear to happen on the current production site. I double-checked to make sure I'm on no zoom and all that.

Here's what I'm seeing... I've highlighted the avatar space with my cursor and taken screen caps to illustrate the difference between full screen mode (left image) and minimizing the browser window just a bit (right image). A little red dot indicates the top, left start point of the avatar and the coordinates in red next to it.

The avatar shifts up by 7 pixels in relation to the background, which doesn't make any difference if you are using solely a background or plain avatar. But, if you want to align an avatar precisely to a background for a cool creative effect (I know, it's a small audience) it will look out of place.
edit on 4-9-2013 by Zarniwoop because: (no reason given)

edit on 4-9-2013 by Zarniwoop because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 4 2013 @ 04:32 PM
link   

Zarniwoop
The avatar shifts up by 7 pixels in relation to the background

Yes. It's a font issue.

The responsive style changes define different base font sizes for 1280 pixels wide, as opposed to 1024 pixels wide (or less than 1280). If you notice, my username is a slightly smaller font, with associated slightly smaller line-spacing.

posted on Sep, 4 2013 @ 04:33 PM
link   

suz62
Using the desktop version when posting, the toolbar doesn't resize to fit the window and overlaps the posting area. This also creates "ghost buttons".

What are the viewport numbers at the bottom of the page, below the footer?

I'm looking at disabling the sticky menu for the post/reply page.

posted on Sep, 4 2013 @ 04:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by SkepticOverlord

AboveBoard

The main issue that influenced the decision to remove the friend/foe features...

Drama/stalking - the tool was being abused for rapidly harassing or trolling members another didn't like. We saw distinct patterns that was contrary to the intent of the feature.

sorry

Thank you for responding, SO.

Wow. Ok. I did not know that. That is most certainly Wrong.
I appreciate Staff's efforts to make ATS as safe a place as possible.

- AB

posted on Sep, 4 2013 @ 04:40 PM
link   
hey, dunno if its intentional or not or if your supporting Firefox for android, but content that's usually two columns are now one column,so in myATS my subscribed threads appear below my fav forums. This also happens on profiles and both mean a whole lotta scrolling and lots of empty space. Seemed easier to just zoom into whichever side was wanted to be viewed.

vp# 980 x 828

posted on Sep, 4 2013 @ 04:44 PM
link   

melancholiflower
hey, dunno if its intentional or not or if your supporting Firefox for android,
vp# 980 x 828

What tablet are you using that gives you a viewport of 980x828????

posted on Sep, 4 2013 @ 04:46 PM
link   

I know it may be a minor detail, but the 2 menu items "Size" and "Color" only act as buttons if you click on something they are not already set on. Posting in black means changing the color to say blue, closing the popup and then switching it to black. Same with the size.

I think that is it though.

posted on Sep, 4 2013 @ 04:51 PM
link   

SkepticOverlord

AboveBoard

sorry

Its always the few buttholes that mess good things up for everyone else.

I can understand the stalking issue but, if we could at least follow our favorite member's threads and not their every last post I think keeping a "follow" function would be worthwhile yet be minimally disruptive. Please keep some type of thing in the new ATS where we can follow our favorite posters. That was one of my favorite features in the current version.

If members still have stalking issues, they can always use the alert feature when the troll pops up in their every thread. If a troll is that much of a problem, they should be banned quickly, especially if their stalking is that obvious. I'm sure the trolls will find new ways to stalk their prey anyway no matter what measures you take. I think the best solution to trollery is good and attentive moderators.

posted on Sep, 4 2013 @ 04:52 PM
link   

If you notice, my username is a slightly smaller font, with associated slightly smaller line-spacing.

Yep. I did notice that after I posted it. I figured that might have something to do with it.

Thanks for the explanation

posted on Sep, 4 2013 @ 05:27 PM
link   
reply to post by melancholiflower

That issue should be fixed now.

posted on Sep, 4 2013 @ 05:36 PM
link   
Also the sticky menu no loner "sticks" on the new thread and reply pages.

posted on Sep, 4 2013 @ 05:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by SkepticOverlord

AboveBoard

sorry

It is my understanding that if someone was intent on trolling or harassing another member, the "Friend" feature, although advantageous, would not stop that person from doing so. You simply view that persons posts (that you are intent on stalking) and then refresh the page regularly thereby keeping up with every post that person makes.

Consider this, cannot the friend function work another way, and believe you me it pains me greatly to make the comparison, but, just like Facebook, the recipient has to "accept" the friend request AND can also delete it at any time - therefore it is a 2-way and mutual "friendship"

Like many others here, and I think Fort summed it up nicely, a few bad eggs should not have to ruin it for the rest of us as I too enjoy certain members' contributions, just as I enjoy certain Authors of books or certain musicians.

Thoughts?

posted on Sep, 4 2013 @ 06:35 PM
link   
We have a new, more reliable and more compatible with mobile devices, color picker in the account settings page. Test it out.

new topics

top topics

<< 19  20  21    23  24  25 >>

join