Medical device manufacturer caught ghostwriting \'scientific\' articles published in medical jou

page: 1
8

log in

join

posted on Aug, 30 2013 @ 05:00 PM
link   
Once in a while we see ATS members defending a particular stance on issues with more certainty than the notion that the sky is blue (figuratively speaking). They based their arguments on particular "scientific" studies they read, without knowing who wrote the piece, how the writer looked like, the organization they represented, who funded their research, the track records, if there has been modifications done by a third party, etc. They seem to stake their lives on the credibility of these studies and anyone who refutes them are quickly labeled "anti-science".

Well, this news shouldn't come as a surprise to anyone ...


A Senate Finance Committee investigation has revealed that Medtronic Inc., the world's largest medical device manufacturer, actively engaged in deception and fraud concerning the marketing of its bone graft device InFuse. According to reports, Medtronic secretly hired private consultants to write and edit phony medical journal articles about the $800 million-a-year device, which was meant to give the illusion that these articles were written by independent scientists and physicians.


Link

And remember, with one that's caught there are probably many more that got away and still are getting away. So thread carefully...




posted on Aug, 30 2013 @ 06:09 PM
link   
No big surprise with the numerous deceptive tactics being found out . What is this ...# 665 ...lol



posted on Aug, 30 2013 @ 06:26 PM
link   
They will probably receive a slap on the wrist fine. I also have doubts that any of the patients affected will receive appropriate compensation.

My opinion is that there should be prison time involved for each individual in the company responsible for the "fraud and deception." There should also be financial compensation for damages to patients affected, with the option to have a bone graft implanted from another manufacturer if the patient so chooses at no cost whatsoever for medical/rehab.

When will these giant corporations get treated like the criminals they are? Better not be a petty thief in this world! You will surely face a fully armed SWAT team! Slap on the wrist and back to business as usual is my prediction...



posted on Aug, 31 2013 @ 12:04 AM
link   
reply to post by kurius
 


So let me use your logic. One black man is caught using crack, every black man is a crack head? One white man is caught hitting his wife, every white man is a wifebeater? One latino is illegal, all latinos are illegals?

Just so you know, it's very easy to find who wrote the articles, as they are named in the article. What journals were these posted in? What peer review process was used?



posted on Aug, 31 2013 @ 02:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by OccamsRazor04
reply to post by kurius
 


So let me use your logic. One black man is caught using crack, every black man is a crack head? One white man is caught hitting his wife, every white man is a wifebeater? One latino is illegal, all latinos are illegals?

Just so you know, it's very easy to find who wrote the articles, as they are named in the article. What journals were these posted in? What peer review process was used?


Sorry buddy. I think you used the wrong logic and analogies.
Let me help you... You take a nice looking apple from a basket, immediately take a bite only to find out that it's rotten to the core with worms and maggots. (hmmm, yummy) Should you bet on your life that the rest of the apples will be unblemished and bite on each one again and again? Well ok, maybe...if you have an acquired taste for maggots.


Perhaps you misunderstood or just being facetious....Yes, of course, it is easy to find out the names of the authors. Any kids who can read will be able to tell you. But do you know these authors well? Most people wouldn't even bother to look at their reputation, much less past contributions. Who funded the research? Can you attest to the validity of the data/findings? Can you easily access the details? Is the article you are reading original? Seriously, anybody who knows OCR, word processing and maybe some photoshop skill could alter the content of a research paper from the best peer-reviewed journal quite easily and without a trace. By the time someone finds out, the damage is probably already done.

So my advice is never stake your life over a journal article's results unless you are very certain of the authors and research background and its validity. Write to them, if you have to. Even when all things cleared, there is always a margin of errors to consider.



posted on Aug, 31 2013 @ 02:26 AM
link   
reply to post by Kurius
 


So you bite one apple and it's rotten inside, so you decide all apples are rotten? Your analogy. See how stupid that is?

Now if your life depends on the apple, I would probably cut it up and look deep into the core of the apple before biting. If my life depends on a research paper I would dissect that just as deeply. Your using this one example to cover all research articles is beyond ridiculous .. in fact, there's a research term for it ....



posted on Aug, 31 2013 @ 03:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by OccamsRazor04
reply to post by Kurius
 


So you bite one apple and it's rotten inside, so you decide all apples are rotten? Your analogy. See how stupid that is?

Now if your life depends on the apple, I would probably cut it up and look deep into the core of the apple before biting. If my life depends on a research paper I would dissect that just as deeply. Your using this one example to cover all research articles is beyond ridiculous .. in fact, there's a research term for it ....



I think you are getting the idea....Yes. you should cut the apples.... smart boy! I didn't say all apples in the basket are rotten, did I? That's just silly...to the core.


It is never ridiculous to be careful and check your facts....Unless you are part of an organization that would benefit from people taking all research papers at face value, I think you would agree. Hmmmm....are you?



posted on Aug, 31 2013 @ 03:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by Kurius

Originally posted by OccamsRazor04
reply to post by Kurius
 


So you bite one apple and it's rotten inside, so you decide all apples are rotten? Your analogy. See how stupid that is?

Now if your life depends on the apple, I would probably cut it up and look deep into the core of the apple before biting. If my life depends on a research paper I would dissect that just as deeply. Your using this one example to cover all research articles is beyond ridiculous .. in fact, there's a research term for it ....



I think you are getting the idea....Yes. you should cut the apples.... smart boy! I didn't say all apples in the basket are rotten, did I? That's just silly...to the core.


It is never ridiculous to be careful and check your facts....Unless you are part of an organization that would benefit from people taking all research papers at face value, I think you would agree. Hmmmm....are you?




Smart boy? If you think talking condescendingly to your mental superiors somehow enhances your posts you're wrong.



posted on Aug, 31 2013 @ 04:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by OccamsRazor04

Originally posted by Kurius

Originally posted by OccamsRazor04
reply to post by Kurius
 


So you bite one apple and it's rotten inside, so you decide all apples are rotten? Your analogy. See how stupid that is?

Now if your life depends on the apple, I would probably cut it up and look deep into the core of the apple before biting. If my life depends on a research paper I would dissect that just as deeply. Your using this one example to cover all research articles is beyond ridiculous .. in fact, there's a research term for it ....



I think you are getting the idea....Yes. you should cut the apples.... smart boy! I didn't say all apples in the basket are rotten, did I? That's just silly...to the core.


It is never ridiculous to be careful and check your facts....Unless you are part of an organization that would benefit from people taking all research papers at face value, I think you would agree. Hmmmm....are you?




Smart boy? If you think talking condescendingly to your mental superiors somehow enhances your posts you're wrong.


My apologies. It was never meant to insult you, just an expression of elation. But you must agree that your temper, choice of expressions and your grasp of texts I wrote seemed to indicate someone of...let's say less mature in age? I NEVER advocated anyone to discard all scientific studies, but merely to be extra careful of them as highlighted in the case of the OP. What's wrong with that? Sheeshh...

But if you like to just believe every "scientific" paper you read, please knock yourself out. I can't stop you.



edit on 31-8-2013 by Kurius because: (no reason given)



posted on Aug, 31 2013 @ 04:34 AM
link   
reply to post by Kurius
 


I'm in my 30's, college educated, graduated top of my class as a member of the national honor society in my major, have a genius IQ, and have a professional job. Not that any of that matters which is why I only bring it up in response to your ridiculous claims once again assaulting me and my character in order to puff your post.

Smart boy is not an expression of elation. It's clearly condescending. My temper has been very calm, exposing your faulty logic is not indicative of my temper. I grasped your meaning quite well. You on the other hand said my analogies were bad, and then used an analogy that closely resembled my own. While you claim to not be casting aspersions on scientific studies as a whole ....

And remember, with one that's caught there are probably many more that got away and still are getting away. So thread carefully...

... you sure seem to be doing just that.
edit on 31-8-2013 by OccamsRazor04 because: (no reason given)



posted on Aug, 31 2013 @ 04:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by OccamsRazor04
reply to post by Kurius
 


I'm in my 30's, college educated, graduated top of my class as a member of the national honor society in my major, have a genius IQ, and have a professional job. Not that any of that matters which is why I only bring it up in response to your ridiculous claims once again assaulting me and my character in order to puff your post.

Smart boy is not an expression of elation. It's clearly condescending. My temper has been very calm, exposing your faulty logic is not indicative of my temper. I grasped your meaning quite well. You on the other hand said my analogies were bad, and then used an analogy that closely resembled my own. While you claim to not be casting aspersions on scientific studies as a whole ....

And remember, with one that's caught there are probably many more that got away and still are getting away. So thread carefully...

... you sure seem to be doing just that.
edit on 31-8-2013 by OccamsRazor04 because: (no reason given)


IQ of a genius? Really? Don't try to pull my leg, man...Which test did you take?

Ok please dissect the sentence you pulled out....
"And remember, with one that's caught there are probably many more that got away and still are getting away. So thread carefully... "

Which part does it (even remotely) suggest to discard all scientific studies again, genius?



posted on Aug, 31 2013 @ 04:48 AM
link   
When I saw the title of this thread I immediately thought "Medtronic".
I used to work in the medical device industry a few years ago and it was pretty common for them to try to put pressure on physicians etc to produce the "right results" for them.
The ones that I knew all resisted but obviously from the article some didn't which is very unfortunate.

Bear in mind that this happened three years ago and reporting protocols have been severely tightened since then.

What people have to realise though is that even though a study states a conclusion, this does not necessarily mean that other physicians will take that as gospel. Indeed, when I used to present new findings to prospective customers I always was asked to provide extra proof than that which was in the "pilot" study. I was always asked who else was using it and what their experiences were (naturally, as soon as I left, the physician would be on the phone to that clinic!).
You mustn't discount that if a physician doesn't accept a particular study, he (she) will challenge it in depth sometimes to the point of commissioning a rival study.
That's the whole basis of science.
If you accept something without question then you're not being scientific.



posted on Aug, 31 2013 @ 05:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by Pardon?
You mustn't discount that if a physician doesn't accept a particular study, he (she) will challenge it in depth sometimes to the point of commissioning a rival study.
That's the whole basis of science.
If you accept something without question then you're not being scientific.


Exactly! A key factor in determining the validity of a study is whether the results can be replicated. Then you can look at where the funding comes from for the study (Enstrom study springs to mind).



posted on Aug, 31 2013 @ 05:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by KuriusIQ of a genius? Really? Don't try to pull my leg, man...Which test did you take?

Ok please dissect the sentence you pulled out....
"And remember, with one that's caught there are probably many more that got away and still are getting away. So thread carefully... "

Which part does it (even remotely) suggest to discard all scientific studies again, genius?


Since you want to play games, respond with a question that makes sense in the English language. Maybe you failed composition, I tutored it for 3 years. Have a nice day.



posted on Aug, 31 2013 @ 05:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by Pardon?


When I saw the title of this thread I immediately thought "Medtronic".
I used to work in the medical device industry a few years ago and it was pretty common for them to try to put pressure on physicians etc to produce the "right results" for them.
The ones that I knew all resisted but obviously from the article some didn't which is very unfortunate.

Bear in mind that this happened three years ago and reporting protocols have been severely tightened since then.

What people have to realise though is that even though a study states a conclusion, this does not necessarily mean that other physicians will take that as gospel. Indeed, when I used to present new findings to prospective customers I always was asked to provide extra proof than that which was in the "pilot" study. I was always asked who else was using it and what their experiences were (naturally, as soon as I left, the physician would be on the phone to that clinic!).
You mustn't discount that if a physician doesn't accept a particular study, he (she) will challenge it in depth sometimes to the point of commissioning a rival study.
That's the whole basis of science.
If you accept something without question then you're not being scientific.



Good to know.Thanks. I am rather concern that such a ploy of "ghostwriting" scientific studies may be happening outside the medical device industry as well. We definitely can't rule that out. So similar process of verification you mention should ideally be carried out by anyone who wishes to argue his/her cases based on scientific grounds.

I agree wholeheartedly with your last statement. (I hope some self-proclaimed genius in this thread will take heed.)



posted on Sep, 2 2013 @ 05:45 AM
link   
reply to post by OccamsRazor04
 


No, it was you that was condescending.
Comparing big pharm corporation deceptions, which are universal, if you look at each companies lawsuits, to racial intolerance, and profiling, is beyond obnoxious.
edit on 9/2/13 by PtolemyII because: (no reason given)





new topics
top topics
 
8

log in

join