It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Smiley/Emoticon Redesign: Cooperative Member Involved Project (SERCMIP)

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+7 more 
posted on Aug, 30 2013 @ 04:09 PM
link   

SkepticOverlord

Stormdancer777
I don't care really , but I really really hate the smilies, a lot

Then lead a member project to find or create a collection of smilies that I will agree fits well with the new site design.

They must be able to work as a CSS Sprite (PNG or JPEG) which means no animated GIFs.

The current (new) smilies are an ultra-efficient @webfont, which is part of the reason. If you and the member find or create a nice new set of smilies, I (seriously) will integrate them into the new site.

OK....so we have our challenge. Anyone interested in working on it with me?
edit on 25-9-2013 by SkepticOverlord because: modified title to be more obvious of what's going on here

posted on Aug, 30 2013 @ 04:12 PM
link   
reply to post by bigfatfurrytexan

hmmm...lets check out these...

posted on Aug, 30 2013 @ 04:13 PM
link   

Cool idea.

I'm actually getting used to the layout now that I see the drop down menu haha.

It's the emoticons that are a little weird.

Not sure yet if I want to toast OR if I should attack them.

Think I'll be nice for now
But I can't wait to see any new ideas

posted on Aug, 30 2013 @ 04:16 PM
link   
I can't give any advice on how to achieve this, however... What about suggesting we use the emotes that the new chat function gives us? They are a lot better!

posted on Aug, 30 2013 @ 04:19 PM
link   
reply to post by Dustytoad

The issue for me is that they have no contrast. I am looking at them right now on the post page, and they are fine. They are surrounded in a black bubble. They are easy to see.

But the difference in contrast between the blue and the grey of the dark background....camoflauge.

posted on Aug, 30 2013 @ 04:23 PM
link   

You were the first person I thought of, of course I don't have a clue but I can say whether I like them or not , lol

I am excited we get a choice,

thanks SO

posted on Aug, 30 2013 @ 04:24 PM
link   
reply to post by Wookiep

I thought about that too.

posted on Aug, 30 2013 @ 04:41 PM
link   

Then lead a member project to find or create a collection of smilies that I will agree fits well with the new site design

Thats an impossible task. There is nothing that will fit well with the new design

posted on Aug, 30 2013 @ 04:59 PM
link   
reply to post by Sharingan

I agree. I think the more pressing issue is the readability of the posts. When typing a post it looks easier to read. Once posted though, in the threads, it hurts my eyes. Need better colours and better fonts. Must be really easy to do too. Many people are saying the same thing.

I miss the old ATS already. After a few hours I find I dislike the new one more and more. All because of the eye strain. (emoticons are really bad too)!!

I wonder why they didnt give members a choice of styles before implementing one. ATS is nothing without the members, so much so, you cant even close accounts. (maybe better for advertising revenue, must have thousands of unused accounts).

Let members get involved in decisions before implementing such big changes, then you wont get stroppy when we tell you it looks like sh*te.

what the hell is this one supposed to be--->

+2 more 
posted on Aug, 30 2013 @ 05:01 PM
link   

greavsie1971
I wonder why they didnt give members a choice of styles before implementing one.

We had a 24-hour open beta-test where all members could access the nearly-completed website. The vast majority of input was very positive.

posted on Aug, 30 2013 @ 05:05 PM
link   
The emoticons used on the old BTS were good and suited the more light hearted nature of it - tend not to use them on ATS threads - got to say though I struggled working out what a couple of the new one's were.

I'd help if I could but I've got to say other than that I have absolutely nothing to offer.

posted on Aug, 30 2013 @ 05:27 PM
link   
I agree a change from the current emoticons would be great, and bfft, I know you will come up with something better than I could imagine!

Of course, these are my favorite emoticons...

Emoticon Images

peace,
AB

posted on Aug, 30 2013 @ 05:48 PM
link   

SkepticOverlord

greavsie1971
I wonder why they didnt give members a choice of styles before implementing one.

We had a 24-hour open beta-test where all members could access the nearly-completed website. The vast majority of input was very positive.

I fear you are seeing a Micro of a Macro situation in the US via voting.

People had a right to input, but everyone ignored it.

posted on Aug, 30 2013 @ 07:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by SkepticOverlord

greavsie1971

I actually used it for an hour or so and really enjoyed it, mostly because it was more readable than white text on dark backgrounds, which causes a strobing effect on my vision.

I'm sorry I didn't give any immediate feedback. My main feature request would be a customizable palette/font theme that users could setup or choose similar to Windows themes.

As for the emoticons, I think they are secondary after the colors are decided on, then simply adjust the existing ones to match that color-scheme... unless some crazy emoticon creator wants to make us better ones?

posted on Aug, 30 2013 @ 09:58 PM
link   
I have a couple of small ideas. THe overall design of the emoticons aren't bad. Its the contrast and blandness of them. Maybe a slight outline to add contrast, and perhaps a variation in color (yet still keeping with the color scheme in plae on the other icons on the new site).

I'll tinker with it after i get access to the site again In the meantime, I have some ATS Avatar Creations customers that have some requests in.

And if anyone wants to join in that project in their free time, please do drop by. Click my sig banner if interested. Nothing like adding some value back into your forum experience by helping out a fellow member.

posted on Aug, 30 2013 @ 11:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by shells4u

hmmm...lets check out these...

You forgot the:

posted on Aug, 30 2013 @ 11:30 PM
link   
reply to post by Hellmutt

Pleeeease don't forget that one. I can't live without it! Or
Essential for my sarcastic, snarky nature.
that one too.

Thanks BFFT!
edit on 8/30/2013 by kosmicjack because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 31 2013 @ 12:38 AM
link   
Oh, somebody.. can you find the roflma one with the little dude laying on the ground kicking his feet?

Sometimes I wish I had that when people truly make me laugh out loud and chuckle over their musings. Some moments on ATS really are comedic genius.

Cirque

posted on Aug, 31 2013 @ 12:49 AM
link   
reply to post by CirqueDeTruth

Nothing animated.

I think some of these are too abstract. I have played a bit, and if you start with 1000X1000 you can create enough detail to make an impact.

posted on Aug, 31 2013 @ 08:15 AM
link   
Why can't they use the emoji database that is used with all Mac products, whatsapp, and a quite a few other platforms. I agree, not only are the new ones hard to see, they are terrible at relaying any type of emotion. The following not sure if they will show up) is what Im talking about, although they should probably be increased in size, because they are a little small at the standard font size. (In this format anyway).

Seriously consider these if possible, they are well known and used!

☺😉😘😍😚😗😝😳😛😔😌😒😞😭😂😢😣😪😥😰😫😩😱😠😡😤😖😆😋😷😎😴😵😲😈😧😦� �👿😮😬😐😇😶😯😕😏😑👹🙈🙉🙊💀👽💩🔥😼😽😺😸❤💔🔫💣🔩🔨🛀🚿🔌🔋

😉😘😍😚😗

😏😑👹🙈🙉🙊💀👽💩🔥😼😽😺

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join