It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

My theory: Every story in the bible is fake but has great meaning...

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 16 2004 @ 04:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by Ryanp5555
you ask, why live my life for God? well if God didn't create my life i wouldn't be able to live it, there fore i live it for God. A 50/50 chance of there being a God... lol, 50% chance is HUGE. Are you really gonna let 50% chance slip through your hands? I'll tell you what, i will take my "50% chance of him existing" and you take your "50% chance of him not existing" and have fun in hell.

have fun in hell???

fool...

like i said in this thread, i AM a christian but i do not just read the bible and say: "OMG this is great stuff i cannot wait to go to heaven and live with God" and etc...

i EXAMINE everything i read or hear or see. is this ignorant???

if God going to hate me for examining His words???

if this is so, i think God loves fools...

why is it such a bad thing that i examine things???

posted on Nov, 16 2004 @ 04:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by Thomas Crowne

Yup, it is not a theory. Hypothesis, but not a theory.

why is it not a theory???

please explain...

posted on Nov, 16 2004 @ 04:35 PM
link   
let's thing about this....
now stories told my word of mouth slowly change, correct? so who's to say there was a jesus...
okay, it's sometimes after the "Birth of Christ", and a man has a back problem. where's he gonna go? he goes to his friend, and asks what he should do about his back, who then responds:
"Man, you gotta go this guy named JEFF, he's this MASOUSE who works really cheap. I'm telling ya, man. This guy works MIRACLES on you liek you wouldn't believe. It's like he's the son of god or something."
Makes you think, doesn't it?

posted on Nov, 17 2004 @ 05:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by Killak420
What do you beleive in?

Every one is in need of a shepard you probably just found it somewhere else. The bible is not the only tool you can use for guidence and wisdom.
And I agree with you on the not trusting a wolve in sheeps clothing but you should always respect and love those sheep in wolves clothing(love thy enemy).

I believe in the energy of all things.. that everything that is alive on this planet was/is decended from a single cell that mutated.. [has scientific basis] which means I'm connected to everything including the planet. I don't consider it a good shepard or a 'god'.. I just realised we don't need god.. we have ourselves.

posted on Nov, 17 2004 @ 06:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by satchbfoot
now stories told my word of mouth slowly change, correct?

Just keep in mind in those days they didn't have the massive amount of the written word to depend on. Man in those days kept the story word for word as best they could. The American Indians are a good example of this. They were taught from birth to recite their history and their stories word for word. The Jews have kept the Tora (the 1st 5 books of the Bible) word for word, period for period, since the beginning. It has only been since the printed word that man has not depended on keeping the story straight that he tells by mouth.
So I would tend to think ancient man told the story more accurately again and again compared to modern man.

posted on Nov, 17 2004 @ 06:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by Hawker
Just keep in mind in those days they didn't have the massive amount of the written word to depend on. Man in those days kept the story word for word as best they could. The American Indians are a good example of this. They were taught from birth to recite their history and their stories word for word. The Jews have kept the Tora (the 1st 5 books of the Bible) word for word, period for period, since the beginning. It has only been since the printed word that man has not depended on keeping the story straight that he tells by mouth.
So I would tend to think ancient man told the story more accurately again and again compared to modern man.

I was running out of breath trying to make this point, thanks for making it look easy.

posted on Nov, 17 2004 @ 06:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by defcon5
You dont have to suffer to repent do you? If you consider following Gods word or Law suffering, then you only further push my point. I actually enjoy reading Gods word, and studying not only it, but other things that are connected to it. That does not sound like suffering to me. This is the point of life in my book:

Phi 2:12 Wherefore, my beloved, as ye have always obeyed, not as in my presence only, but now much more in my absence, work out your own salvation with fear and trembling.

See this is kind of constructive.. the 'obey' thing isn't for me of course but it says to take your own path and find your own 'salvation'. I'm all for that.

I was simply stating that this was your stance in regards to Earthly Pleasure, that you should attain Heaven here on Earth.

Ps: there is a religion that states exactly the same doctrine that you stated here, but you are not going to like what it is called.

www.satanism101.com...
Since Satanism is essentially a religion of the self, it holds that the individual and his personal needs comes first

The link didn't work but I vaguely remember the gist of Satanism and I don't judge it as it seemes to be more self empowerment than for mass control.. however given that you are Christian you no doubt consider it 'evil' and were making yet another inference. I find it puzzeling that you should jump to that extreme and compare my beliefs to satanism when I thought it was pretty obvious I lean more towards buddhism or paganism.. perhaps you were trying to 'demonise' my beliefs. Thats funny.

Again refer to the quote and link above. According to the Bible, in the end times men will be mainly guilty of worshiping false gods. The god that they will be worshipping is themselves

I don't have a shrine in my room honouring myself though I respect myself.

2Ti 3:1 This know also, that in the last days perilous times shall come.

First of.. I don't want the world to end and don't look forward to it- though religions are of course trying to fulfill this 'prophecy'.. if there was a god I don't think he'd want his creation destroyed in his name.. I think he'd be disgusted.

2Ti 3:2 For men shall be lovers of their own selves, covetous, boasters, proud, blasphemers, disobedient to parents, unthankful, unholy,
2Ti 3:3 Without natural affection, trucebreakers, false accusers,

Scientific evidence suggests humans do have natural affection [instinct] anyway.

incontinent, fierce, despisers of those that are good,

*I'm not a 'lover of self'.. in the glutenous context this suggests. I aspire to love myself and others more. Whats wrong with that? Should I hate myself instead? and 'lovers of pleasure'? My beliefs don't revolved around pleasure excusively though I'm not against it.. the core of my philosphy is to nurture. I respect and honour my parents so suggesting that these quotes cover my beliefs is insulting. And given I don't believe in god.. there is no such thing as blasphemy.. and if life gives me something to be grateful for.. I am thankful not 'unthankful'.

2Ti 3:4 Traitors, heady, highminded, lovers of pleasures more than lovers of God;
2Ti 3:5 Having a form of godliness, but denying the power thereof: from such turn away.
2Ti 3:6 For of this sort are they which creep into houses, and lead captive silly women laden with sins, led away with divers lusts,

Laden with lusts and sins? Are you assuming this must apply to me?

2Ti 3:7 Ever learning, and never able to come to the knowledge of the truth.

Truth is relative.. and knowledge is pretty bloody useless without wisdom.
----------

This is what is fundamentally wrong with your philosophy.

That verse you provided is not my philosophy.

As to your last question, I have no idea what you engage in, you simply stated that you where all about Heaven here and now, instant gratification.

Instant gratification? What.. because I'm not willing to wait till I die?
I might be 130 before I get fulfillment. Not exactly instant.. besides which I've already said I don't believe in god and heaven.. and as for any sort of 'after life'.. it doesn't really interest me as it's not relevant to the present.

Now I have shown you what is wrong with that philosophy from a Christian perspective, it was not a personal attack, so lets leave it at that.

Perhaps you should not use your gods words to judge and condemn non-believers as being unethical and damned. It did seem like a personal attack [on me and everone else who believes as i do] with some very flawed and uniformed assumptions. There is no subtance in your take on my beliefs.*
Also
Why is it Christians believe the lake of fire is for heathens? It might mean naplam [sp] or the A bomb fired by a white or black bishop who think the world is their own private little chessboard.

[edit on 17-11-2004 by riley]

posted on Nov, 25 2004 @ 06:33 AM
link   
I said this in reply to another post, but I'll say it again because I think it's relevant. I have read the Bible, and while doing so I started asking the question, "Where do the truths start and the parables begin?" I mean, everyone seems to think that there was DEFINITELY an Adam and Eve, two REAL people in a real Garden, and that there was a REAL tree and real fruit and all that. How do we know that this wasn't just a parable? A story with a good moral? Or how about Noah and the Ark? How do we know there really was a Noah and really was an Ark and that he really did take two of every animal on board with him and his family. I mean, I'm not going to pretend like I understood the majority of the Bible, because it's big and long and written in a language not different from my own, but not the same either. And I don't know how much of the Bible has been PROVEN by historians or archaelogists or anything, but sometimes I wonder if the Bible isn't a book that was written as a fictitious book of stories, and people were misled to think it was non-fiction. The same thing has happened to some extent with books like "The Da Vinci Code" and such. People took books like that as fact without question. Although I don't think "The Da Vinci Code" will ever be considered scripture, because everyone knows it's a lot of made up stuff, it's kind of a theory along the same lines. The fact is, the Bible is littered with random parables, and, correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think anyone can claim to be able to discern where the parables start and the truth begins.

posted on Nov, 25 2004 @ 07:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by an3rkist
I said this in reply to another post, but I'll say it again because I think it's relevant. I have read the Bible, and while doing so I started asking the question, "Where do the truths start and the parables begin?" I mean, everyone seems to think that there was DEFINITELY an Adam and Eve, two REAL people in a real Garden, and that there was a REAL tree and real fruit and all that. How do we know that this wasn't just a parable? A story with a good moral? Or how about Noah and the Ark? How do we know there really was a Noah and really was an Ark and that he really did take two of every animal on board with him and his family. I mean, I'm not going to pretend like I understood the majority of the Bible, because it's big and long and written in a language not different from my own, but not the same either. And I don't know how much of the Bible has been PROVEN by historians or archaelogists or anything, but sometimes I wonder if the Bible isn't a book that was written as a fictitious book of stories, and people were misled to think it was non-fiction. The same thing has happened to some extent with books like "The Da Vinci Code" and such. People took books like that as fact without question. Although I don't think "The Da Vinci Code" will ever be considered scripture, because everyone knows it's a lot of made up stuff, it's kind of a theory along the same lines. The fact is, the Bible is littered with random parables, and, correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think anyone can claim to be able to discern where the parables start and the truth begins.

good point and good read

you make good points and this is good...

posted on Jul, 8 2008 @ 11:49 PM
link   
reply to post by Ryanp5555

Ok first of all in the first paragraph of the bible it talks of god creating oceans of water, land beautiful vegetation and birds flying around... that would be the ideal begining right? well some places dont have night and day and birds definetly didnt fly around at the begining of time maybe a #ing taradactle a billion years later.. its all morals writtin at a time of a man thats it

posted on Jul, 9 2008 @ 07:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by Anonymous ATS
Ok first of all in the first paragraph of the bible it talks of god creating oceans of water, land beautiful vegetation and birds flying around... that would be the ideal begining right? well some places dont have night and day and birds definetly didnt fly around at the begining of time maybe a #ing taradactle a billion years later.. its all morals writtin at a time of a man thats it

Good point. Thanks for bringing my thread back to life

posted on Nov, 3 2008 @ 10:29 PM
link   
the bible is 1000000% true

posted on Nov, 4 2008 @ 10:23 AM
link   
Ok,

The stories in the Bible are not fake . If you do some research you will see lots of resemblance with stories in the Summerian Tablets in the Epic of Ghilgamesh in Enuma Elish very old documents written long before the bible.

All this stories are borrowed or stolen depends on your view .There were many Gods before some believe Jsus was a profet or one of the gods again is your choice . I would suggest you to Read Zecharia Sitchin "The Lost Book of Enki" and " Earth Chronicles " also "When Time Began " The is also a very old document "The History of Creation " I have all this books Free on line at scribd.com my page is :

www.scribd.com...

or my group :

www.scribd.com...

I have loads of books and documents on the subject I hope you will enjoy ..

All the best .

Love and Peace

posted on Nov, 4 2008 @ 10:42 AM
link   
reply to post by Anonymous ATS

Are you saying there was no tropical life on Antarctica or North pole?
Antarctic dinosaur fossils.
Giant redwoods at North Pole.

posted on Nov, 12 2008 @ 07:43 AM
link   

posted on Nov, 19 2008 @ 06:23 PM
link   
reply to post by they see ALL

I don't know when this stuff was all posted or if you are still reading and updating this, but, if you are going to make your arguments, make them right please. Christianity was formed BEFORE islam. MOHAMMED creator of Islam lived in the 7th century A.D. or about 1400 years ago.
HINDUism was formed 4,000 years ago, Buddism around 2,700 years and on and on. Judaism ame about around 700 years BC.

ALSO THERE IS NO ONE RELIGION THAT HALF THE POPULATION OF EARTH FOLLOWS. THE MOST SINGLE RELIGION FOLLOWERS IS ABOUT 1/3 OF THE EARTH'S POPULATION AND THAT ALLEGEDLY IS CHRISTIAN.

Here's some stats (alleged)
Christian: 1.8 billion 2,000 years
Islam: 1.225 billion 1,400 years
Hindu: 828 million 4,000 years
Buddhists: 500 million 2,700 years
Jews: 14.5 million 2,700 years

These numbers are all more or less, because it is impossible to determine the exact numbers of third world religious followers, and the actual dates of the beginnings of many religions is unknown.

AND I just wanted to say that whoever made that remark about the "truth living on" what a douchebag. That's the most stupid explanation for why christianity is real that I ever heard !

I basically agree with you, I'm just saying PLEASE get your actual facts straight because there are people who love to argue these facts and DO have the right information.

I believe Jesus lived as a man, but, son of god? whatever.

posted on Nov, 19 2008 @ 06:23 PM
link   
reply to post by they see ALL

I don't know when this stuff was all posted or if you are still reading and updating this, but, if you are going to make your arguments, make them right please. Christianity was formed BEFORE islam. MOHAMMED creator of Islam lived in the 7th century A.D. or about 1400 years ago.
HINDUism was formed 4,000 years ago, Buddism around 2,700 years and on and on. Judaism ame about around 700 years BC.

ALSO THERE IS NO ONE RELIGION THAT HALF THE POPULATION OF EARTH FOLLOWS. THE MOST SINGLE RELIGION FOLLOWERS IS ABOUT 1/3 OF THE EARTH'S POPULATION AND THAT ALLEGEDLY IS CHRISTIAN.

Here's some stats (alleged)
Christian: 1.8 billion 2,000 years
Islam: 1.225 billion 1,400 years
Hindu: 828 million 4,000 years
Buddhists: 500 million 2,700 years
Jews: 14.5 million 2,700 years

These numbers are all more or less, because it is impossible to determine the exact numbers of third world religious followers, and the actual dates of the beginnings of many religions is unknown.

AND I just wanted to say that whoever made that remark about the "truth living on" what a douchebag. That's the most stupid explanation for why christianity is real that I ever heard !

I basically agree with you, I'm just saying PLEASE get your actual facts straight because there are people who love to argue these facts and DO have the right information.

I believe Jesus lived as a man, but, son of god? whatever.

posted on Nov, 19 2008 @ 06:50 PM
link   
Although your theory is far from original, and although I am anti-religious and agnostic, I too believe the Bible is merely a book of parables. A tool meant to teach how to be a "good" and "just" person. A tool to help one understand the power of God.

Of course, modern Christians pervert the morality, and misinterpret the details, but the underlying, original purpose remains.

[edit on 11/19/2008 by prototism]

[edit on 11/19/2008 by prototism]

posted on Nov, 21 2008 @ 12:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by Anonymous ATS
I don't know when this stuff was all posted or if you are still reading and updating this, but, if you are going to make your arguments, make them right please.

Thanks for all your information. Yeah, this is an old thread (started in November, 2004), but I am still here
. Sorry for the wrong information, I am educated now
. Isn't Islam now the world's largest religion? I think the Vatican released information about this recently. It may not be a third of the world's population, but it's still a lot probably. Anyway, yeah, Islam was after Christianity. I don't know how I didn't know that, but I know that now (actually, I have known that for a while). One changes in 3-4 years
. Also, hasn't Judaism been around for 5,000 years? Aren't they in the year 5,000 something?

[edit on 21-11-2008 by they see ALL]

posted on Dec, 1 2008 @ 08:18 PM
link   
Your all gay Religion is gay all guys who care about gods are gay, you know its true, but who can believe a that a single thing created the human race with out creating the rest of the universe?

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join