It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

First Human Brain-To-Brain Interface Lets Scientist Control Colleague\'s Body

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 30 2013 @ 02:02 PM
link   

NEW YORK (Reuters) - Scientists said Tuesday they have achieved the first human-to-human mind meld, with one researcher sending a brain signal via the Internet to control the hand motion of a colleague sitting across the Seattle campus of the University of Washington.

The feat is less a conceptual advance than another step in the years-long progress that researchers have made toward brain-computer interfaces, in which electrical signals generated from one brain are translated by a computer into commands that can move a mechanical arm or a computer cursor - or, in more and more studies, can affect another brain.

Much of the research has been aimed at helping paralyzed patients regain some power of movement, but bioethicists have raised concerns about more controversial uses.

In February, for instance, scientists led by Duke University Medical Center's Miguel Nicolelis used electronic sensors to capture the thoughts of a rat in a lab in Brazil and sent via Internet to the brain of a rat in the United States. The second rat received the thoughts of the first, mimicking its behavior. And electrical activity in the brain of a monkey at Duke, in North Carolina, was recently sent via the Internet, controlling a robot arm in Japan.

www.huffingtonpost.com...

Ok I am concerned this will only go south,and it's funded by the military to boot not good,perhaps I need to take some of these conspiracy theorist more seriously.
edit on 30-8-2013 by Spider879 because: fixing

posted on Aug, 30 2013 @ 02:09 PM
link   
Very exciting stuff read up on it a few days ago, It holds a host of possibilities.

First step in by passing spinal injuries at the spine for one.

OR hyper realistic VR, alla the matrix.

But like all advancements let wait and see if its used for good or ill.

posted on Aug, 30 2013 @ 02:19 PM
link   
reply to post by benrl

Yes but ultimately it's a military project,I know we get positive spin-off from military research all the time but???

posted on Aug, 30 2013 @ 02:29 PM
link   
Me and a few mates tried this experiment a few weekends ago.

Yeah we connected one of the tin foil hats to Stevo and the other tin foil hat to the dog.

It was a test of wills really to see whose was strongest, and instead of Stevo trying to teach the dog how to fetch a beer from the fridge, he went around the room sniffing people's bums all night.

posted on Aug, 30 2013 @ 09:05 PM
link   
reply to post by Trubeeleever

You know it's gone to far when your mate sits on the couch and starts licking his balls.
But then, if he's like my mates he does it anyway.

posted on Aug, 30 2013 @ 09:42 PM
link   
reply to post by LeLeu

There's always somebody whose prepared to go 1 extra step further.

posted on Aug, 31 2013 @ 04:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by benrl
Very exciting stuff read up on it a few days ago, It holds a host of possibilities.

First step in by passing spinal injuries at the spine for one.

OR hyper realistic VR, alla the matrix.

But like all advancements let wait and see if its used for good or ill.

Likely, it will be used for both, so there will be no getting rid of how it's used for ill. That's the general way.

Years ago, when EMF applied to the brain of a subject was discussed, in the '70s when psychotronic weaponry was outlawed, or research, for that matter, it was one thing. Today we have threads about it changing your morality.......in other words, we're just using it on the truly sick, identified by fMRI, to keep everyone "safe."
The point being, if you're pumping things in, who can say what you're visualizeing via the fMRI is what you pumped in to justify what's being done to the subject, or the other way around?

On another note, could have sworn I saw a thread on this with exactly the same title last week or the week before.....time dilation, anyone.....or maybe I'll just search before asserting something so outrageous.
I love italics, much more than bold. Maybe I should make use of bold more often, though.
edit on 31-8-2013 by tetra50 because: (no reason given)

Nope. Just searched for it by the exact same title I remembered, and there's no other record of this thread other than this one, a day ago. Hmmmmmm....... well, I'm sure everything will be fine, regardless...see my signature.....i have so much faith in that.
edit on 31-8-2013 by tetra50 because: searching

edit on 31-8-2013 by tetra50 because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

join