It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Hubble telescope spots 'cosmic caterpillar'

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 31 2013 @ 09:27 AM
link   
Methinks wrong episode of Star Trek. What about that GIANT AMEOBA thingy? Gene Rodenberry tried to tell everyone that we are not just in a universe, but an BIOVERSE. It looks like we just got pushed waaay down on the food chain folks!! It looks like now is the time to get in touch with your inner buffet.

posted on Sep, 2 2013 @ 01:58 AM
link   
reply to post by wildespace

Here's the image I was hoping they would release this month:
dropcanvas.com...
The zip file contains the full resolution 100 megapixel version of the mosaic.

posted on Sep, 2 2013 @ 02:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by ngchunter

Here's the image I was hoping they would release this month:
dropcanvas.com...
The zip file contains the full resolution 100 megapixel version of the mosaic.

Fantastic! Looks like a wormhole leading into another universe. Any chance of uploading the 100 mp version to Gigapan.com or a similar website? That way we can explore it without stressing our computers.

I found this video too:

But I did like the "caterpillar" release, never seen it before. And being a "solar system" in the making, it's a subject of special interest.
edit on 2-9-2013 by wildespace because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 2 2013 @ 02:42 AM
link   

Thanks! Yeah, I threw a couple other galaxies in the mix in the video as well. It's not really that I'm upset they did the caterpillar image, it's more that they "only" did the caterpillar image this month - I'm just one guy doing this in his spare time and I can do at least 3 a month without breaking a sweat, including a giant mosaic like this (though if I had more computing power I could have done a slightly better job on it).

I just don't understand that rationale of only releasing one image a month like that and in the process delaying or overlooking huge beautiful images like M83. They did a whole song and dance routine when they finished their mosaic of the whirlpool galaxy (granted it was also released on Hubble's 15th anniversary), I think the southern pinwheel is just as deserving.

And thanks for the gigapan link, I was hoping something like that existed. I'll look into it.
edit on 2-9-2013 by ngchunter because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 2 2013 @ 04:03 AM
link   
Speaking of cosmic caterpillars, here's one I found in the Carina nebula

Sky-M ap.com link

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join