It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Hubble telescope spots 'cosmic caterpillar'

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 30 2013 @ 10:07 AM
link   
New space story from hubble ...this object is 4,500 light years away, it's 1 light year across..

(I pushed "to soon" ) messed my whole story up

anyway...here is link www.dailymail.co.uk...

edit on 30-8-2013 by RUFFREADY because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 30 2013 @ 10:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by RUFFREADY

Could you enlarge your post a bit? I can't see anything.

posted on Aug, 30 2013 @ 10:12 AM
link   
reply to post by sligtlyskeptical

I typed up every thing and forgot to put "title" and had to start all over

I didn't put all I had b4 (screw it) ha haha oh well...

posted on Aug, 30 2013 @ 10:14 AM
link   
reply to post by RUFFREADY

Thanks for posting the image. It is pretty cool. Any idea what it is exactly?

Edit: Article says it is a star.
edit on 30-8-2013 by sligtlyskeptical because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 30 2013 @ 10:14 AM
link   

It looks more like the Doomsday Machine from Star Trek:ToS.

posted on Aug, 30 2013 @ 10:15 AM
link   
reply to post by sligtlyskeptical

A proto planet...it's a tadpole like proto planet forming collecting stuff.

From article:

The protostar is located 4,500 light-years away in the constellation Cygnus
It is currently collecting material from an envelope of gas surrounding it
The gas, however, is also being eroded by surrounding stellar radiation

Published on Aug 29, 2013

Zooming Into A Protostar.
August 29, 2013.
This video begins with a view of the stars in the constellation Cygnus. We zoom into the Cygnus OB2 association region, and then into a Hubble view of protostar IRAS 20234+4057. This light-year-long knot of interstellar gas and dust resembles a caterpillar on its way to a feast.

Credit: NASA, ESA, and G. Bacon (STScI)

I had all this on my first try...

posted on Aug, 30 2013 @ 10:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by Zaphod58

It looks more like the Doomsday Machine from Star Trek:ToS.

Lol thats the first thing I thought "wheres kirk when you need him"

posted on Aug, 30 2013 @ 10:26 AM
link   
Beautiful but it looks more like a cosmic jellyfish to me!

posted on Aug, 30 2013 @ 10:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by zetaM7
Beautiful but it looks more like a cosmic jellyfish to me!

Looks like Mothra Larva, to me!

posted on Aug, 30 2013 @ 10:47 AM
link   
It's the "Doomsday Machine" !

posted on Aug, 30 2013 @ 11:28 AM
link   
Original source: hubblesite.org...

Cool! I wonder how long will it take for the protostar to "ignite". 1000 years? 10,000 years?

Here it is in visible light at Sky-Map.com - the protostar itself is not visible inside the thick cloud of gas and dust.

In infrared, the hot protostar is seen shining brightly through the cloud, as seen here by the WISE infrared space telescope:

edit on 30-8-2013 by wildespace because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 30 2013 @ 11:53 AM
link   
Very cool share OP

Makes you wonder what would life be like inside one of those if there was some existing?

posted on Aug, 30 2013 @ 11:43 PM
link   
Interesting, not what I expected the Hubble Heritage team to focus on this month... the HST data for this image was taken 7 years ago and released 6 years ago. That's pretty old for a new Heritage release. There's some fresh data that was just released yesterday and some more of it is being released today that I would think would make for a much more gorgeous image. A lot more work to make the final image from the raw data, but a lot more impressive in my humble opinion. Perhaps they're going to do that one at the end of this month instead. That's fine with me though, I'm going to go ahead and make it anyway whether they do or not.

posted on Aug, 31 2013 @ 02:22 AM
link   
reply to post by ngchunter

Where do you find this latest data? I had a look at archive.stsci.edu... but it only returns the two HST observations in 2006.
edit on 31-8-2013 by wildespace because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 31 2013 @ 02:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by ngchunter
Interesting, not what I expected the Hubble Heritage team to focus on this month... the HST data for this image was taken 7 years ago and released 6 years ago. That's pretty old for a new Heritage release. There's some fresh data that was just released yesterday and some more of it is being released today that I would think would make for a much more gorgeous image. A lot more work to make the final image from the raw data, but a lot more impressive in my humble opinion. Perhaps they're going to do that one at the end of this month instead. That's fine with me though, I'm going to go ahead and make it anyway whether they do or not.

Ha ha ha ha ha are you nuts?

I think what I posted is just fine.

Post your own star stuff buddy

I still think it looks like Mothra...

posted on Aug, 31 2013 @ 02:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by RUFFREADY

Originally posted by ngchunter

Ha ha ha ha ha are you nuts?

I think what I posted is just fine.

Post your own star stuff buddy

I still think it looks like Mothra...

My issue isn't with you or what you posted, it is fine, my issue is with the Hubble Heritage team that could have released this image any time in the last 6 years but instead chose to do just this image for this month's release when a much more major release of raw data was just made to the public and they could have processed for the public to see.

posted on Aug, 31 2013 @ 02:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by wildespace

Where do you find this latest data?

archive.stsci.edu...
This is where you can find the latest raw data. You need to process the raw fits files though to produce useable images. That's what the Hubble Heritage team usually does; they process this raw data into color composites for public consumption. I started doing the same thing last month, I'm going to start covering the ground that they miss.

posted on Aug, 31 2013 @ 03:04 AM
link   

Cool, but I can't find anything new on IRAS 20324+4057 there, or anything for the same coordinates. I searched at archive.stsci.edu... but it only returns the two observations from 2006.

Here's my RGB composite from those two - infrared (red), infrared+visible (green), visible (blue):

Or do you mean that there are other targets of observation, more worthy of the monthly release?
edit on 31-8-2013 by wildespace because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 31 2013 @ 03:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by wildespace

Cool, but I can't find anything new on IRAS 20324+4057 there,

That's because those observations aren't recent, the page I gave you specifically shows the recent ones.

or anything for the same coordinates. I searched at archive.stsci.edu... but it only returns the two observations from 2006.

Exactly the point. Those ARE the data they used. From 2006.

Meanwhile, they've been releasing some new image data on M83 that could be used to construct a gorgeous panorama of pretty much the whole galaxy. They previously showed the nucleus, but as of today there is now enough data released to cover pretty much the whole thing. They released some last month and now they've released more this month. I'm going to finish constructing it myself in a few hours and then release the finished version. Instead they focused on a simple color composite of old data from 2006 - that should have taken maybe an hour at most to do, you did your own version there pretty quickly. They could have done that earlier in the month, maybe a couple weeks ago, and then done M83 this weekend,

posted on Aug, 31 2013 @ 08:09 AM
link   

A proto planet...it's a tadpole like proto planet forming collecting stuff.
From article:
The protostar is located 4,500 light-years away

A planet and a star are, um, two different things.

I know -- nit-picking, but that bugged me.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join