It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

If God created us, then why didn't he give us a perfect eye?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 29 2013 @ 09:36 PM
link   
I hear a lot that god made us perfect. An example given is the human eye.

But are our eyes really that perfect?

Our eyes are not perfect, one of it's faults is that it has a Blind Spot. The eye of an octopus doesn't have this problem. If our nerve fibers and our retina changed positions then our eyes would be better designed and we wouldn't have the blind spot.

If god created us, then why did he give the octopus better eyes?

posted on Aug, 29 2013 @ 09:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by danielsil18

Our eyes are not perfect, one of it's faults is that it has a Blind Spot. The eye of an octopus doesn't have this problem. If our nerve fibers and our retina changed positions then our eyes would be better designed and we wouldn't have the blind spot.

Maybe because we had a third one we no longer use. Or maybe because we don't have any natural predators. Or maybe because we aren't swiming under murky water. A lot of animals have better senses then us. Love to see a ooctopus post a topic on ats. I think in this sense maybe perfect is perceptive, in the eyes of god.

posted on Aug, 29 2013 @ 09:58 PM
link   
I don't know, I think our eyeballs are amazing.

My eyeballs have a dynamic range that out performs anything we humans have made thus far. Plus I have instantaneous live-feed HD viewing, at my pleasure, any time I want.

Just so I understand, you'd rather have eyes, like that of a squid?

posted on Aug, 29 2013 @ 10:01 PM
link   
reply to post by danielsil18

Perhaps to test you, for life is a test....so you would ask questions like this, and arrive at an answer of acceptance and tolerance, and live here while holding onto your character, as difficult as this is and always will be.

Not that I know, of course. Just guessing, here.

posted on Aug, 29 2013 @ 10:06 PM
link   
Or perhaps...

Why don't our teeth regrow? Our hair and nails do...
edit on 29/8/2013 by Sovaka because: Spelling

posted on Aug, 29 2013 @ 10:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by slowisfast
I don't know, I think our eyeballs are amazing.

My eyeballs have a dynamic range that out performs anything we humans have made thus far. Plus I have instantaneous live-feed HD viewing, at my pleasure, any time I want.

Just so I understand, you'd rather have eyes, like that of a squid?

Im not saying our eyes are not amazing. Im stating that they are not perfect.

The octopus doesn't have our blind spot and the cause is mostly the position of our nerve fibers and retina.

If god created us then why is it that an octopus gets to have a better eye than us?

posted on Aug, 29 2013 @ 10:09 PM
link   

Why can't we fly? Why can't I hear beyond the range I am set to hear? Why can't I breathe under water? Why does a fish get to extract oxygen from the water? Why am I restricted by law?

This man had a blind spot.

John 9

9 As he went along, he saw a man blind from birth. 2 His disciples asked him, “Rabbi, who sinned, this man or his parents, that he was born blind?”

3 “Neither this man nor his parents sinned,” said Jesus, “but this happened so that the works of God might be displayed in him. 4 As long as it is day, we must do the works of him who sent me. Night is coming, when no one can work. 5 While I am in the world, I am the light of the world.”

We are currently restricted to settings that are predetermined. Additionally, we are governed by laws that are our guardians. Sight with eyes is not our only vision of the world. We can also see with the mind. Why did God make it this way and not another?

Galatians 3

Children of God

23 Before the coming of this faith,[j] we were held in custody under the law, locked up until the faith that was to come would be revealed. 24 So the law was our guardian until Christ came that we might be justified by faith. 25 Now that this faith has come, we are no longer under a guardian.

26 So in Christ Jesus you are all children of God through faith, 27 for all of you who were baptized into Christ have clothed yourselves with Christ. 28 There is neither Jew nor Gentile, neither slave nor free, nor is there male and female, for you are all one in Christ Jesus. 29 If you belong to Christ, then you are Abraham’s seed, and heirs according to the promise.

A good comparison is to a child. Why doesn't a child think abstract until around 12 years old? The answer is obvious. Development requires this restriction. Why can't you see when a light is shined directly in your eyes? What if it is diffused for a time, then gradually increased? What happens when you emerge from a cave into directly sunlight? Again, the answer is by comparison to nature.

If you cannot see what I am saying today, or even yesterday's tomorrow, then wait a day. Today is tomorrows yesterday. There's still time and you will eventually see if you think on what is said. All things have a purpose.

Keep questioning your answers.

posted on Aug, 29 2013 @ 10:12 PM
link   
For the same reason we don't shoot webs out of our asses to build webs to catch our pray - we don't need it. We have hands that work just fine, and we have eyes that work just fine. Had we been an aquatic species that needed to see more effectively in a deep dark ocean, we probably would have evolved differently and had eyesight like an octopus.

ETA: my answer is describing evolution and not creationism
edit on 8/29/2013 by scojak because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 29 2013 @ 10:13 PM
link   
reply to post by EnochWasRight

I don't think the bible will answer my question.

posted on Aug, 29 2013 @ 10:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by scojak
For the same reason we don't shoot webs out of our asses to build webs to catch our pray - we don't need to. We have hands that work just fine, and we have eyes that work just fine. Had we been an aquatic species that needed to see more effectively in a deep dark ocean, we probably would have evolved differently and had eyesight like an octopus.

ETA: my answer is describing evolution and not creationism
edit on 8/29/2013 by scojak because: (no reason given)

Makes sense when it's explained by evolution.

But my question is regarding to some people who use the eye as evidence for the existence of a god.

posted on Aug, 29 2013 @ 10:16 PM
link   
squid don't have a head to turn and we do. Therefore, we have perfect heads and don't need perfect eyes

posted on Aug, 29 2013 @ 10:34 PM
link   
The perfect eye is given to those who fight for it.

The ones who use these two eyes in the right way.

posted on Aug, 29 2013 @ 10:39 PM
link   
You're right, the eye is often cited by creationists as "too incredible" to have evolved, it must have been created. Here are a few other thoughts:

We have extremely limited color vision. You think a rainbow is pretty? Try seeing a rainbow with ultraviolet and infrared light. Then you can see its true colors.

Our night vision is a joke. Sure, it's gotten worse over time with the advent of the city and electricity and what not, but it was never that good to begin with.

We have too many eye problems. Some people are legally blind. Others need thick glasses just to see. And even more people need some kind of corrective vision enhancement to be able to read or see distances. Very few people have 20/20 vision, and even fewer have 20/10 or 20/8 (almost unheard of, but it does happen).

posted on Aug, 29 2013 @ 10:42 PM
link   

Im not saying our eyes are not amazing. Im stating that they are not perfect.

The octopus doesn't have our blind spot and the cause is mostly the position of our nerve fibers and retina.

If god created us then why is it that an octopus gets to have a better eye than us?

Define perfect?
How would you make a perfect eye?

I'm a little taken aback by the fact that you're insisting that an octopus has better eyes than a human. Different, absolutely. Equally as amazing, yes! Better? Eh, to each their own, I guess.

posted on Aug, 29 2013 @ 10:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by mideast
The perfect eye is given to those who fight for it.

The ones who use these two eyes in the right way.

I don't get the point you are trying to make

posted on Aug, 29 2013 @ 10:49 PM
link   
reply to post by slowisfast

Define perfect?
How would you make a perfect eye?

I'm a little taken aback by the fact that you're insisting that an octopus has better eyes than a human. Different, absolutely. Equally as amazing, yes! Better? Eh, to each their own, I guess.

A perfect eye.. to start, it shouldn't have faults or flaws like ours. Our blind spot is an example.

An octopus does have a better eye than us, it doesn't have our blind spot. Which means they can see more than us.

My question is If god created us then why give the octopus a better eye than us?

posted on Aug, 29 2013 @ 10:50 PM
link   
God madeus imperfect so we can better see him.

Don't youi know how to twist words tomake them fit the holy word yet?

It's almost as if god gave you a brain capable of looking beyond the concept of god, yet told you "Do that and I'll be upset with you!"

posted on Aug, 29 2013 @ 10:51 PM
link   
relax

Most of you aren't well. Trust me on this..I don't care how responsible or successful you think you may be,

MIXED FEELINGS

edit on 29-8-2013 by superluminal11 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 29 2013 @ 10:57 PM
link   
I have better than 20-20 or so I'm told.
My husband is blind without glasses.
Thankfully, all four of our children take after me. They have 'perfect' eye sight to.

Cirque

posted on Aug, 29 2013 @ 11:11 PM
link   
Whoever created this race may have thought of stainless steel teeth and gums impervious to gum disease-i know this sounds flippant but its not meant to be-just years of hearing from the hubby that the best argument against intelligent design is the human mouth(teeth+gums) He also believes,as do I,that the race was created-but who/whatever by-could have designed mouths to be more effective+hardy-can you imagine the pain through all the ages before modern dentistry? And even with dentistry-there is a lot of pain+suffering centered around dental propblems,gum disease etc.To me,that is the one part of the design that could've been done differently.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join