It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Schools Put Genius Child In Special Ed, Tell Mom He Can’t Learn.

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 29 2013 @ 09:29 PM
link   
I really do hope that people that see this, think just a bit differently when they encounter a child with "autism/add/adhd".

I am in NO way stating that this isnt an issue, I am just saying that we have to look better at ourselves, doctors, schools, and most importantly... our children.

Peace, NRE.

posted on Aug, 30 2013 @ 11:17 AM
link   
Although not having a Einstein like IQ (Mines 140) I understand this.

I got diagnosed with dyslexia when I was 8 and "held back". My maths was far above average and my reading the best in the class. As for History, Geography and Science I was 2-5 years ahead of the rest of the class.
But I got put with the "special ed group" which almost destroyed me. It was humiliating and frustrating as yes I needed help with my writing and spelling but the rest was fine yet they held me back in all the stuff I was good at. for a 8 year old I just couldn't understand why I couldn't carry on ahead with all the stuff I was good at? Why did I have to go the speed of the slowest in my year? How am I supposed to catch up going slower than everyone else?

Anyway after a lot of trouble I had my parents intervene and pull me out. Now I have a BSc and working on a second degree in History.

Spellings still crap though lol

posted on Aug, 30 2013 @ 11:39 AM
link   
When I was younger they tried to diagnose me with ADHD. They got my brother and he started the ridlliun (sp?) train ride to stupidity. The simple fact was, I was completely and totally bored with school. It wasn't challenging, it wasn't hard, it was simply boring. Some people process differently, some process faster, some slower, doesn't mean they have a learning disability, just means they need to identify how best to learn and go with it.

posted on Aug, 30 2013 @ 01:15 PM
link   
That's great that his mom recognized his potential. What an amazing kid!

As far as our schools and the medication of our children, I couldn't agree more. My son was reading before he entered kindergarten. Half way through his first grade year he had become moody, withdrawn and actually stopped reading. After one semester at home he was reading chapter books like " Stuart Little " and " James and the Giant Peach ". He also caught up on basic math and kept going almost halfway through his second grade skill set. He blazed through basic science with flying colors and even enjoyed history and only missed 3 spelling words on his tests all semester. He is a normal inquisitive young boy, and only now after a busy fun summer is he finally coming out of his shell.

I know there are good caring teachers out there, but even they seemed bogged down by bureaucracy. I still have not received a good answer as to why they spend months learning nonsense words, when they could just as easily be teaching simple real words instead. Taking my sons' education into my own hands was the best decision I have ever made. I am grateful for the opportunity to do so. We do our best to take care of ourselves and I hope that I can at least instill a certain self sufficiency into my boys. That alone opens the world to them.

The medication issue is also one that I have felt strongly about, but then again my kids get vitamins and herbal teas when they get sick, instead of a trip to the doc. I have only met 2 medical professionals that wanted to heal and let me walk out of their offices without meds of some kind. Neither were in our lives for long unfortunately. Medicine should be about healing and not money and politics.

Sorry for the rant, but thanks for the post! I logged in just to respond.
It is nice to see more people waking up though instead of taking the easy way out.

posted on Aug, 31 2013 @ 01:57 AM
link   
Though this subject affects thousands of parents, and millions of children are misdiagnosed, this thread has less views than Miley Cyrus' a**.

I wonder if for some its too late to think about the deterioration of the education system.

Peace, NRE.

posted on Aug, 31 2013 @ 04:30 AM
link   
Yes, we need schools that incorporate the concept of neurodiversity. The educational system in its present form is painfully clueless and almost offensive. Naturally, human society in its entirety rewards those who can make it through its system and it has obtusely defined value and merit to justify and protect its current structure.

posted on Aug, 31 2013 @ 05:23 AM
link   
These days there's a lot of people to blame, first and foremost PARENT(S)...

Yep, parents, the most solid base a child can have, a learning tool for the child there 24/7 and the one person that can give 1 to 1 and understand where the child is coming from. We presently live on a council estate, we have lived in nicer places and has a comfortable life before we came here and our daughter was born but I've also lived in some seriously BAD places so there's a lot of life learning that has gone on.

The reason I mention this is that the estate mentality here with the parents is that you come from an estate and will die in the estate, your kids WILL drop out of school and will join gangs so its not worth bothering to improve them beyond getting a menial job.

And seriously that IS the mentality here..

My schooling background isn't stunning, my wife is the real clever one of us but we BOTH have a bond with our daughter to help her help herself, she's encouraged rather than pushed, I sort of went back to school in a way by using the internet to research so to make sure as she got older I was current with her learning, she's given help where she needs it, encouraged to look at problems in multiple ways and if she's still stuck we give her hints and we have done this since she was old enough to start taking in information. She's taught every day in a way she gets information but its passed on in a matter of fact way, if she asks why something does what it does I don't just say, I explain the source and make it short but sweet, not boring but funny which seeps in to a child more.

She's now 13, she's top of her grades for almost all subjects, she's already being touted by her teachers for great things and she's a mature 13, by that I mean she can talk to an adult in an adult way when asked in class. But saying that we did one thing I think most parents just brush past and that's making sure they have a good childhood and are not encouraged to be older than they are, by 13 here most of the girls smoke, drink, are having sex and in some cases becoming mothers, my daughter does none of that, she does not even swear.

The point of this isn't to parade my daughter as some sort of genius, its to say that parents CAN make the difference if they bother.

That aside we also can blame schools for the way they have evolved in to cattle markets thus losing the personal feel towards their students, I used to feel happy to query my teacher when I didn't understand, now the children are either not interested, not encouraged to ask or frightened to ask. The teachers are having class sizes that simply devolve learning, add to the growing number of children here who's first language isn't English and you can see the system straining to teach the kids properly.

This then leads to another issue, you have incorrectly schooled children who may not want to learn or do but are bored by the lack of education, the schools then look at these children as problem children who have issues, in comes the Doctor and ADHD, Autism etc etc are plastered all over these kids like a bad label when in fact most if not all have none of these issues, the system has simply let them slip through the cracks and ignored them.

Many of these children just need to be brought back to base and re-educated but funding and parental ignorance often mean this never happens.

I also dislike this new teaching ways, the way arithmetic is done on a single line rather than the old way of stacked in tens and units etc. What is worse is that halfway through her education they suddenly did an about face and went to the original way, how bloody confusing, the old ways have worked for hundreds of years.

Sadly there's no emphasis on solving problems from multiple angles, they teach and sternly warn that their way is the only way, its one dimensional rubbish and quite frankly dumbs the child down, the key to learning has always to look at stuff numerous ways, the key isn't always visible one way but glaringly obvious the other way.

Its simple logic, sadly a notion missing in today's overcrowded schools where watering down the exams to achieve results is thought to be the best way, its certainly not the best way for the kids!

I hope this makes sense, it works for my wife and daughter and me, it seems to give good results and a stable girl with morals and decency.

Can't ask for more..
edit on 31-8-2013 by Mclaneinc because: (no reason given)

edit on 31-8-2013 by Mclaneinc because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 31 2013 @ 08:18 AM
link   
What a inspirational young man.

My biased opinion is that the education system is flawed because it's build for a certain type of person. Some people have trouble to conform to that and never reach to their potential.

It's funny and sad how sociology says people judge other flaws as having to do with the person and their own faults on the environment. These doctors do that by stating there's something wrong with the boy and by focusing on that, instead of focusing on a different environment, which was all he needed.

I too wonder how many potential geniuses are out there, but are getting lost in this world. This young man is exceptional, but what about some lesser exceptional people who have the potential to be productive?

I must watch out to not entirely blame the education system. I have bad experiences with it myself so it's true I am biased. I think Seth Godin and Michio Kaku make good statements:

www.youtube.com...

www.youtube.com...

But again, this might be conformation bias on my part. I do however honestly believe that it's mostly my own fault that education doesn't work for me.

posted on Aug, 31 2013 @ 08:31 AM
link   
You folks on ATS don't know anything. Back in the late 80s/early 90s I was put into what I would call the "system" back in Los Angeles. Back when it first started with me in the late 80s, racism back there was really extreme. I lived in the San Fernando Valley, and in Van Nuys I was with one of the first black families there. I was the only black male in pretty much any class (that means all except for one) that I was in. Some while teacher from a town called "Lancaster" decided they didn't like me back then, and made up some stuff that put me into the "system" (it starts with LAUSD special education schools, but once they kick you out it goes deeper into "the system").
Man, you knuckleheads don't know anything about conspiracy. This is back in the day when I had reams of print outs hidden in my mom's closet about every news/magazine article concerning any of the alien/ET craziness (I quit ATS a long time ago because you guys don't listen to the REAL at all). This was when they ran SIGHTINGS and ENCOUNTERS back to back on fox, and I watched every single episode (I didn't start having serious problems with the aliens until college, but from personal experience, that is definitely not material for a soft core CT website like ATS, so it must be left out, and fortunately).
"The System" is no joke. It all started out with that initial feeling of sheer fright that you get over, but once that first teacher in the wheelchair tells you that you're too smart for him within the first week and passes you on to the next teacher, LOOK OUT. Especially back then. Fellow black americans just beat up on me (they had to bus them in from "Los Angeles proper"), and when a white americans parents found out that their son's best friend was me, it all ended right there. Mistake number one is introducing yourself to white parents as their sons best friend back then. In a "special ed" school in Los Angeles, it meant you got kicked out of LAUSD quickly. By that time LAUSD teachers had already beat me so badly that I even had a knot on my neck that was huge (these days it is a lot smaller, but it is still there and it is from when they tried to break my neck). When they REALLY got tired of me and showed me their room (LAUSD still here) with padded walls, I just cried (that was actually the only thing I was guilty of the whole time, was crying about the ordeal). This was way back when I was... this was from grades preschool to middle school. I was practically "born" into the system with no way out. I had no chance to "prove" myself in a regular classroom. It was just "hey, this is the only black guy.. so lets see what he thinks about a lifetime of pure torture and isolation worse than any prison.. until he goes home!".
You dunces don't know anything about "America". You make me so sick I can't even begin to tell you about it. After getting kicked out of LAUSD (again, white teachers that and white parents that decide they don't like that sole black guy that is left in "the system"), you go to these other schools where they torture you more. We're talking big buff Vietnam veterans, and other big buff much older high school folks that you'll go to school with (One of those big buff guys landed on top of me and shoved my face into the pavement [said he wanted to "get" me] and chipped lots of my teeth, among other injuries).
I'm probably running out of characters for my post, so I'll end it by saying that I escaped "the system" (to make a long story short) after the "Northridge Earthquakes". My mom lost her mind (man, it's so hard to believe that you guys don't know anything about the aliens at all yet, but I didn't back then either, so I'll let you off here) and eventually we had to trek to another city and my mom just decided that it wasn't a good idea to mention that I was in special ed. So, I went into a regular school with the quick warning of "don't screw up". But of course, knowing that the consequences could be death, of course I wouldn't screw up. And after my mom saw my injuries and then endless torture and rapes and whatever else I had been through, she knew that.
Eventually, it turned out that she was actually much crazier than me (you really gotta toss in the aliens for this one, so we'll stop here), but that's a story that can't be told here unfortunately. But, from experience you don't like that story at all.

posted on Aug, 31 2013 @ 10:44 AM
link   
the word "genius" comes from "djinn" and every major historical figure has been guided by them.

science is a poem of consciousness contrived by our leaders, who worship the supernatural in various forms--likely the same ones guiding the historical figures...

quantum physics, evolution, etc are not true sciences, since they are again and again proven to be dishonest and based on illogical assumptions and BELIEFS. Quantum physics, for example , requires a vacuum and a "planck's constant"... both do not exist.

watch "the net"

youtu.be...

posted on Aug, 31 2013 @ 10:46 AM
link   
also worth viewing:

youtu.be...

note the bias in "science" and lawsuits that result if someone tries to say anything different from the accepted "beliefs"

posted on Aug, 31 2013 @ 10:48 AM
link   
reply to post by MegaCurious

brother, please watch:

vimeo.com...

posted on Aug, 31 2013 @ 10:55 AM
link   
reply to post by DocHolidaze

Well I guess if you only ever read ATS and listen to people who say that, it is true.

But what happens when you encounter someone who says that until their diagnosis and medical intervention, they were simply not able to cope? The people who are now adults, who say it helped them focus and remain in school?

Sometimes it's clear to me that as long as we're not looking at the picture with the intention of looking AT the picture, we're going to see what ever it is we want. Pill pushing doctors see easy markets, and paranoid conspiracy theorists see a corrupt medical profession.

No one ever stops to look at the person and find out what is or is not working for them.

posted on Aug, 31 2013 @ 11:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by benrl
I was held back in first grade, and they recommended I go into special ed.

Heres what happened, we moved to a new school mid 1st grade year, the teacher gave me the math book and said we would be doing that.

I finished it cover to cover, I was put in the corner and told I was in trouble because now she had nothing else for me to do for the rest of the year...

SO guess what young Benrl did who even than hated abuse of authority, I did NOTHING, and I mean nothing, I would stare blankly at the teacher every time she talked, not responding.

In a way it was my Gandhi like protest to the unfairness of it.

So I get held back, next year same thing, parents get told I am mentally disabled, parents take me to Psychologist and various doctors.

Colleges level Math and Reading comprehension, IQ over 140.

So yeah, this happens.

I did the same. In the very beginning I was in the top group in the class. Our classroom has a class of 25 students arranged in six groups of desks 2x3 facing each other. There was one table spare. Unofficial rule was that students in didn't groups didn't really talk to each other. Then the two class clowns in the group next to me kept pestering me and poking me with a ruler, that sort of thing. So the teacher thought "oh, obviously he wants to join their group" and shuffled me along. I get moved to their group where they constantly scribble on my books and get me into trouble for this. That doesn't work out, so the teacher ends up moving me to another group. Chinese kid keeps kicking my chair whenever I get ahead of him in maths. Parents write to the teacher and appear in person. I end up being moved to my own corner of the classroom for two years.

Despite this, I make it my goal to continue at the speed of the fastest group. That drives the teacher batty.
So I get recommended to see a psychiatrist, who of course can't find anything wrong with me.

Years later in high school, when everyone drops out of advanced Mathematics class including the teacher, I'm the only one who keeps going even without any tuition.

posted on Aug, 31 2013 @ 03:09 PM
link   
This kid is obviously suffering from an acute form of disorganized schizophrenia causing him to speak in undecipherable language and metaphor, that only makes sense to himself.

posted on Aug, 31 2013 @ 03:09 PM
link   
reply to post by NoRegretsEver

I have seen this and this young man is very lucky his mother knew they were wrong, some children of a very high intelligence don't easily mix with the normal intelligence kid's, think there games are stupid and embarrasing and the way they learn is different, instead of repetition they seen understanding so they can fit it into there mind's and make the knowledge work rather than simply repeating.
Sadly this mean's there teacher's whom usually themselves are merely repeating and not understanding can not effectively communicate with children such as this and so there intellect is starved and eventually break's down causing problems based on there childhood in later life.

The other kid's are learning about the butterfly pupae and he is explaining the multiple stage's of a rocket and fuel ratios, velocity's and how orbit work's to his teacher, sadly his teacher decides the kid is not normal and calls the other thicko the child psychologist whom then recommends special education, resulting in the potential of the child being robbed from the human race as he is then stunted.

Thank God this kid is safe from these idiot's.

Some times a kid is in preschool or nursery and they give him one of those mixes shape jigsaw's that most kid's find too easy but it shuts them up for a few minutes, this kid has never seen one before but puts the pieces together immediately so the nursery assistant get's another more complex and he does exactly the same even faster, Then the kid is sent to play with the other kids but just stands looking afraid to mix and not like them, This was me, I suffered a stunted education and am now unhappily quite thick in part due to some head injury's but few of us ever really reach our true potential and I sincerely hope this young man does so god watch over him and keep him safe.
edit on 31-8-2013 by LABTECH767 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 31 2013 @ 03:13 PM
link   
reply to post by winofiend

Out of all the members on ats i would not expect that they got to you as well. Sorry, there is nothing you can say that will make me believe pills are good for our society or our people.

It goes deeper than that though, i wont bore you with the details.

I agree some natural medicines put into pill form are good idea, but designer drugs that are made to help people cope with reality, is ironic at best.

If im taking a designer pill it better be around creepy rave chicks and loud music.....jk im glad those days are over

posted on Aug, 31 2013 @ 03:33 PM
link   
I know a parent who has a children that is 7, yes 7 years old and is on 2 anti-psychotic medications, and 3 others for so called learning disabilities. I of course no longer talk to her, as apparently she sees no problem in this, and the son started doing very inappropriate things after being on the meds.

Here are some of lets say the things that the school told her that he was doing that got him on as many medications as Charles Manson.

He wouldnt sit still in class.
He spoke out of turn.
When asked to sit in the corner, he would say no and refuse.
He chewed on his pencil. Which apparently now is a nervous disorder.

He NEVER acted like that at my house, and never acted the way that he did at home around me, which of course upset his mother. He got used to acting up for attention, or to feel woozy. This poor child will have a very hard life when he gets older.

I hope that at some point we can make these changes for these kids before its too late.

I have been known to point out that while we all fear WWlll what I fear the most is if the pharma industry runs out of drugs.

Peace, NRE.

posted on Aug, 31 2013 @ 04:27 PM
link   
It's impeccable to see stories such as this. So often are there misdiagnosis cases that can have a chance to ultimately destroy the person they've attempted to diagnose. This is eerily similar to my case; My IQ is 137 (near but not quite considered a "Genius" IQ score), was diagnosed with ADD, was placed in lower learning education programs all throughout school. However, was not taken out.

Due to my parents trust in professional advice (which is - to a degree - a forgivable lapse in judgement), I was not so lucky to be taken out of such classes. Quite the opposite actually. Being placed in lower and lower level learning, tutoring, and unrelated educational programs that were popular at the time. Such a choice has severely effected my mentality, not necessarily at a cognitive level, but pertaining to certain aspects of social nature, specifically; reliance on others, social cues, respect for our educational system/psychologists (Canada) and respect for authority.

This individual discussed in the first post is very lucky.
edit on 31/8/13 by Ghost147 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 31 2013 @ 04:52 PM
link   
reply to post by NoRegretsEver

Wow he is amazing!! Stop learning, think and see things in a unique perspective that is yours and yours alone....That is very good advice from a 14 year old!!

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join