It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

 

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

 

BREAKING NEWS : UK Government Motion Defeated , No UK military action in Syria.

page: 1
9
<<   2 >>

log in

join
share:

posted on Aug, 29 2013 @ 04:41 PM
link   
The government has just lost the vote on "intervention" in the house of commons .

news.sky.com...


MPs have rejected the Government motion on the principle of military action in Syria by just 13 votes.

The motion, calling for a strong humanitarian response which may have included military action, was defeated by 272 votes to 285 on Thursday night.

It followed rejection for a Labour amendment to the motion which called for military action to be taken only once the UN Security Council had voted in light of a report from weapons inspectors on the ground in Syria.



I didn`t expect that .


Government Motion : " A strong humanitarian response is required which may include military action. "
edit on 29-8-2013 by AthiestJesus because: (no reason given)




posted on Aug, 29 2013 @ 04:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by AthiestJesus
The government has just lost the vote on "intervention" in the house of commons .

news.sky.com...


MPs have rejected the Government motion on the principle of military action in Syria by just 13 votes.

The motion, calling for a strong humanitarian response which may have included military action, was defeated by 272 votes to 285 on Thursday night.

It followed rejection for a Labour amendment to the motion which called for military action to be taken only once the UN Security Council had voted in light of a report from weapons inspectors on the ground in Syria.



I didn`t expect that .


Fascinating. It means that for the first time in living memory the UK Government has lost control of its own foreign policy. Astonishing.



posted on Aug, 29 2013 @ 04:43 PM
link   
Um why didn't you expect it?

Do you even follow the news???????

It was predictable. Cameron cant go ahead without backing.



posted on Aug, 29 2013 @ 04:45 PM
link   
If only that would work in the US. One can only hope---no, more like wish.



posted on Aug, 29 2013 @ 04:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by FreedomEntered
Um why didn't you expect it?

Do you even follow the news???????

It was predictable. Cameron cant go ahead without backing.


Dictator Cameron usually gets what he wants , regardless of whether or not he has the backing required .
edit on 29-8-2013 by AthiestJesus because: (no reason given)



posted on Aug, 29 2013 @ 04:47 PM
link   
This is great. I guess cameron will just have to put his toys away and go ho home. not likely though, they will find another way to push it through slyly.



posted on Aug, 29 2013 @ 04:54 PM
link   
reply to post by FreedomEntered
 




It was predictable. Cameron cant go ahead without backing.


Yes he can, and he's arrogant enough to do so.
Wait until the UN investigation is complete and it reports back to the UN......and don't be surprised if the 'humanitarian' and 'responsibility to protect' joker cards get played.

But still, perhaps current politicians aren't as morally redundant as I thought and maybe Cameron will abide with Parliament's decision......in fact his initial soundbites imply that he will.

Will this threaten his position or will it in a round about way endear him slightly to the UK electorate?
I guess only time will tell.



posted on Aug, 29 2013 @ 04:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by iamhobo
If only that would work in the US. One can only hope---no, more like wish.


Makes one wonder where we went wrong that our President can just attack countries without at least a thumbs up from a majority of our elected representatives.



posted on Aug, 29 2013 @ 04:57 PM
link   
House of common sense....

I feel slightly better about our leaders, not by much, but a little.

I have a feeling it wont stop Camoron, he will find a way to get round it, but at least our country looks a little bit better in the eyes of the world.



posted on Aug, 29 2013 @ 04:59 PM
link   
This means that the UK will not be intervening in any Military action this means it comes down the US and France.



posted on Aug, 29 2013 @ 05:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by deviant300
This means that the UK will not be intervening in any Military action this means it comes down the US and France.


British should start pulling out warships and fighter jets

Sorry US we could;t be of a support but the British people have spoken.



posted on Aug, 29 2013 @ 05:03 PM
link   
i am also glad, that our leaders have chosen this course of action, if we are going to be part of a world organisation, we need to take other peoples opinions into account. wait until the world decides , not just one or two powerful countries.



posted on Aug, 29 2013 @ 05:05 PM
link   
reply to post by woogleuk
 


I don't believe he technically needs Parliaments authorisation, it was more of an effort to get fait accompli from the opposition so they couldn't use it against him.. Election time is around the corner, remember


I believe he can authorise some sort of action in certain circumstances, maybe RAF Akrotiri is on the end of a scud missile attack....Just thinking out loud.....



posted on Aug, 29 2013 @ 05:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by woogleuk
House of common sense....

I feel slightly better about our leaders, not by much, but a little.

I have a feeling it wont stop Camoron, he will find a way to get round it, but at least our country looks a little bit better in the eyes of the world.



Yup , I have the same feeling .

The tories are already banging the drum about David Cameron being responsible for handing the power to Parliament.

They were fighting each other off camera in the house of commons , Gove screaming "you`re a disgrace" to the tories that voted against the government. (sky news)



posted on Aug, 29 2013 @ 05:13 PM
link   
Well Cameron, I haven't forgotten about David Miranda yet if that's what you are trying to do.
edit on 29-8-2013 by GreyGoo because: (no reason given)



posted on Aug, 29 2013 @ 05:13 PM
link   
Hats off to the UK House of Commons...

They actually used some common sense.

You just don't see that anymore.



posted on Aug, 29 2013 @ 05:20 PM
link   

The motion, calling for a strong humanitarian response which may have included military action, was defeated by 272 votes to 285 on Thursday night.


That was a very, very narrow defeat. I wouldn't say that they're out of the game quite yet. I suspect that they'll be another round of voting within the week.



posted on Aug, 29 2013 @ 05:26 PM
link   
Now after this, if Obama attacks without congressional approval, he will be labeled a dictator/tyrant by many more people, all around the world.



posted on Aug, 29 2013 @ 05:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by AnIntellectualRedneck

The motion, calling for a strong humanitarian response which may have included military action, was defeated by 272 votes to 285 on Thursday night.


That was a very, very narrow defeat. I wouldn't say that they're out of the game quite yet. I suspect that they'll be another round of voting within the week.


No. Cameron has admitted in the House of Commons that the British people have said that they don't want involvement with military action against Syria. He could never retract his words or have another vote just to get his way. It would be political suicide for him if he did. His game is up. He stands totally humiliated and broken - all the political commentators were saying this on TV after the vote.



posted on Aug, 29 2013 @ 05:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by theconspirator
Now after this, if Obama attacks without congressional approval, he will be labeled a dictator/tyrant by many more people, all around the world.



The US doesn't have the balls to do anything alone!




top topics



 
9
<<   2 >>

log in

join