It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Make your own soda

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 29 2013 @ 04:30 PM
link   
I wasnt sure where to put this.Given soda is such a big arguement these days , and so many people are addictedto it , i figured health and wellness was a better choice.

I am a huge cola fan , and I love Coca Cola. My friends worry I drink too much of it.
I do ,but I can cut down. The true problem with coke, and all sugared drinks in the USA, is that they now contain high fructose corn syrup instead of sugar.

high fructose corn syrup is a killer. It's now in everything. Its in ketchup, pickles , candy , sweet drinks of all kinds .
high fructose corn syrup is what's causing all the health problems. Sugar, in large quantities, is not good for us, but high fructose corn syrup actually causes a lot more health problems than sugar.
it causes arteriosclerosis, fatty liver, and general inflammation within the body.

The the woman in New Zealand who died, allegedly, from drinking so much Coca Cola, died because New Zealand begin importing American Coca Cola, some years ago.They do not kmow this in NZ. No one wants us to know this here.

New Zealand coke has regular sugar. American coke has high fructose corn syrup.
New Zealand public has no idea that the old bait and switch has been pulled on them, and they tried to tell the American public it's all because of the sugar in Coke, when it was high fructose corn syrup all along.
The alleged reason for adding high fructose corn syrup to everything is because its cheaper than sugar. I personally, do not believe this.

Last year, someone who cares about me bought me a soda maker for my birthday. All the soda I drink worried them. I can tell you my liver has definitely felt the affects off to much high fructose corn syrup. This was a godsend.

now I can make seltzer anytime I feel like, and I play with the simple syrup. SodaStream also makes a series of syrups. They are all made with sugar, and no artificial colors. Some do contain artificial flavors and or aspartame. I have tried a few, but prefer to make my own .However, their ginger ale is very good.

the two main brands of soda maker are SodaStream, and Cuisinart makes a good one. Mine is a Cuisinart and do not let the price on the website deter you. We got it on sale at Bed Bath and Beyond, for $79. With coupons another 35 percent was deducted, so I got a 179 $ machine for about 45 $.
Shop around.

I use only organic demera and turbinado sugars, and even honey .I can control the sweetness , and carbonation .
I do simple syrups with citrus fruits, grapes , cherries, herbs , teas.
I buy middle eastern pomegranate syrup , and make all kinds of stuff with it .

Ive tried a few Coke recipes, and I like them just as much as the company brand name .

Check it out , even if its just for the sake of your kids drinking healthier stuff , and still making it a treat .They can even help make it .

www.sodastreamusa.com...
Sodastream

www.cuisinart.com...
Cuisinart

www.wired.co.uk...
Recipes.

There are many more on line . Experiment. I even just use orange peel and grated cinnamon .
I leave out the caffeine and coloring.

edit on 8/29/13 by PtolemyII because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 29 2013 @ 04:45 PM
link   
Well done mate, thinking for yourself and benefiting from it

About kids and soda.
My grandson, from the moment he was old enough to request a drink, has always been given plain water. With meals etc he gets plain water. This seems to have programmed him. When he's thirsty he requests water! He will refuse anything else, he will only accept water. He does get juices and organic soda, but if he's thirsty he wants water!
I think perhaps if children are taught from childhood that we drink water to relieve thirst, then maybe these soda addictions might disappear.

posted on Aug, 29 2013 @ 04:51 PM
link   
reply to post by VoidHawk

This is very true.my mom never served water in the house. I loved seltzer water, so that made soda ok .im a child of the 70s , so soda was just what we drank , with no worries.
There were no issues about it at the time. When I would play sports, I would drink Coke! So I grew up thinking it was okay.

posted on Aug, 29 2013 @ 04:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by PtolemyII
reply to post by VoidHawk

This is very true.my mom never served water in the house. I loved seltzer water, so that made soda ok .im a child of the 70s , so soda was just what we drank , with no worries.
There were no issues about it at the time. When I would play sports, I would drink Coke! So I grew up thinking it was okay.

I'm perhaps a little older than you, my childhood was the 60's, and it was just the same then. Once a week the soda lorry would visit our street and we'd all drag our mums out to buy a few bottles. But as you rightly pointed out in your op, its that corn syrup thats the real problem. I've noticed it in a few products over here in the uk just recently too

I watched a lecture by a professor who was teaching the evils of the high fructose corn syrup. If I can remember where I saw it I'll add it to this thread.

posted on Aug, 30 2013 @ 12:13 AM
link   
i wanted to say thanks
i have a soda stream here in Australia, and the variety of flavours here is low and lacklustre

your links gave me access to US flavours and recipes for my own soda stream syrups!!!

YAY!

posted on Aug, 30 2013 @ 09:05 AM
link   
reply to post by okamitengu

This is the pdf file for my soda makers manual. They included a bunch of recipes at the end.
Enjoy!

www.cuisinart.com...

posted on Aug, 30 2013 @ 09:11 AM
link   
Recipe for Ginger ale

www.formerchef.com...

Ginger Syrup for Ginger Ale
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup palm sugar
1 cup white sugar
2 cups water
4 oz peeled and sliced ginger (I started with 6-7 oz whole fresh ginger)
2 tsp cardamom pods
1 tsp whole allspice
1 tsp peppercorns
3 ea. star anise pods 

In a small pot, combine the sugars with the water and add the peeled and sliced ginger. I used the palm sugar (in the photo at the top)  because I had it, but you can also use 1 cup brown sugar and 1 cup white .Toast the whole spices in a saute pan until they just begin to brown and become fragrant. Add them to the sugar and water mixture and bring it to a simmer. Let it simmer for about 15 minutes and then turn off the heat.Allow to steep until cool. At this point you can strain it into a clean container and store it in the refrigerator. Chill.For me, 2 Tbsp of syrup with 12 oz soda water and some ice makes a very refreshing glass of ginger ale. 

posted on Aug, 30 2013 @ 09:15 AM
link   
Ah! There is even a book of soda recipes.
This article has tips and some recipes

www.epicurious.com...

posted on Aug, 30 2013 @ 09:27 AM
link   
Choose a Kool-Aid flavour.

Add brown sugar or honey.

Add club soda.

posted on Aug, 30 2013 @ 09:51 AM
link   
reply to post by luciddream

Kool Aid contains high fructose corn syrup, a ton of chemicals, artificial flavors and colorings. Using it completely defeats the purpose of making your own
edit on 8/30/13 by PtolemyII because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

join