It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

More Government incompetence or Government social security fraud?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 29 2013 @ 01:39 PM
link   
My wife received a letter the other day from the social security administration, the letter said that she owes $1071 to social security from an overpayment that was made to her.
That in itself isn`t unusual because I`m sure that mistakes are made and people are sometimes overpaid but here`s where things start gettingreally strange.
The letter stated that the overpayment was made 34 years ago. 34 years ago my wife was only 21 years old and never applied for nor received social security when she was 21 years old.

She called social security and told them that she never applied for or received social security benefits 34 years ago when she was 21 years old.She asked them what the payments were for and the person on the phone said she doesn`t know because they don`t have any records from that far back . HUH??WTF???

The women said that they have a new policy in which they are reviewing all social security accounts going back for the last 50 years.
my wife then ask her, if you don`t have the completed application form or the records of what the payments were for then why do you think I owe you any money?
The women answered by saying, you should appeal the repayment decision.

Is the social security administration really this incompetent or is the government so hard up for money that they are trying to scam people into repaying money which they don`t even owe?

i find it very difficult to believe that they don`t have records from 34 years ago which would prove that my wife never applied for social security benefits and never received any benefits 34 years ago.
i wonder how many really old people get a letter like this and just repay the money because they have bad memories and don`t remember back 50 or 60 years ago.

This is either gross incompetence or it`s a deliberate scam.

posted on Aug, 29 2013 @ 01:53 PM
link   
my guess is the government is just trying to get some money for social security. they probably don't have enough to pay the people receiving benefits.

posted on Aug, 29 2013 @ 07:39 PM
link   
reply to post by Tardacus

Is the social security administration really this incompetent or is the government so hard up for money that they are trying to scam people into repaying money which they don`t even owe?

Both. I have a friend who claims he received a notice from the IRS in the last year stating that he owed back payroll taxes on a business he shut down over 20 years ago.

posted on Sep, 3 2013 @ 06:17 AM
link   
I work with low-income, mental health patients who are all on SSI. This happens ALLLLL the time. You'd be surprised (or maybe you wouldn't) about how incompetent SSI administration is. I deal with the daily and it's by far the worse part of my job.

new topics

top topics

join