It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Stephen Harper: Canada Will NOT Join Syria Military Mission

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 29 2013 @ 12:16 PM
link   

Stephen Harper: Canada has no plans to join Syria military mission

www.torontosun.com...

OTTAWA, ONT. - Canada won't be participating in any military intervention in Syria but supports the countries who are now considering launching an attack against the troubled country, the prime minister said Thursday.

"At present the Canadian government has no plans for a Canadian military mission [to Syria]," Stephen Harper said. "Notwithstanding [Canada's] reluctance [to getting involved], the risks of not acting in the face of what appears to be [an escalating situation] appears extremely dangerous."

Harper's comments come a day after Foreign Affairs Minister John Baird told reporters Canada's role would likely be limited to a supporting one, and that the government would also lend political support to any military strikes.

...while an attack using drones and cruise missiles was being considered, Canada has neither.

Well, this goes to show that Canada will not be involved with military on Syria. This was never Canada's fight. But I am sure Canada wishes to continue it's role as a peaceful nation and will support the recovery of the innocent civilians once the "war is over"

posted on Aug, 29 2013 @ 12:20 PM
link   
Whats needed is the US allies telling them directly to back off.

Canada is doing it passively, hopefully more of NATO countries will as well.

posted on Aug, 29 2013 @ 12:22 PM
link   
Its don't come as a suprise as Canada is very much a peace keeping country what I like about Canada

posted on Aug, 29 2013 @ 12:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by benrl

As a Canadian, I completely agree. Harper should be condemning any military action until UN inspectors have had ample time to draw up a full and unbiased report.

posted on Aug, 29 2013 @ 12:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by deviant300
Its don't come as a suprise as Canada is very much a peace keeping country what I like about Canada

We are a peaceful nation....but our RCMP will not the f&*( out of you...more than our military

posted on Aug, 29 2013 @ 12:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by DeadSeraph

As a Canadian, I completely agree. Harper should be condemning any military action until UN inspectors have had ample time to draw up a full and unbiased report.

Regardless if the inspectors verify chemicals were used....Canada should still not be involved militarily.

posted on Aug, 29 2013 @ 12:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by Skywatcher2011

Originally posted by DeadSeraph

Regardless if the inspectors verify chemicals were used....Canada should still not be involved militarily.

I agree. The point is that intervention outside of a UN mandate should be categorically condemned instead of the typical Canadian response to lick the boots of U.S policy makers.

posted on Aug, 29 2013 @ 12:27 PM
link   
reply to post by Skywatcher2011

Well, I'm Canadian, and it's one of the rare times I saw Stephen actually decline this kind of association with the US. Maybe Stephen realized this isn't our fight to fight.

edit on 29-8-2013 by swanne because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 29 2013 @ 12:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by swanne

Well, I'm Canadian, and it's one of the rare times I saw Stephen actually decline this kind of association with the US. Maybe Stephen realized this isn't our fight to fight.

edit on 29-8-2013 by swanne because: (no reason given)

It is not Canada's fight! Canada wants to settle things politically and diplomatically...not to send troops and force Canadian standards in other countries....

posted on Aug, 29 2013 @ 12:31 PM
link   
He doesn't want to make us a primary target 2-5 years down the road when things start to really boil over as a result of the attacks.

At least we can manage being a secondary target.

posted on Aug, 29 2013 @ 12:34 PM
link   

Royal Canadian Mounted Police uphold the law not fight wars hey Canadians are nice people.

posted on Aug, 30 2013 @ 06:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by yourmaker
He doesn't want to make us a primary target 2-5 years down the road when things start to really boil over as a result of the attacks.

At least we can manage being a secondary target.

Good point. Does that mean Stephen is foreseeing the occurrence of a major US/mid-east war in the very near future?

Or maybe he's simply just following UK, who also voted against intervention in Syria. France and Germany will go, though.

edit on 30-8-2013 by swanne because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 30 2013 @ 07:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by swanne
Maybe Stephen realized this isn't our fight to fight.
I suppose even a broken clock is right twice a day...

posted on Aug, 30 2013 @ 01:46 PM
link   
reply to post by DeadSeraph

Didn't know Vader was Canadian.

posted on Aug, 30 2013 @ 01:47 PM
link   
Heh...I didn't know that canada even had a military.

posted on Aug, 30 2013 @ 01:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by solarstorm
Heh...I didn't know that canada even had a military.

Yeah, sure we do. They recently switched from swords to muskets.

posted on Aug, 30 2013 @ 01:56 PM
link   
I cant believe that harper actually did something good. This will be one of the few times I'll support something he did Canada does not need to invade Syria

new topics

top topics

join