It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Fast-food walkout U.S. workers strike in several cities to call attention to low wages.

page: 21
<< 18  19  20    22  23  24 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 30 2013 @ 08:34 AM
link   
reply to post by filledcup

You suck. You're human. Don't fool yourself.

But go hug unicorns at the magic rainbow. here in the real world I will continue to do fine, because my actions are intended to ensure I do fine in the real world.

posted on Aug, 30 2013 @ 08:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by bigfatfurrytexan
reply to post by beezzer

Well, disillusionment is painful but usually beneficial.

When it dawns on them that there is no "Honorable Mention" outside of welfare, it might get ugly.

You might want to do some research on how most modern empires (within the last 300 years or so) fell and what it was that caused them to fall. In each fall, it was when the poor finally had their fill of the rich's bullsh*t and took the whole circus tent down with them. And that's what will happen here too, unless someone finally catches a clue that there are tens of millions of those losers who, as each year replaces the last, see less and less of a reason to let the rest of us enjoy our leg up within this system.

The entire US military couldn't stop a relative handful of Iraqi "dead-enders" from tearing just Baghdad apart, so there's no way in hell that it could ever prevent the tens of millions of poor and disfranchised within this society from literally consuming everything that you've ever known and become comfortable with about the American life that you live. In one week, they could easily eliminate your job forever, eliminate the entire food supply infrastructure, crash the entire banking system, and take out every aspect of life as you've come to know it. Within one week.

And what is it that prevents it from happening? Just one thing. The belief that there's a way out of being on the complete bottom of the pig pile. That there really is a possible way to rise to the middle class, or even the working class. In recent years, the new-money rich idiots have taken center stage, and these jack*sses will never understand what the old-money rich have always known - that you don't piss down the backs of everyone else and tell them that it's raining. Those "other" folks can tell the difference, and they control what American ultimately looks like. The old-money rich are bracing for the holocaust. They know that the new-money rich are driving this whole structure into the ground, and that it's only a matter of time before the poor and newly-poor decide that they've had enough and it's not worth maintaining what they don't have any access to anymore.

Nothing is supposed to survive. It survives if the people who've built it are smart enough, careful enough, and care enough, to work to make sure it survives. If not, then everyone gets to be poor. And if that happens, the already poor know how to survive being poor a lot better than the once-successful people do. In the end, they'll be the ones who rule what's left.

posted on Aug, 30 2013 @ 08:40 AM
link   
reply to post by NorEaster

NorEaster, actually I enjoyed very much owning my own business and treated my employees with more respect than most. Your accusations towards me tend to make me think you have no clue about business and how it is run. The constant taxing of businesses and a higher than Fed mandated minimum wage helped put me out of business.My costs kept rising and the needed increase in the cost of my goods and services put me out of business. The higher operating costs could not be borne by the customers. Econ101 my friend. In fact my employees brought home more money per year than I did. I had no healthcare for my family as I needed to cut that out before I laid off employees.
So all of you people out there who say business owners are bad people and care not about their employees know absolutely nothing about what it takes and how the juggling act is performed.
Lucky for me as I had to shut the doors, I got my old job back. By the way, I had the skills necessary to go back after 8 years to my old job at a better wage than I left with. Notice I said skills. Otherwise I would be stuck in a minimum wage job instead of running a major IT development project for a global IT company. By the way, only a HS diploma here, some college, but a desire to succeed, sought out and have the skills necessary to make my way thru life so far. It could all come crumbling down at anytime, but hey that's life. Where there is a will there is a way. Success comes thru hard work, dedication, loyalty and the desire for something better. Just wanting someone to provide for you while you put the minimum required effort of life is a lazy excuse for a human and they deserve to be stuck with a minimum wage job. Opportunities normally are abundant. One must be resourceful and a go-getter. Am so sick of you whiners who want great rewards for just showing up.

posted on Aug, 30 2013 @ 08:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by bigfatfurrytexan

You suck. You're human. Don't fool yourself.

But go hug unicorns at the magic rainbow. here in the real world I will continue to do fine, because my actions are intended to ensure I do fine in the real world.

yes.. u are doing fine.. but ur own view of yourself is that "you suck"

i think that speaks for itself. i do not have to share ur view of myself. no especially when the choices i make dont leave me with a sense of guilt. and that's the only reason.. even admitted by you, why you believe u suck. ur own admitted guilt.
edit on 30-8-2013 by filledcup because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 30 2013 @ 08:52 AM
link   
reply to post by beezzer

As an engineer he's lucky to still have a job in the US.

posted on Aug, 30 2013 @ 09:00 AM
link   

That doesn't mean you didn't harm another. It means you may not have known it, or that you didn't care.

Let me put you up on Sowell's "Constrained World View." It pretty accurately describes humans including yourself.

Sowell's tragic (or constrained) vision of man and society is based on the acceptance of the realities of the human condition – we are all limited by independent realities which we ignore to our own detriment. According to Sowell's vision: 1) Human nature is essentially unchanging and unchangeable – there have been no great changes in the fundamental intellectual and moral capacities of human beings; 2) Human capabilities are severely and inherently bounded for all – man is sharply restricted in his capacity for improvement and has only a very limited ability to affect his surroundings; 3) Life is inherently harsh and difficult – suffering and evil are inherent in the innate deficiencies of human beings; 4) Man is basically self-centered; however, things can be improved within that constraint by primarily relying on incentives (rewards and punishments) rather than on dispositions; 5) Resources are always inadequate to fulfill all of the desires of all of the people; 6) Social outcomes are a function of incentives presented to individuals and the conditions under which they interact in response to those incentives; 7) Given the moral limitations of man and his egocentricity, the fundamental moral challenge is to make the best of the possibilities within the constraints of man's nature; 8) There are no solutions, only trade-offs that leave many desires unfulfilled and much unhappiness in the world; 9) It is imperative to have the right processes for making trade-offs and correcting inevitable errors; and 10) It is better to cope incrementally with tragic dilemmas than to proceed categorically with moral imperatives. . .

Man is an animal, he has the ability to at times be more, but he is still an animal. As such we all occasionally do things that are animalistic. That means that while they benefit us they suck for somebody else. It could actually be argued that the fact that a single person is alive makes another person's life suck because the first person is taking up resources the second could be using to live a more fulfilled life.

Don't delude yourself in to thinking you are some how the embodiment of perfection.

posted on Aug, 30 2013 @ 09:02 AM
link   
It's just like wal-mart doing everything it can to keep from paying it's workers more. Walmart will put out of a city before paying employee's a liveable wage. I would love for people who say fast food workers don't deserve better pay do the job for 3 months and see if you still think that.

posted on Aug, 30 2013 @ 09:04 AM
link   
Why not at the end of the day just ask the manager if you can take the excess food home that normally gets thrown out. In most cases they'd let you. So you take it home and freeze it. That takes care of the food bill for the family. A huge savings. Just eat fast food non stop 24/7/365! Now that's what I call a postive lifestyle choice that will save you time, money, and have you eating good everyday!

posted on Aug, 30 2013 @ 09:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by vtcajun
reply to post by NorEaster

NorEaster, actually I enjoyed very much owning my own business and treated my employees with more respect than most. Your accusations towards me tend to make me think you have no clue about business and how it is run. The constant taxing of businesses and a higher than Fed mandated minimum wage helped put me out of business.My costs kept rising and the needed increase in the cost of my goods and services put me out of business. The higher operating costs could not be borne by the customers. Econ101 my friend. In fact my employees brought home more money per year than I did. I had no healthcare for my family as I needed to cut that out before I laid off employees.
So all of you people out there who say business owners are bad people and care not about their employees know absolutely nothing about what it takes and how the juggling act is performed.

I never said that business people are inherently bad. What I said was that if you can't successfully own and run a business without being bad to or not treating your employees fairly, then you're probably not cut out to be a business owner. I think your own story backs me up on that. I'm sorry that your business failed, but maybe it wasn't the fault of the federal govt, or your employees, or anyone's fault at all. Maybe it was just that you weren't cut out to take that specific business and make it successful.

I didn't win at being a rock star, even though I did everything that I was supposed to do right. Not everyone is capable of making every cut that they work hard to make, and it's just that simple. I hate that I failed, but I don't blame anyone else for my having failed. I failed because I didn't have, or figure out how to get, that extra that makes the difference between failure and ultimate success. Hell, if everyone succeeded, then success wouldn't mean anything at all.

Lucky for me as I had to shut the doors, I got my old job back. By the way, I had the skills necessary to go back after 8 years to my old job at a better wage than I left with. Notice I said skills. Otherwise I would be stuck in a minimum wage job instead of running a major IT development project for a global IT company. By the way, only a HS diploma here, some college, but a desire to succeed, sought out and have the skills necessary to make my way thru life so far. It could all come crumbling down at anytime, but hey that's life.

That's certainly something to be proud of, and you should be proud of being able to bounce right back and be successful as a large project manager. In many ways, that's much more difficult a task than running most businesses. It's a different type of task, and one that requires a different set of skills, but certainly not less of an accomplishment. Good for you.

Where there is a will there is a way. Success comes thru hard work, dedication, loyalty and the desire for something better. Just wanting someone to provide for you while you put the minimum required effort of life is a lazy excuse for a human and they deserve to be stuck with a minimum wage job. Opportunities normally are abundant. One must be resourceful and a go-getter. Am so sick of you whiners who want great rewards for just showing up.

I've written 5 books (2 novels, 1 memoir, and 2 non-fiction), gotten two of them published (so far) and become a bit of an expert on Theories of Everything as they relate to physics and cosmology since I failed at my 25 year music career. I make no money right now, but that doesn't stop me from putting in at least 10 hours a day. It just stops me from being able to buy clothes when my old ones have started rotting off me.

In November of 2011, I suffered a devastating cervical spine infection that required surgery that removed the outer half of 8 inches of my spinal column. So much for temp jobs and any 1099 contract work for local businesses, since I'm deemed an unacceptable Workman's Comp risk. So far, nothing from SSDI or any state assistance, but I'm still writing and still researching and still stubborn in my belief that I can work my way out of this poverty.

Not all of us losers are lazy and unmotivated. Some of us are just "victims of circumstance". My case isn't unique at all, so keep that in mind. When you broad brush society's failures as being lazy or unmotivated, you're doing worse that someone who broad brushes all successful people as psychopathic predators. That's because the successful people have plenty of resources to protect themselves against those who'd marginalize them. The failures don't have those resources and are much more easily victimized by those who'd marginalize them for the sin of being a failure. The ramifications, for them, are much more profound and dire.
edit on 8/30/2013 by NorEaster because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 30 2013 @ 09:06 AM
link   
reply to post by MikeNice81

i do not have to be the embodiment of perfection. but i have the knowledge, intellect and power to strive for it. as many will point out. there is always room for improvement. we arent animals in the jungle. we are above them. we are smarter. we do not have to live like them. accepting the view of the wild known as survival of the fittest is to make an excuse for not improving oneself.

just because someone who you consider to be smart tells you who and what you are doesnt make them correct. like i said.. it's a brainwashing u are suffering from. someone put it to you that you are garbage and you accept that.

me.. no thanks. u consider yourself garbage if u want.

my view of you is that you are a human being capable of great potential to do infinite good. call it naive. but the potential is there. the question is whether you strive for it. or live a life of neglect for building upon ur internal self and not just your external bank account.

posted on Aug, 30 2013 @ 09:07 AM
link   
I don't imagine this is congruent to many of my other posted opinions on such issues, but just raising minimum wage won't fix much of anything, and business as usual won't either.

There has to be a sea change if no one can agree on anything, which is the case. A moderating authority must step in to come up with a solution to benefit as many of the parties in conflict as possible.

Some will come out ahead, some will lose, but there has to be a better way than the way we do business now. Everything that can be done to eliminate those pesky, unreliable human factors is already being done, and will continue to be done. Employers will implement wonderful technologies to eliminate those damned toil and sweat jobs with machination / automation / software, and eliminate those jobs for the people who are trying to scrape by still and earn a living. So what is the real problem here?.

The real problem here is the monetary system, fees for services by banks which amount to little more than a keystroke, taxation by local and federal authorities for what amounts to nothing more than lining the pockets of those in positions of authority and money to waste on meaningless projects that only really benefit those who don't need any more than they already have.

I could go on for many pages, but a I stated, A Sea Change is needed, everything must change a little bit to benefit as many as possible. Unfortunately not everyone can benefit only because some people just cannot be satisfied.

To Promote the General Welfare is a good place to start as it is written in the preamble of The Constitution of the United States, along with the rest of the mission statement.

AND I AM NOT TALKING ABOUT WELFARE as the term is generally believed by many to mean, I am talking about opportunity being available to those who would take advantage of it without being unfairly exploited as the current system allows.

Corporations are not people, and should have no rights as such, they were not allowed in the U.S. until 1819 for very good reason, and should be sent on their way again as during the revolutionary war.

History repeats itself.

posted on Aug, 30 2013 @ 09:10 AM
link   
I know lots of people that started work at fast food places in their teens including myself, if you are still there at 20, you have a problem. As soon as I graduated high school I moved on, as do most. To either a better job or schooling of some type. Those places are for you to get something on your resume and get some good references.
If you choose to make a career of it in management that is different.
edit on 30-8-2013 by Blue_Jay33 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 30 2013 @ 09:12 AM
link   
The question I'd like to know is is fast food actually real food? Or is it all made of MSG saw dust?

posted on Aug, 30 2013 @ 09:15 AM
link   
reply to post by spartacus699

Fast food, as with most food at any restaurant is pretty much garbage.

I have worked at places like burger king, all the way to high end hotels, all crap.

posted on Aug, 30 2013 @ 09:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by doobydoll

Originally posted by FlyersFan

Originally posted by SearchLightsInc
Economics 101 - Paying your workers below the poverty line because they are less than human and deserve nothing out of life, no matter how hard they work. Oh wait, that's just greed

Economics 101 - Paying your workers what the position is worth because it's an entry level job that isn't intended to support a family. Oh wait, that makes sense.
Seriously people ... go take an economics course. Paying a burger flipper the same as a degree'd chemist will set off a chain of inflation and will do the burger flipper no good. Instead, the burger flipper needs to learn new skills and/or get an education to raise him/her self out of the entry level job. Handing him money he hasn't earned in an entry level position will just teach him that he can get money that he doesn't deserve and that he doesn't have to work for a better job.

In your opinion they don't deserve a pay rise. In their opinion they do.
In your opinion the job isn't worth more. In their opinion it is.
I'll believe them because they're the ones doing the job, not me.

They're also probably of the opinion that you don't deserve the pay you get and that your job is overpaid. You opinion will be opposite. I'll believe you because you're the one doing the job, not me.

Opinions.

The fact is, all employees are important to the smooth running of any company - this is the only reason a company employs anyone, because there's a job that NEEDS to be done. If minimum wage earners were so unimportant to a company and not really needed, they wouldn't be hired at all.

This is what all minimum pay workers need to remember - they need to realise their company hires them because it NEEDS them, and not because it's doing them some half-arsed favour.

you make it sound like these minimum wage workers are slaves of some sort. That fact is, there job there doing is a contract between themselfs and there employer. The contract is, you work X amount of hours and produce X amount of product and ill pay you X amount of dollars. The employee doesn’t have to agree to these terms. They can walk away from the job offer and try somewhere else. Its a contract.

posted on Aug, 30 2013 @ 09:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by MyHappyDogShiner
reply to post by spartacus699

Fast food, as with most food at any restaurant is pretty much garbage.

I have worked at places like burger king, all the way to high end hotels, all crap.

u can thank capitalism(cronyism) and companies cutting cost to improve profit margins at the expense of flesh and blood living beings for that.

i just ate some of my home made italian made from scratch. choc full of organic thai veggies and coconut water to wash it down. eating it felt so good it could be a cure for aids.. lol. and it even cost less per serving than fast food. ppl need to start cooking at home more.

posted on Aug, 30 2013 @ 09:22 AM
link   
reply to post by camaro68ss

They are slaves of a sort, there is this thing called peonage which is illegal in this country. The new term is "Debt Peonage", where one can work their entire life and be stuck paying off loans they had to take out to buy what they NEEDED to survive. A lot of people in this country enjoy a form of servitude somehow, never realizing they are held in one place for no good reason other than their own ignorance of how the system actually works.

posted on Aug, 30 2013 @ 09:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by filledcup
reply to post by MikeNice81

i do not have to be the embodiment of perfection. but i have the knowledge, intellect and power to strive for it. as many will point out. there is always room for improvement. we arent animals in the jungle. we are above them. we are smarter. we do not have to live like them. accepting the view of the wild known as survival of the fittest is to make an excuse for not improving oneself.

just because someone who you consider to be smart tells you who and what you are doesnt make them correct. like i said.. it's a brainwashing u are suffering from. someone put it to you that you are garbage and you accept that.

me.. no thanks. u consider yourself garbage if u want.

my view of you is that you are a human being capable of great potential to do infinite good. call it naive. but the potential is there. the question is whether you strive for it. or live a life of neglect for building upon ur internal self and not just your external bank account.

Actually I never said I was garbage, good play on that one. I have taken time to study Buddhism, Tao, and many of the other religions that the new-age movement tries to co-opt. I understand the search for the one true way which is no way. I understand the striving for becoming one with all and realizing that all is one and that the same energy resonates in all things at all times.

However, I realize that we are also human and therefore limited by the mind and the senses. We are limited by our animal nature. Even OSHO would admit to that. Even Socrates admitted to it. No man can obtain perfection for the very nature of his being limits him. If you do manage to reach enlightenment, you still have human needs. You still must eat and drink. That means you take resources that could go to another. In return you are damaging another's life by taking from the resources available to them.

Your problem is that your ego is too involved. You believe in your own perfection and judge others for not accepting that your view is perfect. That in itself tells me that you have not reached enlightenment. For a truly enlightened master would tell you, all paths are different and not all truths are the same for all people.

We have the ability to rise above our animal nature,but at heart we are all animals and will indulge the wilds within. It is not something that can be escaped and by repressing it you cause it to surface elsewhere in a more violent or perverted form. We can attempt to channel or direct the impulses, but to suppress them completely leads to our own destruction.

I suggest you enhance your search before believing you even have an understanding of yourself, much less me. I make no claims of being enlightened, but I do claim to have a knowledge and understanding. I spend a great deal of time working on my internal state. So, I have knowledge of who I am and how my existence effects others. I work to minimize the negative affects that it has, but I realize that no one escapes without do some harm intentionally or not.
edit on 30-8-2013 by MikeNice81 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 30 2013 @ 09:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by MyHappyDogShiner
reply to post by camaro68ss

They are slaves of a sort, there is this thing called peonage which is illegal in this country. The new term is "Debt Peonage", where one can work their entire life and be stuck paying off loans they had to take out to buy what they NEEDED to survive. A lot of people in this country enjoy a form of servitude somehow, never realizing they are held in one place for no good reason other than their own ignorance of how the system actually works.

slaves by there own ignorance i would say. you cant help those that are to lazy to help themself. Yes there are always Exemption’s and circumstances

posted on Aug, 30 2013 @ 09:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by spartacus699
Why not at the end of the day just ask the manager if you can take the excess food home that normally gets thrown out. In most cases they'd let you. So you take it home and freeze it. That takes care of the food bill for the family. A huge savings. Just eat fast food non stop 24/7/365! Now that's what I call a postive lifestyle choice that will save you time, money, and have you eating good everyday!

I used to work at Dominos.

At the end of the shift there would sometimes be pizza's which had been sent back for one reason or another. There was nothing wrong with them, just missing an ingredient a customer ordered and things like that. But the store manager was instructed by the franchisee to throw them in the bin and no-one was to take any home.

So in the bin they went

new topics

top topics

<< 18  19  20    22  23  24 >>

join