It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Fast-food walkout U.S. workers strike in several cities to call attention to low wages.

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:
+2 more 
posted on Aug, 29 2013 @ 12:24 PM
link   
reply to post by Beartracker16

They all Have my Support!

as inflation rises and the value of the dollar goes down.. everything gets more expensive but salaries stay the same.

thisll teach those who think that these are lower forms of employment and not careers.. when u go to mc donalds and there is noone there to serve u.. then u will know just how important each aspect of society is.

posted on Aug, 29 2013 @ 12:24 PM
link   
Actually this is a good idea..Raise the pay to a reasonable amount but also have higher standards as to whom you are hiring. If you are pissed that the fast food restaurant you are working at isn't paying enough then go out and find a new job . I can think of multiple jobs that pay well over 10$ that almost anyone could get, but they require you to do # loads of manual labor. If you aren't willing to put your shoulder to the wheel then you don't deserve to be paid as such. I agree that minimum wage is a joke, but if you aren't a teenager and you are working at mc d's or one of the other places then it is most likely your fault. If you are one of the people who have no other options for places to work then you most likely live in an area where you can live for alot less.

posted on Aug, 29 2013 @ 12:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by filledcup
reply to post by Beartracker16

thisll teach those who think that these are lower forms of employment and not careers.. when u go to mc donalds and there is noone there to serve u.. then u will know just how important each aspect of society is.

If there is no one working at Mickey D's, then there is no Mickey D's.

And just how important to society is serving a Big Mac?

posted on Aug, 29 2013 @ 12:30 PM
link   
Yes it should be a starter position, not a career, i agree

But if there is no job available, than i think one is happy to flip burgers untill they find better.

posted on Aug, 29 2013 @ 12:34 PM
link   
It builds your soul and your mind to do hard jobs for a small amount of money. Entry level jobs, and especially fast food jobs are not intended for adults with families, but rather kids in school, living at home, learning what work is and more importantly what work ethic is. As their skills increase so does their value in the employee marketplace.
I notice more and more adults playing the role of drive-thru attendant these days, but they knew when they accepted the job that it is a low-pay, no incentive type of position that is simply generating some income. I personally think it is BS to hold an employer's business ransom and take what you "think" you are owed at gunpoint.
I hope some of these employers have the cajones to just fire every person who took part in this debacle, head down to the local high school with a fistful of applications and tailgate jobfair.

posted on Aug, 29 2013 @ 12:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by Beartracker16

McDonald's say wages are not controlled by corporate policy but by the franchise owners.

Yeah, and if you want you're own franchise,

Step right up folks we're handing 'em out for free- special while supplies last!!!

terms subject to change as regarding such a message reaches the consumer-base

+1 more 
posted on Aug, 29 2013 @ 12:35 PM
link   
Oh dear.

I wonder how much business these strikes are costing McD's.

The sooner McD's increases wages the sooner their staff can all get back to work and earning their living, for a change.

So what if it's not a career job? Quote me the law where it states minimum pay jobs are only meant to be pocket-money jobs and it's illegal for workers to stay in them for long. Where is the law stating it's illegal to work with no ambition in life?

Not everyone on the planet wants a career job, it shouldn't mean they don't deserve a wage they can live on.

You all want people to do something about earning more? Well now they're doing something - and not for just themselves as individuals either, but for all minimum wage earners.

And good luck to them I say. I hope others follow suit and show their tight-arse bosses that without minimum-pay workers, their businesses will grind to an abrupt halt and then they too might join the ranks of the poor

+14 more 
posted on Aug, 29 2013 @ 12:39 PM
link   
Many people work fast food and I have respect for ANYONE be it a teen or a senior or a mom on a night shift or a dad to be who HAS and keeps a job, no matter it fast food or not.

Do some of you realize that people grew up poor? They could not afford college so where is their oppurtunity to be had, no better jobs coming their way. so they take what they can get, no matter the ridicule, or how hard it is to make a living they keep on working because they have no choice but to.

For all of you who hate and despise fastfood workers I suggest you try it for a time. These people might have what appear to be a very easy job.....flipping burgers, taking money but what they deal with is people like most of you here. They get treated like crap by 8 out of 10 customers, they get beat down daily and many continue to take it because they need a job any job.

In the real world not everyone was able to afford college. This is a viscious cycle these people go through never being able to get ahead, so their children are never able to get ahead and so on. They deserve a more livable wage and they deserve respect for serving up your meal.

I hope they get what they are asking for.

posted on Aug, 29 2013 @ 12:39 PM
link   
reply to post by camaro68ss

Not just that but it forces all other jobs to pay more. Why would a teenager work at Best Buy for $7.75 when he could go to McDonalds and make $15. Soon every lower end job goes up. Then you're looking at everything in the economy being more expensive. Places like Stein Mart and Radio Shack that are on shaky ground might very well disappear. You could see the end of several smaller companies and a lot of mom and pop stores.

One of the overlooked effects is that it usually screws the younger workers. They tend to be less experienced and less dependable. So, the managers hire older workers. The result of this is that you end up with a generation of people that have little or no significant work experience when they become young adults. So, they find it even harder to get a job. Even with all of their pretty papers from pretty universities they still end up in a disadvantaged position.

posted on Aug, 29 2013 @ 12:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by doobydoll

Not everyone on the planet wants a career job, it shouldn't mean they don't deserve a wage they can live on.

I guess thats the Difference between the UK and USA. Here you don’t deserve anything. You must work for it, no handouts. The country was founded on the pursuit of happiness. Not the handout of happiness.

Why do you deserve anything? just because your born?

posted on Aug, 29 2013 @ 12:41 PM
link   
284,000 college grads making minimum wage. While I agree that 15 is to much I also know 7.50/85 is to little.
At this time in our country there are groups complaining about unemployment figures and say people should take any job that they can yet for some if they did that it would mean not making enough to pay for necessities. It is a catch 22 many would rather be working but not at the expense of not being ale to feed their family.

Either raise min wage or change the system to where benefits such as unemployment make up the difference maybe even a little more for incentive to be working instead of collecting. Obviously the system now does not work so something needs to change.

Saying labor jobs pay better is not entirely true. I was doing roofing in Florida for just over minimum wage when I was younger. I have several friends that have had the same or similar experience and in todays market I imagine it is probably worse.

money.msn.com...

posted on Aug, 29 2013 @ 12:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by camaro68ss
Do all those idiots protesting understand once there wages increase, the price of good and services increase as well voiding the “new” economic advantage they were trying to obtain? I guess not, that’s why there working at McDonald’s.

Exactly. Economics 101.

If they want more money, then they should get an education or a skill that can pay more.
Uneducated/unskilled jobs like flipping burgers at McDonalds don't deserve a 'living wage'.
Those jobs aren't supposed to be there to support a family on.

posted on Aug, 29 2013 @ 12:42 PM
link   
Here is another dose of reality,

McDonalds as most fast food chains are SMALL BUSINESS owners.

They are Franchise operators.

The people,the evil corporations, their suppliers ALL GET PAID FIRST.

The owner is the last to get paid.

Geez Almighty the endless corporate vilification going around these days is utterly nonsensical.

Those people aren't sticking it to the corporation. They are sticking it to the franchise operator.

+3 more 
posted on Aug, 29 2013 @ 12:43 PM
link   
Isn't the average age of a current fast food employee well above the "teenage" kid stereotype that is constantly portrayed? I know countless college age kids who work fast food as a night job so they can go to school during the day, i know countless adults who work fast food as a night job while they're husband/wife works a day job somewhere else. I know plenty of people with college degrees who work fast food because it was the only place hiring at the time and it was still one of the few places where you can be guaranteed to work because it is guaranteed they won't be moving these jobs overseas anytime soon.

Everyone wants to bag on the 'servant' class in our society for not being smart enough to make a decent wage that exists above the poverty line but no one seems to want to address the double standard that exists within that very class. Many major corporations rely on people at this skill level to fuel their businesses growth and ensure its profits, from Walmart to Mcdonald's to Coca Cola all of these businesses rely on under educated workers to keep them going. Tedious arguments like this and the constant reaffirmation of the stereo types surrounding the poor is simply another tool to keep everyone divided.

posted on Aug, 29 2013 @ 12:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by brandiwine14
Do some of you realize that people grew up poor? They could not afford college ....

1 - Just because someone 'grew up poor' doesn't mean that they deserve a free handout for flipping burgers.

2 - They couldn't afford college? Neither could I. So I joined the military and got to go to college FOR FREE. That's right. The military gave me a job ... gave me job skills ... gave me clothes and food and a roof over my head .. and a FREE COLLEGE EDUCATION.

It's all right there for the taking.
For a young adult to say that they can't do anything better than flipping burgers .. that's just lazy.

posted on Aug, 29 2013 @ 12:45 PM
link   
reply to post by doobydoll

People who run a successful business will rarely end up being poor because their employees were idiots who basically fired themselves. They'll just get out while ahead and start another business. It's been this way throughout history.

And for every protester, there are plenty of others who will gladly take that job.

posted on Aug, 29 2013 @ 12:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by brandiwine14
Many people work fast food and I have respect for ANYONE be it a teen or a senior or a mom on a night shift or a dad to be who HAS and keeps a job, no matter it fast food or not.

Do some of you realize that people grew up poor? They could not afford college so where is their oppurtunity to be had, no better jobs coming their way. so they take what they can get, no matter the ridicule, or how hard it is to make a living they keep on working because they have no choice but to.

For all of you who hate and despise fastfood workers I suggest you try it for a time. These people might have what appear to be a very easy job.....flipping burgers, taking money but what they deal with is people like most of you here. They get treated like crap by 8 out of 10 customers, they get beat down daily and many continue to take it because they need a job any job.

In the real world not everyone was able to afford college. This is a viscious cycle these people go through never being able to get ahead, so their children are never able to get ahead and so on. They deserve a more livable wage and they deserve respect for serving up your meal.

I hope they get what they are asking for.

Collage doesn’t guarantee you anything. I dropped out of college. I found I could learn everything on my own for free. Im now 27 with my own house with no debt opposed to all my friends that now have large college debts, no jobs, and still live with mommy and daddy. College is a joke now a days.

posted on Aug, 29 2013 @ 12:46 PM
link   

So we have people who 'don't want a career job' ... but we should hand them a career salary anyways? Even when they aren't willing to work for it ?? Yeah, right. If they don't want a career job .. and they don't want to go to school to get an education or learn a trade .. then they really don't want that living wage .. what they really want is free money that they dont' have to earn.

posted on Aug, 29 2013 @ 12:47 PM
link   
reply to post by FlyersFan

And soon there will be posters who say you have sold your soul to become a corporate murderer in 3...2...1...

But I guess I did too, as I followed the same footsteps.

+3 more 
posted on Aug, 29 2013 @ 12:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by camaro68ss

I guess thats the Difference between the UK and USA. Here you don’t deserve anything. You must work for it, no handouts. The country was founded on the pursuit of happiness. Not the handout of happiness.

Why do you deserve anything? just because your born?

Tell me, how is working for what little you get in wages, a 'hand-out'?

I'm curious, that's all.

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join