It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Fast-food walkout U.S. workers strike in several cities to call attention to low wages.

page: 18
<< 15  16  17    19  20  21 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 29 2013 @ 10:15 PM
link   
reply to post by LightOrange

Disney land, its were some of them grew up in it seems. I would not bother we all live in alternate dimensions in our heads anyways.
What exactly would you have in common with people like that anyways?

posted on Aug, 29 2013 @ 10:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by bigfatfurrytexan

I make myself "high in demand" by knowing how to run a business. I take whichever job is available when I am looking and go from there.

It is my skills that are in demand, not the job I do. The job I do is just an extension of how I actualize those skills.

People deserve the wage that they work to earn. If someone puts more effort into positioning themselves for a higher wage, then great. They have done the work.

Meanwhile, if someone just stands behind the counter at Chipotle bitching about their lack of pay and no executive bathroom key, then they will reap what they sow.

I didn't go to college. I worked my ass off. I earned what I have with hard work. Why should I not expect the same from others? Or should they get a free ride for the hell of it?

In the real world there are no "Participant" ribbons.

It worked for you.

In your life.

In the age that you were a part of.

Not everyone is so lucky.

At one point I was living off of welfare checks, working part-time and seasonal unde-the-table jobs and feeding my kids powdered milk. I'm not really sure what I could've done otherwise at that point of my life to get things done.

Guess what? Now I probably pay more taxes than you, earn more than you, and sit on my ass doing practically nothing all day. Because I worked for it, too. Not everyone is afforded these same opportunities, though.

Show some humility and be damned grateful every day that things panned out nicely for you. Not everyone has that luxury. You sound like a child touting your success as if its a standard to live by and anyone not doing so is a freeloader. Get the hell over yourself. You are nothing significant in this world in comparison to any other person.

posted on Aug, 29 2013 @ 10:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by filledcup
business leadership 101? u mean the same business leadership idealism that was forged from the days of slavery?

Why, no. I don't.

right.. let me tell u. your point of view is old out-fashioned and outdated traditional viewpoint. and that's why the world is where it is today. u guys want to stick to tradition.. but noone's having it.. not anymore.

You are making stuff up. Plain and simple. You don't really know how traditional or untraditional I am in my viewpoints. Moreover, I don't think you could identify truly "traditional" business practices if it leaped from around the corner and smacked you in the face. I am estimating that you have zero days experience as a business leader of any sort.

uve missed the entire purpose of the business cycle. like i said earlier. pay ppl more and they spend more, and that is the point of a thriving national economy.

No, i didn't miss it. That very principle is why I said that from a business standpoint, paying people doesn't yield better results. Because they just spend more, and end up with greater amounts of debt because they are dumb enough to keep taking on more credit purchases.

if u really want an economy to thrive.. that is what u will do. otherwise, ur going to face these upsets every time the cycle comes around.. and each time it's going to get worse. to the point where everyone is so afraid by spiralling crime, that the military has to be patrolling the streets in tanks and directing traffic with bazookas.

oh look.. that's just what's happening now isnt it.

edit on 29-8-2013 by filledcup because: (no reason given)

Jesus Christ, the hyperbole in this one is strong.

edit on 29-8-2013 by bigfatfurrytexan because: (no reason given)

of course i do know. u fit perfectly into a stereotype of ppl who say the exact same thing when certain questions are raised. no new ideas. it's like ur clones or something.. indoctrinated hard and cant get out. ur trapped in the matrix and agent smith takes ur body anytime he dies somewhere else to try and fight neo

lmao #pleasesaysomethingwehaventheardbefore

posted on Aug, 29 2013 @ 10:26 PM
link   

Nope. You end up with less than 20% of your store's profits, you pay for the building and all of the supplies but legally own none of them, you're responsible for employee wages, saftey compliancy, any repairs or servicing needed on machinery or equipment... it's ludicrous.

Being a franchisee for these giant publically-owned corporation is essentially taking more than a million dollars out of your pocket to give them your permission to be their slave for the next 40 years just to pay off your initial investment. And at the end of it, you essentially own nothing.

Well at least you get it...But your wrong, you get something out of it. You get to be one step above the workers, you know the unwashed uneducated masses just bellow the franchise operators. But in this world nobody gets out alive, all of you will be back here eventually anyways, over and over again. Its how this whole over all machine operates. Its just mirrored on the lower fractals, as above and so bellow. This world is one bizarre soul trap I have ever encountered. But I think I have been here before. And the fun has just begun.

What is energy and how is it created among humans? When the whole of human society is creating energy generally today known as $ for some other group of humans above them. Well! what and were is it ultimately all going? Because energy is energy on many levels. But the answer is you end up with nothing at the end of your life, nobody gets out alive. Yet its a self repeating cycle, a machine, a generator of probabilities, a perpetual energy machine.

posted on Aug, 29 2013 @ 10:30 PM
link   

That is not what is being said.

People are a product of their decisions. Its as simple as that.

Yes, you make more than me and get to sit on your ass. That is the benefit of you finding the right way to go about doing it. And I don't begrudge you that one bit. In the same way that the classist whining I see on here should not happen.

The real kicker is that I define success not by the money I get (which is piss poor by anyones standards, especially when you calc it by the hour) but rather by the work I get to do.

posted on Aug, 29 2013 @ 10:33 PM
link   
reply to post by filledcup

Your use of hashtags is morose. Really.

If you look on the other side of the glass, we seem like "clones" because there is a tried and true methodology. And it has nothing to do with slave trades or any such foolish nonsense.

THe system is the way it is. It won't change any time soon. And if it does, it will be replaced by a similarly corrupt one. So learn to use this system to benefit you....because its all you got.

A good first step at being taken seriously here is to stop using text speak. Talk like a grown up....because what you are doing is against T&C.

posted on Aug, 29 2013 @ 10:37 PM
link   
reply to post by David9176

Every single one of us who has a job is completely reliant on the wages of everyone else who is consumer. It's better to have millions of customers with more money than 5 guys with 50 billion dollars. 5 guys aren't going to buy a million pairs of shoes, magazines, etc.

Yes exactly they are parasitic. They are useless, a blood cloth in the moving veins of the body. In time they may have to be gotten rid of. There not doing there job basically. I mean by then other options may be available, but if not definable need to get rid of them, and this system for things to move forward. We could go the old class warfare route but why bother and its been done before. They are not producing, becoming cancerous even by there own definitions.

Right now everything is in a downward spiral, or stagnant, at best.

Seems to be in status, static and could go either way or any which way. Not quite stagnant, but stagnating.

posted on Aug, 29 2013 @ 10:37 PM
link   

That is not what is being said.

People are a product of their decisions. Its as simple as that.

Yes, you make more than me and get to sit on your ass. That is the benefit of you finding the right way to go about doing it. And I don't begrudge you that one bit. In the same way that the classist whining I see on here should not happen.

The real kicker is that I define success not by the money I get (which is piss poor by anyones standards, especially when you calc it by the hour) but rather by the work I get to do.

I take it it's not a career in Art.

A career that many extremely talented people can't monetize with.

A lot of them end up working at a place like McDonalds and do small art projects on the side when they can get the work. If they can't make it slaving out for a corporation that turns $1.26 Billion per quarter, then that corporation should feel a rather strong obligation to compensate for that, whether it be from the empathy which they don't seem to possess or a worker strike; it's pennies to them and they shouldn't be getting away with it.

posted on Aug, 29 2013 @ 10:40 PM
link   
reply to post by camaro68ss

"educate yourself and get a better job.."

GREAT!! Couldn't BE more ANTI-AMERICAN or IGNORANT to AMERICAN history can you?

How about the history of the labor movement in America?

Guess they all should have just "got better education/job"

What type of RETARD would choose getting a better job, over making your job better?

posted on Aug, 29 2013 @ 10:44 PM
link   
reply to post by Aloysius the Gaul

Dictatorship naturally arises out of democracy, and the most aggravated form of tyranny and slavery out of the most extreme liberty....Plato

Democracy passes into despotism...Plato

I don't know maybe you should all be thankful you do not and never truly ever lived under a democracy though that is assumed by many people, the other assumption is republic but that seems equally as false.

But what they hell would one truly call our society and government now a days? Maybe a new word need to be invented.

posted on Aug, 29 2013 @ 10:46 PM
link   

Business management (currently hotels/rest/bar type businesses).

I do art on the side. Its a great hobby. Like being a rock star or pro athlete, it is something you can certainly aspire to. But you need a backup plan.

My oldest son is a senior with a major in journalism. Tell me about starving "artists". His personality isn't assertive enough for journalism, I think he picked it from throwing darts at a dartboard. This "back up plan" talk is something I have had with him, too. Not to mention the fact that he has no body of work, like a blog, to show (it doesn't seem like rocket science to market yourself).

I don't criticise the unwashed masses. I criticize the poor decisions that are made that get people in the position they are in. It isn't a puzzle, figuring out this life. And I see enough smart people that make bad decisions that get them up the creek, then they complain about how unfair it all is.

No, there isn't a slot for everyone. But if you are smart enough to at least position yourself, you can certainly improve your odds. You are right about the art degree.....so why would we assume someone insightful enough to get an art degree is insightful enough to do the things a high wage earner typically does?

posted on Aug, 29 2013 @ 10:48 PM
link   

reply to post by filledcup

Your use of hashtags is morose. Really.

If you look on the other side of the glass, we seem like "clones" because there is a tried and true methodology. And it has nothing to do with slave trades or any such foolish nonsense.

THe system is the way it is. It won't change any time soon. And if it does, it will be replaced by a similarly corrupt one. So learn to use this system to benefit you....because its all you got.

A good first step at being taken seriously here is to stop using text speak. Talk like a grown up....because what you are doing is against T&C.

so my creative use of hashtags bothers u? it may not serve a purpose in ur eyes. but it's my unique way of expression. it gets the message across. the most interesting thing about my use of hashtags tho, is that you make that the headline statement for your retort of my comment. real good substance in your debate there is.

next..

ur talking about tried and true? so u dont think this whole thing is on the verge of a giant flop that will prove it is not the right system to use for all eternity? shows how much u really understand. like i told u. ur locked in the past. this whole thing is coming down. and ur standing by it cuz the water hasnt reached up to ur neck yet in this sinking ship.

i dont necessarily even have to debate this with you. the day will come when u will say "my God i cant believe this is happening"

#markmywordsdarling

posted on Aug, 29 2013 @ 10:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by LewsTherinThelamon
reply to post by Thorneblood

Where do you think all the educated people went to get jobs in the past few years?

A degree in Women's Studies is not marketable.

STEM is where it's at.

But people choose to major in pointless disciplines like history or "the arts." So....they are fully qualified for a career at McDonalds.

Or maybe they should create a market whole apart from this one were such things are given value. If you go by this one, or old ones. Well there a bit lacking on the imaginations to say, and if I was nice. But if I was not nice I would say there completely retarded and it seems to be the stupidest run the show with the even more stupid just bellow them breeding themselves over and over in an attempt for one to control the other.

But ya, why is that when something like this comes up people don't go. Hmm this society does not value what i do. Screw this # then. I will find like minded people and start my own society. Are they really that afraid of retards who cant even solve the most rudimentary of problems which creep up time and time again. Or is the the animal fear instinct kicking in. Must be so.

posted on Aug, 29 2013 @ 10:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by filledcup
so my creative use of hashtags bothers u? it may not serve a purpose in ur eyes. but it's my unique way of expression. it gets the message across. the most interesting thing about my use of hashtags tho, is that you make that the headline statement for your retort of my comment. real good substance in your debate there is.

Listen, it is against the rules of the forum. Abide by them or not....

ur talking about tried and true? so u dont think this whole thing is on the verge of a giant flop that will prove it is not the right system to use for all eternity? shows how much u really understand. like i told u. ur locked in the past. this whole thing is coming down. and ur standing by it cuz the water hasnt reached up to ur neck yet in this sinking ship.

i dont necessarily even have to debate this with you. the day will come when u will say "my God i cant believe this is happening"

#markmywordsdarling

I would believe it if it happened. But until then, I know how to make this system work for me.
That's called "reality".

posted on Aug, 29 2013 @ 11:01 PM
link   
reply to post by galadofwarthethird

The value of what you do is a concrete concept. It is difficult to quantify compensating too greatly for abstract work.

Not that it is right, it is just the way things are.

The artist we keep talking about....what does it take for someone to actually be interested in their work? Maslow likely has something to say about it, right?

posted on Aug, 29 2013 @ 11:07 PM
link   

Ya your right its a never ending cycle of the dept system. But that in itself is not the problem, the problem is that there is no outlet for a majority of people through which they can use it, nothing practical. It really has advanced more then most people are capable of using it. Which is why you get so many scams, as its the easiest way and most natural way people would operate. Our society may have become more complicated then the sum of its parts, the sum being people that is. It's like teaching dogs through jump through hoops and to do back flips then it gets a treat and a ribbon, but ultimately what a dog really wants to do is sleep and lick its butt and it will be happy.

Education itself is in many ways the problem, not only is human socity not conductive to everybody being on the same educational level but never in history has it operated like that. Our whole societies in the past were basically based on knowledge suppression as a distinction between the classes. You remove that and the actual machine the ritual and what not breaks down, leading to a mass confusion and inability to function on the basic levels. Or as you said a 40.000 diploma is useless. And especially give that all you learned you could have done from the safety of your computer, but humans being the pack animal that it is need such constructs as schools and or trade schools or any such constructs within groups for it to function.

Which in itself becomes a problems because like most dogs who just want to lay about and sniff other dogs. Humans are not much different, I mean who cares about any of this # really? If your remove it all and disband all these social constructs in all humans are not capable of such things, or at least not all. The group mind and interaction for everything then becomes a necessity for everything that happens in a society. Which in itself just becomes a necessity for finding a niche for everybody in said group and society to function well. There in lies the majority of this headache, as that has no outlet for many people, and like a moving river it must always be flexible to different degrees.

posted on Aug, 29 2013 @ 11:12 PM
link   
i am on a no fast food diet at the moment but i think the fast food workers should get paid more, maybe that would lead to better service, lol fast food service is horrible!!!

posted on Aug, 29 2013 @ 11:34 PM
link   
It doesn't matter how well educated you are if the jobs are not available "locally" (where locally may mean in your country!) - and that is often the situation people find themselves in.

with jobs outsourced to low-wage economies a lot of gainful employment opportunity simply isn't there any more. Those that remain are often fiercely competitive and only a few of those that are qualified can get them so what do the rest do?

Plus many high paying jobs have ferociously difficult entry criteria - training schools for dentistry, doctors, vets, for example have limited places...and when people graduate the first thing they look for is where can they get het best return on their student investment?

Not only those, but also pilots - you think piloting is a juicy romantic high paid job??

Maybe it is for the elite flying het big jets for the big airlines......but your newly graduated regional pilot might be having more of a hard time with his or her finances than you expect!

and so it goes on because short term gain is seen as the driving force - not long term sustainability!

posted on Aug, 29 2013 @ 11:46 PM
link   
reply to post by bigfatfurrytexan

I never actually heard of the guy till now or I cant remember at this time hearing of Maslow's hierarchy of needs, but its in my memory somewhere because the name sounds familiar. But from what I read he seems like an inverse cripple, a term I am sure you heard before. But ya the guy is pretty stupid, his little pyramid thing is the equivalent of all other pyramids out there which have existed. Some of which make great tombstones in the sand as there quite a spectacular failure for the none existences of other millena, however everything intrinsic has a value at one time or another, therefore it survives to carry on.

But going on about the way he sets things up and does his little diagram and theories which they in itself refutes his finding, or onions as I would call them. His whole philosophy accounts to you are the sum of your experiences and environments even on a generational level, which will thereby condition what you will be most prone to.

To which I would respond and summarize his whole theories and process in one word..... duh!

As for artists. Well it depends what you would consider art. You have people paying thousands of dollars for a potato chip which looks like Jesus. And you have other paying millions more for painting and pictures which are really kind of just crap, and then you have rich people which would spend a fortune for items which would feed a small village for items which are of no significance at all beyond there small circle. Then you have things like this in this thread.
Lycurgus Cup

I mean sure it looks sort of fancy, the art work on it looks like it was designed by a 14 year old, has some special properties. But I think I saw a cup exactly like this at a goodwill years ago, and it to changed colors to when held up to the light. So you know...Whatever, it just may be the more practical artwork then the potato chip which looks like Elvis or Jesus. I mean the cup is fancy, and may have sold for hundreds of thousands of dollars, but I would have to fain impressiveness, especially when the glass work can be replicated by machines and the artwork on it could be done on a 3d printer. In fact there was something about a guy making a riffle in one of those printers and actually firing with it, though albeit only a few times.

There are many outlets for artists now a days and in the future that may be more so, even today artsy things such as movies and video-games are pretty big business, yet those to are catering to specific things and markets. And even with the 3d printer thing you can create all kinds of things which would be practical yet considered art especially when it starts getting more advanced and using other materials. But you know price and perceived price go hand in hand, those sometimes one outreaches the other. Plus there are tricks to such as well. What I am saying bro is that one day you to will get the chance to be the dinosaur. I know I have been one many times and still am one, a relic from an age long forgot, with no values at all and very few perceived value and that only as long as I can find my way out of it.

posted on Aug, 29 2013 @ 11:58 PM
link   
reply to post by Aloysius the Gaul

Oh ya you would be surprised the gap in pilot pays even among the same profession. Though the top of them get paid bank, and yet they put in there time no doubt. But for some of the others to move up they will literally have to wait for the top ones to drop dead. That and flying an airplane even though it takes skill and school and all that, I have played more complicated video games which took more effort to learn and some of them likely more time as well.

You know how you can tell when traveling that your pilot is using the autopilot system. Well in the air its pretty much on autopilot, but when landing and taking off on good weather days they like to give themselves control so they dont go completely rusty. But yes usually if the landing is smooth its the computer, if its a bit bumpy and shifty its the pilot operating it. In fact most of it is automated, a majority of the time there job is to keep track and make sure the automation's work fine. But ya work at the airport and heard that the head pilot guys who run the cargo flights makes something like 10,000 $ per week or so. Its quite a lot of change now inst it, especially considering that others doing pretty much the same thing would be making McDonald money.
Its all just a bit about perceived value mixed in there with ol fashion supply and demand. That and the system in place must be maintained at all costs, that is all what anything and societies and jobs are really about.

new topics

top topics

<< 15  16  17    19  20  21 >>

join