It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Fast-food walkout U.S. workers strike in several cities to call attention to low wages.

page: 13
<< 10  11  12    14  15  16 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 29 2013 @ 06:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by palmalBlue2
Do these fast food places still offer raises and opportunities to advance if you stick it out through the entry level phase?

I'm asking because there are alot of companies that start you off at minimum wage/no benefits/part time w/crappy schedule, but if you stick it out, SHOW UP and actually work, you can advance.

Call centers come to mind. And Burger King [at least 6 months ago when my son applied]
edit on 29-8-2013 by palmalBlue2 because: (no reason given)

February 4, 2001 I started in a call center as an agent (AOL Tech Support). I was slated to start nursing school in April. I had just finished putting my wife through nursing school the prior December.

After 2 weeks I was out of training. 2 days later I was the #1 agent in the center. A week later I was #1 in our company (outsourcer, we had 2000 seats across 3 locations). At the end of that week I was promoted to trainer. 3 months later I ran the training department. 5 months later I was put in charge of a new site.

You don't have to be a genius. You just have to show up and try. That is all I did. Im not highly paid, but I have a great job doing what I want for the amount of money that makes me happy.

posted on Aug, 29 2013 @ 06:10 PM
link   
I am now posting naked because most seem to be ignoring the fact that the franchise owners are making what the employees WANT to make!

posted on Aug, 29 2013 @ 06:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by SearchLightsInc
How was i suppose to know that? Wouldnt it just have been easier to answer the question?

You would have known that if you had read the thread like you are supposed to before you posted. It's not my job to repeat and repeat. It's your job to read the thread.

No, that's what you're ASSUMING im calling for, which isnt the case.

Actually ... it is. You didn't say a 'flat across the board wage'. But that is indeed what you are calling for. If you raise burger flipper salaries by 100% ... then you must raise everyone else's as well. That's basic economics. If you don't raise all the other salaries, then you are calling for a flat wage ... and you are calling for wages based on EMOTION rather than ECONOMICS.

I Which im not advocating.

You are. If you raise wages of burger flippers to $32,000 a year, then they are very close to the same wage as a four year degreed chemist. So that is exactly what you are advocating. Unless you raise the wages of the chemist. And if you raise the other wages, then the burger flippers are back at the bottom where they started. So it doesn't work.

"Deserve" There's that word again. Chemist's "Deserve" to have a living wage because they are more important than the other human being who flips burgers? Really now?

There' you spouting straw men again.
Chemists deserve a higher wage because there are fewer of them, they have positions that are more difficult to fill, they are specially skilled and specially trained. As for your 'more important than other human beings' far left wing rhetoric ... stuff it.

No, im going to pay the burger flipper's a wage that is above the stated poverty line.

Again ... burger flipping isn't supposed to be a full time career. It's entry level. They are supposed to move on from it and climb the ladder. And if you raise a burger flippers pay, then you have to raise everyone else's.

The business is f**ked without them.

No. The business can lay off all the burger flippers and then turn around and fill those jobs with others who are just as unskilled and it will continue just fine. Burger flippers are a dime a dozen.

No im not. Chemists would still be on a higher wage, it just wouldnt be ridiculously higher.

It isn't ridiculously higher to pay a person for their skills and education. It isn't ridiculously higher to pay people to fill jobs that are harder to fill. What is ridiculous is to pay a burger flipper the same pay as a four year degreed chemist. That's ABSURD.

Wrong again.

Nope. I"m correct. I'm posting facts and basic economics. You are posting emotional rhetoric that puts forward economic thoughts that are impossible.

We've been through this, im not going to read every post you made in this thread

Then you haven't educated yourself on this subject nor the thread. Proper board etiquette is to read the thread before posting comments.

Even for plumbers!? C'mon now, you said it yourself, if we all became plumbers teh average wage would go down significantly.

Sure. That's basic economics. If there was a glut of plumbers, then the pay for plumbers would go down and many would bail and become other things, and then the pay of plumbers would raise up.

Far, FAR to many over-paid idiots in the middle who cant even perform the basics of their job competently.

That's opinion.

posted on Aug, 29 2013 @ 06:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by VoidHawk

The ignorance and utter greed shown throughout this thread is disgusting.
I think most of you must surely be employers! afraid that you may actually be forced to pay a HEALTHY wage.

I couldnt agree more, though I believe it is pointless to try to talk sense to someone who only sees their green, not the need of the people, and the economy as a whole.

Some people think they know econ, because they understand the business side of economics.

I guess they dont understand the difference between "business" and "economics".

"business"- the study and theory involved in what is profitable for a single entity, that is refered to as a "business"

"economics"- the study and theory of all business and associated economic activity of a populous, understood most easily as, what is good for A business, is not necessarily what is good for the economy as a whole, but what is good for the economy as a whole, will profit A business in the long run, though it may at times cause a short term net loss for A business, its owner/s and or shareholders.

posted on Aug, 29 2013 @ 06:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by beezzer
I am now posting naked because most seem to be ignoring the fact that the franchise owners are making what the employees WANT to make!

HUN .. you are posting facts without emotion.
It's not what certain others want to hear.
They think the economy can run on emotional decisions.

A burger flipper isn't worth the same as the manager. It's just that simple.
And yet, the flippers want the same even though they don't have the education or skills.

Greed ... sure ... on the part of the flipper.

posted on Aug, 29 2013 @ 06:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by neo96

Pay them McDonald's workers more to serve crappy GMO food.

If I had a son, I would call him Neo McNugget.............

posted on Aug, 29 2013 @ 06:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by oblvion

Originally posted by VoidHawk
The ignorance and utter greed shown throughout this thread is disgusting.

I couldnt agree more,

Ignorance. Yep. People who use emotion and think that burger flippers deserve a 100% raise, and a salary that is nearly the same as a four year degreed chemist. Absurd.

Utter greed. Yep. Burger flippers who want the salary the manager gets even though they have done nothing to deserve it and they could easily be replaced (whereas the manager can't be easily replaced).

Disgusting? You betchya. Emotional people spitting insults at other posters here like 'ignorance' 'greed' and 'disgusting' ... when posters dare to post basic economic principles.

Get real, people. Take an economics class .....

posted on Aug, 29 2013 @ 06:19 PM
link   
If you do not think the economy is intentionally being manipulated to create a two class society....consider this:

In 1972, the price of an ounce of gold was $38.00 per ounce
(source = [link to minerals.usgs.gov] )

In 1972, the minimum wage was $1.60 an hour.

A person in 1972 had to work approx 23.75 hours to earn the equivalent of an ounce of gold value.

In 2013, the price of gold is roughly $1,580.00 an ounce (give or take)

In 2013 the minimum wage is currently $7.25 and hour.

A person today must work approximately 218 hours to earn the equivalent to an ounce of gold.

This has slowly taken place over the last 40 some odd years. Most people were to distracted to even notice it happening. But it's here now and it's effects are staggering

that means a minimum wage employee should make 10,000 a month to be the equal to 1972

they should ask for 63 dollars an hour
then just put a general raise on it for 30 years so maybe 70 an hour just so they could maintain the standard we all had in 1972

posted on Aug, 29 2013 @ 06:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by dean007
If you do not think the economy is intentionally being manipulated to create a two class society....consider this:

In 1972, the price of an ounce of gold was $38.00 per ounce
(source = [link to minerals.usgs.gov] )

A person in 1972 had to work approx 23.75 hours to earn the equivalent of an ounce of gold value.

In 2013, the price of gold is roughly $1,580.00 an ounce (give or take)

In 2013 the minimum wage is currently $7.25 and hour.

A person today must work approximately 218 hours to earn the equivalent to an ounce of gold.

This has slowly taken place over the last 40 some odd years. Most people were to distracted to even notice it happening. But it's here now and it's effects are staggering

that means a minimum wage employee should make 10,000 a month to be the equal to 1972

they should ask for 63 dollars an hour
then just put a general raise on it for 30 years so maybe 70 an hour just so they could maintain the standard we all had in 1972

I have been trying to explain this, but your words are alot better than mine so.....^ "ya what he said" ^

posted on Aug, 29 2013 @ 06:27 PM
link   
reply to post by sonnny1

If I had a son, I would call him Neo McNugget..

And if I had a country that was run like a business ought not to be, and if I gave in to dogma that people should be paid for what they think they are worth, instead of the work they actually performed.

I would be broke,destitute, and my name would be America.

posted on Aug, 29 2013 @ 06:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by beezzer

Good. now hop into that warm water and start cutting the potato and carrot.

I like rabbit stew.

posted on Aug, 29 2013 @ 06:30 PM
link   
I will start by saying that I'm a 17 year old who works at a fast food restaurant. I don't try to live off of minimum wage, and I only know a handful of people I work with who are adults trying to live working at this restaurant who are not in school or managers/assistant managers. In fact, even the aforementioned handful has gotten a number of pay raises because they do their job efficiently.

Raising the minimum wage would only be beneficial to the lazy workers who have not earned their pay raise, or the new workers with their STARTING salary of $7.25. Although, as previous posters have mentioned, this would likely not even be beneficial to them, due to everyone "not wanting to make less than a fry cook" and eventually making $9/hr just as unlivable as $7.25/hr.

All of this being said, I'm still in favor of the minimum wage raise. Why, you ask? Because I'm a 17 year old who doesn't NEED the money, and i'm fairly certain that the price of the herb which i spend a good portion of my paycheck on will not increase.

posted on Aug, 29 2013 @ 06:30 PM
link   
reply to post by oblvion

That is $9 bucks an hour in 2013 dollars

posted on Aug, 29 2013 @ 06:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by Beartracker16

Fast-food walkout U.S. workers strike in several cities to call attention to low wages.

video.ca.msn.com

Fast food workers across the States are walking off the job today, fighting for a living wage.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Like everything in life, you get what you pay for, and if mcdonalds pay crap money they get crap staff, which then overspills onto the customer who gets crap service, and the standards go rapidly downhill from there.. regardless of peoples academical achievements, or falling on hard times. or whatever excuse is handy to use. your time is your time and if anyone wants to buy it they pay for it. regardless of the task for which they require you and quite obviously a job with more responsibility demands more pay. I agree with those people, give them a fair wage for putting up with some of the drunk and abusive people who frequent those fast food joints....

posted on Aug, 29 2013 @ 06:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by bigfatfurrytexan
February 4, 2001 I started in a call center as an agent (AOL Tech Support). I was slated to start nursing school in April. I had just finished putting my wife through nursing school the prior December.

After 2 weeks I was out of training. 2 days later I was the #1 agent in the center. A week later I was #1 in our company (outsourcer, we had 2000 seats across 3 locations). At the end of that week I was promoted to trainer. 3 months later I ran the training department. 5 months later I was put in charge of a new site.

You don't have to be a genius. You just have to show up and try. That is all I did. Im not highly paid, but I have a great job doing what I want for the amount of money that makes me happy.

how many people have to work as the rank and file to allow you to hold a position as #1, then trainer, then manager??

how well would you have been able to do if no-one else was answering the phones??

posted on Aug, 29 2013 @ 06:34 PM
link   

no it isnt

do the math again
edit on 29-8-2013 by dean007 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 29 2013 @ 06:36 PM
link   
reply to post by dean007

So...you are saying that pay should be based on commodity markets?
Any particular reason to think that? When the price of gold drops wages should too?

posted on Aug, 29 2013 @ 06:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by dean007

no it isnt

do the math again
edit on 29-8-2013 by dean007 because: (no reason given)

Yeah it is

data.bls.gov...

posted on Aug, 29 2013 @ 06:38 PM
link   
no im saying you have to work 198 hours more today to get what you had in 1972

posted on Aug, 29 2013 @ 06:45 PM
link   
these excuses are all very poor.. and even more so from a moral perspective..

so a manager gets paid $30/hr and u dont think the floor workers should get $15 because it's half a manager's salary?

guess who's fault that is? that's right.. the manager's. u want to know why? because even tho they are paying out a certain amount in salaries.. the bottom line is that even after paying out the salaries for every worker from floor to management, the profit margin that goes into the bank for the corporation is in the MILLIONS OF DOLLARS.

what puprose are those millions serving locked up in a bank account? they serve noone but a dead corporation. a non-living entity. a FICTIONAL PERSON. that the fictional person gets paid more money than the flesh and blood workers it's nonsense.

then u pretend to miss the point and allow these companies to threaten to fire staff if the minimum wage is too high? too high for what? too high for spending $1mill extra in employee salaries giving each a few bucks raise out of a 15mill profit margin that just sits in the bank every month is GREED. there is no purpose to that money. sure some of it can and will be used in the future for maintenance of the compound and repairing broken down machines and replacing them etc. but there is no reason.. no reason at all for all that surplus to just be sitting in a bank account.

u know what purpose that serves?? share value, your friendly neighbourhood stock brokers and investors who's aim is to make the fictional entity grow.. with total disregard for the living entities. they can die for all these ppl care as long as the work gets done and the share value goes up.. more rubbish. pointless and gradually raising the temperature of the water the frog is sitting in to boiling point.

what a higher minimum wage means is just that startup companies will take longer to break even. but after that point, companies as large as mcd's etc are generating millions in profit each month that adds to the fictional entity's bank account. it just sits there.

u guys think u know about capitalism and thriving economies. well as many have pointed out. what we are in right now isnt capitalism. it carries that name.. but what it really is is CRONYISM. you know why?

because economies grow and thrive by the cycling of the money through all sectors and echelons of society. if you pay ppl more, they spend more. and they come right back to the businesses and spend that money. so if u raise the pay rate of the lowest echelons first, the money gets to come back around faster and grow the GDP faster.

cronyism is what's draining america and europe and everyone's budget is in a deficit. because they fudge the numbers by passing most of the money from government to large corporations then back to the government. and that's their fake cycle. an illusion! meanwhile the price of everything is steadily rising with each new budget and greater deficit, inflation rate grows even if they fudge the numbers again to redirect it's representation in some other avenue.. but the bottom line is.. prices are steadily rising and people's salaries stay the same for decades!

but all the while ppl are working their same long hrs doing their same job and even getting more work to do. and these companies just horde all this cash in bank accounts.

so dont make any excuses for the pay rate of the manager. the manager decides that for himself. he knows that $30 is what he needs to be comfortable. what makes him think that it isnt the same amount needed for anyone else to be comfortable too? these companies can easily raise pay rates based on the billions that accumulate due to the hard work of these 'inferior citizens'. and all they want.. all anyone in the world wants is a decent quality of life. and they cant do that without money in this system of The Beast. inhumane and some even refer to survival of the fittest as tho that is some kind of classy proposition that they still think on the level of the animals in the jungle.

i say.. what is and was the point of leaving the jungle if the same rules still apply? arent we better than the animals? arent we more intelligent, more capable beings able to forge the destiny and direction of the planet as a whole. and this is the rubbish we are doing with it? capitalizing off the land of starving children in africa while we use their gold to back our currencies? and ppl defend this? they see it as right?

some will say no it's not right and life isnt fair so deal with it. and thats why i call them goats. because the answer to every question is 'baaaaa'.
edit on 29-8-2013 by filledcup because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 10  11  12    14  15  16 >>

join