It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Fast-food walkout U.S. workers strike in several cities to call attention to low wages.

page: 11
<< 8  9  10    12  13  14 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 29 2013 @ 05:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by FlyersFan

Originally posted by UnifiedSerenity
you don't see what's going on now, and say, "That's what the job is worth" without realizing these people are no longer able to find good jobs because they don't exist,

The sob story, while sad, is irrelevant to economics. Because some people have a hard time is no reason to hike their pay above what they are worth. If you want to donate to them out of your pocket ... go right ahead. But for them to demand more money simply because they want it and can't OR WONT work for a better job ... that's just bad economics and bad for the country (and bad for the burger flipper in the long run).

Who determines what someone is worth?

Not to mention if we take into account all the inflation created by the federal reserve bank mafia for its near 100 year existance, someone calculate MW should be about $20 per hour.

Someone breaking their back for a living, while not as valuable as a decision maker, should be compensated fairly.

Lots of people are going to end up with dead jobs the way obama is running this economy.

posted on Aug, 29 2013 @ 05:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by matafuchs
reply to post by SearchLightsInc

Yes, they are asking for nothing. 10 bucks, i can swallow. But 15 bucks to ring my order of drop fries...nope. If that is the case, as described, I want to double my income also. Why is it ok for someone on the bottom to demand more but someone on the top to not deserve it. You are buying into the stereotypical ' old white guy like Romney' situation. I know people also who own franchised as well as private business and they sometimes 'take home' less then their employees. Is that fair...

That's what I'm saying. 10 years ago I was working manual labor making above minimum wage at $13/hr. It was backbreaking work -- hauling scaffolding material all over the job site. I felt like I worked harder for that $13 than someone making $7.75 pushing buttons on a register, or slapping patties on buns.

I helped BUILD something, something that is still in operation today producing natural gas and crude oil for this country.

My hamburger from 10 years ago is long gone.

If the bottom gets a raise, everyone else should too. Of course, then that just leads to inflation and we're no better off than where we were before.

EDIT TO ADD:
Maybe instead of increasing wages, we should drop prices? I know, I know the government can't tell a company how much to charge for something...but lower prices would allow those on minimum wage to live more comfortably.
edit on 29-8-2013 by MystikMushroom because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 29 2013 @ 05:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by EarthCitizen07

The economy. The job pool. The amount of specialized training or skills required for the job.
If lots of people can do the job .. the job isn't worth much.
If a very few people can do the job ... the job is worth more.

People get compensated for the time and effort made for learning a skill.
Cardiac doctors can perform heart surgery because they went to school and know how.
Burger flippers can not.
There are fewer Cardiac doctors than burger flippers ... and they have specialized skills.
Burger flippers are a dime a dozen and have no special skills.

A cardiac doctor can flip burgers.
Burger flippers can't perform heart surgery.

Simple economics.

posted on Aug, 29 2013 @ 05:07 PM
link   

Economics 101 - Paying your workers what the position is worth

And who should be deciding what that position is worth? Im sure you'll say the shareholder/whoever's running the show - Yeah, im sure they wont be biased when they're judging what their front line staff are worth

because it's an entry level job that isn't intended to support a family.

I can solve their strike action right away:
Stop employing people who are dependant on that wage to raise a family. Crisis solved.

Oh wait, that makes sense.

As per, im one of few people talking sense on this thread

Seriously people ... go take an economics course. Paying a burger flipper the same as a degree'd chemist will set off a chain of inflation and will do the burger flipper no good.

You realise this system your promoting cannot sustain itself dont you? The day's of paying people absolutely nothing are numbered and the world we be better place when we share the wealth more equally.

Instead, the burger flipper needs to learn new skills and/or get an education to raise him/her self out of the entry level job.

And yet, if everyone becomes a plumber, wont the average wage of a plumber go down!?

Handing him money he hasn't earned

Has earned probably a hundred times over *

in an entry level position will just teach him that he can get money that he doesn't deserve and that he doesn't have to work for a better job.

There are no better jobs to work towards, the one's remaining in the west are vastly underpaid. Are you not aware that many well paid jobs were shipped abroad for slave labour? We moved into a low paid service sector economy and capitalists have made BILLIONS off the hard work of "lazy, worthless unskilled workers"

posted on Aug, 29 2013 @ 05:08 PM
link   
reply to post by FlyersFan

And guess what? There are cardiac doctors in other countries willing to work for much less and do the same job. You will find out soon enough that doctors are not as great as they think they are, and when their goose gets cooked they will scream. Oh wait, Obama is about to do that and the older ones are planning to retire in droves!

I think that says it all.

posted on Aug, 29 2013 @ 05:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by SearchLightsInc
And who should be deciding what that position is worth?

See previous post. Basic economics.

You realise this system your promoting cannot sustain itself

You realize the flat same wage system for everyone that you are calling for simply does not work.

And yet, if everyone becomes a plumber, wont the average wage of a plumber go down!?

Yep.

Has earned probably a hundred times over

Nope.

posted on Aug, 29 2013 @ 05:12 PM
link   

There are cardiac doctors in other countries willing to work for much less and do the same job.

We are talking about the economic system in the USA.
It's very different than Europe or the socialized medicine countries.

You will find out soon enough that doctors are not as great as they think they are,

Don't get me started ... the stories I could tell!!
Back on topic ... Doctors are not a dime a dozen. Engineers are not a dime a dozen. Chemists are not a dime a dozen. Heck ... NHL Players are not a dime a dozen. Each has a special skill and special training that deserve compensation. Burger flippers ARE a dime a dozen and require no special skills or special training.

posted on Aug, 29 2013 @ 05:13 PM
link   

It is a living wage. You do not need a cell phone, cable, or to run the AC all day and night. You do not need cigarettes and to eat out You have a wage to live. If you are just getting by, make a difference in your life and do it. People do it all the time. LOTS of people do. LOTS of people have done it for years.

How about waitresses making 3 bucks plus tips at a diner? How about the 9.00 an hour electricians helper. The 8.00 an hour lawn maintenance guy? Do they not all fit the same bill. It is called America. I remember when i made that much and I pushed myself. Should I feel bad if I busted my ass and will make 100k this year when there is someone who is at the poverty line who can qualify for all sorts of assistance to help out. No, I should not and neither should you. I have skills that are in need and I earned them outside of my college degree. Someone with an IQ of 70 can flip a burger....

To all of you out that who think they need more money, take 4 bucks an hour out of your pocket and donate it to one employee at a local establishment because that is what you are demanding of business owners. See how you can deal with it....

edit on 29-8-2013 by matafuchs because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 29 2013 @ 05:14 PM
link   
I see that I've been ignored.

Owners of the burger joints make @15.00 dollars an hour.

For those of you that want to pay more. . . .

PAY MORE

And quit your damned whining!

posted on Aug, 29 2013 @ 05:15 PM
link   

And who should be deciding what that position is worth?

See previous post. Basic economics.

Sweetheart, darling, buttercup, I am not about to go through 11 pages of replies to find whatever you said, just saying!

You realize the flat same wage system for everyone that you are calling for simply does not work.

Who said anything about a flat wage?

I think you just accept the inequalities in the system because you're probably benefiting from them

Yep.

So if everyone took your advice, we'd all end up low paid anyhow?

Has earned probably a hundred times over

Nope.

How haven't they?
What constitutes as working hard?

posted on Aug, 29 2013 @ 05:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by EarthCitizen07

The economy. The job pool. The amount of specialized training or skills required for the job.
If lots of people can do the job .. the job isn't worth much.
If a very few people can do the job ... the job is worth more.

People get compensated for the time and effort made for learning a skill.
Cardiac doctors can perform heart surgery because they went to school and know how.
Burger flippers can not.
There are fewer Cardiac doctors than burger flippers ... and they have specialized skills.
Burger flippers are a dime a dozen and have no special skills.

A cardiac doctor can flip burgers.
Burger flippers can't perform heart surgery.

Simple economics.

Since you mention doctors and the medical field in general let me tell you this profession is way over-compensated. In many countries with nationalised healthcare systems patients pay between 1/10 to 1/2 what they pay in the usa.

No wonder everyone is quick to demonise obamacare....hint, hint the republicans

posted on Aug, 29 2013 @ 05:16 PM
link   
reply to post by brandiwine14

Hey I'm not gonna lie, I work for Hardee's/Carl's Jr and Popeye's for a year when I was a teen and let me tell yea, it was money for pay for my car but when I found something better I put my two weeks and hit the door but I will always appreciate for having that job period.
edit on 29-8-2013 by sylent6 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 29 2013 @ 05:17 PM
link   

Are you aware of the crisis in the engineering field? Companies imported Indian engineers and laid off the American engineers. They demanded the Americans train their replacements or not get the severance package offered. Now these engineers are out of jobs! The Indians have filled all the good jobs at less money, and they only hire other Indian co-workers.

This will happen all across the board, and you just don't seem to get it. America is being dismantled.

link   

Originally posted by searching411
EXCUSES -- EXCUSES. Shame on those of you who have that "poor victim" attitude. If you want a better job, work for it. If you want a better education, work for it. If you want a better life, work for it.

It is so much easier to have an excuse and play the "drama queen" card. Grow up and accept responsibility. At least in the United States we do not have a "caste" system and regardless of your place in the order of society, you can break free, but you have to WORK FOR IT.

It bears repeating.

link   

you don't see what's going on now, and say, "That's what the job is worth" without realizing these people are no longer able to find good jobs because they don't exist,

The sob story, while sad, is irrelevant to economics. Because some people have a hard time is no reason to hike their pay above what they are worth. If you want to donate to them out of your pocket ... go right ahead. But for them to demand more money simply because they want it and can't OR WONT work for a better job ... that's just bad economics and bad for the country (and bad for the burger flipper in the long run).

FlyersFan ... I agreed with you throughout this entire thread until this statement. You are correct when you say a job that requires no skills should not get the same as a job requiring skills BUT, the fact is skilled jobs are being shipped out of this country at an alarming rate. THAT is the REAL problem. Yes, some will never WANT to improve themselves. Some do wish to improve but the jobs are GONE. It is short sighted to deny that fact.

posted on Aug, 29 2013 @ 05:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by matafuchs

It is a living wage. You do not need a cell phone, cable, or to run the AC all day and night. You do not need cigarettes and to eat out You have a wage to live. If you are just getting by, make a difference in your life and do it. People do it all the time. LOTS of people do. LOTS of people have done it for years.

How about waitresses making 3 bucks plus tips at a diner? How about the 9.00 an hour electricians helper. The 8.00 an hour lawn maintenance guy? Do they not all fit the same bill. It is called America. I remember when i made that much and I pushed myself. Should I feel bad if I busted my ass and will make 100k this year when there is someone who is at the poverty line who can qualify for all sorts of assistance to help out. No, I should not and neither should you. I have skills that are in need and I earned them outside of my college degree. Someone with an IQ of 70 can flip a burger....

To all of you out that who think they need more money, take 4 bucks an hour out of your pocket and donate it to one employee at a local establishment because that is what you are demanding of business owners. See how you can deal with it....

edit on 29-8-2013 by matafuchs because: (no reason given)

Why dont you just buy poor people a loaded gun and say:
" F**K you, You're worthless, here's a gun, the bathrooms that way"

posted on Aug, 29 2013 @ 05:19 PM
link   
Do these fast food places still offer raises and opportunities to advance if you stick it out through the entry level phase?

I'm asking because there are alot of companies that start you off at minimum wage/no benefits/part time w/crappy schedule, but if you stick it out, SHOW UP and actually work, you can advance.

Call centers come to mind. And Burger King [at least 6 months ago when my son applied]
edit on 29-8-2013 by palmalBlue2 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 29 2013 @ 05:21 PM
link   

Yes, but you could teach a burger flipper to do cardiac surgery. I'm fully confident that I could do any job if I was trained for it. I might not have the experience, or the depth of knowledge as a cardiac doctor that went to school for -- but you could train someone to do a complex task with enough repetition.

That said, I'd much rather have a Dr. that has trained in all kinds of potential scenarios vs. some guy that just knows how to do one kind of heart surgery.

posted on Aug, 29 2013 @ 05:22 PM
link   
Start at :50 as it has a loop at front...

This explains what I have been talking about regarding training, skills, and education:

posted on Aug, 29 2013 @ 05:22 PM
link   

I am not about to go through 11 pages of replies to find whatever you said, just saying!

The response to your question was just a few replies before ... just saying!

Who said anything about a flat wage?

That IS what you are calling for. If you raise burger flippers wages to equal that of chemists, then chemists will demand (and deserve) higher wages. are you going to raise the wages of everyone across the board by 100% like you did with burger flippers? They will deserve it. The economic system will demand it. If you don't, then you are giving a flat wage to everyone no matter what their skills or qualifications or educations are. And that's a flat wage .... communistic. (which fails)

I think you just accept the inequalities in the system because you're probably benefiting from them

Don't even try that 'silver spoon' crap.
If you read the past 11 pages .. you'd know how dead wrong your insinuations are.

So if everyone took your advice, we'd all end up low paid anyhow?

Nope. There are always entry level positions. There are always higher up positions. There are always those in the middle. It's up to the person to start at entry level and work their way up. It takes time. As they rise up through the ranks, others come in at entry level and those up top retire or die off.

new topics

top topics

<< 8  9  10    12  13  14 >>

join