It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Fast-food walkout U.S. workers strike in several cities to call attention to low wages.

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 29 2013 @ 11:41 AM
link   

Fast-food walkout U.S. workers strike in several cities to call attention to low wages.

video.ca.msn.com

Fast food workers across the States are walking off the job today, fighting for a living wage.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Aug, 29 2013 @ 11:41 AM
link   
The story reports that raising wages to poverty levels would cost .30 cents on a $10 meal.
Is that so bad.
McDonald's say wages are not controlled by corporate policy but by the franchise owners.
Could this lead to increasing wages for other segments of the economy?
There should be outrage all over the US as people are unable to get their happy meals today.

video.ca.msn.com
edit on 29-8-2013 by Beartracker16 because: correcting info

+15 more 
posted on Aug, 29 2013 @ 11:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by Beartracker16

The story reports that raising wages to poverty levels would cost .30 cents on a $10 meal.
Is that so bad.
McDonald's say wages are not controlled by corporate policy but by the franchise owners.
Could this lead to increasing wages for other segments of the economy?
There should be outrage all over the US as people are unable to get their happy meals today.

video.ca.msn.com
edit on 29-8-2013 by Beartracker16 because: correcting info

how would doubling the wages of labor only amount to .30 cent increase? im calling BS on the provided link.

Do all those idiots protesting understand once there wages increase, the price of good and services increase as well voiding the “new” economic advantage they were trying to obtain? I guess not, that’s why there working at McDonald’s.

There is a better way to get your wage increased. Educate yourself and get a better job. Become so valuable that your boss can’t afford to lose you. It’s what happened to my wife and me. now companies are bidding for us to work for them making our bosses pay us more to keep us.

Its simple supply and demand dynamics, when there is a short supply of “efficient and productive workers”, companies will pay more to obtain them.

When there is a LARGE supply of unproductive workers, example, fast food joints, the demand for those workers drops with wages.

edit on 29-8-2013 by camaro68ss because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 29 2013 @ 11:51 AM
link   
Being a fast food worker is not a career, it is for people to make some extra money. Unless you want to be a manager or franchise owner. Any increase in wages is an increase in price for the consumer. From what I have seen the workers are either in school or dropped out of school or someone looking to make a little extra cash, I have met very few people who are trying to live on what they make.

posted on Aug, 29 2013 @ 11:53 AM
link   
"Employees are striking in 50 US cities, that's pretty much a lot of US cities..." lol, wow these reporters are such dolts.

posted on Aug, 29 2013 @ 11:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by catt3
From what I have seen the workers are either in school or dropped out of school or someone looking to make a little extra cash, I have met very few people who are trying to live on what they make.

I guess you don't have many illegals near you?

+19 more 
posted on Aug, 29 2013 @ 11:57 AM
link   
It's not doubling, it's from $7,25 to $9.
And they are right to fight for it, minimum wage should not be below the poverty line.

posted on Aug, 29 2013 @ 11:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by earthling42
And they are right to fight for it, minimum wage should not be below the poverty line.

Headlines i read are for $15 wages.

minimum wage is just that, for uneducated workers with minimum skills.

posted on Aug, 29 2013 @ 12:06 PM
link   
reply to post by camaro68ss

Ahh so... does that mean they are less and have to work for a minimum wage below the poverty line?

edit

It was stated that the minimum wage is 19 percent under the poverty line, which means that 7,25 should be atleast 8,60 to be on par with the poverty line.
That is not to much, $15 is far above poverty line

edit on 29-8-2013 by earthling42 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 29 2013 @ 12:08 PM
link   
The reason why minimum wage is so low, is because it's a job that's suppose to be temporary. Minimum wage jobs are not suppose to be careers, they are safety net in case someone lose their main job. The lack of money is suppose to inspire people to move up the cooperate ladder.
edit on 29-8-2013 by Upton33 because: .

edit on 29-8-2013 by Upton33 because: .

posted on Aug, 29 2013 @ 12:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by camaro68ss

Headlines i read are for $15 wages.

minimum wage is just that, for uneducated workers with minimum skills.

I'm with you on this one. Working at a fast food franchise is considered to be a entry level job. If I were a franchise owner and had to pay $15.00 per hour to my employees, I'd probably be kicking the majority of them to the curb. Since the majority of these workers are considered part-time anyways.

It doesn't take a whole lot of people to run a burger joint. two shifts of 6-8 full time people tops, and that is if you are busy. Probably would make even a bigger profit by doing such.

Those who are protesting had better be careful of what they wish for.

posted on Aug, 29 2013 @ 12:10 PM
link   

Ahh so... does that mean they are less and have to work for a minimum wage below the poverty line?

they dont have to do anything. Its there choice to work at McDonald’s for minimum wage. If they dont like it, leave, educate yourself, and create a demand for your labor. An increase in demand for your labor increase your wages.

posted on Aug, 29 2013 @ 12:13 PM
link   

Do all those idiots protesting understand once there wages increase, the price of good and services increase as well voiding the “new” economic advantage they were trying to obtain? I guess not, that’s why there working at McDonald’s.]

No they skipped Econ 101 and failed to do any research on the topic. They don't realise that if their wage goes up the prices must go up and will minimize their advantage. They don't understand the ripple effect it will have on other industries as people demand to be paid more than "a fry cook."

They don't understand that it would mean a greater than 1% increase in inflation and probably a .5% increase in unemployment. They haven't read the sixty plus years of research on the subject.

posted on Aug, 29 2013 @ 12:14 PM
link   

$15 is not that far above the poverty line at all. based upon a 40 hour work week, 52 weeks a year it comes out to $31,200...BEFORE taxes. And other expenses, like the various insurances, utilities, rent/mortage, food & clothing. It gets pissed away rather quickly.

posted on Aug, 29 2013 @ 12:15 PM
link   
Made a little mistake there, i see you have a poverty line based on household size, is that correct?

posted on Aug, 29 2013 @ 12:16 PM
link   

It was stated that the minimum wage is 19 percent under the poverty line, which means that 7,25 should be atleast 8,60 to be on par with the poverty line.

I dont care where the povery line is. If they dont like the wages, work somewhere else. Its not like there doomed to work at McDonald’s the rest of there lives.

If people started to take that philosophy and leaving McDonalds due to low wages, by economic nature, McDonalds would be forced to naturally increase their wages to entice people to work there.

+3 more 
posted on Aug, 29 2013 @ 12:19 PM
link   
Sorry but here is a dose of reality.

People do not 'deserve' $15 bucks and hour flipping burgers.

They don't.

That hour wage increase translates across the board to unemployment insurance, and their SS contrbution the employer has to pay.

Some people need to grow the hell up. Don't like that job go find a real one,or find a better paying job.

Fast food use to be the place for teenagers. Now people want to make careers out of it?

What nonsense.

Someone once called this downward mobility. Indeed it is.

posted on Aug, 29 2013 @ 12:23 PM
link   
If i sound mean about it then so what.....

Fast-food workers better be thankful that they have a job period. Now I can see them getting $9.00-$9.25 depending on the position they're working and how long they been there but they are not getting no $15/he. I don't know what they be smoking but thats crazy.

There are so good jobs out there that pays $15/hr and fast food should not be one of them unless we want to pay $15 for a MC nugget super-size meal which we pay for anyways with the sides and mess.

Honestly if they go on strike, I will stand up and give them a big round of applause. Us Americans are too damn fat anyway so yea, stay away from the drive thru everyday and eat healthier for the sake of our kids.

Why should we pay them high wages for something that's really bad for us?

posted on Aug, 29 2013 @ 12:23 PM
link   

Made a little mistake there, i see you have a poverty line based on household size, is that correct?

I based it upon the last census I saw which put the poverty line at 28,000, give or take. It could very well be based upon household size.

The thing is, these are not supposed to be career type jobs. They are starter positions. Or even extra income for those who seek it.

But I am torn a bit. If some of these franchises do shut down, I admit I'll be chuckling a bit and yet thankful. It's nasty food and it may force some to re-evaluate their lives and move on and up.

What can I say, to me it's a win-win.

posted on Aug, 29 2013 @ 12:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by MikeNice81

Do all those idiots protesting understand once there wages increase, the price of good and services increase as well voiding the “new” economic advantage they were trying to obtain? I guess not, that’s why there working at McDonald’s.]

No they skipped Econ 101 and failed to do any research on the topic. They don't realise that if their wage goes up the prices must go up and will minimize their advantage. They don't understand the ripple effect it will have on other industries as people demand to be paid more than "a fry cook."

They don't understand that it would mean a greater than 1% increase in inflation and probably a .5% increase in unemployment. They haven't read the sixty plus years of research on the subject.

great points! wish i could give you more starts.

just to touch on your point. Hypothetically now the “fry cook” is getting $15 an hour and his wages now meet with the mechanic that fixes car motors. The mechanic, a skilled laborer, is now being paid the same as the “non skilled” “fry cook”. The mechanic is then going to demand his wages be increased setting off a chain reaction going all the way up to economic ladder. Resulting in inflation, increased cost of goods, and the “fry cook” being in the same economic condition he was in 3 months prior to his wage increase due to inflation.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join