It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Food Stamp Surfer now firing back at Fox News

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 29 2013 @ 11:26 AM
link   

This month’s report on Fox News about a local surfer appeared more like reality TV than news, a cartoonish portrayal of a beach bum driving an Escalade and feasting on lobster — all the while collecting food stamps courtesy of the taxpayers.

Do you remember this loser who embarrassed my city and my state?

He claims Fox News threw him under the bus. Did they?...Of course they did. What did he expect?

Greenslate does buy lobster with food stamps. (“If I’m allowed to, then why not?”) But his regular ride isn’t an Escalade — that was provided by his record label for the Fox shoot.

This guy thought it was free publicity for his band. How did that work out for him?

Greenslate said he received death threats following airing of the Fox piece. Commenters from the political left and right vilified him, with one poster to his band website saying he was trying to “soak off the system,” and another at SurferMag.com suggesting physical violence by hiring “a hit man.”

It's pretty bad when you Surfer Magazine suggests physical violence.

“If he’s going to make it big one day, I hope he pays that into the system or gives to charity.”

“I’m going to be living my dream and doing what makes me happy,” he said. “I have a goal in life, and it’s Rattlife. And if anybody doesn’t think that’s work, then go and check out our new album. You tell me that that’s not work.”

I am not against anyone that needs Food Stamps. It's a great program.

This guy still doesn't get it. It's not about his dreams or how he chooses to live.

It's about "Shame". Able body men as a matter of pride do not like to stick out their hand.

He obviously was not instilled with these values.

“(If) I came up to you, and said, ‘Hey, you want a free something because you fit in this category,’ would you say no?”

Yes Jason, I would so no. So should you. Now you are blaming the media?

“I’m going to be living my dream and doing what makes me happy,” he said. “I have a goal in life, and it’s Rattlife. And if anybody doesn’t think that’s work, then go and check out our new album. You tell me that that’s not work.”

I did check it out. That is not work. That is not music either. You can't sing. Get a real job.

I refuse to post the video....The guy already thinks he is famous...Sheesh.

I surfed these same beaches. I had long hair. I liked Rock and Roll. I had a job.

It boils down to somewhere along the line. We have lost our pride.

UT-SanDiego.com
edit on 29-8-2013 by whyamIhere because: spelling

posted on Aug, 29 2013 @ 11:44 AM
link   
ugh.
Food stamps are for people that need assistance.

If this guy can go out and work. Then he needs to go out and work.

People work and live out their dreams. It's possible.

posted on Aug, 29 2013 @ 11:47 AM
link   
If my grandfather were alive today he would have some choice words for this clown.

This guy is an example of why many folks lean to the right. As much as people want to help and support programs for those families that really need it, this is the face they see. It makes you feel like you are being scammed instead of actually helping people.

posted on Aug, 29 2013 @ 11:49 AM
link   
reply to post by whyamIhere

People get so worked up over their own countrymen getting food stamps. I say go for it, if the govt can afford to send
foreign countries billions of dollars a year, then theres nothing wrong with this dude getting a few thousand a year in food.
Personally I dont have food stamps, make too much money but I have needed them before and was glad to get them.

posted on Aug, 29 2013 @ 11:49 AM
link   
reply to post by Sharingan

Personally I dont have food stamps, make too much money but I have needed them before and was glad to get them.

I think the key word here is "needed".
The dude is a parasite.
edit on 8/29/2013 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 29 2013 @ 11:50 AM
link   
I know people around here that live in the upper crust neighborhoods..(200-300K homes) that are on link cards (that's what they're called here)..it burns me up
but they won't do anything about it...all while I sit here worrying about bills and living in my 1000sqf house..which is quite small with 4 people here..

I don't know what is wrong with people...luckily Im so anti gov that I wouldn't ask for a handout if I were starving..I would eat a cat before asking for food/money from them

posted on Aug, 29 2013 @ 11:51 AM
link   

It's about "Shame". Able body men as a matter of pride do not like to stick out their hand. He obviously was not instilled with these values.

This is clearly not the norm today, somehow they have been able make people proud of getting away with freeloading off of others, there seems to actually be a sense of PRIDE really that is what i am seeing.

Maybe it is the wonder of our freeloading government as an example.

posted on Aug, 29 2013 @ 11:52 AM
link   
I guess the thought of working instead of surfing never entered this bums mind. But seeing how he was stupid enough to trust FOX maybe he is incapable of working a job.

posted on Aug, 29 2013 @ 12:11 PM
link   
Don't hate the player, hate the game. The guys obviously not the brightest nor the most ethical by using EBT.

BUT this is supposed to be a representative democracy. Yeah, go ahead and complain about his actions but they're not illegal. You can buy 10 year old cheese, truffle oil, lobster, etc with those cards. If you want something done go get DC to reform the program or perhaps take on the credit card company(forget which one) that reaps transaction fees off this. Their guilt is far greater yet so many suckers on the hamster wheel grind their teeth when they see someone pimping the system. Its not fair but if you haven't noticed this globalized race-to-the-bottom isn't very fair at all. People are gonna get while the gettin's good.

posted on Aug, 29 2013 @ 12:15 PM
link   
Yeah he's a parasite but what are you going to do about? Jack is my guess apart from groan about it.

posted on Aug, 29 2013 @ 12:22 PM
link   
you guys cryin about the 'injustice' of guys like this being on foodstamps just arent with the times. There are some statistics floatin around that say up to 100 million ppl in the US are on food stamps or some kind of gov assistance. If thats true it couldnt possibly happen unless the gov wanted it to happen. Theres something else going on here guys.....the gov WANTS ppl to be on the dole....it requires a person to give tons of information about themselves in exchange for the services. Its a perfect way to get the tentacles of government control further and more deeply inside our lives....and it appears to be working.

posted on Aug, 29 2013 @ 12:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by Sharingan

People get so worked up over their own countrymen getting food stamps. I say go for it, if the govt can afford to send
foreign countries billions of dollars a year, then theres nothing wrong with this dude getting a few thousand a year in food.

False....taxpayers can't afford to send billions of dollars overseas in foreign aid...we need those billions of dollars here to help out the local economy!!!!

posted on Aug, 29 2013 @ 12:23 PM
link   
Oh please. I don't respect posters who can't read the story and state an opinion on the concept being reported, and not the PERSON...

Something is very wrong with people. OP how did this guy embarrass your city..? Why are you embarrassed by anything he does?

This guy committed NO crimes yet he's stupid, he gets death threats, he's this, he's that...

I swear when people start everything they say with BASIC KINDERGARTEN PRINCIPLE - "how would I feel" things will change, but I doubt that'll happen...

You guys wanna be mad at someone????? be mad at the writers of the legislation and criteria...

wtf ATS. Have some class....

ETA: I was on food stamps for 7 months this year.... OHHHHHHH..... kill me..
edit on 29-8-2013 by unphased because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 29 2013 @ 12:36 PM
link   
We are 17 Trillion dollars in debt.

This guy does not represent most of the people on Food Stamps.

However, this does represent what is wrong with the program.

And yes it is embarrassing. That taxpayers can be played for fools.

This guy is a dirt bag. I am tired of buying him lobster...

That is my opinion...You are certainly entitled to yours.

posted on Aug, 29 2013 @ 12:42 PM
link   
hopefully a wave takes him out to sea forever.

posted on Aug, 29 2013 @ 12:45 PM
link   
No worst than this guy:

Then FOX interviews him LOL:

posted on Aug, 29 2013 @ 01:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by whyamIhere
This guy is a dirt bag. I am tired of buying him lobster...

Except you're not buying him lobster. You are paying taxes. You do so because you have to. After you pay the government what you're required to pay, you have little to no say in how that money is spent.

It is the government that is buying him lobster.

And if you want to argue that I'm just playing semantics with that? Well, look at it this way:

Myself, and millions of others like me support the food stamp program. I bet if you took the tax money from my household, and every other household that supports the program, it would be more than enough to cover the funding for the program. So let's just say that my taxes go to pay for food stamps, and your taxes go to fund the military or something.

That way we can all be happy, and the people who need help can get it. Sure, there will always be some people who will abuse the system. But we shouldn't shut down a system that helps so many in need, just because of a few bad apples. Doubly so when the reason so many are in need is due to the unemployment rate and the job market, which is partly due to horrid corporatist policies that favor big corporations and screw the public.

posted on Aug, 29 2013 @ 01:12 PM
link   
reply to post by Moonsouljah

Star for the Mullet... and striking a pose fully clothed on a wet bike.

posted on Aug, 29 2013 @ 01:14 PM
link   
reply to post by iwilliam

Most sensible post in this entire thread. I always roll my eyes when i hear/see people complain about how they buy peoples cakes, candy, cokes or Sirloin steak, with their "hard earned" money when they use a SNAP card.
Just like you said, they are forced to give their money to the Govt, who then allocates it where they see fit.
I was on them for 1 year after I got laid off of a DoD contract, and I ate whatever I wanted to eat.

posted on Aug, 29 2013 @ 01:15 PM
link   
reply to post by iwilliam

I stated in the OP I supported the Food Stamp Program.

Maybe I am wrong. But I thought Food Stamps was more for emergency situations.

Seems like today it is the norm. I am not trying to end the program.

Can we have just a little oversight?

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join