It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

free college course on "Disaster Preparedness"

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 29 2013 @ 11:11 AM
link   
I am enrolled in a free college course on disaster preparedness at Coursera.org. The course in not about long term survival but it is designed for a short time from days to weeks. I am taking it to just learn more. One of the course requirements is to prepare a plan for you and your family.

Coursera.org "Disaster Preparedness" course

Course Syllabus

Disaster Preparedness: How we mitigate the effects of disasters on a personal, institutional, and governmental levels

During this course, students will gain an understanding of the Disaster Cycle, concentrating on the Mitigation Phase. They will examine disaster planning on a personal level, including developing a personal or family disaster plan. Institutional and governmental planning will be examined to gain an understanding of the process, the difficulties involved, as well as the successes and failings. Other issues to be discussed include: Attitude and Awareness, ethical considerations, violence, and compassion in light of the realities of disasters and their effects. The course will be designed to be interactive and include a great deal of input and discussion from the students.

Upon completion of this class, the student will be able to:

1.Discuss the elements of disaster preparation and response.
2.Demonstrate critical thinking in awareness, preparation and application of disaster response and management on a personal, local and national level.
3.Utilize critical thinking and psychomotor skills in the assessment of potential disaster and mass casualty situations.
4.Analyze the implementation of evidence-based, holistic, cost effective planning for disaster and mass casualty situations.
5.Analyze ethical dilemmas encountered in the specialty setting and the methods by which advanced practice nurses assist the patient, family and other health care providers with resolution.

just passing this along to those who might be interested......
edit on 29-8-2013 by fnpmitchreturns because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 29 2013 @ 11:14 AM
link   
Sounds pretty cool, unfortunately the link doesn't work and I don't have time to figure it out right now. Is there still time to enroll?

posted on Aug, 29 2013 @ 11:24 AM
link   
reply to post by TheCrimsonGhost

I fixed the link and it just started Monday, 8/26 and runs for 6 weeks .....

I am watching the first week of videos right now and there is a free book to download.

posted on Aug, 29 2013 @ 11:37 AM
link   
Wow I think that's the easiest thing I have ever signed up for, thanks again!

posted on Aug, 29 2013 @ 11:45 AM
link   
lol welcome to disaster recovery its not a course that teaches you how to live in the woods or fish when shtf lol it is simply a micro management method to prepare you for a disaster that can happen in theory! Like say you work in an office you will need to make a plan for every department a plan for replacing all equipment, a plan for contacting workers familys a plan for the data being backed up to a different location in cause the building is destroyed then you need to plan on how each department will have a duty if a disaster happens, like accounting will take head counts for people and call families to tell people about injuries, and management will call insurance companies ect

lol your in for a highly boring and bumpy ride my friend

edit on 29-8-2013 by digital01anarchy because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 29 2013 @ 12:58 PM
link   
reply to post by digital01anarchy

I am sure some parts will be boring .... but there will be info and ideas that I might not have thought of or about....... this is not a prepper course .....

Thanks for your support.....

posted on Aug, 29 2013 @ 04:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by fnpmitchreturns

I am sure some parts will be boring .... but there will be info and ideas that I might not have thought of or about....... this is not a prepper course .....

Thanks for your support.....

I have taken the course already I had to I'm in the information security field, people in the business field have to take it too. If you find a job doing DR it pays well like 80 grand a year median but its a whole lot of work first you need to factor in many different aspects. where you are! like California has earthquakes, wildfires, mudslides, flash floods ect then you need to get regional, like where in california you are lets say OC so earthquakes, wildfires, flash floods then you need to make a plan for every one of those disasters on top of the regular ones like fire drills and brownouts and blackouts, cyber threats knocking down the network, riots ect everything i have listed needs to have a plan and every department has to be evaluated based on how critical it is to the company these departments are protected first and foremost after the disaster because they need to get them up and running asap.

Your plan has to have an accounting of every person working at the company, every piece of hardware, software,paperwork, office supplies, who the company does business with, insurance companies, fire stations/police stations of your area, basically every damn thing you could think of

posted on Aug, 29 2013 @ 06:20 PM
link   

I am planning to move west .... so, this is just prep/info I felt that I needed to be exposed too. I can handle any situation but I often hear conflicting information about government and responses.... so I am just doing some general education on the "public" end of the DR field.....

I have some experience drafting up safety rules for a small construction company. Before that I never understood the detail needed to satisfy the safety plan requirements. I am approaching this kind of the same way ......
edit on 29-8-2013 by fnpmitchreturns because: add

posted on Aug, 30 2013 @ 10:42 PM
link   
But if the course already started wouldn't we have to wait a couple of months for another?

Probably an interesting course to take, keep us updated on how it progresses... I'm sure many people here would like to take it to learn a thing or two.

new topics

top topics

join