It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Man could get kicked out of his home if he gets any more “nuisance points”

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 29 2013 @ 04:13 AM
link   
Man could get kicked out of his home if he gets any more “nuisance points”

HUDSON FALLS, NY — There is a fine line between criminal nuisance and civil disobedience. However, the village of Hudson Falls, NY appears to have solved the pesky question of differentiating between the two for its citizens with the issuance of “nuisance points” for violations of its nuisance control system. While one could be forgiven for wondering what exactly a nuisance control system is, there appears to be little doubt regarding the purpose behind assessing nuisance points for violations of the village code.

As the article says - you could argue he knew the 'code' before moving in... Hmmm... Right?

Mr. Fenton has been cited for making more noise than his neighbors care to hear, failing to keep the exterior of his home’s appearance at a level acceptable to his neighbors, and, finally, for daring to exercise his right to free speech within the boundaries of his own private property.

Noisy? That's a pain and understandable. 3 point!

Substandard curb appeal? Brings down the property value of your home right? Ok, I understand that one. 3 points!

But... Exercising your right to free speech?

As Martin Luther King Jr. well knew, “One has a moral responsibility to disobey unjust laws.” If freedom is good for anything it is the ability to stand in your own yard and criticize the government as loudly as you can. The non violent nature of his protest directed specifically at the object of his disapproval harms no one. To deny the right of any man to freely express himself is toxic enough when done by the authorities in opposition to public opinion. It is an even worse evil to allow the restriction of free thought and the silencing of free speech when it is done in accordance with public approval and a nuisance control system.

Just another day in Amerika.

peace

posted on Aug, 29 2013 @ 05:08 AM
link   

(photo @ link)

peace

posted on Aug, 29 2013 @ 05:21 AM
link   
When you live in a well to do quiet leafy street , its not really acceptable to look like Early from kalifornia or be in possession of a plastic lawn chair .

posted on Aug, 29 2013 @ 06:02 AM
link   
Really? Who picks up this kind of crap?

You can exercise your freedom of speech or any other constitutional right as long as it doesn't infringe on someone else's. And more importantly, if you sign into contract you will abide by certain conditions you must abide by those conditions. This is the basis of contract law and if any clause you felt "wasn't fair" simply became null long after you signed it simply because it doesn't fit in with your "lifestyle" then contract law would cease to be effective.

If he moved into this neighbourhood and signed a contract (which many neighbourhoods and communities have nowadays) then he has absolutely no foot to stand on.

Why can't he suddenly break all the rules everyone else abides by because he feels he's being stereotyped. Maybe the original infractions were justified, as the article seems to suggest it began with a couple minor complaints and his reaction to those have escalated the situation.

I wouldn't stand in this guy's corner and I don't think he is even in the same league as MLK.

posted on Aug, 29 2013 @ 09:02 AM
link   
You gotta be stupid to buy a house in places like that..... Not only are you at the mercy of the town/village/city, you are at the mercy of busybody neighbors. It's bad enough having to go beg the town if you want to make changes of the property you "own", but running the risk that a neighbor is a complete jerkoff, who will mess with you to get some sick pleasure out of it? Eh, screw that.

posted on Aug, 29 2013 @ 09:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by TKDRL
You gotta be stupid to buy a house in places like that..... Not only are you at the mercy of the town/village/city, you are at the mercy of busybody neighbors. It's bad enough having to go beg the town if you want to make changes of the property you "own", but running the risk that a neighbor is a complete jerkoff, who will mess with you to get some sick pleasure out of it? Eh, screw that.

How many neighbourhoods must you live in with loud parties waking you up when you have work at 6am the next day, couches on the lawn on a weekend and a BBQ outside drunken screaming at cars, broken down cars strewn over the lawn, 20 cars visiting constantly and some of them decide to either park right in your driveway, or at least close enough to block your entrance, oh... those ones with a a couple guys running in and out with carrier bags when there isn't some sketchy guy just hanging out waiting for the door to open....

I'm sure I could go on and on, but yeah, for someone who barely gets to enjoy my home besides when I have family, friends or loved ones come by, I'd like to entertain them in a quiet neighbourhood, quant, and well kept. Does that make me a Nazi? Not if I and the rest of the neighbourhood decide we want a certain type of community. Just as a prim and proper socialite wouldn't fit in the ghetto, some are not made for others.

posted on Aug, 29 2013 @ 09:14 AM
link   
reply to post by boncho

Yeah, well that is why I prefer the country myself. Don't have to worry about loud neighbors, they are too far away to hear anyways. And I don't gotta worry about any neighbors calling the cops on me for noise disturbance if I want to have a loud ass party in the backyard, or put a few hundred bullets down range.

posted on Aug, 29 2013 @ 02:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by TKDRL
reply to post by boncho

Yeah, well that is why I prefer the country myself. Don't have to worry about loud neighbors, they are too far away to hear anyways. And I don't gotta worry about any neighbors calling the cops on me for noise disturbance if I want to have a loud ass party in the backyard, or put a few hundred bullets down range.

Exactly my point. Which is why you wouldn't and shouldn't move into a neighbourhood like this. And I think you should have that right just as others should have the right to form a neighbourhood that has contractual obligations to live in how they seem enjoyable or fitting.

top topics

join