It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

E cigarettes are not ciggaretts...

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 29 2013 @ 03:48 AM
link   
Getting real sick of all this anti-ecig BS i see more and more everyday. For the most part its just a religious belief that is it LOOKS like smoking so it must be dangerous like smoking so therefore it needs to be illegal. Because if its one thing that liberals hate its happy people. Sure brand yourself as "pro-choice" as long as i don't choose to smoke, choose to be fat, choose to order a large soda in some areas or choose to order a meal that gets a kid a toy with his burger.
So after seeing much of the same crap over and over which all pretty much says in one way or another "we don't know so it MUST cause cancer". I even saw one article state no studies have been done, which is a lie there have been many studies done which turn up that its not harmful. But it said there have been no studies done [blah blah blah] it is dangerous, like from all the studies they did not read they assume it is dangerous. Its like the anti-smoking[snip] ran out of battles to fight so now they need a new group to vilify and hate. They have become so successful that they have actually started shooting themselves in the foot. They have made the tobacco companies responsible for education on the dangers of smoking and they have put those nasty pictures on some packs of cigarettes to get people not to smoke. So now today, kids are actually OVERESTIMATING the dangers of smoking. Link
So if we were going to make them give real honest education about tobacco use we would actually have to tell people smoking is not as bad as you probably think. Thank you anti-tobacco people for years of your BS "every cigarette is 20min off your life because im dumber than hell". So after it was proven that smoking was bad for you they moved onto 2nd hand smoke and for the record it has never been proven that 2nd hand smoke causes cancer,
So now they are trying to do the same crap with ecigs- well they almost given up on proving that it causes cancer because they can't even make up crap showing that it does. Now they are trying to say that the 2nd hand vapor is dangerous for you. The newest thing I have been seeing is that the vapor contains formaldehyde! That is a scary sounding chemical that will scare all the healthtards into a frenzy. The articles that say this are sourcing this study
onlinelibrary.wiley.com...
Or some other article or study that sources that study. And while yes it mentions formaldehyde they all leave out this important piece of info

Ohta et al. (2011) proposed the formation of form-
aldehyde, acetaldehyde, and methylglyoxal in the
e-cigarette because of the oxidation of propylene glycol
during contact with the active heating coil. However,
continuous monitoring only showed a slight increase in
the formaldehyde concentration in the 8-m
emission
test chamber before and during the consumption of the
three
liquids
(see Table 4 and Figure 2). This might be
caused by the person in the chamber itself, because
people are known to exhale formaldehyde in low
amounts (Riess et al., 2010) and the increase was
already observed during the conditioning phase (Fig-
ure 2). Furthermore, the release of formaldehyde was
also below the limit of detection in the small-scale
experiments

Yes, the formaldehyde detected may have been caused by the person breathing in the room as it started before the vaping began and even if it was by some time travel miracle ecig, it was still below the detectable limit.

If you don't like ecigs just admit its because you are blinded by how much you don't like cigarettes, or admit that you are one of the many new people that think that all chemicals are bad because they don't come from nature or whole foods. If you don't like the smell just deal with it, i don't like the smell of crap or farts but im not crying about the health risks of inhaling the smell of crap from public restrooms or farts when im out in public.
edit on 29-8-2013 by elevatedone because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 29 2013 @ 03:57 AM
link   
hahaha! soooo true..

i hate ecigs, gimmie a real, natural tobacco cigarette any day.. if i get sick and die, so be it, at least i wont be puffing on some "technology".. xD

secondhand smoke not as harmful as the pollutants the industrial complex spews out at us, it's not as harmful as car exhaust, its not as harmful as a gun!

"if i don't smoke there's going to be secondhand bullets coming your way, i'm f***ing tense!" -bill hicks

[offensive language warning!]

edit on 29-8-2013 by tachyonmind because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 29 2013 @ 05:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by tachyonmind
i hate ecigs, gimmie a real, natural tobacco cigarette any day.. if i get sick and die, so be it, at least i wont be puffing on some "technology".. xD

Well until you are born with a ciggy hanging out of your cigarette hole, that small opening in your throat that yo uwere born with in order for a ciggy to be fixed, and use your finger to ignite the ciggy, then I'm afraid you will be relying on technology to titrate your dosage of nicotine.

Much like the e-cig does.

The difference is the e-cig attempts top remove the majority of the problems associated with smoking.. ie; the SMOKE.

Nicotine, being a highly deadly poison, can be ingested in a number of ways, but it is only via being able to titrate your dose do you find it recreational. It's a rather fine line between "Oooh that's flavour country!" and "Call the parame... morgue, he's dead." when it comes to this toxic stuff.

Apart from that, I'm with the OP. if they come after e-cigs it's plain and simple antagonistic namby bollocks. As far as I am concerned, people should be able to inject a tree if they want. No law should be there to say "Well, no, because, you know, kids and stuff.." as they throw you in prison, or a loony bin, and say it's better for society.

I can go out right now and eat an entire pig. As long as it's dead. Snout to trotter. Brains and little piggy wiggy tail. I can stuff it up my nose if I like.

That's NOT good for me. But they don't put me on a packet of bacon and say "Warning - Pigs cause winofienditus".

Yet if you want to burn a twig made out of tobacco or the pretty pointy plant, then you're some how a dick head who needs the entire weight of the medical profession, the legal profession and society as a whole to tell you off for it.

Stop complaining you guys, at least it's just annoying for you........ you don't get a criminal record out of it.

posted on Aug, 29 2013 @ 05:05 AM
link   
Dunno, I think the one that blew up in some guy's face is a cause for concern... Also my grandma had one of the batteries blow up in her handbag - not as extreme as the florida guy though.

I don't really mind what folks are choosing to put in their mouths though, as long as they're getting their oral fixation as much as I am on my tobacco then leave em be.

posted on Aug, 29 2013 @ 05:23 AM
link   
reply to post by winofiend

Nicotine, being a highly deadly poison

I was under the impression nicotine was not only not deadly but had positive benefits. Other than the fact it's highly addictive. It was my understanding it was other chems that constituted the deadly aspect of smoking. Perhaps you'd be interested to know that nicotine is used as a nootropic..
edit on 29-8-2013 by Lucid Lunacy because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 29 2013 @ 05:26 AM
link   
reply to post by Superhans

Getting real sick of all this anti-ecig BS i see more and more everyday. For the most part its just a religious belief that is it LOOKS like smoking so it must be dangerous like smoking so therefore it needs to be illegal. Because if its one thing that liberals hate its happy people.

I am getting really sick of some BS as well

posted on Aug, 29 2013 @ 05:27 AM
link   
Imagine if cancer man was puffing e-cigs.

posted on Aug, 29 2013 @ 05:44 AM
link   
Well said.!

All I hear about e-cigs are 'success' stories, i'm switching over myself next week and can't wait!

Ummmm not about the ted bundy avatar, is he your hero or something?

edit on 29/8/13 by OpenEars123 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 29 2013 @ 01:23 PM
link   
I'm going to throw in a opposing comment.

I don't like smoking since my dad was a douchebag and he smoked and died. I thank the tobacco industry for possibly partly killing him because I couldn't live with him even that I'm sure he was a good guy behind the anger outbursts and the verbal abuse.

That and the fact that smoking is bad for your health makes me dislike smoking. However I think it's fine if people want to smoke. But I don't want others to harm my health. So:

-no to second hand smoking inside buildings
-no to anti-smoking campaigns towards individuals smoking

The point on pollution is a good one. I agree with that. I'm sure you can give more examples.

posted on Aug, 29 2013 @ 02:04 PM
link   
if you use the rechargable ones, hold on to your reciept so you can take it back and exchange if you get a dud (happens once in a while).

posted on Aug, 29 2013 @ 02:18 PM
link   
I just quit with the e cigarette and it worked great. Took a little getting used to, but after that it is a great alternative. I am almost done with using it. Would highly recommend.

posted on Aug, 29 2013 @ 02:50 PM
link   
I am with you on this OP. I am also getting tired of the stares and frowns out in public maybe it is more noticeable since I quite smoking real cigs and don't expect the attitude but it sure seems that way. One person even started a thread on here complaining about second hand vap and claimed it made his wife ill. Give me a break there are some oversensitive retards running around where the placebo effect works on them way to easy. They are probably great candidates for hypnotism highly suggestible people.

posted on Aug, 29 2013 @ 04:24 PM
link   

The only problem I had with real ciaggaretts was that the smoke always seems to find its way to me... even if i changed spots.

the ecigs smells funny but the smoke doesn't chase me around.

posted on Aug, 29 2013 @ 04:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by Superhans
Getting real sick of all this anti-ecig BS i see more and more everyday. For the most part its just a religious belief that is it LOOKS like smoking so it must be dangerous like smoking so therefore it needs to be illegal. Because if its one thing that liberals hate its happy people. Sure brand yourself as "pro-choice" as long as i don't choose to smoke, choose to be fat, choose to order a large soda in some areas or choose to order a meal that gets a kid a toy with his burger.
So after seeing much of the same crap over and over which all pretty much says in one way or another "we don't know so it MUST cause cancer". I even saw one article state no studies have been done, which is a lie there have been many studies done which turn up that its not harmful. But it said there have been no studies done [blah blah blah] it is dangerous, like from all the studies they did not read they assume it is dangerous. Its like the anti-smoking retards ran out of battles to fight so now they need a new group to vilify and hate. They have become so successful that they have actually started shooting themselves in the foot. They have made the tobacco companies responsible for education on the dangers of smoking and they have put those nasty pictures on some packs of cigarettes to get people not to smoke. So now today, kids are actually OVERESTIMATING the dangers of smoking. Link
So if we were going to make them give real honest education about tobacco use we would actually have to tell people smoking is not as bad as you probably think. Thank you anti-tobacco people for years of your BS "every cigarette is 20min off your life because im dumber than hell". So after it was proven that smoking was bad for you they moved onto 2nd hand smoke and for the record it has never been proven that 2nd hand smoke causes cancer,
So now they are trying to do the same crap with ecigs- well they almost given up on proving that it causes cancer because they can't even make up crap showing that it does. Now they are trying to say that the 2nd hand vapor is dangerous for you. The newest thing I have been seeing is that the vapor contains formaldehyde! That is a scary sounding chemical that will scare all the healthtards into a frenzy. The articles that say this are sourcing this study
onlinelibrary.wiley.com...
Or some other article or study that sources that study. And while yes it mentions formaldehyde they all leave out this important piece of info

Ohta et al. (2011) proposed the formation of form-
aldehyde, acetaldehyde, and methylglyoxal in the
e-cigarette because of the oxidation of propylene glycol
during contact with the active heating coil. However,
continuous monitoring only showed a slight increase in
the formaldehyde concentration in the 8-m
emission
test chamber before and during the consumption of the
three
liquids
(see Table 4 and Figure 2). This might be
caused by the person in the chamber itself, because
people are known to exhale formaldehyde in low
amounts (Riess et al., 2010) and the increase was
already observed during the conditioning phase (Fig-
ure 2). Furthermore, the release of formaldehyde was
also below the limit of detection in the small-scale
experiments

Yes, the formaldehyde detected may have been caused by the person breathing in the room as it started before the vaping began and even if it was by some time travel miracle ecig, it was still below the detectable limit.

If you don't like ecigs just admit its because you are blinded by how much you don't like cigarettes, or admit that you are one of the many new people that think that all chemicals are bad because they don't come from nature or whole foods. If you don't like the smell just deal with it, i don't like the smell of crap or farts but im not crying about the health risks of inhaling the smell of crap from public restrooms or farts when im out in public.

Hard to take someone serious who says things like "anti cig retards". It is like listening to a high school kid rant. And you realize that people have to crap right? I don't care what you do as long as I don't have to smell it. Comparing free choice to bodily functions just shows how out of touch sound people are and just want to be mad.

posted on Aug, 29 2013 @ 05:00 PM
link   
Big Tobacco is BEHIND ALL OF THIS .
why you may ask.
the patch and Nicorette gum have been the two most common ways to quit smoking.
until the e-cigarette came along. What no one knows is, big tobacco owns a huge chunk of Nicorette and the patch. So, if you smoke or if you quit big tobacco make big money. The e cigarette belongs to a separate entity, who won't sell out.
in 2011 their sales when up to 300 million. Last year 600 million, and big tobacco isn't getting any of that. They are *pissed* off, and want to cause the e cigg guys a lot of problems.

As always , HUGE FAIL .
The key to this , is just informing the public.
I want to get one just to use with saline , for my asthma !
A portable nebulizer .
Too bad so sad big tobacco .

posted on Aug, 29 2013 @ 05:11 PM
link   
i use the ecg. many people believe that propylene glycol is the cause of much cancer and other problems. it seriously dries and wrinkles skin. it is very common in todays foods and make up

posted on Aug, 29 2013 @ 06:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by PtolemyII
Big Tobacco is BEHIND ALL OF THIS .
why you may ask.
the patch and Nicorette gum have been the two most common ways to quit smoking.
until the e-cigarette came along. What no one knows is, big tobacco owns a huge chunk of Nicorette and the patch. So, if you smoke or if you quit big tobacco make big money. The e cigarette belongs to a separate entity, who won't sell out.
in 2011 their sales when up to 300 million. Last year 600 million, and big tobacco isn't getting any of that. They are *pissed* off, and want to cause the e cigg guys a lot of problems.

As always , HUGE FAIL .
The key to this , is just informing the public.
I want to get one just to use with saline , for my asthma !
A portable nebulizer .
Too bad so sad big tobacco .

Not really, tobacco companies have jumped on board and some of them are making e cigarettes now too.

(post by Superhans removed for a manners violation)

posted on Aug, 29 2013 @ 06:18 PM
link   
Okay, look, I'm not about to suggest to someone who's never smoked, "Hey, you should start smoking!" That being said....

Cigarettes and tobacco have become THE scapegoat of the last 20 or so years. I mean, banned in most indoor venues for years now. No restaurants, bars, etc. Banned in many places 50 feet or whatever from a building. Can't smoke in your own car if you have a child with you in some places, which is ridiculous, because you're still allowed to smoke in your home with your child. Now they are starting in on apartment buildings with no smoking allowed in them.

MEANWHILE: cars run rampant in every city, much closer than "50 feet" from the building. Here in Toronto, statistics are: roughly 1080 people die each year from tobacco related causes. Roughly 950 people die each year from smog related causes. Almost equal! Yet NO ONE does ANYthing about the cars or dare talks about it.

The absolute GARBAGE that is in food, literally cancer causing chemicals all over the place, yet no one really talks about it. There are bad things everywhere that NO ONE talks about. That's why I say smoking is the scapegoat. It's like everyone is subconsciously taking everything they should be saying about everything, and directing it at smoking.

Smoking is ONE thing. When you think about it, you smoke something, it's smoke, a vapor. Your body will dispose of it MUCH faster than any cancer causing things it EATS, and that is a fact. Sugar FEEDS cancer cells and yet it's in EVERYTHING. Why isn't there "sugar causes cancer" on all chocolate bars? Really, why not????

I am so tired of people assuming that just because I smoke, they're healthier than I am. I eat organic, work out 2 hours a day, bike everywhere, swim, run, take vitamins. But oh, I smoke, so I'm so much unhealthier than you are as you sit there eating garbage chips and chocolate bars, unable to climb a flight of stairs.

PLEASE!

posted on Aug, 29 2013 @ 07:11 PM
link   

That would tend to infringe on the original patent I am sure, so they're probably not as good as the one raking in 600 million a year now
edit on 8/29/13 by PtolemyII because: (no reason given)

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join