It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

DISQUS is Censoring Posts

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:
+7 more 
posted on Aug, 29 2013 @ 02:05 AM
link   
Hello ATS, I had mentioned this in comments over the past several months; so here is a thread.

DISQUS is censoring posts. This service is used across a wide variety of sites, and often displays the message "checking post content" or something to that effect. I doubt that they have enough staff to check every single post, but there IS definitely enough staff to go through and double check the things that do get through.

Posters on CNN have begun to realize this and are talking about it; one user mentions how he feels the post will be deleted in a few hours.

Reddit appears to be doing something similar.

What a great way for corporations to gather information and form public opinion eh?

Qua Qua Qua.

+2 more 
posted on Aug, 29 2013 @ 02:47 AM
link   
Oh it has happened to me. But only at CNN that I have noticed. If it involves the Obama admin doing anything bad, out it goes to the trash bin...

posted on Aug, 29 2013 @ 05:15 AM
link   
Wait, you mean a comment feature that is across many websites, is somehow censoring what some people say?

Are you sure? I've never heard of anyone being censored on comments on the internet before.

Scary and new...

posted on Aug, 29 2013 @ 05:23 AM
link   
reply to post by winofiend

"Moderated"

There are you happy?

It is, at times, merely a matter of semantics.
edit on 29-8-2013 by teachtaire because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 29 2013 @ 05:28 AM
link   
I have noticed this. anything to the truth gets censored.

posted on Aug, 29 2013 @ 05:32 AM
link   
Whats that old saying
'If you cant say anything nice ,dont say anything at all'
Fair call

posted on Aug, 29 2013 @ 05:35 AM
link   
reply to post by teachtaire

"Moderated"

There are you happy?

It is, at times, merely a matter of semantics.

All popular websites are moderated........ATS is moderated, it's up to the site owners what content they want to display/endorse.

What sort of comments are being moderated?....remember there are plenty of websites out there who's owners have political bias.

posted on Aug, 29 2013 @ 06:18 AM
link   
reply to post by 12voltz

And if you can't tell the truth we'll tell it for you!!!!

They're choosing what truth is told and what truth isn't...that's called censorship and brainwashing!

posted on Aug, 29 2013 @ 09:38 AM
link   
I got an email from disqus.com saying I had to verify my email.

I haven't commented on any other sites than here

I ignored it, because I didn't know who or what they are.
Still not really understanding - comments go through them somehow?
How (and why) did they email me?

posted on Aug, 29 2013 @ 09:47 AM
link   
DISQUS is an interactive plugin used by a lot of corporate news websites.

That's all it is. DISQUS doesn't monitor comments posted on CNN, CNN does. You think a contractor from DISQUS would know the criteria for CNN or any other sites moderation?

I watch CNN.com pretty much 12 hours a day (that's where I get breaking news before I research the story alternatively) and I've noticed the uptick in comment moderation.

Watching this occur more frequently, I could only come to two conclusions:

1) CNN has added more moderators.

2) More govt shills have been added to news media/social networking programs, and are "reporting abuse" a lot more now.

After 3 strikes of a "report abuse" (flag) on a DISQUS platform is when they display "awaiting moderation" as opposed to the comment.

I'm more inclined to option 2. I blame shills for this one.
edit on 29-8-2013 by unphased because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 29 2013 @ 10:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by unphased
DISQUS is an interactive plugin

I wonder who owns and controls discus. I would not surprise me in the least if this company was owned or controlled by the "company".

posted on Aug, 29 2013 @ 10:28 AM
link   
This is what people get when they outsource even the very basic services and interactive features of their own websites. It's sad to see and predictable for outcome. It really is....

...how much more difficult would it have been to run a local database driven comment system? Perhaps a few days work to tweak and re-code an existing solution to tailor for each major site doing it? Properly done, it would mean coding a new system. A hardship for a little guy like me ...but CNN? lol....

Centralize, Control and Index. The 3 words that drive everything in our world and our nation right now. Central Services mean Central Control. They do excel at that right now.....even on casual comments across a website story.

I'm glad I never used Disqus on one of my sites beyond a very short and very unhappy trial the owner insisted be tried. Well.... It was. Past tense.

posted on Aug, 29 2013 @ 10:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by juspassinthru

Originally posted by unphased
DISQUS is an interactive plugin

I wonder who owns and controls discus. I would not surprise me in the least if this company was owned or controlled by the "company".

Entire employee directory available at Disqus site. CEO is Daniel Ha.

After seeing the staff list, I doubt even more now that any of their (very few) employees are moderators.

Like I said, this isn't on DISQUS.. It's like blaming tweetdeck for deleting your twitter posts.
edit on 29-8-2013 by unphased because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 29 2013 @ 11:36 AM
link   
whats more problematic than censoring is what those sites are collecting about the posters....imagine a flagging system that is combined with the IP address of the poster and all of that building an online profile of this person across websites to be submitted to the alphabet agencies? Thats what i think is going on....

use a vpn and/or proxy chains and other obfuscation techniques to reduce your online fingerprint...unless of course you dont care about being profiled

posted on Aug, 29 2013 @ 11:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by instigatah
whats more problematic than censoring is what those sites are collecting about the posters....imagine a flagging system that is combined with the IP address of the poster and all of that building an online profile of this person across websites to be submitted to the alphabet agencies? Thats what i think is going on....

use a vpn and/or proxy chains and other obfuscation techniques to reduce your online fingerprint...unless of course you dont care about being profiled

Generally, DISQUS is linked with your facebook acct. Even less complicated to track.

Other DISQUS credentials include email registration through DISQUS, or any format created and set aside by the sites developers...

posted on Aug, 29 2013 @ 01:13 PM
link   
I use DISQUS all the time on various sites I've never had my comments deleted or anything that i'm aware of. But then i don't waste my time with CNN either.

posted on Aug, 29 2013 @ 02:12 PM
link   

a question - is DISQUS actually " cencoring posts " or enforcing a terms of service [ which posters agree to by posting ]

posted on Aug, 30 2013 @ 12:16 AM
link   
Its been happening to me more lately as well. I saw this one comment where one guy had to Type "F*ast and F*urious because the words where being censored. That's really ridiculous.

posted on Aug, 30 2013 @ 11:00 AM
link   
CNN=Communist News Network.

Everyone at that place is on the CIA's payroll.

posted on Aug, 30 2013 @ 11:03 AM
link   

You care to post any sources for this information or are we just supposed to take your word for it? I mean I can just as easily say that the moderators at CNN are removing the posts.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join