It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

We may all be Martians: New research supports theory that life started on Mars

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 29 2013 @ 04:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by Phage
Except that it took about about 4.2 billion years for dinosaurs to appear on Earth.
Mars has been a very dry place for at least 1-2 billion years so unless evolution worked a whole lot faster on Mars, it's not likely that any dinosaurs were walking around on it.

Well those are the two scientific theories concerning how long it took for dinosaurs to appear on planet Earth, and how long Mars has been a very dry place. "about" is very interesting. How convenient of a measuring tool you Scientists (who I respect a lot for what you have given this World) seem to have?

It just brings us back to you and I's former argument about reckless speculation that sometimes, and I repeat sometimes, runs rampant in your field of work. Look, 4.2 billion years? Or 1-2 billion years, Really Phage? I mean what is the margin of error for those calculations anyway, I would love to hear about them my friend?

Here are the facts, We / you guys don't know how long it took for the Dinosaurs to appear here on Earth. Nor do we / you guys know how long Mars has been dry, we have only landed Rovers there. I would even go so far as to say that we / you guys do not even know for sure how old planet Earth is, but I would bet you're closer concerning her age cause well, You're here on planet Earth conducting your studies.

I understand that scientists use calculations in regards to finding out how long it took the Earth to cool from it's original molten state, and that the earlier conclusions were in the millions but now has shifted to the billions because of the result of the more modern methods that now focus on the decay of atoms of one chemical element changing into another and all that jazz, yes I have read about it.

I don't know all the Science behind it like you, cause I am not a scientist. However I see no concrete evidence is all I am trying to say. Without a doubt I do not see it when it comes down to how long Mars has been dry, as well as how long it took for the Dinosaurs to evolve here on Earth. Some of it is based on theory. Which concludes = Reckless speculation my friend, reckless sPECULATION. Oh, and in the billions.
~$heopleNation

posted on Aug, 29 2013 @ 04:45 PM
link   
What a kick in the pants it would be , to find out earth was the colony .lol

posted on Aug, 29 2013 @ 06:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by SheopleNation
I understand that scientists use calculations in regards to finding out how long it took the Earth to cool from it's original molten state, and that the earlier conclusions were in the millions ...

For those who have not read about it, this was a simple experiment but the best that one could do in the 1860's. It involved heating up some steel balls of various sizes to a red hot temperature, and timing how long they take to cool.
Then, you extrapolate this massively to a ball the size of the earth, and calculate how long it would cool if it started out red hot, just like the little steel balls did.
Not an accurate method, but Lord Kelvin should be applauded for trying it. 1862.

...more modern methods that now focus on the decay of atoms of one chemical element changing into another

Yes, radiometric dating.

But also, it affected Lord Kelvin's experimental result of 20-400 million years because radioactivity had not yet been discovered, and thus he could not possibly know of the extra heat generated by it.

edit on 29-8-2013 by alfa1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 29 2013 @ 06:34 PM
link   
reply to post by PtolemyII

Here is 1968 sci fi movie with just that premise

5 MILLION YEARS TO EARTH (Also known as QUATERMASS AND THE PIT)

Enjoy

viooz.co...

posted on Aug, 29 2013 @ 06:55 PM
link   

We may all be Martians

Regardless of where my ancestors may have came from, I am an American.
Like it or not, I have to accept it as a fact.

posted on Aug, 29 2013 @ 07:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by firefight
reply to post by PtolemyII

Here is 1968 sci fi movie with just that premise

5 MILLION YEARS TO EARTH (Also known as QUATERMASS AND THE PIT)

Enjoy

viooz.co...

Is that the movie with the frozen martian crickets,or something to that ?

posted on Aug, 29 2013 @ 07:06 PM
link   
reply to post by kdog1982

That's the one.
"Jumping! Jumping!"

posted on Aug, 29 2013 @ 07:10 PM
link   
reply to post by Phage

LOL!! Phage,you make me wonder sometimes.

posted on Aug, 29 2013 @ 07:27 PM
link   
One thing I love is we can both learn and have fun.It's all about the love. The love for discovering new things beyond the capacity of those normal folks.You know what I am talking about.

Speaking in regards to the members of ATS.

So,back on topic.

If the theory is true about Mars and Earth,then it would seem to me that life is abundant in the universe,it just has to find the right stuff to continue on and grow.

The blocks are there,the environment is the key.

Earth was just there at the right time,Mars was this old guy limping along.

posted on Aug, 29 2013 @ 07:30 PM
link   

It's also fascinating that the amino acids which comprise DNA are found in space. Leads to the possibility that most (if not all) life may be DNA coded just as it is on Earth.

posted on Aug, 29 2013 @ 07:43 PM
link   

It's also fascinating that the amino acids which comprise DNA are found in space. Leads to the possibility that most (if not all) life may be DNA coded just as it is on Earth.

The question I pose is, how the the coding happen? Is it a natural phenomenon,or is it by some other source.
edit on 29-8-2013 by kdog1982 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 29 2013 @ 07:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by kdog1982

The question I pose,is,where there that coding come from? Natural or other.

No reason it can't be natural.
www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Aug, 29 2013 @ 07:53 PM
link   
reply to post by Phage

No reason it can't be natural.
www.abovetopsecret.com...

I tend to agree with you on that level.

It is what it is,there is no mystery behind it.

Just like mathematics. It is simple and true.

posted on Aug, 29 2013 @ 08:18 PM
link   
Fascinating! Thanks for the post!

It's really interesting to think, if this is true... and we're not far (technically) from possibly going to Mars.. That going there could be a home coming... Goosebumps.

posted on Aug, 29 2013 @ 09:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by kdog1982

Originally posted by EA006

Maybe they were more advanced than us so if survivors made it to earth then they could still be here?

The are basically saying the building blocks for life could have come from Mars.

My question is how did those blocks get to Mars?

I'm guessing....someone from Virginia.

posted on Aug, 29 2013 @ 09:42 PM
link   
reply to post by Phage

'life as we know it' you mean

posted on Aug, 29 2013 @ 10:08 PM
link   
reply to post by Lady_Tuatha

No.
With the apparent ubiquity of amino acids even life as we don't know it could be given a head start. DNA does a very good job of what it does.

edit on 8/29/2013 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 29 2013 @ 10:18 PM
link   

reply to post by SheopleNation

Think about this, Dinosaurs could have existed on Mars.

Except that it took about about 4.2 billion years for dinosaurs to appear on Earth.
Mars has been a very dry place for at least 1-2 billion years so unless evolution worked a whole lot faster on Mars, it's not likely that any dinosaurs were walking around on it.

Originally posted by alfa1

I understand that scientists use calculations in regards to finding out how long it took the Earth to cool from it's original molten state, and that the earlier conclusions were in the millions ...

For those who have not read about it, this was a simple experiment but the best that one could do in the 1860's. It involved heating up some steel balls of various sizes to a red hot temperature, and timing how long they take to cool.
Then, you extrapolate this massively to a ball the size of the earth, and calculate how long it would cool if it started out red hot, just like the little steel balls did.
Not an accurate method, but Lord Kelvin should be applauded for trying it. 1862.

...more modern methods that now focus on the decay of atoms of one chemical element changing into another

Yes, radiometric dating.

But also, it affected Lord Kelvin's experimental result of 20-400 million years because radioactivity had not yet been discovered, and thus he could not possibly know of the extra heat generated by it.

edit on 29-8-2013 by alfa1 because: (no reason given)

funny how alfa brings this up and then doesn't follow through with the logical deduction...

seeing as :

Mars has approximately half the diameter of Earth. It is less dense than Earth, having about 15% of Earth's volume and 11% of the mass. Its surface area is only slightly less than the total area of Earth's dry land.[6] While Mars is larger and more massive than Mercury, Mercury has a higher density. This results in the two planets having a nearly identical gravitational pull at the surface – that of Mars is stronger by less than 1%

doesn't it follow that Mars cooled WWWAAAAAYYYY earlier than earth, like billions of years earlier?

in addition martian evolution would in no wise or way follow the same paths/time-spans/adaptations
as earth.

hmmmm?

posted on Aug, 29 2013 @ 10:26 PM
link   

reply to post by Lady_Tuatha

No.
With the apparent ubiquity of amino acids even life as we don't know it could be given a head start. DNA does a very good job of what it does.

The code for life.

DNA is the instruction manual.

Amino acids are the lego blocks.

Without the instructions,I could attempt to build the star trek enterprise from the picture,but with out the step by step instructions,it would look like a model-t Ford. At best.
edit on 29-8-2013 by kdog1982 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 29 2013 @ 10:30 PM
link   
reply to post by TheMagus

doesn't it follow that Mars cooled WWWAAAAAYYYY earlier than earth, like billions of years earlier?

No.
They both formed about 4.5 billion years ago, along with the rest of the Solar System. Taking into account the bombardment of the planets by other bodies in the early solar system, no. Not billions of years earlier. A few hundreds of millions perhaps but that doesn't let early life develop very far.

It took the first life about 0.7 billion years to show up on Earth. That tells us that the Earth had pretty much cooled down by then.

Mars may have had a bit of a head start (but it sort of tripped about half way down the course when it lost most of its water and atmosphere). But not enough to allow much time for higher life forms to evolve. It took about 4 billion years for the first plants to show up on Earth. Mars was dried out long before that.

in addition martian evolution would in no wise or way follow the same paths/time-spans/adaptations
as earth.
Not the same path, certainly. But why do you think it would proceed at a much faster rate, especially in its early stages?

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join