It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

We may all be Martians: New research supports theory that life started on Mars

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 28 2013 @ 10:48 PM
link   
BBC

Long-lived bacteria, reproducing only once every 10,000 years, have been found in rocks 2.5km (1.5 miles) below the ocean floor that are as much as 100 million years old.

Viruses and fungi have also been found.

The discoveries raise questions about how life persists in such extreme conditions.

Like that...

posted on Aug, 29 2013 @ 07:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by Aliensun
Fine! this new theory--and we can only call it that--lends credence to the concept that there was not just life but intelligent life on Mars. The next question is why are we here and they are apparently gone? We could suggest that a natural degeneration of an atmosphere on Mars slowly killed on life there and in some fashion life was transferred here. Or we could wonder if that perhaps they was an event that made Mars inhospitable in short order.

It's nothing like this at all. This theory (or at minimum, hypothesis) has been around for awhile now, and a few scientists have been working on it. It's is not saying that there was a race of space fearing humans or creatures or anything on mars, only that a building block for life made it here from there:

an oxidized mineral form of the element molybdenum, which may have been crucial to the origin of life, could only have been available on the surface of Mars and not on Earth. "In addition", said Professor Benner "recent studies show that these conditions, suitable for the origin of life, may still exist on Mars."

Read more at: phys.org...

In my limited way, I maintain that technologically intelligent being of Mars caused their own planet to suffer by bringing a captured asteroid in too close and due to a colossal accident or great miscalculation, the body fell to the surface, starting a swift planetary decline. The survivors came to Earth.
Yeah... That's a lot of Jules Verne and total misunderstanding of what this article is actually talking about.

Think more like a comet hitting the planet, intergalactic mud flying away, eventually setting down on Earth...

edit on 29-8-2013 by boncho because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 29 2013 @ 07:36 AM
link   
Interesting topic, but it still doesn't answer the question how did life begin. Did it start on Mars or is there another link in the chain?

posted on Aug, 29 2013 @ 09:59 AM
link   
I don't doubt some form of life existed/exists on Mars and may have contaminated earth a long time ago.. but what I do doubt is that there was any intelligent life.. it would most likely have been microscopic life.

There's no indication of a previous civilization on Mars.. there are no buildings or structures of any kind unless you are to believe people who are imagining buildings by staring at a blurry photo and convincing themselves they are seeing someone.

It's entirely possible though that Mars contained some of the essential ingredients for life and that Earth was just more suitable to cultivate that into what we are now.

posted on Aug, 29 2013 @ 10:01 AM
link   
Men are from Mars. Women are from Venus.

posted on Aug, 29 2013 @ 10:07 AM
link   
Could this be how our blood became iron based? The metal would serve as blueprint. The origional "clay" could have been red soil from Mars. Considering that iron is found in abundance on the surface of Mars, it is a strong possibility. Could the mysterious Red Rain of India be martian based?

posted on Aug, 29 2013 @ 10:09 AM
link   
reply to post by kdog1982

Dont know how I didnt see this thread! I posted another one sorry, I added the link to this one in my thread.

Here is some more links from news sources

Link 1
Link2

I think it is just awesome! To think our molecules came the whole way from Mars

posted on Aug, 29 2013 @ 10:25 AM
link   

I don't know if this has been posted yet, but just let me be the first to do so if it hasn't.

It's one of the Spirit Science video's, but this one is about the human history, where the author mentions that the Martians came here during the Lemurian/Atlantis epoch, and began to take over with their male-dominated thinking. They were forced to come to Earth because of their aggressive warring on their own planet, they blew their atmosphere. The Mars face of cydonia, and the other surrounding structures were part of their pyramid-like building complexes...

Pretty fascinating, I'd give it a watch just for the mind-opener, even if you don't completely believe everything it details.

posted on Aug, 29 2013 @ 10:32 AM
link   
reply to post by VeritasAequitas

Actually there some African tribes who claim to be from Mars. There oral history of how they came to Earth warrents investigation. The first Egyptians (Khemit) were Nubians. Consider that pyramids have been found on Mars and Earth. Some traditions claim that Mars and Earth were in communication a very long time ago. There is so much information we have lost to time.

posted on Aug, 29 2013 @ 10:58 AM
link   

Maybe racial memory is the reason some of us KNOW there is life on mars.

posted on Aug, 29 2013 @ 11:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by kdog1982

Originally posted by EA006

Maybe early humans colonised Mars, they got wiped on Earth then Mars and somehow "life" made it back? Are Earth and Mars the same age?

Dude,we are talking about molecules,not complete creatures,not even to say advanced beings.
Lets get on the same page,ok?

1+1=2

Maybe they will look more seriously at fossil looking rocks now.

There are Marsanimals...Marsamals for short.

nymag.com...
edit on 29-8-2013 by Char-Lee because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 29 2013 @ 11:26 AM
link   
As someone who does NOT believe in a bearded man who choose earth from a trillion of trillion planets to create life exclusively - I have always believed that life is universal and I also always believed that Mars is an "ancient" Earth. (I mean we have evidence for this!)

While still a fascinating idea that life could have come from there (or from who knows where else, or brought in via microbes on meteorites).....the idea/theory is also, in a strange way irrelevant.

(It doesn't really matter really, Mars is a planet, so is Earth....circumstances changed in billions of years..planets become inhabitable...suns burn out etc..etc... doesn't change the fact that in my opinion life is UNIVERSAL)

It would only be "astonishing" or outrageous for those who have reason to be believe that Earth is unique amongst the zillions of planets in the universe, for someone who was/is interested in astronomy since I was a little kid the idea didn't even cross my mind anyway, it's absurd. Planets also have life-spans, they can't harbor life forever.

posted on Aug, 29 2013 @ 01:15 PM
link   
www.abovetopsecret.com...

Evidence Of Ancient Life On Mars?, page 1

posted on Aug, 29 2013 @ 02:56 PM
link   
Mars may have seeds earth.. Cool. Too all those doin these what happened to life on mars posts... This very article says mars was struck by a celestial object large enough to send to chunks to hit the earth. Keep in mind earths atmosphere burns up all the little chunks that come our way. Think of this for a bit ...

posted on Aug, 29 2013 @ 03:25 PM
link   

Agree the odds are high and the next logical thought is that cross contamination could have happened a number of times- maybe even with the moon as well. I know this is only microbial, but we are finding bugs in more and more extreme places e.g. in boiling flumes under water.

I do wonder if NASA did find evidence, got all excited and then "bottled it".

posted on Aug, 29 2013 @ 03:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by miniatus
I don't doubt some form of life existed/exists on Mars and may have contaminated earth a long time ago.. but what I do doubt is that there was any intelligent life.. it would most likely have been microscopic life.

We don't know yet if intelligent life existed on Mars, I believe it did at one time. What is important is to keep an open mind about the possibility. Think about this, Dinosaurs could have existed on Mars.

When we look at the surface here on planet Earth, we don't see Dinosaur fossils, other than in rare cases. They have to be excavated, and we have yet to excavate at any real depth, other than a few inches with our Rovers on Mars. So the question still remains.

That is why we humans must travel to Mars ourselves if we are to truly find out if anything other than microscopic life existed there. ~$heopleNation

posted on Aug, 29 2013 @ 03:52 PM
link   
reply to post by SheopleNation

Think about this, Dinosaurs could have existed on Mars.

Except that it took about about 4.2 billion years for dinosaurs to appear on Earth.
Mars has been a very dry place for at least 1-2 billion years so unless evolution worked a whole lot faster on Mars, it's not likely that any dinosaurs were walking around on it.

posted on Aug, 29 2013 @ 04:19 PM
link   
Wild assumptions here. I enjoy that.

The study itself is interesting. I thought there was a theory that meteors were needed for life on earth. This seems similar.

Ah yes:

www.physics.org...

I was thinking of water.

posted on Aug, 29 2013 @ 04:27 PM
link   
reply to post by Phage

And who says they are not still there?

Damned cleaver animals, Dinosaurs, they hide you know! Haha.

posted on Aug, 29 2013 @ 04:30 PM
link   
reply to post by Phage

You just crushed my dreams about martian dinosaurs, thanks Phage.
There isn't even the tiniest fraction of possibility? The smallest hint of potential that dinosaurs, or at least a martian equivalent, could have evolved and died out on Mars long before this modern age?
Let your imagination soar!
edit on 29-8-2013 by Thorneblood because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join