It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Scientists grow "mini human brains" from stem cells

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 28 2013 @ 05:04 PM
link   
SOURCE

LONDON (Reuters) - Scientists have grown the first mini human brains in a laboratory and say their success could lead to new levels of understanding about the way brains develop and what goes wrong in disorders like schizophrenia and autism.

posted on Aug, 28 2013 @ 05:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by dominicus
SOURCE

LONDON (Reuters) - Scientists have grown the first mini human brains in a laboratory and say their success could lead to new levels of understanding about the way brains develop and what goes wrong in disorders like schizophrenia and autism.

I heard they'd done this with Mouse brain stem cells..didn't know they'd done it with Human cells though.

Could be handy as a therapy for repairing damaged brain tissue after accident or disease.

posted on Aug, 28 2013 @ 05:10 PM
link   
I picture a brain computer network with the emotional element removed from these "mini brains" programed to advance and continue the profit of the machine.

Skynet.....

posted on Aug, 28 2013 @ 05:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by Agent008
I picture a brain computer network with the emotional element removed from these "mini brains" programed to advance and continue the profit of the machine.

Skynet.....

Take that further and add these basic brains to android bodies and your analogy is complete.

posted on Aug, 28 2013 @ 05:19 PM
link   
reply to post by dominicus

Do anti abortionists have an issue with destroy a human brain when they are done experimenting on it I wonder, since they are against aborting a fetus that has no brain yet? Does the little brian have a personality.

posted on Aug, 28 2013 @ 05:20 PM
link   
reply to post by dominicus

beat you to it ;-)

thread

It is amazing though, im all for it

posted on Aug, 28 2013 @ 05:37 PM
link   
reply to post by Char-Lee

Yeah, are these living, thinking things? Do they have personality? I suppose they'll say they don't or can't, but then I'm reminded of a lot philosophies that say even trees or the moss that grows on them has a spirit/energy.
I know this is science, not philosophy or religion, but it makes me wonder...
I think of Jeff Goldblum's famous line from Jurrasic Park, "I'm saying that nature, ummmm.. Finds a way."
edit on 8/28/2013 by ItCameFromOuterSpace because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 28 2013 @ 06:02 PM
link   
reply to post by ItCameFromOuterSpace

Do they have a soul, consciousness? Interesting yet scary thought.

posted on Aug, 28 2013 @ 06:05 PM
link   
Hey if we all chipped in, maybe we could buy one of these for Miley Cyrus?

posted on Aug, 28 2013 @ 06:12 PM
link   

Skynet.....

We have a winner!!!!!!! Ding ding ding ding.

That's why I didn't say anything in the OP, was waiting for somebody else to conclude that we are now living during a time where we are witnessing the beginning pieces being constructed that will eventually form skynet

posted on Aug, 28 2013 @ 06:27 PM
link   
The USS Voyager had biogel packs that made up part of the on board computer. The computer could literally get a real, biological "virus". It was stated in the show that the inclusion of biology into the circuitry made for faster processing.

Who knows, someday we might have biological components in our computers!

posted on Aug, 28 2013 @ 07:03 PM
link   
Sorry to burst the science propaganda bubble again BUT they did not grow a mini brain.
All they did was in two months grow 4 millimeters (0.16 inches) neuroectoderm tissue which is a long way from resembling anything like the detailed and functioning complex structure of a fully developed human brain.

Instead of hype you linked to the truth is:
Scientists have now used stem cells to create lumps of neuroectoderm cells calling them “cerebral organoids” .
These smaller than pea-sized lumps of human brain tissue tissues are made of human brain tissue but are NOT even considered by scientists to be mini brains.
Its the media hype and it gets you every time.

posted on Aug, 28 2013 @ 07:10 PM
link   
reply to post by BDBinc

Use your imagination and have some fun.

MINI BRAINS for all!!!!

posted on Aug, 28 2013 @ 07:15 PM
link   

reply to post by BDBinc

Use your imagination and have some fun.

MINI BRAINS for all!!!!

NOM NOM NOM.

Zombie bait anyone?!

posted on Aug, 28 2013 @ 07:28 PM
link   
Yes thats exactly it IMAGINATION.
NO mini brains have been created so please stop lying/"imagining".

posted on Aug, 28 2013 @ 08:10 PM
link   
reply to post by BDBinc

NOM NOM Brainsss!!!!

posted on Aug, 28 2013 @ 11:52 PM
link   
Even if it isn't a functional brain or a pea sized brain, a simple brain cell would be nice, and they should be given out to all those on Capitol Hill. Paid for with tax dollars of course.

top topics

join