It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Bubonic Plague Scare - Kyrgyzstan - Asia

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 28 2013 @ 04:58 PM
link   
Hi there.

At first we had flu... Then we had painfull swelling...

According to the MSM there has been a death due to Bubonic Plauge.

Health officials fear an outbreak of bubonic plague in central Asia after a teenage boy died from the disease and three more were admitted to hospital in Kyrgyzstan. Temirbek Isakunov, a 15-year-old from a mountain village near the border with Kazakhstan, reportedly died from the disease last week after eating an infected barbecued marmot. Kyrgyzstan's emergency ministry said a young woman and two children from a different village who came into contact with Isakunov were hospitalised on Tuesday with the high fever and swelling around the neck and armpits characteristic of bubonic plague, local news outlets reported.

Source Guardian

The Black death. This was a major subject in my School days here in the UK.

The old Ring-A-Ring-A-Rosies rhyme was also a common feature of the play ground.

What is striking is that there have been strict precautions following the death of the boy.

His body was cremated and remains where handled cautiously.

There are conflicting reports concerning how the Plague was contracted -

Issakunov is thought to have died after being bitten by an infected flea while he herded livestock in a remote village in the north east of Kyrgyzstan – a mountainous country in central Asia. Initial reports that he died after eating a barbecued marmot are believed to be false.

Link -

[url=http://independent.co.uk/life-style/health-and-families/health-news/black-death-returns-herder-dies-of-bubonic-plague-in-kyrgyzstan-after-being-b itten-by-infected-flea-8785775.html]

Other Link -

[url:=http://mobile.news.com.au/world-news/teenager-dies-of-bubonic-plague-in-kyrgyzstan/story-fndir2ev-1226705000807]

[url=http://wikipedia.org/wiki/Bubonic_plague

Just to scare you, its estimated the Black Plague killed 75 - 200 million people in the 14 centuary.

In 1665 it killed upto 100,000 people in London alone.

Even in my town of Swansea, South Wales, there's supposedly victims burried in Lead coffins at St Marys church 12ft underground from centurys back, which some Archaeologists wanted to Exume..

But were stopped due to fear of the plague returning.

Don't let the bed bugs bite.

eee.
edit on 28/8/13 by Esrom Escutcheon Esquire because: Links... Must learn to Link!

posted on Aug, 28 2013 @ 05:02 PM
link   
A very nasty bug and bacteruim....... and a genuine reason to BAN cats...!!!

Transmission
The plague bacteria can be transmitted to humans in the following ways:

Flea bites. Plague bacteria are most often transmitted by the bite of an infected flea. During plague epizootics, many rodents die, causing hungry fleas to seek other sources of blood. People and animals that visit places where rodents have recently died from plague are at risk of being infected from flea bites. Dogs and cats may also bring plague-infected fleas into the home. Flea bite exposure may result in primary bubonic plague or septicemic plague.

Contact with contaminated fluid or tissue. Humans can become infected when handling tissue or body fluids of a plague-infected animal. For example, a hunter skinning a rabbit or other infected animal without using proper precautions could become infected with plague bacteria. This form of exposure most commonly results in bubonic plague or septicemic plague.

Infectious droplets. When a person has plague pneumonia, they may cough droplets containing the plague bacteria into air. If these bacteria-containing droplets are breathed in by another person they can cause pneumonic plague. Typically this requires direct and close contact with the person with pneumonic plague. Transmission of these droplets is the only way that plague can spread between people. This type of spread has not been documented in the United States since 1924, but still occurs with some frequency in developing countries. Cats are particularly susceptible to plague, and can be infected by eating infected rodents. Sick cats pose a risk of transmitting infectious plague droplets to their owners or to veterinarians. Several cases of human plague have occurred in the United States in recent decades as a result of contact with infected cats.

Lets hope it's contained....

PDUK
edit on 28-8-2013 by PurpleDog UK because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 28 2013 @ 05:16 PM
link   
reply to post by Esrom Escutcheon Esquire

I lived in Northern Arizona where cases of bubonic plague sometimes happened every year. Plague usually crops up in more rural areas where there's an increased likelihood of exposure via wild animals. 1 death or even 3 cases does not a pandemic make. Some graphs from the CDC indicating prevalence and year by year numbers of cases within the US alone on this link:
www.cdc.gov...

Iow, I would say that the news piece is just that--"scare" but you forgot to add "tactics" at the end.

posted on Aug, 28 2013 @ 05:41 PM
link   

Just to scare you, its estimated the Black Plague killed 75 - 200 million people in the 14 centuary.

In 1665 it killed upto 100,000 people in London alone.

Just to un-frighten everyone, the only reason it hit numbers like that was because of poor hygiene and health practices of those times, it's much harder for it to kill people in the modern world. Unless you throw in third world conditions...

link   
reply to post by WhiteAlice

Hi there.

I done a quick search on Travel Advice to UK residents.

This is a link to our Goverments site -

Travel Advice

Hope link works, but here's a quote -

On 26 August 2013 the Health Ministry of Kyrgyzstan confirmed that a teenager had died of bubonic plague in the Ak-Suu district in Issyk-Kul region in north- eastern Kyrgyzstan. Checkpoints have been set up in the region to contain the disease. Take care if you travel to the Oblasts (Provinces) of Osh, Batken and Jalal-Abad. See Local travel The Kyrgyz/Uzbek and Kyrgyz/Tajik borders are subject to closure without notice. There have been a number of security incidents in the Kyrgyz/Uzbek border region. See Local travel There is a British Embassy in Bishkek. However, the British Embassy Office in Almaty, Kazakhstan is responsible for providing consular assistance to British nationals in Kyrgyzstan. If you need consular assistance while you are in Kyrgyzstan, you should contact the consular section at the British Embassy Office, Almaty.

Also, the health standerds in Krygyzstan are probably not quite the same as Arizona.

Acording to The old Wiki population figures The province has about 62,000 with 6.3 people per SqK.

Here is another link following death -

dailymail

Anyway, here is the striking point with a quote from The Independant.

Issakunov died last week, but tests on his body have
only just revealed his cause of death to be bubonic
plague.
Tolo Isakov, an official from Kyrgyzstan’s health
ministry, said teams of pest control agents have been
sent into the area to kill rats and other rodents that may
be harbouring the disease.
He added that around 2,000 local people face
compulsory tests to see if they are infected with bubonic
plague, with antibiotics prescribed to anyone suffering
its symptoms.

[url=http://independent.co.uk/life-style/health-and-families/health-news/black-death-returns-herder-dies-of-bubonic-plague-in-kyrgyzstan-after-being-b itten-by-infected-flea-8785775.html]

A week to identify cause of death. Containment area may need to be bigger as contamination may have spread further.

eee.
edit on 28/8/13 by Esrom Escutcheon Esquire because: Links.. the usual... Probably still going nowhere...

link   

I also want to make sure to add that I don't think it's any fault of yours that this caused you concern. You're absolutely correct in that they do teach the subject of The Black Death and bubonic plague in high school. When I took microbiology and immunology and pathology, things like the bubonic plague were discussed from the "Black Death" period of history and other diseases such as hantavirus and ebola were taught in such a way that allowed the perception that these were diseases that existed in Africa. I was really quite surprised, even as someone who took university level courses in that specific subject matter, to find that all three actually exist in what is called the "Native SW" after I moved into the area, itself. It was a very shocking realization. That massive red glob in the Four Corners region is largely native reservations (Navajo, Hopi, and Ute) and that's where I had moved to.

When they teach about the Black Death in school, it gives a lot people the sense that the disease simply "disappeared" and so an incident of the plague today would seem to be a "reappearance" of a possible pandemic. In a lot of ways, these are examples of the failings of our school system when it allows or favors misinterpretation or does not properly disclose that the disease currently exists within our own country, where or even that, with early detection, it's treatable. It's also, sadly, the reason why every year in the Native SW there's usually a tourist within the area that falls down sick because they did not know and thought a prairie dog was cute. They should teach this information as a comparison from the past to the present for full historical perspective.

posted on Aug, 28 2013 @ 05:51 PM
link   

Yeah, that's true.

I kinda had the "naive" belife that the Black Death/Bubonic Plauge was an extinct disease back in School.

I would like to find out more about the area where this disease has happened, so hopefully more info will turn up.

Plus id like to know what's happend to the other three with Plague like symptoms hope MSM keeps us informed.

Here is the latest I can find -

The Hindu Times

Four people have been hospitalised and 160 quarantined after a 15 year-old boy who ate marmot meat died of the bubonic plague last week, the Kyrgyzstan Ministry of Health said on Wednesday. The Ministry in the Central Asian nation said the boy told medics he spent the previous week camping in the mountains where he had eaten barbecued marmot, a large ground squirrel that typically lives in mountainous areas. The Ministry of Health established quarantine in parts of the mountainous North-east, but said there was no risk of an epidemic. Four residents in the boy’s village were hospitalised on Wednesday after complaining of fever, though none had contact with the boy. A high fever is a common symptom of many diseases, such as the flu or measles.

This source seems to be down playing the death more than Western sources.

eee.
edit on 28/8/13 by Esrom Escutcheon Esquire because: Add quote.

posted on Aug, 28 2013 @ 06:12 PM
link   
just thought id ad this for conversations sake if anything please watch

www.youtube.com...

posted on Aug, 28 2013 @ 06:13 PM
link   
We all know that is just code for Zombies....
The door are opened and the devil is free..
Oh and this happened right near a US Air force base called Manas.
Bishkek

edit on 28-8-2013 by Thorneblood because: (no reason given)

edit on 28-8-2013 by Thorneblood because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 28 2013 @ 06:24 PM
link   

Very interesting, my GF does work for Fish and Game here in Arizona. She does a lot of prairie dog tracking, which has occasional colony collapse due to bubonic plague.

I learned about Bubonic Plague in High School, that's where I learned about the origin of the 'boo-boo'

posted on Aug, 28 2013 @ 06:27 PM
link   

I guess bed bugs would be a carrier just like fleas would.

That's pretty scary when you think of the third world travel in and out of the US, and the near epidemic of bed bug infestations in our large urban areas.

Staying at a hotel is getting to be a pretty scary proposition these days.

posted on Aug, 28 2013 @ 11:31 PM
link   

If the disease was caught in them early enough, they will most likely survive. The biggest cause of death for plague is it not being identified until it's too late. That is probably the reason why the others who lived nearby within the small mountain village are quarantined. The name of the village is Ichke-Jerghez. Total population: 1913. So, very, very small population and less than 10% of the population quarantined. Definitely will not be an outbreak.

goo.gl...
en.wikipedia.org...

I actually think the Hindu Times is a pretty good outlet. Not a whole lot of fear mongering from them ever and they usually jam pack their stories with information.

reply to post by atsmediapro

Wouldn't surprise me and could explain why there were sometimes less prairie dogs than in other years. Always had to do with how the monsoon season went...at least that's what my Nat Am friends told me. There was a hantavirus outbreak out there years and years ago that killed 11, iirc. It was a bit of a trip to actually live out there though. I was a suburban/city girl and to suddenly find myself living in a place where there were a half a dozen insects that could kill me, a single bite from an ant would cause my entire back to inflame, and where the threat of plague and hantavirus were real...well...a lot of times, I wondered why the heck I moved there, Hats off to your GF...she's a brave soul.

posted on Aug, 29 2013 @ 04:35 PM
link   

Hi there.

It does seem that they don't "Sensationalise" like our standard western media.

RT have picked up the story too -
Related RT News Story on current topic

Seems there level headed too and the following Quote also has a go at media concerning the outbreak and over reacting -

The Kyrgyz government now accuses the media of sparking global panic over a confirmed case of bubonic plague death.

"The current situation in Ak-Suy district is under control of doctors and epidemiologists of the republic and there are no reasons to worry and fan up tension among local residents and the world public ," the government statement is cited by Itar-Tass news agency.

I have also attached the following link to ABC News -

ABC News - Bubonic Plauge

Its two days old and gives insight to early reporting of the outbreak.

eee.

new topics

top topics

join