It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Dividing by zero

page: 5
<< 2  3  4   >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 5 2013 @ 10:19 PM
link   
reply to post by zatara

' When r is equal to zero'
So the question is whether r can be zero but still contain mass in the real universe. r can be infinitesimally small like a single Angstrom or even less (eg a single quark) and still be non-zero while the singularity of near-zero diameter has near infinite (but still measurably finite) density.

I still ask whether 'black holes' actually exist as they're something of a mathematical speculation formed to pose a possible explanation of observations. I can imagine that sufficient accumulated matter may reach a tipping point where gravity is strong enough to collapse the matter into a gigantic nucleus with all particles in intimate contact but it would not have zero diameter.

Infinity is a creation of ours in an attempt to explain the inexplicable. When I encounter it it's usually because I tried to calculate the tangent of an angle too close to 90 degrees or some other asymptotic function close to its limits. 'Virtual' zeros and infinities are manageable unlike the real absolutes we can write on paper with simple symbols.

(my first post under the 'new' ATS look)
edit on 5/9/2013 by Pilgrum because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 15 2013 @ 02:40 PM
link   
A discuss on division by zero

posted on Sep, 17 2013 @ 02:11 AM
link   
reply to post by tremex

Study classical math, and understand that one instance of 'undefined' is not the same as any other instance of it.

<< 2  3  4   >>

join