It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Social Conditioning and Miley Cyrus VMA performance. (I didn't think I'd ever care about this)

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 28 2013 @ 11:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by wishful1gnorance
reply to post by olaru12

is it empty if you garner the support of people who can make a difference, through the use of your words? Is it necessary that I start a multi-national weapon's manufacturing conglomerate so that I can stop the X-hundred billion dollar tax evasion schemes, or so I can only sell my weapons to the people that deserve them?

Right....dumbass hyperbole will surely gain you plenty of support thru the use of your words.

posted on Aug, 28 2013 @ 11:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by Chamberf=6
reply to post by olaru12

I bet Pat Robertson could help him set up that channel.

Pat Robertson is in enough trouble right now in that other thread about gays giving people aids.

Miley... who cares, she's a kid. They do off the wall stuff.

posted on Aug, 28 2013 @ 12:01 PM
link   
People need to keep in mind that Miley Cyrus is 20 years old, she isn't a kid.

If you allow your kid to idolize a 20 year old, it is your problem...not the 20 year old.

The whole premise of this thread though, that performances like Miley is going to make kids want to have sex early is just on it's face ridiculous.

One thing drives kids wanting to have sex, hormones, that's it.

posted on Aug, 28 2013 @ 12:04 PM
link   
Well this didn't take long, going from having somewhat of a conversation to blatant mockery from multiple members by the 2nd page. ATS hasn't changed much, bring up a real point of view, with a logical conclusion that has been at least decently laid out for review, to be belittled and shut down before it has a chance to reach the ears of others. I knew ATS had a reason for being here.

My view is not that far fetched. As far as it being nature's place to decide when to become sexually active, I can agree that mid-teens is around the time that happens. But look at who the Miley's Fans are, they are very young girls ranging from the ages of 8-14, who are extremely impressionable. To say that performances like this, while they may garner shock and awe to increase sales and publicity, are not still detrimental to the development of young women's minds, is ludicrous. That detriment may over-ride nature's will and cause girls to become sexually active long before their bodies are ready. If you can't see that as a possibility, then of course there is no room for conversation.

posted on Aug, 28 2013 @ 12:08 PM
link   
reply to post by AlienScience

The world is rarely black and white, there are lots of grey areas. To say that it's impossible that girls who idolize an older woman/girl may thing it's cool to reenact the images they've seen her do is not that crazy. Monkey see, monkey do. Cause and effect.

Also miley hasn't always been 20, and most of her fans have idolized her through a TV channel aimed at young tweens.
edit on 28-8-2013 by wishful1gnorance because: editing

posted on Aug, 28 2013 @ 12:23 PM
link   

reply to post by AlienScience

The world is rarely black and white, there are lots of grey areas. To say that it's impossible that girls who idolize an older woman/girl may thing it's cool to reenact the images they've seen her do is not that crazy. Monkey see, monkey do. Cause and effect.

Also miley hasn't always been 20, and most of her fans have idolized her through a TV channel aimed at young tweens.

This all is on the shoulders of the parents....not Miley.

You can't expect Miley Cyrus to teach your kid what to do, you can't expect a complete stranger to live her life in a way you think is acceptable for your child.

I'm curious what your "solution" is though...would you like to legislate sexuality?

posted on Aug, 28 2013 @ 12:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by AlienScience

This all is on the shoulders of the parents....not Miley.

You can't expect Miley Cyrus to teach your kid what to do, you can't expect a complete stranger to live her life in a way you think is acceptable for your child.

I'm curious what your "solution" is though...would you like to legislate sexuality?

I provided my solution right out of the gate, to take heed the next time miss little wholesome super star consumes your children's attention. That it is likely that she won't always have the same morals. I never mentioned legislation, I never blamed Miley, I never even really cared about it that much up until today. I'm just providing a different point of view.

Why must I stand on the gates of the far left or far right, why must my views be so extreme in your eyes? They aren't... I like to think that people need to be accountable for their own actions. Which is something young adolescent rarely consider. Of course it's the parent's job to moderate their children's behavior, and to educate their children about sex. Is it wrong that I simply raise the POV that TV specials that encourage this type of immoral behavior might inhibit that process? That outside influences might take hold of your child's actions. I certainly know I didn't listen to everything my parent's told me, and they weren't aware of everything I watched and observed in the world.

Also, is it awful to suggest that maybe superstars should take some accountability for what kind of message they are sending? If your role-model as a child turned out to be a degenerate, how would that affect you? Would you follow in their footsteps or separate from their path? As an educated adult, I'd assume you'd take it for what it is and head on your way, but what if that transition came at an impressionable time? Can you say for sure you'd make the right decision? There are many possibilities as to what can happen, to completely rule out or say that something is impossible leaves little room for preparation for the consequences.

posted on Aug, 28 2013 @ 12:45 PM
link   
Good point OP

I hear the naysayers and disagree and think that hormones light the fires of sexuality and influences such as these VMAs with Miley and other performances like Rihanna performing at the kids choice awards do give direction to those hormonally driven sexual urges.

Of course I cant state as certain that those involved in the production of these shows intend to sexualize kids at an early age but that doesn't mean those consequences dont exist. Children and preteens do try at times to emulate the behavior of elders including their idols. If Miley shows her sexy off, somewhere a little Janey America wants to be the same kind of sexy( read trashy) likewise when Rihanna performed Rude Boy for the Nickelodeon she too was selling and promoting fun and vigorous sex to a preteen audience.

So in all heres another reminder of the low value of the entertainment industries' products.

There are more dangers than just whats going on in Syria and climate change. If our young people are too busy being hyped up and horny, they reduce the resources available to us as a country in the future.

posted on Aug, 28 2013 @ 12:46 PM
link   
Reply to post by wishful1gnorance

I actually really like her most recent song (we can't stop). Yes, I can almost use my sixth sense to feel your disapproving glares into your screens while angrily mouthing obscenities at my avatar. So judgmental in such a small time span, it's a pity really.
So I will dift back into my little world filled with cotton candy and endliss bliss. Should I cater to your dark thoughts of war, death, and punishment...not right now, but maybe if your masochistic tendencies become overbearing.
Is it social conditioning? Or is it just perhaps a carefree sexually uncontrollable young woman enjoying the best years of her life on a world stage. Endless eyes peering at what the great country of America has to offer to a world filled with repressed women. Stripping down the conservative social morals implanted in minds from our Purtian ancestors and shoving it down their throats.
The menstrual cycle age was unheard of decades ago; our women are getting older a lot younger. Is it our poisonous environment, or the

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Aug, 28 2013 @ 12:52 PM
link   
reply to post by wishful1gnorance

I'm sorry, I just think you are overreacting, To Miley's trashy performance.

How many young men are fascinated with blood, gore, torture, murder and violence in either the media, video games, role playing etc.

Yes, it's a bad influence but it's not as near powerful as you make it out to be. Give the kids a little credit for knowing fantasy from reality.

Nothing will replace responsible parenting.

posted on Aug, 28 2013 @ 12:53 PM
link   
If people are offended by Miley Cyrus sex act, they should stop watching TV. There are much other pressing concerns going on besides good girl turning bad. This little sex act is just the tip of the iceberg in degeneration of morals. If you want 100% wholesome TV watch Pat Robertson, and not icarly.

Does America always need a 'Good Shepard' to show them how to think?

posted on Aug, 28 2013 @ 12:53 PM
link   
Reply to post by wishful1gnorance

The unrelenting expectations to succeed in life, or maybe we are just evolving to keep up with the biology of men (being colder, harder, leaner)?
So it is so vital to protect innocent children from atrocities such as good ole Hannah Montana. But guess what, these unpure girls/women are already here and there is nothing that anyone can do to put that Pandora right back in her box. The truly liberal American woman is a force to be reckoned with...shoving her shaved pig-tailed head, corset wearing, butt grinding self all over anyone who passes judgement.

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Aug, 28 2013 @ 12:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by MasterAndMargarita
But guess what, these unpure girls/women are already here and there is nothing that anyone can do to put that Pandora right back in her box. The truly liberal American woman is a force to be reckoned with...shoving her shaved pig-tailed head, corset wearing, butt grinding self all over anyone who passes judgement.

ummmm................are you SAG/AFTRA and have an agent???

edit on 28-8-2013 by olaru12 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 28 2013 @ 12:58 PM
link   
reply to post by MasterAndMargarita

I'm all for a woman's right to explore her sexuality, I'm not berating that what-so-ever. As an 'adult' that's very appropriate. Is a superstar slapping hands with a crowd of very young girls while wearing next to nothing on stage surrounding by imagery of a young girl's child hood (like teddy bear and cotton candy) exactly the message we want to be sending to our female youth? I'm pretty sure that's counter-intuitive to creating strong independent women, and only aids in furthering misogynistic overtones in our society; creating women that are nice to look at but provide no further means for productive relationships, that can celebrate a woman's intelligence and not her body. Personally I'm a Sapiosexual, I'm attracted to a woman's ability to use her mind, in fact my gf is part of a few honor's societies, on the dean's list at an all women college, and payed for it with hard work to earn scholarships.

posted on Aug, 28 2013 @ 12:59 PM
link   

Well this didn't take long, going from having somewhat of a conversation to blatant mockery from multiple members by the 2nd page. ATS hasn't changed much, bring up a real point of view, with a logical conclusion that has been at least decently laid out for review, to be belittled and shut down before it has a chance to reach the ears of others. I knew ATS had a reason for being here.

Please clarify how this thread has been "shut down". If you are adamant about your views, please stick to your guns and learn something from the differing opinions sprouting from your OP. By saying learn, I do not mean to be influenced. I mean, absorb the various ways others view this circumstance. My personal opinion on this whole thing does not align with yours, but that does not mean I don't respect your given right to voice that opinion. Ultimately the solution lies within the gray areas and may never bear fruit.

Personally, I can't stand the term "twerk" or condone anything Miley has done period. Let's just say I am not surprised by her actions.

posted on Aug, 28 2013 @ 01:05 PM
link   
reply to post by benrl

Please, give that crap a rest. People who care about Syria will care about Syria, and people who don't will care about other things. Does Miley Cyrus somehow change your personal focus on Syria? No? Then why would it affect anyone else's? Conspiracy garbage.

posted on Aug, 28 2013 @ 01:06 PM
link   
reply to post by olaru12

OUr thoughts become our character, our character becomes our actions. Is the effect immediate? Or Can it be slow and drawn out? Can one show affect how people perceive themselves or their world? I don't believe I'm stretching it to far, we are the products of our environment. While I personally know little-to-nothing about the pop culture world, mainly because I have better things to do with my time, I still don't think it's safe for parent's to let their kids indulge in this crap. The war video games and such do affect children. In the paper here last week a 12 year old boy shot and elderly man after playing war games for one to many hours. The week before headlines hit the nation about a young boy who shot a 3 month year old baby between the eyes after an attempted robbery went wrong.

There are plenty of outlets for moral degeneration, I'm choosing to focus on one. The dimensions of the decay are vast and can't be tackled in one paper, at least not in depth without loosing interest. I think you give it too little credit.

posted on Aug, 28 2013 @ 01:08 PM
link   
I don't know, I honestly don't think it was that bad. I didn't watch the show in full but did go to see the controversy afterwards.

Does no one here remember Madonna in the 80's? I worshipped her when I was little still her antics never made me walk the streets of LA nude why? Because I had parents who explained to me that she was acting and that what she did on stage and off she could do because she was an adult.

Miley is what 20 now i beleive or older....she is in fact an adult and she now has that right to act like one. Frankly I admire her for sticking to her sweet Disney roots until she became an adult (very hard to do nowadays).

Adults have every right to be a sexually provocitive as they like.......especially performers.

posted on Aug, 28 2013 @ 01:10 PM
link   
reply to post by exdog5

I'm a learner, I haven't backed down from anything, nor given up.

Imagine if my reply to you, about your serious and well articulated comment was, "who cares?" or belittled or mocked it... how is that conducive to talking about a subject?

The phrase... You can lead a horse to water... comes to mind.

I know different points of views are going to be thrown in the mix, some I'll concede, others I'll dispute, but some are just worth dismissing, which is what I did.

posted on Aug, 28 2013 @ 01:17 PM
link   

There are plenty of outlets for moral degeneration, I'm choosing to focus on one. The dimensions of the decay are vast and can't be tackled in one paper, at least not in depth without loosing interest. I think you give it too little credit.

Moral degeneration to one person is artistic and personal expression to another.

Good luck with your crusade amigo; Iv'e got movies to make. Sorry they might be a bit caustic and poke a little fun at those people suffering from aesthetic constipation.

My offer still stands...join us in the New Media revolution and tell it the way you see it.

www.celtx.com...

Being a crybaby will get you nowhere!!
edit on 28-8-2013 by olaru12 because: (no reason given)

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join