It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Social Conditioning and Miley Cyrus VMA performance. (I didn't think I'd ever care about this)

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 28 2013 @ 11:00 AM
link   
So, I guess I was left in the dark about the whole controversy that Miley Cyrus's performance stirred up the other day. I don't watch TV and if I did I probably wouldn't have watched the VMA's anyway. However after seeing the memes flood the web and some of the other nonsensical things I've heard about it, I decided to watch the 6.5 minute 'show'. First of all, I'm not a parent with a young daughter, which understandably is the group of people most appalled by it. However that doesn't mean I can't see where their complaints arise from. This scenario is nothing new to us though, it's happened dozens of times in the last decade, one thing happens in the media that's a little scandalous on prime time TV and parents are usually the first to be in an uproar.

I do want to point out that Miley Cyrus is no Janet Jackson nipple slip. Most younger girls have no idea who Janet Jackson is or cared. They do know who Hanna Montana aka Miley Cyrus is, they after all grew up watching this wholesome pop star. A girl that stood for some kind of ditzy, ironically good morals. Fast-forward and mix her with a few of today's pop songs that are all about SEX SEX SEX, and dress her in some sort of ugly one piece corset, with imagery of children's teddy bears and booty poppin' queens surrounding her, you are asking for our already precocious girls developing an even stronger affinity for sex at an early age. I did my fair share of naughty things as a teenager, and 14-16 was around the time many people in my age group lost their virginity, but in a few years down the road, the norm will be 11-13, if it isn't already, and that is caused by social media introducing acts like this. Is 14-16 to young to be sexually active, probably, maybe... it's about the right time, a little after puberty people start experimenting. Is 11-13, or younger, to early for kids to be sexually active?.... definitely.

I think we can all agree on this though, sexually active adolescents become less focused on what is necessary for them to accomplish at that age, be it extra-curricular activities, grades in school, or a healthy and productive family life. You mix in the rest of the problems our country is experiencing right now and you have a good formula for raising a generation of workers that have no clue how to question their surroundings, because of the distractions they received when they should have been getting an education. I'm not saying it's all bad, but this performance did seem to be a pinnacle to the issue of social conditioning, and if someone where to confront Miley about it in this light, she'd have no idea what the f**k they're talking about, but then again, she didn't plan the show, or pick her wardrobe, or setup the stage... or really even add any talent to it; she is just an idol to be used how the media sees fit. She just adds the coochie grabbin' and hip thrusting when they ask her to, or pay her to, I'm not sure where her morals stand these days.

So what is there to do? unfortunately not much, the imagery has already been put out there, yet another wholesome pop-queen turned to a raunchy bimbo in the eyes of adolescents (Brittney Spears was the first, it worked well that time around, as you can see most of that generation of girls struggle with comprehension of anything), so this is round two.... I guess all that we can do is learn our lesson, and the next time some teeny-bopper from disney gets a little too big for her britches, we should all put our antennas up and realize maybe we shouldn't let our kids watch this stuff, because a Good Girl can turn into Whore in a heart-beat, and that is certainly not the message you want your children to get.

+9 more 
posted on Aug, 28 2013 @ 11:06 AM
link   
Yes lets please all focus on Miley Cyrus...

Dont look at the situation to closely with Syria cause Miley shaking her @$$ on tv.

Wouldn't be surprised if some record executive got a call to distract the sheep.

posted on Aug, 28 2013 @ 11:10 AM
link   
Things like the Miley Cyrus incident is just another method of dumbing down and desensitizing the American population. What I gathered from the 'performance' is pretty much what the OP did.

"Let's get children interested in sex at 11 years old, much like the 3rd world."

Yet more social engineering to rot the core of the American familial and societal structure. And as you 'shock and awe' the population with that garbage, the powers that be continue their warmongering.

*I admit it, I'm old fashioned... but we have to maintain some order*

posted on Aug, 28 2013 @ 11:15 AM
link   
reply to post by wishful1gnorance

I get your point but this is just business, not social conditioning.

Sex and controversy garners viewers which in turn translates into advertising $$$. Miley Cyrus has just cemented a fan and view base and they will tune in to see her next programmed foolish antics.

Sex sells!!! Not quite as well as graphic violence but still pretty well. This type of programming is planned, scripted, executed and promoted to lure viewers away from competing programs in the same time slot.

Media has expert researchers working to find out what will "appeal" to every type of demographic, and they give the viewers what they want and expect.

For every performer on TV or in the movies there are a thousand other people working in the background. It's an industry, only making entertainment instead of shoes, or bicycles, or growing bananas.

There is no entertainment cabal scheming to pervert the morals of youth or people in general. Americans are more than capable of perverting themselves and culture all on their own. Blaming the media is just a way to not take personal responsibility for general decadence and trailer trash behavior by the public at large. The media is just a symptom of a culture on the decline, not the cause.

European media has a much more open and sexual content and if anything they are more conservative than Americans. go figure.

edit on 28-8-2013 by olaru12 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 28 2013 @ 11:26 AM
link   
reply to post by benrl

Valid point, I do not mean to distract, it was simply an outlet, I feel as though I can talk about multiple subjects in a day. Honestly the TPPA is what I'm concerned with the most, the Syria propaganda is a close 2nd. I just don't like when people mind f**k our future leaders. I didn't see anyone else pointing it out, hence the OP. We have plenty of people here on ATS writing about Syria at the moment... Still, very valid point you propose.

posted on Aug, 28 2013 @ 11:28 AM
link   
reply to post by olaru12

I don't see why it can't be both. Sure it's good business, but if we limit the action's definition we are sure to blind ourselves from the future consequences.

Also, generalizations don't help you're point, not all Americans are the same, just as the pedophile down the street from you, isn't you. Certainly if many of us can see social conditioning in the media, why would it be so preposterous to assume that maybe there is some say in award ceremonies that bring in lots of viewers. I mean if they wanted to be efficient, they kill to birds with one stone, by providing a distraction while perverting minds.
edit on 28-8-2013 by wishful1gnorance because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 28 2013 @ 11:31 AM
link   
I think Miley is trash and will be the next "star" visiting the rehab clinic or be in jail. I honestly don't care.

But come on guys, teenagers are horny...not because of TV, not because of Miley, not because of MTV....it's because HORMONES. Kids have always been horny, there really is nothing wrong with it.

What we should be doing them is educating them about sex, pregnancy and diseases...instead of worrying about their "purity" or some other non-sense.

We were all teenagers once, I didn't need Miley twerking on TV to make me horny.

posted on Aug, 28 2013 @ 11:32 AM
link   
The final seal of the apocalypse has been broken.Come to find out the seal was actually Billy Rays' achey breaky heart .

posted on Aug, 28 2013 @ 11:36 AM
link   
reply to post by benrl

If you want to view threads on Syria there are PLENTY on the main page to do so. This is discussion forum and there are tons of different forums for various discussions. Just because you don't like a topic doesn't mean others don't want to discuss it. The OP has a point in a way. So why even come in here if you don't care? Go to the Syria threads if that is your main concern. You do know people can be interested in both topics at the same time? Shocking i know...

I saw this performance after it was all over the internet. I don't have cable and even if I did I wouldn't have watched the VMA's anyway. MTV lost me over 10yrs ago.

Miley did have some say in this performance and her "people" went nuts afterwards because her rehearsal was pretty tame. They had no idea she would do what she did. Apparently it wasn't what she had rehearsed. Well all I have to say to that is they obviously DONT know her very well! Hell I don't even follow her. I only see what she does because I follow one celebrity blogger on FB and it doesn't take a genius to figure out that she was going to do something shocking for attention. I mean look at how she keeps getting more and more explicit with her image and lyrics. We get it Miley you are not some innocent Disney child anymore. She needs to realize you can be scandalous and shocking without being vulgar and down right disgusting. I guess in today's media bad publicity is better than no publicity and if you ever follow any kind of gossip mag or blog you will see that the more vulgar and trashy you are today the more popular you become. It's like the new shock value for this generation and I find it disturbing. I'm glad i don't have a teenage daughter right now.

posted on Aug, 28 2013 @ 11:38 AM
link   
reply to post by AlienScience

I'm not talking about teenagers being horny, I can accept that, I'm talking about preteens. It makes me very cautious of raising a child in the future because I don't know if my ten year old is going to get f*****d silly in middle school, and not because of my parenting but because of outside influences. If you're cool with that... well, I'm not going to point fingers.

posted on Aug, 28 2013 @ 11:42 AM
link   

Wow.

Jumping from an idiot performing on MTV to your 10 year old getting "f-d silly".

LEAP.

posted on Aug, 28 2013 @ 11:44 AM
link   
Well billy ray was a chip n dale, like father like daughter?

posted on Aug, 28 2013 @ 11:45 AM
link   
meh who cares, i wouldnt read too much into it..miley is acting like a scank to get a reaction..to shock and be provacative, thats what so called musicians(cant believe miley and musician in same sentence) do when they dont really have true talent. like so many pop artists today..i guess really pop has nothing to do with taste or talent but its what the masses apparently want or buy
most peoples taste is in their socks

edit on 28-8-2013 by vonclod because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 28 2013 @ 11:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by wishful1gnorance
reply to post by olaru12

I don't see why it can't be both. Sure it's good business, but if we limit the action's definition we are sure to blind ourselves from the future consequences.

Fine....

Why don't you start up a moralistic channel, get some advertising dollars, design your own type of healthy, clean programming and be the change against what you are bitching against.

So Change the "future consequences".....America is still the land of opportunity. I have a small production company; join us with your own vision.

Start here....
www.celtx.com...

Write it, produce it and film it....put it up on public access TV, the web, ...the platforms are available to everyone.

Complaining without positive action is just empty BS. Help us "deny ignorance" with positive tangible action. Starting a thread on ATS is just a miniscule beginning.

Concerned about your daughters future? Get to work!!!

edit on 28-8-2013 by olaru12 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 28 2013 @ 11:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by wishful1gnorance
reply to post by AlienScience

I'm not talking about teenagers being horny, I can accept that, I'm talking about preteens. It makes me very cautious of raising a child in the future because I don't know if my ten year old is going to get f*****d silly in middle school, and not because of my parenting but because of outside influences. If you're cool with that... well, I'm not going to point fingers.

And you have evidence that there is a pandemic of pre-teens out having sex? I'm sure there are cases, but at least in my area I don't see it.

14-15, that seems to be the age throughout history were kids start having raging hormones. Hormones can't be triggered early by watching Miley twerk, it is a biological thing. Some will start earlier, some will start later. It seems like 14-15 is when you start to see a good portion of kids getting interested in sex.

Parenting has a lot to do with how kids will act when their hormones start to kick in...you can't shelter your child, all you can do is educate them and prepare them as best you can. If your daughter wants to go out and have sex at 14, not a damn thing you can do about it. I don't care if she is watching Miley twerk or if she is raised in an Amish community...nature takes over nurture at some point.

posted on Aug, 28 2013 @ 11:47 AM
link   
reply to post by Chamberf=6

diminishing the argument by ad ridiculum, nice tactic. I'm pretty sure the T&C requires you to add to the conversation or to just continue on your way. There is clearly a logical path between the two ends. And that nit-wit we are all bashing makes 10x more than most of us combined. So maybe she's not as dumb as we'd like to believe.

posted on Aug, 28 2013 @ 11:48 AM
link   
reply to post by olaru12

I bet Pat Robertson could help him set up that channel.

posted on Aug, 28 2013 @ 11:49 AM
link   
Corrupting and sexualising children is an important aspect of ensuring new generations of failed people are dependent on the government for most of their lives.

Miley Cyrus has reinforced the dangerous lie that sex makes you cool and grown up, and freely expressing your natural urges is how one asserts themselves in adult society.

The consequences will be identical to the 'Free Love" movement: Unwed teenage mothers who will vote for ever more and ever better entitlements, and the abortion industry gets their piece of the pie; keeping their cash flow rushing in.

Who benefits by this corruption of culture? Tax-fattened Big Government advocates at all levels who are quick to remind us all that Big Government will solve our every problem, thus also ensuring their own continued power and control.

This also reduces women to being only valued for the worth of their reproductive organs, for political gain.

I can think of few more vile forms of oppression than what masquerades as Progressive! & Forward! in this country.

posted on Aug, 28 2013 @ 11:51 AM
link   
reply to post by olaru12

is it empty if you garner the support of people who can make a difference, through the use of your words? Is it necessary that I start a multi-national weapon's manufacturing conglomerate so that I can stop the X-hundred billion dollar tax evasion schemes, or so I can only sell my weapons to the people that deserve them?

posted on Aug, 28 2013 @ 11:51 AM
link   

What in my comment is against T&C's??

I responded to your post above mine and relayed that I think it's all much ado about nothing in the end.

Leaping to your 10 year old having sex and pointing the finger at Miley Cyrus is just silly.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join