It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Abandoned Dogs Of Detroit

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 28 2013 @ 11:04 PM
link   
The formation of feral dogs creating packs is an extremely dangerous situation for Detroit. When I lived on a reservation, packs of wild dogs were a very bad problem in terms of dog attacks and disease. You couldn't take a walk out there without having some sort of big stick for defense. A year after I moved away, a man was found who had been killed and partially eaten by such a pack. Really not good for such a thing to be occurring within a city.

posted on Aug, 29 2013 @ 03:31 AM
link   
reply to post by WhiteAlice

It is greatly disheartening that something like this literally gets virtually zero attention.

posted on Aug, 29 2013 @ 03:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by chiefsmom
reply to post by doobydoll

I feel the same way. I can't imagine a situation where I would have to, but if I did have to, I would be a complete wreck.
Living in my car would be a pain, since one is so huge, but, at least he would be a source of heat!

I have two huge mastiff boys, big cuddly bears lol, and I don't have a car, so the three of us would have to hoof it. I would be more than happy to do that if the alternative is to abandon them.

They have helped me get through some pretty harrowing times the last 13 or so years, no human would have put up with me lol. But every morning I awoke to two big furry, happy faces stood over me, ears forward, tails wagging, eager to spend another day with unimportant old me. Who couldn't smile at that? lol.

It would never cross their minds to leave me to fend for myself, how could I ever desert them when they needed me most?

Me and my boys are a pack, we either all go, or we all stay.

posted on Aug, 29 2013 @ 04:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by Egyptia
reply to post by WhiteAlice

It is greatly disheartening that something like this literally gets virtually zero attention.

Yes. It's even more disheartening to see it going on within what was once one of the largest cities in the US. My ex used to say that the reservation that we lived upon was like a third world country in a lot of ways. I tried saving a puppy out there once. It didn't end well. Disease. Dogs are wonderful animals but I learned very quickly that no matter the color, length, or pattern of their fur, they can very quickly becomes wolves but without the genetics to survive. That was the reality out there and it was hellish.

In Detroit, they have an estimated 50,000 stray dogs starting to run in packs. On the Navajo Reservation, there are half a million. Detroit needs to get it under control and rapidly or the population will grow and the next generation will be more feral than the previous. Couple articles that should shed some light on what happens when dogs start going wild and forming packs. Just keep in mind that cities don't generally have cattle or sheep and ignore the asinine claim about "some tribes" in the NBC article. Not all tribes are the same.

www.wptv.com...
www.nbcnews.com...

posted on Aug, 29 2013 @ 04:54 AM
link   

I know people who would never do that not even those that claim they love us the most. Very few people in this world have the devotion and truth that our little furry friends have. Most are hypocrites and spend their days making you suffer in one way or another while pretending to be 'all that'. People are wrapped up in their selfishness while serving themselves principally while dogs however are a little piece of heaven in this hell of an earth knowing only how to be there for us no matter what. If anything they can teach us a thing or two about love and devotion.

They just want to love us regardless of how screwed up and imperfect we are. They don't know how to lie and they don't know how to treat us like sh*t while people excel at hiding behind many hidden motives while professing love and the truth not having a clue! Dogs don't care if we are poor, ugly or utterly alone. Times can be rough, they can be hungry and cold but they are still there loving us with their deep eyes wagging their tales living for the moment in the comfort of your caress.

I wish to G-d people could have even once ounce of that! Then maybe we would begin to understand what Jesus tried to teach us in a true 'Love". I honestly don't know what to say about people but I do know what to say about these little critters. That says a lot about the human condition!

It's easy to tire of people even in all their fake claims of love that over time show themselves to be false....dogs however truly love without fail. I often think that they have an important purpose to help us learn how to Love in this world. Lord knows we need all the help we can get!

I am not romanticizing their primal qualities of survival and killer instincts. Just like humans all animals have that fierce ability and tendency within them if faced with survival. Even so many dogs I have seen and worked on that were in dire straits responded in a Love and not with their predatory primal instincts. However, like all creatures pitted against survival including and especially humans the weak die first and the strongest survive at what ever cost.
edit on 29-8-2013 by Egyptia because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 29 2013 @ 06:43 AM
link   

My big boy is a Mastiff as well! (I thought your avatar pic looked familiar!) Unfortunately, we think he has wobblers. He is only 14 Months old, and we don't know how much time we have left with him.
edit on 29-8-2013 by chiefsmom because: afterthought

posted on Aug, 29 2013 @ 06:45 AM
link   
Just wanted to say thank you, to those who have posted here. It is a shame that this story isn't getting much attention, but I have been posting it everywhere I can think of, and will continue to do so.

posted on Aug, 29 2013 @ 06:48 AM
link   
I do not know anyone in Detroit - let alone the dogs there. It hurt me so much looking at the clip on that website and have pledged to donate monthly. I cannot sit by and do nothing! I love dogs so much and I just cannot understand how someone could just leave their dog behind. Why couldn't they take the dog with them or surrender them to a pound themselves? Did all their owners die or something??? I just don't get it. I am sorry but those people who left their dogs there are just pathetic, horrid people. I don't care about their situations. They could have found homes for them or if they really had to then surrender them to a pound for a chance of a new home or to be put to sleep peacefully.

Disgusting.

posted on Aug, 29 2013 @ 07:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by chiefsmom
No, neither could I.
I wish I could find the clip they showed last night. It was sad though. They found to dogs, still in the home that had been abandoned, laying in the bedroom, like they were waiting for the owner to come back.

They would have been.

My wife went to Melbourne for only 5 days and I found it hard seeing how our little dog reacted. Sitting by the window waiting for her to come home.

posted on Sep, 2 2013 @ 05:01 AM
link   
In the Philippines, wild dogs (err feral dogs?) are a common thing. They will run into your house, steal your food and possibly even infect you with something if you're not careful. This is why beating the crap out of them or scaring them is important when they are around, because they have the mentality of survival, not companionship. But some people get dogs for security purposes. Most dogs though are "homeless" and look much different than American dogs.

I do like dogs but not dogs in the Philippines, I really hate them. But American dogs are so much better in so many ways and people here tend to care about them a lot. In Detroit, what will likely happen is something like in the Philippines. I think Bob Barker will roll in his grave when it happens and those dogs will spread across the country in no time.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join