It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Abandoned Dogs Of Detroit

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 28 2013 @ 09:09 AM
link   
*********Pets Forum!********

We all know that the city of Detroit is in very bad shape.
But the one thing I hadn't thought about, was all the pets that get left behind when people abandoned their homes.

As many as 50,000 stray dogs roam the streets and vacant homes of bankrupt Detroit, replacing residents, menacing humans who remain and overwhelming the city’s ability to find them homes or peaceful deaths.

I just caught a bit of the story on the world news last night, so I went digging into more on the story.
Unfortunately, this has been going on for quite a while, and the problem is growing.

Not only are many of the dogs starving, but they are having problems with them forming packs.
Local Rapper Dan "Hush" Carlisle has formed a rescue and really seems to be helping, but can you even imagine how big the problem is, in a city this large?

Rescue
Problem

The big problem is the fact that Detroit itself is broke, and doesn't have the funds or the manpower to handle the dogs.
The other problem is that the poor that are still in the area are unable to care for their dogs in the area either. Some are turning them in.

As a dog owner, this just breaks my heart. I did make a donation to his rescue. I just wish I could give more.

Please people, remember to spay or neuter your pets!

posted on Aug, 28 2013 @ 09:15 AM
link   
Oh man this does break my heart.

And those 50,000 will turn into a million in no time.

Couldn't imagine abandoning my babies.

posted on Aug, 28 2013 @ 09:24 AM
link   
reply to post by AshleyD

No, neither could I.
I wish I could find the clip they showed last night. It was sad though. They found to dogs, still in the home that had been abandoned, laying in the bedroom, like they were waiting for the owner to come back.

posted on Aug, 28 2013 @ 09:31 AM
link   
Yea I have heard about the "roving" packs in Detroit, very dangerous situation. (Disease and safety being top)

BUT sadly this is one case where HUMANS should take priority, Detroit is a cess pool as is, charities geared there should be aimed at uplifting the PEOPLE of Detroit and not the animals.

If you want to end these animals suffering, as a dog owner myself of several (currently have 6 in my house) I would say it would be humane to end their suffering via euthanasia .

This is a case where the dangers and poverty of Detroit should out weight the concern for animals.
edit on 28-8-2013 by benrl because: (no reason given)

edit on 28-8-2013 by benrl because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 28 2013 @ 09:34 AM
link   
reply to post by chiefsmom

When I was poor as dirt living in my car I would miss meals so I could feed my dog.
I wish I could afford to go to detroit and start a rescue center for those poor dogs.

How long before the government decides to shoot them all?

posted on Aug, 28 2013 @ 09:40 AM
link   
reply to post by benrl

Even for the poor dogs that were just abandoned? I understand the packs are problems, as those dogs are much more likely to be aggressive, but I think the ones I described above, waiting for their owner to return, should be given a chance, if possible.

But the problem being right now, they don't even have the money to euthanize.

posted on Aug, 28 2013 @ 09:43 AM
link   
reply to post by Silcone Synapse

I'm sorry you had to go through that, but good for you still taking care of your friend.

To be honest, I wondered about them shooting them, since they can't afford euthanasia. Either way, it's a sad state they are in down there.

posted on Aug, 28 2013 @ 09:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by chiefsmom
reply to post by benrl

Even for the poor dogs that were just abandoned? I understand the packs are problems, as those dogs are much more likely to be aggressive, but I think the ones I described above, waiting for their owner to return, should be given a chance, if possible.

But the problem being right now, they don't even have the money to euthanize.

Yea, even for the poor dogs who lived in a home, had no idea how to survive with out human help, and than are abandoned to starve on their own.

Absolutely, As for not affording it, you are not going to like this, but I hear DHS recently bought a ton of "Euthanasia" tools, maybe they could borrow them.

I am a dog lover, I LOVE my dogs, they are my children, BUT I understand they are not people. I have the luxury of being able to care for and afford my dogs.

it saddens me it has gotten this bad in Detroit, but as a dog owner and lover of animals in general I understand that Humans can create situations where unfortunately the only alternative if you want to be "humane" is to put the animal down.

posted on Aug, 28 2013 @ 10:23 AM
link   
reply to post by benrl

Well, you right, I don't like it, but I get it. It's going to have to be done.

But I blame this on US. Bad humans. Irresponsible humans.

posted on Aug, 28 2013 @ 10:40 AM
link   

It's so sad for these dogs. What makes a person look at their faithful dog's face, leave it behind and feel nothing?

I try to imagine myself in such a situation where I would be forced to abandon my boys. It would tear me apart so bad that I don't think I could live with myself. I would have to go back for them.

The truth is my dogs have enriched my life. They have shown me so much love, loyalty, trust - all unconditional and for no ulterior motive, no deceit ever. I only have to pop out the house for 5 minutes and when I come back the greeting I get is equivalent to a human who's just had news they've won the lottery jackpot. They brighten my days. Such perfect souls.

I am at my happiest with my boys around. They are are priceless to me.

Not a question in my mind, I could never abandon them. Not for any reason. And certainly not to save my own skin.

posted on Aug, 28 2013 @ 11:00 AM
link   
reply to post by doobydoll

I feel the same way. I can't imagine a situation where I would have to, but if I did have to, I would be a complete wreck.
Living in my car would be a pain, since one is so huge, but, at least he would be a source of heat!

posted on Aug, 28 2013 @ 11:31 AM
link   

After reading and learning about this I don't think I can turn my back from doing a little something to help. Broke my heart. Thank you for bringing this to our attention.

Antar it didn't occur to me either which is literally a very disturbing thought considering it is not a 3rd world country. This shows us just how disconnected we really are from the true sources of information. They give us and highlight what they want us to focus on and the rest just goes by the wayside of life's drain.
edit on 28-8-2013 by Egyptia because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 28 2013 @ 11:39 AM
link   
It is hard to believe that this has not occurred to me as I fret and worry about ALL the animals worldwide, land, sea and air that I missed Detroit.

I have NO $$$ to give, what else can I do to help bring awareness to this horrible challenge? I am so so sorry, just sickened. This is depressing and hopeless.

People just don't realize that dogs are wise, wise behind their ears...

This is a picture of one of the brave and courageous recovery dogs from 911, look at the eyes, the window to the soul. This one is wise behind hims ears...

edit on 28-8-2013 by antar because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 28 2013 @ 12:23 PM
link   
reply to post by antar

Well, not that I'm a fan, but I did post one of the articles to my facebook page, to give it more attention. I would think just getting the information to as many people as you can would be a big help.

posted on Aug, 28 2013 @ 01:38 PM
link   
Just bumping this up.

posted on Aug, 28 2013 @ 01:42 PM
link   
I use to live in Detroit... They have graver concerns then dogs running around butIi get your point. Lets help those people that need it more right now...

posted on Aug, 28 2013 @ 02:36 PM
link   
I've been thinking about this all day, it it has me wondering.
They are estimating 50,000 dogs.
What happens when these dogs start traveling? I can really see this becoming a big problem for the towns surrounding Detroit as well.

If something isn't done, this could easily become a Michigan problem, as appose to just a Detroit problem.

posted on Aug, 28 2013 @ 02:36 PM
link   
They should put a bounty on them, say 5 bucks each. The poor people could make some money plus have something to eat.

posted on Aug, 28 2013 @ 03:24 PM
link   
Stray dogs are heart breaking and I hate seeing it anywhere.

FERAL dogs, on the other hand are serious and potentially lethal threats to anything they encounter which they are not scared by, IMO.

Detroit needs to put these animals down before they can be said to be generations removed from being anyone's family pet.

Any animal can turn feral. Dogs are among the worst for their cunning level of intelligence and Man's automatic reaction of pity and compassion. Would we be loving and warm to a hungry wolf? Outside of some very minor genetics and life experiences? That is what these are and/or will soon become. Woof.

posted on Aug, 28 2013 @ 03:35 PM
link   
reply to post by Wrabbit2000

I agree with the Feral dogs.
But this fellow and others are trying to deal with the poor dogs, that just got left, and some are still waiting in the homes, starving.
Those are the ones that really need help, before becoming Feral is their only option besides a slow and painful death.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join